Flying on a Plane

Comments

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    People like to freak out at the slightest amount of turbulence. Again, safer than driving. And if anything, I like to drink a ton on a flight anyway so that always keeps me loose.

My girlfriend will jump and clutch my arm at the slightest shift in stability on a plane. I have to constantly assure her that things are okay and that it is safer than driving. I usually end up buying her some cocktailsbefore we depart too... partially to get her to relax and partially because I'm still hoping to get into the Mile High Club *fingers crossed* :P
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    my flying regimen:
    1 - get on plane
    2 - open book
    3 - wait to hear preparing to land
    4 - close book
    5 - exit plane
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    smarchee wrote:
    my flying regimen:
    1 - get on plane
    2 - open book
    4 - close book
    5 - exit plane

#3 for me would be to put on ipod then open book...but yeah, that's what i do too
    norm wrote:
    smarchee wrote:
    my flying regimen:
    1 - get on plane
    2 - open book
    4 - close book
    5 - exit plane

#3 for me would be to put on ipod then open book...but yeah, that's what i do too

I feel like an idiot because I can't read and listen to music at the same time... :?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:
    norm wrote:
    smarchee wrote:
    my flying regimen:
    1 - get on plane
    2 - open book
    4 - close book
    5 - exit plane

I feel like an idiot because I can't read and listen to music at the same time... :?

really? i almost can't read without music...it keeps me focused
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i've got a couple of movies on my ipod that i will watch.

if wifi access wasn't so damn expensive, i would surf the net.

i ussally just sit by the window and watch the world go by, while trying to figure out exactly where i am on the map.

i'm going to test my phones gps system to see if it works in flight. it should...right?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    norm wrote:
    really? i almost can't read without music...it keeps me focused
    I'm not bad at multi-tasking, but for some reason I just can't focus on both of those things at once. Probably because I generally like to give each of them a lot of my attention individually. I'm pretty bad at reading a page and not knowing what I just read though. :oops:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I can listen to music and read....but the book has to be really really good for me to keep reading. One time, I flew to Houston and had my cassette walkman...no radio, and the brand new batteries ran out of juice after the first 2 hours.....prob cuz I had to turn the volume all the way up to drown out the jet noise.

They have dual headphones right? We have one ipod and Mr. RK will be next to me....wonder if he'll play scrabble with me.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    With my job, I'm on a plane usually once or twice a week.

I could tell you some stories of some flights I've been on over the last few years! :shock: ;):D

That said, I do love to fly. In fact, I would LOVE to learn how to fly some day. Oh man, that would be amazing!
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Oh, at least you don't have to fly into St. Maartens airport. That would actually be quite fun....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAfQwDizpRo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w-9G8z4 ... re=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8KjPNj2 ... re=related

:D
    mca47 wrote:
    I could tell you some stories of some flights I've been on over the last few years! :shock: ;):D

ummm...what kind of stories? :?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,249
    smarchee wrote:
    my flying regimen:
    1 - get on plane
    2 - open book
    4 - close book
    5 - exit plane

You mean # 3 should be order beer or drink ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    RKCNDY wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

this one time i was flying into Seattle...we came in from the north, headed south, and flipped back around....landed, parked, got off the plane, walked thru a tunnel, bought a pen at the gift shop, walked to our next terminal, and boarded our next flight to anchorage.

it was an uneventful flight.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The 81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

this one time i was flying into Seattle...we came in from the north, headed south, and flipped back around....landed, parked, got off the plane, walked thru a tunnel, bought a pen for $20 at the gift shop, walked to our next terminal, and boarded our next flight to anchorage.

it was an uneventful flight.

fixed...

- Christopher McCandless
    however, the last time i flew from straight across the country from the west coast, it was out of sacremento....

first 45 minuts were find, than we hit heavy turbulance...that plane was buckin like a newly roped bronco.

good times.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    Bruce Dickinson, the lead singer for Iron Maiden, is a certified commercial pilot, and has been known to fly their tour plane. I am too lazy to insert picture, but here is a link to one:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sh ... 743697.ece

can you imagine Ed Vedder flying the plane?
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,964
    Smoke a big ass fatty before you get groped by TSA , you'll be flying so high , you wont care about anything.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    Bruce Dickinson, the lead singer for Iron Maiden, is a certified commercial pilot, and has been known to fly their tour plane. I am too lazy to insert picture, but here is a link to one:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sh ... 743697.ece

can you imagine Ed Vedder flying the plane?

