Glorifying your life on Facebook...

edited May 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
What's up with that? Or even lying about it...why do people do it? It's probably one of the reason's I'm not on Facebook anymore. I even have family members who put up these facades of how great things are and I just kind of roll my eyes at it. I guess it's one thing to be proud, but at some point it seems to hit a shallow, dishonest area which leaves a bad taste of where your character stands.

I've never really thought about this much, cause I tend to just let it roll off my back, out of sight, out of mind. I'm not on there, so I don't care what people put up anymore. If that's what makes them happy, fine with me. However, the other night, a close friend who I don't see as often as I'd like anymore as he's been caught up with his house, and life, and he just doesn't go out much anymore, called to go get beers.

Anyway, he's always been technically challenged, but his girlfriend of 7 years got him on Facebook finally, and he was checking out his girlfriends page. He just saw things that seem to have him either worrired, or they actually hurt his feelings on the inside and he's kind of dwelling on it. One instance was she was talking to some guy back and forth where they seemed to be arguing, and he said he was sucked in for a second time and it's gotta be all or nothing for him to be with her, and he wanted to fly down to see her, and she told him that she loved him and misses him and thinks about him all the time. My buddy asked her about it, and she said oh, it was just some guy she went on 1 date with 12 years ago that she had a crush on, but then realized she didn't like him...The back and forth on facebook just didn't seem to add up to her reasoning.

He said there were a few other things too...like when they were out one night somebody in a car flipped them off because she accidently honked her horn, and that was it. Yet she wrote a story about how she went off on the girl in the other car about how ugly she was, and said she was alone with her dog, not that she was with him...all of which was untrue. And then some other thing about how she was talking to her old 'F' buddy from college and said she saw his band's name on a show list while her and her friend were partying it up and drinking at another show and said she put, "You know how we do." Except she apparently never went to the show, and it was supposed to be him and her, not her and a friend, and that she quit drinking a few years ago. After he talked to her about it, her page was private for a few days and then she added him on as a friend and he said things were deleted all of a sudden.

I didn't really know what to tell him. I wasn't going to tell him to leave a relationship of 7 years because of this, or to really drill her on this...it's not really my responsibility to intervene like that, but shit, seems like there's definitely something going on in her head that he never knew about. He said there were more instances of things like that. But it seems like it's bothering him on the inside.

So yeah, I don't really know how to respond...She could be just an attention whore...or it could be something worse, but I can't really make any assumptions. Holy hell, another reason I'm not on Facebook. It turns a strong 7 year relationship into a high school drama-fest. :lol:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Holy shit I'm really procrastinating at work! I didn't realize how long that was...and now I'm replying to my own post. :lol:
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,951
    Facebook facilitates drama for people who like drama, and if there wasn't facebook, they find it somewhere else. For everone else it's for laughs, occasional political rants, and pics of the kids.
  • Go Beavers wrote:
    Facebook facilitates drama for people who like drama, and if there wasn't facebook, they find it somewhere else. For everone else it's for laughs, occasional political rants, and pics of the kids.

Yeah, I remember those fun days in my late teens and early twenties on MySpace and Friendster and all the drama that went on there. Shit, it really was for laughs for me...I got tired of it though after a while, started ranting, then quit. :mrgreen:
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Everything you post/write on the internet is cashed and stored....it can be dug up by anybody, if you know where to look.

People need to remember this....what's that FaceBook parody site? You can type in ANY word, and it will pull any pic from FB that has been tagged with that word...

Also remember, any photos that you post to Twitter or FB no longer belong to you...the rights belong to Twitter/FB, and any company can take that pic, sell it, and keep the royalties.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • edited June 2011
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Everything you post/write on the internet is cashed and stored....it can be dug up by anybody, if you know where to look.

People need to remember this....what's that FaceBook parody site? You can type in ANY word, and it will pull any pic from FB that has been tagged with that word...

Also remember, any photos that you post to Twitter or FB no longer belong to you...the rights belong to Twitter/FB, and any company can take that pic, sell it, and keep the royalties.

I know Facebook had issues with Lamebook since they were posting crap that people posted on Facebook. I dunno how that lawsuit turned out though...if it ever got to courts.

Failblog started a facebook one too I believe some time ago.

Edit: Failbook!
    Post edited by Evil Merlin Part Deux on
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,222
    The only thing on facebook I lie about is my phone number. I wouldn't put my real number on the internet, so I just put 867-5309
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    RKCNDY wrote:

I think Mr. Weiner learned that lesson!!! :?
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    The only thing on facebook I lie about is my phone number. I wouldn't put my real number on the internet, so I just put 867-5309

I currently live on: 123 Sesame Street
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Lizard wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

I think Mr. Weiner learned that lesson!!! :?

"Mr. Weiner."

*giggles*
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Go Beavers wrote:

this

facebook, twitter etc aren't the problem...people are
  • The only thing on facebook I lie about is my phone number. I wouldn't put my real number on the internet, so I just put 867-5309

:lol: I just put all 5's, and some of my old online accounts I lived on 1234 Fake Street.
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238

:lol: I just put all 5's, and some of my old online accounts I lived on 1234 Fake Street.
    Hi, neighbor. I'm at 123 Fake Street.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Not on Facebook yet but promised some friends I'd go ahead and do it. Man, this thread is very educational! :wtf: :shifty:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Not on Facebook yet but promised some friends I'd go ahead and do it. Man, this thread is very educational! :wtf: :shifty:

if you have ever email a link about something to a bunch of friends or spent anytime on a message board ;) then you've used facebook...that's all it really is...the drama doesn't come from facebook but from the people that are already dramatic ;):D
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    norm wrote:

if you have ever email a link about something to a bunch of friends or spent anytime on a message board ;) then you've used facebook...that's all it really is...the drama doesn't come from facebook but from the people that are already dramatic ;):D

they just don't have kat and sea to come clean up the mess people leave behind
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The 81 wrote:
    norm wrote:

they just don't have kat and sea to come clean up the mess people leave behind

we've continued locked threads over there....

