Flying on a Plane

Comments

• unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    There's a flight in the air of every minute of everyday

How many times do you see a plane crash ?

I see a car accident just about everyday..no maybe not fatal but it's still more dangerous to drive

That is exactly why my fear is so completely irrational. I live literally 1,500 feet from a major runway at Logan International Airport. I wake up to the sound of jet engines idling as the planes are lined up waiting to take off.

I have never seen one crash, but I have seen:

1. A 10 foot section of wing flap that fell on approach, landing in a yard in the next town (plane landed safely)

2. An engine explode on takeoff, with the plane heading up and over the salt marsh, turning around and landing safely, all the while trailing a cloud of black smoke. (I was in the shower when I heard the explosion and ran to the bathroom window in time to see the plane head out, turn and come back to land safely

So you'd think, after those two direct observations, I would be reassured that even when things go wrong, planes still land safely. But I'm not.

Maybe if they just let me fly it. It would appeal hugely to the control freak in me.

And who among you wouldn't want a ride aboard a plane I was piloting? :lol: :shock:
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • That is exactly why my fear is so completely irrational.

Exactly! Bombard me with statistics about how safe it is... It all means NOTHING. My fear is irrational, so rational facts do nothing to alleviate it.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    conman wrote:
    i like flying. a lot of people freak out when there's turbulence but i like it..... maybe there's something wrong with me :?

Ye, it spices up the journey and kills time!
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    That is exactly why my fear is so completely irrational.

Exactly! Bombard me with statistics about how safe it is... It all means NOTHING. My fear is irrational, so rational facts do nothing to alleviate it.

You and I should fly together. Then, when the worst happens, we can turn to each other and say, "See, we told them so!"
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • That is exactly why my fear is so completely irrational.

You and I should fly together. Then, when the worst happens, we can turn to each other and say, "See, we told them so!"

EXACTLY!!

Lucky for me, PJ20 is a brief shuttle ride, and I don't have to fly to get there!
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    Half Full wrote:
    I always found consolation by looking at the pilots/stewardesses. To them its "just another day on the job". That thought always seemed to cancel out my thoughts of "its just another day crashing and burning on an airplane"

I always try to remember that the pilots have a family, too, and they are going to do everything in their power to get home safely. I love flying, but Mr. Guitar...not so much. He doesn't like heights, small confined spaces and recycled air. :?
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Flying is much more safer then driving

Why so nervous ?
    Statistics will tell you anything.

Not too many people have survived a plane crash.

^^^this.
    *there are many bumps between cars on the freeway-bumps between planes=not good

*teh recycled air-I went to New Orleans for Mardi Gras, I got sick from the plane, it really sucked trying to have fun when you're sick

*when flying back from NOL, there was bad turbulence, a kid screamed, 'Wheee! this is FUN mommy! it's just like a roller coaster ride!" I don't really enjoy roller coaster rides all that much...esp if the 'car' happens to be 30,000 feet in the air

*I touch the darn plane before I get on now...I saw 5 people in front of me touch the outside of the plane before they got on....

*Mr. RK was flying quite a bit recently, he loves to fly...he's only flown with me twice...that flight was only 75 minutes....he really has no idea

*one time, a lady was trying to calm my fears at the terminal...she told me she flies over 50,000 miles a year for her job (sales)....then she said, "nothing has ever happened in all my years of flying...I wanna get hijacked! that would be so exciting! I don't want anything bad to happen...I just think it would shake things up a bit in my day..." (this was before 9/11)....I felt :? :shock: :o :crazy: :sick:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    I love to fly.
    My first flight was in utero, haha, so guess i was always meant to fly.
    Airports irritate the shit outta me tho.
    Try to focus on where youre going...
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,237
    I like flying, though on the Boeing 757 or the Airbuses. I used to not like the takeoffs, but now I find have to look out the window at the plane is taking off because seeing the land from the sky is really amazing. Of course having an airline with TV on it also helps matters, especially for those West Coast trips.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Flying is much more safer then driving

Why so nervous ?
    Statistics will tell you anything.

Not too many people have survived a plane crash.

I'm with The 81, love flying but all the BS that goes with it esp. since 9/11.

There's a flight in the air of every minute of everyday

How many times do you see a plane crash ?

