Glorifying your life on Facebook...

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    I just use FB to keep in touch with people. some people abuse it by posting everything they do throughout their day. Like anyone gives a shit. The people that post the most are desparate for attention IMO.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,424
    The Fixer wrote:
    I just use FB to keep in touch with people. some people abuse it by posting everything they do throughout their day. Like anyone gives a shit. The people that post the most are desparate for attention IMO.
    Thats another thing I find weird...

Why do people post what they are having for dinner?? Who gives a fuck??
    Do I need to know that someone went grocery shopping today???

Maybe its a generation thing? I dont know..But my daily routine bullshit... is just that.....My daily routine bullshit.....That EVERYONE does....

Why do some people have to take their daily routine bullshit, and post it to the entire world???

I dont get it...
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i was reading thru some face book crap today and this guy who is always posting dribble was bitching about rabbits eating the veggies in his garden that his wife wanted planted.

sorry, nobody gives a fuck.

oh wait, that was here. :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    ^^^ awesome! :lol::lol:
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    merlin, if he brings it up again, you could tell your friend to follow his instinct. if her fb behavior was leaving a bad taste in his mouth, it's not good. you could ask him where does he see himself in the future with her, 7 yrs is a long time to date. when she was talking on FB about an old F buddy, is that the guy who was 1 or 2 dates 12 years ago?

I see bitching on my facebook news feed. I was seeing too many reports of how many kids their kid took a dump or too much info, so I did not drop the friends, I just don't see their stuff in the newsfeed. I think I hid them.

but what you said about your sister, i agree, fb has replaced adult socializing for my one friend. she's busy with work and her child's activities and has no time for me. i called and left a msg on her antiquated landline and i received a LONG paragraph on fb that night about how busy she is and would not be able to call me back, yet she posts on fb. we have known each other for 20 plus yrs. when she had her one night alone (instead of exercising for example which she badly needs) while her child was at dance class, she was on fb in a coffee shop.

ok time for me to go exercise!
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    The 81 wrote:
    i was reading thru some face book crap today and this guy who is always posting dribble was bitching about rabbits eating the veggies in his garden that his wife wanted planted.

sorry, nobody gives a fuck.

oh wait, that was here. :P
    And I realized someone would bring this up....I knew it the minute I posted it...

Im talking about the people...WHO every single fucking day of their life....have to post every single event in their life....
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer wrote:
    Thats another thing I find weird...

Why do people post what they are having for dinner?? Who gives a fuck??

Yeah, you gotta love the people that take pics of the food they get every time they go out to eat. WHO CARES?????????

I'm with you man...I don't get it either
    you're a good egg

:thumbup:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    You cant tell me that there arent people here...
    Who are basically living their lives through facebook....

Every single day of their life......

And they live it in a make believe world that they have created on facebook......
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    are you saying everything on the internet isn't real?!?!?! :o :shock:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless

And they live it in a make believe world that they have created on facebook......

i can't tell you that....

i'm not linked to anyone from here.....for a reason :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    RKCNDY wrote:
    are you saying everything on the internet isn't real?!?!?! :o :shock:

i found it on google...there for it's gotta be real
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The 81 wrote:

One thing I have noticed over the years. There are people here who I got to know through this website, and this is the ONLY website I participate in, as far as communicating with human beings through the internet....Anyways...
    There are people here, who I have talked to here for years, that I finally get to meet in person...And they act and talk exactly how they do here on the internet....

But there are another group of people, and I notice most of them are HUGE facebook people, that when you meet them its different. Because they are not themselves on facebook, or on the internet. The internet is their make-believe world.

Does that make sense???
    The 81 wrote:

One thing I have noticed over the years. There are people here who I got to know through this website, and this is the ONLY website I participate in, as far as communicating with human beings through the internet....Anyways...
    There are people here, who I have talked to here for years, that I finally get to meet in person...And they act and talk exactly how they do here on the internet....

But there are another group of people, and I notice most of them are HUGE facebook people, that when you meet them its different. Because they are not themselves on facebook, or on the internet. The internet is their make-believe world.

Does that make sense???
    And their make believe facebook world....
    Has taken the place of their real world....
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i'm the same asshole online that i am in person
    makes sense....lots of weird people out there.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The 81 wrote:

Im being serious here...For a change...

I dont see facebook being healthy for some people. It has taken over their lives, and has diminished what social skills they once had. Life needs to be lived, and enjoyed through experiences, and through REAL PEOPLE that you share those experiences with. Life shouldnt be lived through a website, where 525 people say they are your friends. Where those same 525 people stroke you, and congratulate you, on your every fucking move in life, like doing a load of laundry.

I spend 1-2 hours a day here before work. I talk with my friends, friends who I initially met here, but who I have also gotten to know in real life, whose families I have met, whose children I have met. The internet has givin me the chance to meet some wonderful people, and build wonderful relationships with those people. But there is another group of people I see on the internet, mostly facebook, who live their lives through the internet, and only through the internet.

Ok...Ill shut up and eat my pizza, after I do a load of laundry, and wash my cat, and scratch my ass, and pour another glass of milk, and......hehehehehehehehehehehehehehe
    The 81 wrote:

Im being serious here...For a change...

I dont see facebook being healthy for some people. It has taken over their lives, and has diminished what social skills they once had. Life needs to be lived, and enjoyed through experiences, and through REAL PEOPLE that you share those experiences with. Life shouldnt be lived through a website, where 525 people say they are your friends. Where those same 525 people stroke you, and congratulate you, on your every fucking move in life, like doing a load of laundry.

I spend 1-2 hours a day here before work. I talk with my friends, friends who I initially met here, but who I have also gotten to know in real life, whose families I have met, whose children I have met. The internet has givin me the chance to meet some wonderful people, and build wonderful relationships with those people. But there is another group of people I see on the internet, mostly facebook, who live their lives through the internet, and only through the internet.

Ok...Ill shut up and eat my pizza, after I do a load of laundry, and wash my cat, and scratch my ass, and pour another glass of milk, and......hehehehehehehehehehehehehehe
    And for many of those people...
    The life they are living on facebook......
    Is complete nonsense, compared to what their real life is like.....
    And for many of those people...
    The life they are living on facebook......
    Is complete nonsense, compared to what their real life is like.....

those people are too self-absorbed to really care about other people, or to try and build 'real' friendships with people.

It's much easier to blatantly show off 'I have a gajillion friends! look at the poop I made! I ate at a really expensive dinner! look at me having fun without you!...'
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,778
    What's up with that? Or even lying about it...why do people do it? It's probably one of the reason's I'm not on Facebook anymore. I even have family members who put up these facades of how great things are and I just kind of roll my eyes at it. I guess it's one thing to be proud, but at some point it seems to hit a shallow, dishonest area which leaves a bad taste of where your character stands.

I've never really thought about this much, cause I tend to just let it roll off my back, out of sight, out of mind. I'm not on there, so I don't care what people put up anymore. If that's what makes them happy, fine with me. However, the other night, a close friend who I don't see as often as I'd like anymore as he's been caught up with his house, and life, and he just doesn't go out much anymore, called to go get beers.

Anyway, he's always been technically challenged, but his girlfriend of 7 years got him on Facebook finally, and he was checking out his girlfriends page. He just saw things that seem to have him either worrired, or they actually hurt his feelings on the inside and he's kind of dwelling on it. One instance was she was talking to some guy back and forth where they seemed to be arguing, and he said he was sucked in for a second time and it's gotta be all or nothing for him to be with her, and he wanted to fly down to see her, and she told him that she loved him and misses him and thinks about him all the time. My buddy asked her about it, and she said oh, it was just some guy she went on 1 date with 12 years ago that she had a crush on, but then realized she didn't like him...The back and forth on facebook just didn't seem to add up to her reasoning.

He said there were a few other things too...like when they were out one night somebody in a car flipped them off because she accidently honked her horn, and that was it. Yet she wrote a story about how she went off on the girl in the other car about how ugly she was, and said she was alone with her dog, not that she was with him...all of which was untrue. And then some other thing about how she was talking to her old 'F' buddy from college and said she saw his band's name on a show list while her and her friend were partying it up and drinking at another show and said she put, "You know how we do." Except she apparently never went to the show, and it was supposed to be him and her, not her and a friend, and that she quit drinking a few years ago. After he talked to her about it, her page was private for a few days and then she added him on as a friend and he said things were deleted all of a sudden.

I didn't really know what to tell him. I wasn't going to tell him to leave a relationship of 7 years because of this, or to really drill her on this...it's not really my responsibility to intervene like that, but shit, seems like there's definitely something going on in her head that he never knew about. He said there were more instances of things like that. But it seems like it's bothering him on the inside.

So yeah, I don't really know how to respond...She could be just an attention whore...or it could be something worse, but I can't really make any assumptions. Holy hell, another reason I'm not on Facebook. It turns a strong 7 year relationship into a high school drama-fest. :lol:

this would take me 3 hours to type.
    I miss igotid88
  • Lizard wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Also remember, any photos that you post to Twitter or FB no longer belong to you...the rights belong to Twitter/FB, and any company can take that pic, sell it, and keep the royalties.

I think Mr. Weiner learned that lesson!!! :?

"Mr. Weiner."

*giggles*
    :lol: I'm still giggling too.

Edit: I post a lot of PJ stuff on Facebook b/c I have PJ friends on there and I enjoy sharing pics and such. However, I limit what I post about myself and family...personal stuff. However, it seems to be this line between what should be public knowledge and something that should be personal that seems to be blurred for a lot of people. I have friends from high school that I just row my eyes at their postings. They are still up to the same stuff they were in high school and they don't care to broadcast it. I also don't understand the point of posting public pics of yourself shitfaced, goodness sakes, you are damn near 30 and have a kid or two, grow up! Anyway, that's my FB rant.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    And I realized someone would bring this up....I knew it the minute I posted it...

Im talking about the people...WHO every single fucking day of their life....have to post every single event in their life....
    Yeah, I was perusing teh facebook today and there was some jackhole bitching up a storm about his busted water heater, for crying out loud.