- Christopher McCandless
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Well i dont man to brag, but i Do have one hell of a Fantasy Kingdom coming together.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    edited June 2011
    evil, your post was a little long :) can't re-read it, but did you say that the g/f's FB became temporarily private and that her b/f (your friend) could not see it? I hate to be judgmental but she sounds like a liar :(
    Post edited by iluvcats on
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    norm wrote:

Oh I get all that. I've seen my fair share of drama on various message boards. I've been very skeptical of FB but so many people I know use it and I want to be in touch with them easily. I also need to use for my job, believe it or not.

But I'm enjoying what I'm reading in this thread and picking up a few tips. 8-)
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I don't get why people have to lie period...
    they think they are foolin someone when they really aren't :?
    and lookie what I found....if FB/Twitter were not online:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDycZH0C ... r_embedded

- Christopher McCandless
  • iluvcats wrote:
    evil, your post was a little long :) can't re-read it, but did you say that the g/f's FB became temporarily private and that her b/f (your friend) could not see it? I hate to be judgmental but she sounds like a liar :(
    There is a girl that I met online who was overweight from having babies, then she starved herself and she's really thin now. I have never seen anyone so self absorbed in my life. She constantly reports on guys driving down the road staring at her, people on the street checking her out, getting random flirty emails on FB, I hate to sound jealous and old, but it's too much about her looks. It must be that she was not noticed for so many years and now, it's like she is paranoid. She's acting like she hates it but I'm not sure.

Yeah, it seemed sketchy to me too. I was trying not to be judgemental for his sake as well, just hoping it wouldn't blow up into something big. I'm proud of him though...he's the vocal jealous type, and can be hard to deal with sometimes by acting irrationally. Except this time he's just a bit more focussed on why she'd act this way, and is just kind of quiet and hurt about it. He's being a bit more rational. But I dunno, from some of the crap he told me, there were hints of a wandering mind...if she hasn't cheated already, if I were to assume. I mean, come on, who's talking to a person they went on one date with more than ten years ago, and bringing up love, and constant thoughts, and being pulled back into your life for a second time, and it needs to be all or nothing? I didn't tell him to believe her or not believe her one way or the other...just seemed he wanted to talk to someone. Seemed like he had decent reason to worry also.

Oh no, I'm getting sucked into the drama! :lol:

And yes, she made her page private, so he couldn't see her wall for a couple of days, then he was added as her friend, and some of the stuff he saw before she added him, and before it was private was gone all of a sudden. Pretty, pretty shady.
    JTH wrote:

Hi, neighbor. I'm at 123 Fake Street.

:lol: :wave:
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,796
    There is absolutely no reason to use facebook.
    Perhaps someone can enlighten me as why you would want to make your life more public.
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    I quite like facebook, but I don't think I air my dirty laundry in public. Well I don't think I do. Maybe I do. I better go and check it out on facebook.
    Claireack wrote:
    I quite like facebook, but I don't think I air my dirty laundry in public. Well I don't think I do. Maybe I do. I better go and check it out on facebook.
    why?

(runs to check and see if claireack's dirty laundry is airing out) :mrgreen:
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Get_Right wrote:
    Claireack wrote:
    why?

(runs to check and see if claireack's dirty laundry is airing out) :mrgreen:

:lol:

Well tonight I had a 1 hour 'chat' with my hubby who is currently in Tenerife. My sister lives the other end of the country. My brother lives in Germany. It's a good way to keep in touch.

Also it's handy to put your holiday snaps or whatever on, then people you know can see them without any hassle.

I think if you treat it lightly and use it for fun it's not a problem.

Edit; I do think it's wrong to lie though. No point in that.
    Claireack wrote:

:lol:

Well tonight I had a 1 hour 'chat' with my hubby who is currently in Tenerife. My sister lives the other end of the country. My brother lives in Germany. It's a good way to keep in touch.

Also it's handy to put your holiday snaps or whatever on, then people you know can see them without any hassle.

Edit; I do think it's wrong to lie though. No point in that.
    nice granny panties :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Skype for chats-HD video!
    Photo bucket for pics and vids.

Without a public profile. I mean if you are looking to reconnect with past friends or are big into networking for business I get it-its just another tool, but I dont get the social aspect. Most, not all, of the people that contact me through FB are people I seek to avoid in the first place. :mrgreen:
  • Claireack wrote:

I agree with you there, but again, that's up to the people.

I suppose the reason I don't use it, is because the people I need to keep in touch with, I can on my phone still. Plus I got frustrated with how it's made people around me socially lazy. For example, my sister, wants me to get back on Facebook...we've seen each other maybe twice in the last three months...She lives about 20 minutes away from me.

Sadly, that's how she'd prefer to chat now. So if I don't make an effort to go over there, I don't see her. It's not just her, that's how quite a few people I know are. Before she got on Facebook? If it went a week without sitting down and chatting or doing something...the phone would begin to ring. Now I'm lucky if she'll even answer my call...she'll respond to a text though. :lol:
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,424
    The one thing I have noticed with facebook.....
    Especially with a lot of the people here on this board, who use facebook.....

They seem to use it as a world of make-believe...If that makes sense??

Everything is great...
    Everything is peachy
    Everything is going to be alright.....

And everyone strokes each other back and forth.....

Ya know what I mean???

Its just fucking weird...
    But to each their own.....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,651
    Facebook: A great way to keep tabs on your friends. But here's one that beats all:

http://www.naturalnews.com/032600_RFID_food.html

BTW, none for me, thanks!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.