I see a car accident just about everyday..no maybe not fatal but it's still more dangerous to drive
    Flying commercial airplanes has been widely called safer than driving. But what is ignored is the data that is used to support this conclusion is put together for the most part by biased parties that have an interest that those statistics show that flying is safer than driving. And anyone that knows about statistics knows that statistics can be twisted to support any conclusion. So it is with the "flying is safer than driving" statistics. Boeing says flying is 22 times safer than driving, which, as expected, is about the most biased statistic out there on the subject. Boeing wants people to fly, so a "flying is safer than driving" conclusion is what they want so they can publicize it.

But is flying a commercial jet safer than driving when examined by someone without bias? In a word: no. In more than one word: hell no:

Ex-inspector throttles FAA.

(former Dept. of Transportation inspector general Mary Schiavo)

(Interview)

Insight on the News; 6/9/1997; Berg, Stacie Zoe

Is flying the safest way to travel? Not according to this critic of the airlines and their regulators.

Mary Schiavo, former inspector general of the Department of Transportation, has become an outspoken consumer advocate and controversial figure whose new book, Flying Blind, Flying Safe (Avon Books, 373 pp), takes Congress and the Federal Aviation Administration to task. In an interview with Insight Schiavo talks candidly about the "holes in the aviation safety net."

Q: Is flying safer than driving?

A: Statistically that is the case if you figure it on a per-(hour) basis. When you figure it on a per-trip basis, car, train and bus come out safer than the airplane.

(note the correction in parenthesis. The article on the net said "per-trip" in that place, which obviously an error. "Per-hour" is the correct term.)

So, if you are unbiased (and I think Ms. Schiavo is about unbiased and independent as anyone is with any knowledge of aviation) and consider an "apples to apples" comparison on a per trip basis, flying is more dangerous than driving, taking the train, or the bus. Surprising? Data can contradict conventional wisdom if conventional wisdom is biased, as it is in this case.

Biased "experts" use the per-hour statistic because it favors aviation because it spreads the riskiest parts of flying--takeoff and landing--over all the hours of a flight, therefore making flying seem safer than driving, when the risk of takeoff and landing are thusly spread over the hours of an average flight, which are much longer than the average car trip.

But using the much more common-sensical statistic of per trip, driving and other modes of transportation are safer than flying. Obviously what should be compared is the likelihood that you will arrive at your destination in one piece. Using the per-trip method is the way to make that much more valid comparison.

But what is also ignored in the statistics is that driving and flying need to be compared by more than just fatalities per year in each mode of travel. Statistics generally use the fatalities in car accidents each year and compare them to fatalities in airliner accidents. However, to do so is misleading. Car travel is a whole different animal than air travel. As anyone who drives knows, almost anyone can get a license to drive, even if they should never have gotten one. Also, drivers drive even when they don't have a license to drive. Then there is the issue of drunk driving, which claims many of the annual fatalities used in the statistics. When was the last time a commercial airline pilot crashed a plane because they were drunk? The automobile fatalities should be adjusted to eliminate the "natural selection" type deaths that have no similar example in airplane accident deaths, such as a drunk person passing out and driving off the road, killing themselves. The statistics should compare the likelihood of death of the average responsible driver per trip to the likelihood of death of someone flying per trip. If that much more valid comparison was made, the already less safe mode of travel of flying would be much more less safe than driving.

Add to that the problem I have witnessed denoted elsewhere on this site of commercial airplanes being delivered to airlines for the most part not inspected as required, and, going forward, flying promises to become even more unsafe than it is now than driving, I strongly believe.

So, when flying, cross your fingers you arrive safely, because that is essentially the method used currently to ensure your safety while flying by the FAA and Boeing. What do you do when inspections and audits (which are supposed to be the method to ensure your safety) are rollerstamped by Boeing and the FAA routinely? Right. Just cross your fingers and hope you are safe, hoping the defects on the plane you are flying on overlooked by that rollerstamping are not severe enough to make you into a statistic.
    #FHP
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Once you're on the plane and settled its fine. What I dislike is the whole airport hassle - shoes, liquids, id, parking, being treated as if you're a criminal,... all that. Not scared, but planes are boring. Noise canceling headphones are good investment, so you can plug into music and disconnect yourself from your physical environment somewhat.