I did see that on teh facebook, right?
    JTH wrote:

Yeah, I was perusing teh facebook today and there was some jackhole bitching up a storm about his busted water heater, for crying out loud.

was he that same guy bitching about bunnies too?

- Christopher McCandless
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    I hate that check in thing and telling everyone your every move.
    Who cares!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    edited June 2011
    RKCNDY wrote:
    JTH wrote:

You know what I mean...

Like the middle aged menapause woman who come on here and bitch about not being able to find a job one day, and then tell the world about their drug addictions the next day.....

And one minute tell the world..."What I do on my own time is my business"....

And then 30 seconds later tell the world why they cant apply for jobs that have drug testing......Making it EVERYONES BUSINESS!!!!!
    Post edited by SPEEDY MCCREADY on
    RKCNDY wrote:
    JTH wrote:

You know what I mean...

Like the middle aged menapause woman who come on here and bitch about not being able to find a job one day, and then tell the world about their drug addictions the next day.....

:lol::lol::lol::lol: middle aged and meanopausal..... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

- Christopher McCandless
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    igotid88 wrote:
    What's up with that? Or even lying about it...why do people do it? It's probably one of the reason's I'm not on Facebook anymore. I even have family members who put up these facades of how great things are and I just kind of roll my eyes at it. I guess it's one thing to be proud, but at some point it seems to hit a shallow, dishonest area which leaves a bad taste of where your character stands.

I've never really thought about this much, cause I tend to just let it roll off my back, out of sight, out of mind. I'm not on there, so I don't care what people put up anymore. If that's what makes them happy, fine with me. However, the other night, a close friend who I don't see as often as I'd like anymore as he's been caught up with his house, and life, and he just doesn't go out much anymore, called to go get beers.

Anyway, he's always been technically challenged, but his girlfriend of 7 years got him on Facebook finally, and he was checking out his girlfriends page. He just saw things that seem to have him either worrired, or they actually hurt his feelings on the inside and he's kind of dwelling on it. One instance was she was talking to some guy back and forth where they seemed to be arguing, and he said he was sucked in for a second time and it's gotta be all or nothing for him to be with her, and he wanted to fly down to see her, and she told him that she loved him and misses him and thinks about him all the time. My buddy asked her about it, and she said oh, it was just some guy she went on 1 date with 12 years ago that she had a crush on, but then realized she didn't like him...The back and forth on facebook just didn't seem to add up to her reasoning.

He said there were a few other things too...like when they were out one night somebody in a car flipped them off because she accidently honked her horn, and that was it. Yet she wrote a story about how she went off on the girl in the other car about how ugly she was, and said she was alone with her dog, not that she was with him...all of which was untrue. And then some other thing about how she was talking to her old 'F' buddy from college and said she saw his band's name on a show list while her and her friend were partying it up and drinking at another show and said she put, "You know how we do." Except she apparently never went to the show, and it was supposed to be him and her, not her and a friend, and that she quit drinking a few years ago. After he talked to her about it, her page was private for a few days and then she added him on as a friend and he said things were deleted all of a sudden.

I didn't really know what to tell him. I wasn't going to tell him to leave a relationship of 7 years because of this, or to really drill her on this...it's not really my responsibility to intervene like that, but shit, seems like there's definitely something going on in her head that he never knew about. He said there were more instances of things like that. But it seems like it's bothering him on the inside.

So yeah, I don't really know how to respond...She could be just an attention whore...or it could be something worse, but I can't really make any assumptions. Holy hell, another reason I'm not on Facebook. It turns a strong 7 year relationship into a high school drama-fest. :lol:

this would take me 3 hours to type.

bwahahahahahahaahh!!!!!
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    *waves*
    Hi Evil!!

My son says facebook is just for people to post pictures of what they are eating :D
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Thoughts_Arrive is now on Pearl Jam forum with threefish10, pjfan31 and 31 other people.
    1 minutes ago Like Comment
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    Thoughts_Arrive is now on Pearl Jam forum with threefish10, pjfan31 and 31 other people.
    1 minutes ago Like Comment

Sweet, i got tagged in a pearl jam forum check in. I can see benefits to Facebook. I have some family(my brother and brother in law) and some close friends who live out of state, and its quick and easy to keep them up to date with shit that's been going on. Like for instance my brother and brother in law both haven't even met my youngest daughter, who is 8 weeks old, they have only seen photos of her on facebook.

But I don't get why people would "collect" friends and have thousands, I have like 70 and have trouble keeping up with all the posts on my news feed, I could only image how many people with thousands of friends have every time they log in. I often think the more Facebook friends you have the more desperate for attention you are. I limit it to people I have actually met in real life, I think I only have one or two who I haven't met but have had long associations with over many years through different mediums. And some of my close friends who i see regularly in real life ain't even my facebook friends, i see them all the time, there is no real point.

If I went to school with you over 10 years ago and we never even spoke at school I don't need you to be my Facebook friend. If I need to look at all your profile pics and still can't remember you we don't need to be fb friends. I have one Facebook friend(who I have met many times in real life through another band) who over uses the status update and maybe does at least 10 a day, but she's kinda old and lonely and seems to only have a cat to talk to in real life so I kinda feel sorry for her.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980