Ed now=yes
    Young 'climbing the scaffolding and diving into the crowd' Ed=no

and I still probably wouldn't be able to decipher his mumbling over the intercom...

"Helloyes,thisisyour cap'n,Ed...Ijustwannascream HELLO!' :lol:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Smoke a big ass fatty before you get groped by TSA , you'll be flying so high , you wont care about anything.
    ...and then I'll get strip searched because I reek of skunky perfume...what was that stuff Ryez was talking about? Odorize? Hell....I always have Febreeze in my car.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Tenzing N.Tenzing N. Posts: 466
    I fly private charter jets and have always dreamed of the day that I would have even one of the bandmembers on board. Alas, its never happened. I would let Ed fly. I think he'd love it. I let a certain basketball player fly once and he was great at it.
    ed flying the plane

http://youtu.be/hjHx66ldGC0?t=28s

:P
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    nothing to worry about

and if you are....take a xanax or have a drink
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    i did have to make an emergency landing 15 years ago

left ft. lauderdale..15 min in a generator blew...sirens in the cabin ..captain comes on and tells us we are heading back for an emergency landing

did get nervous obviously but when we landed the captain said we had nothing to worry about :?
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Not a great flyer. Over the years I have learnt to use breathing techniques, herbal remedies and distraction to get me through it.

Nowadays I really don't like the take off or landing but I try and imagine that I'm on a bus for the rest of the time - so I don't look out the window much. If you're really concerned go see your doctor and he can give you something light to take the edge off, I've done that before and it was ok.

:)
  • I loved flying when I was a kid. Took me to new places, travelling, meeting people whatever, it was new so I liked it.

Now...I've been in a career field that's forced me to travel quite a bit. Plus I've grown...a lot.

Fuck that noise. Folding myself in half just to be able to fit. Such an annoying task now. I just recently took a new job though! Why? Mostly local work. What happens first week I'm hired? Had to fly to Seattle for three days. :lol: Yeah...sometimes being awkwardly tall sucks the shitbrick. Luckily, that's an easy flight, since I was doing it just about weekly for 4 months a couple years ago.
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Coco, I know you know where I roll with this. *shudders*

See, now I'm anxious just reading the title of this thread. I absolutely hate to fly. I'm jittery just thinking about how it feels to walk down the whatchamacallit and step onto the plane. And then when they close the doors, I'm figuring, "Well, it's all over now except the crashing and burning." I am hypervigilant, listening to every single sound _ as mentioned above, the engines revving, the landing gear, all of it.

Ugh. But for PJ20, it makes so much more sense to fly. It's something like 1'45" flight, versus 18 hour drive, which means two additional vacation days.

I know, I KNOW that I should fly, but I am such a big fat chicken about it... :(

And... it would be so nice to have the UnlostDogsmobile out there...

8-)
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Flying is much more safer then driving

Why so nervous ?
    Statistics will tell you anything.

Not too many people have survived a plane crash.

I'm with The 81, love flying but all the BS that goes with it esp. since 9/11.
    #FHP
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    I always found consolation by looking at the pilots/stewardesses. To them its "just another day on the job". That thought always seemed to cancel out my thoughts of "its just another day crashing and burning on an airplane"
  • Valium makes me love flying.
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Flying is much more safer then driving

Why so nervous ?
    Statistics will tell you anything.

Not too many people have survived a plane crash.

I'm with The 81, love flying but all the BS that goes with it esp. since 9/11.

There's a flight in the air of every minute of everyday

How many times do you see a plane crash ?

I see a car accident just about everyday..no maybe not fatal but it's still more dangerous to drive
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • he still standshe still stands Posts: 2,835
    Valium makes me love flying.

magic brownies. Ohhhh what a calming yet fun ride it is... :D
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.