I get nauseated so I usually take dramamine which pretty much zones you out.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,719
    No flying for me! After seeing the movie La Bamba, I became very uneasy with the idea of flying. I've had many dreams of being in plane crashes. I've also been in two scary situations: the first was in a 747 coming into JFK that had to take evasive actions to avoid collision- cups, papers, flight attendants- anything that was nailed down or strapped in went flying. The other was an Eastern Airlines flight in which the front landing gear would not lock in. We came down for an emergancy landing at DFW and the runway was foamed and lined with emergency vehicle. Fortunatley, the landing gear held. Also, one of the last time I flew (from HNL into SFO) I got food poisoning so badly I was unconscious in a hospital for three days. The funny thing is, my father was an aeronautical engineer- we flew a bunch of time when I was a kid.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,821
    I don't mind it. Don't love it, nor do i hate it. I know it's safer than driving, You see/read about car accidents everyday, maybe a few times a year about planes? That being said I need to order my plane tix to San Fran :problem:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    conman wrote:
    i like flying. a lot of people freak out when there's turbulence but i like it..... maybe there's something wrong with me :?

+1 I looove to fly! I even get to the airport early just to people watch.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,457
    Oh..... this thread is titled...
    Flying on a plane...

I thought it said f........

Oh nevermind.......

hehehehehe
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,821
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 2,926
    The first long-haul flight I did was from the UK to Australia in '09 for Pearl Jam shows.

Flew with an airline who've had no fatal crashes to date. On Friday 13th. :D

In total, I did 12 take-offs/landing: Manchester-Heathrow, Heathrow to Hong Kong, HK to Sydney - back via Bangkok. Then internal flights from Sydney and back to Adelaide, Melbourne and Brisbane. The worst bit was the very first outleg from Manchester, as I was nearly sick on the approach to Heathrow. :? Oh, and the plane went through a massive dust-storm on the approach to Melbourne too. Never felt a plane bump around so much, but it landed fine.
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
    Are we there yet
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    The only thing good about flying is that it gets you to where you want to be. The entire process otherwise sucks. Taking my shoes off for security sucks. People who drag the huge rolling bags on the plane and expect to take up all overhead bin space suck.

Almost bumping into the streams of people finding their connecting flight sucks. The sitting areas with torn seats near the gate filled with people who don't want to be there because they want to be somewhere else . . it sucks! The luggage charges, the crappy concession food, common and annoying delays. It all sucks!

I came home on time this year from a convention and I was amazed. So often there are rain delays or mechanical delays, or they got lost or something. Whenever that happens luggage gets lost. It's like a 2+2=4 equation, and it sucks! - everything about flying sucks except the point of it.

Valium is a good idea. I usually knit, but valium sounds like a better plan. 8-)
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    i don't do flying well but i do go. havent flown in a longtime and that is fine by me too. im terrified of heights.
    scared shitless... me
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    So, the doctor gave me alprazolam...or Xanax for those not pharmaceutically competent.

I went to look it up, to see how long the effects are.

According to WebMD, it is widely prescribed for PMS related anxiety....PMS Anxiety?!?!? :?

uhhh....so I've never taken it, if you've had it, how long are you sedated? Should I take a test run? I just know she told me "Whatever you do, don't drink any alcohol on the plane, and DON'T DRIVE"
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    So, the doctor gave me alprazolam...or Xanax for those not pharmaceutically competent.

According to WebMD, it is widely prescribed for PMS related anxiety....PMS Anxiety?!?!? :?

uhhh....so I've never taken it, if you've had it, how long are you sedated? Should I take a test run? I just know she told me "Whatever you do, don't drink any alcohol on the plane, and DON'T DRIVE"

you are flying into ohare? right?

after all the shit i've read on the milwaukee airport,.....you couldn't pay me to fly out of there.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    RKCNDY wrote:

I have taken it before- just takes the edge off nicely. Add alcohol and the edge dulls even more. Can't say about the length of the effect, 3-4 hours maybe.
    Madeira.jpg

:shock:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    4and20 to the stewardess upon land....

Cathay_sorry.jpg
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

you are flying into ohare? right?

after all the shit i've read on the milwaukee airport,.....you couldn't pay me to fly out of there.

no, flying in/out of Milwaukee....after the traffic horror stories I read on here driving from Chicago to Milwaukee....

so spill the beans...what's up with MKE?

- Christopher McCandless
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,699
    RKCNDY wrote:

Its only effective when flying 5 days out of every month.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    RKCNDY wrote:
    what's up with MKE?

:?

a few years back, they changed the runway legnth rules for DC9's. milwaukee was grandfathered in under the old rules. it's runway is about 1500ft below what the new recommendation is.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Poncier wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

Its only effective when flying 5 days out of every month.

:lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg