Flying on a Plane

RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
edited August 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Do you like it? Love it? Terrified?

I am really excited for PJ20...but since we are flying, I am starting to get nervous. Haven't been on a plane in 10 years. The longest flight I've been on was 6 hours, and I just about lost it the last 2 hours. Don't think I'm that 'I have to be in control' personalities...I don't have to drive...I almost prefer someone else does since I like to look out the window.

I watch people at the airport, and everybody has little 'quirks' they do...saw many many many people touch the plane before they got on. Some people were doing little dances...I know I'm going to have to get some valium or something for my flight, but ugh....I hate flying.

Unlost...where you at?
The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Flying is much more safer then driving

Why so nervous ?
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,982
    People like to freak out at the slightest amount of turbulence. Again, safer than driving. And if anything, I like to drink a ton on a flight anyway so that always keeps me loose.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,433
    i find it annoying more than hate it but that's mostly because it's about as comfortable as root canal. between small tight seats, incessant droning of the engines and genearl annoyance of being around other people it's not a ton of fun. i pretty much just throw on the Ipod and close my eyes for the entire flight after a few beers before boarding. i pretty much get into a half sleep after that. i've done 5.5 hour flights plenty of times and it is kind of long.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I don't mind the idea of flying at all, it's the other passengers that bother me. :lol:

And a flight from Seattle to Milwaukee can't be that long, can it?
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    I don't mind the idea of flying at all, it's the other passengers that bother me. :lol:

3 hours
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    pjhawks wrote:
    i find it annoying more than hate it but that's mostly because it's about as comfortable as root canal. between small tight seats, incessant droning of the engines and genearl annoyance of being around other people it's not a ton of fun. i pretty much just throw on the Ipod and close my eyes for the entire flight after a few beers before boarding. i pretty much get into a half sleep after that. i've done 5.5 hour flights plenty of times and it is kind of long.

Me too..not a scary thing just a pain in the ass thing to do

I might be "That Guy" in august flying with my daughter who is under 2

:|

flying doesn't bother me.

love feeling the power as the plane throttles up for take off and you are pushed back in the seat.

turbulance doesn't bother me at all. as long as the plane doesn't break up in it, it's fun. yeee haw. :lol:

i do dislike airline operations, what with the yo yo ticket pricing practices, the bs fee's for everything, the parking. tsa doesn't help much either. picked up the gf at ohare last month. i stopped in the pick up zone and was on the phone telling her where i was (mind you ohares pickup is 3 seperate roads with pillars blocking the view). tsa nazi comes along to tell me to move my truck...fuck off lady.

anyways, i enjoy flying, hate all the bs that goes along with it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013

It's about 4.5-5 hours...maybe it comes from the fact that whenever I did have to fly, I always got stuck sitting next to the 'round smelly sweaty guy' or the 'seat kicker' was sitting behind me....maybe I just don't like being crammed in so close to strangers. :?

I know that flying is safer than driving, I understand that it's air currents help keep a 300 person coffin in the air...I live pretty close to 'the largest building in the world'.

I was on a flight with bad turbulence...they stopped the drink cart service, and everybody had to keep their seatbelts on for the rest of the flight...which was another 4 hours.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
    I hate the taking off part. The plane is going 1000000mph and the whole thing rattles and sounds like it's going to fall apart and then it lifts off...That's when it's terrifying for me. Once i'm in the air i'm okay.
    If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    Jukee wrote:
    I hate the taking off part. The plane is going 1000000mph and the whole thing rattles and sounds like it's going to fall apart and then it lifts off...That's when it's terrifying for me. Once i'm in the air i'm okay.
    I'm kinda the same way... everything rattles, you hear grinding from the landing gear coming up and stuff moving... once things level out, I actually think flying is a pretty relaxing thing.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    Jukee wrote:

My former boss was a part-time pilot and had his own plane

He said take off is the biggest risk of crash...once you're at your "cruising altitude" smooth sailing

i think the famous miracle on the hudson was birds getting sucked into the engines on take off

• mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    you'll be fine

but valium never hurts
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,678
    Go get Xanax.

When I am on a plane it is constant terror. Xanax makes it possible.
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    i like flying. a lot of people freak out when there's turbulence but i like it..... maybe there's something wrong with me :?
  • EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    I really like flying. I love landing the best though. Its pretty nice if you have the window seat just looking out at the clouds below you.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
    EZ1221C wrote:
    I really like flying. I love landing the best though. Its pretty nice if you have the window seat just looking out at the clouds below you.

unless there is a nice cross wind that is making the plane twist as you approach the runway. yikes
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I adore flying but then I wish I were a bird 8-)
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    edited June 2011
    I love flying. Take off and landings are my favorite parts. I even enjoy a little turbulence...but since I get motion sickness I take dramamine, which also helps me sleep like a baby. I get such good sleep on a plane since I'm trapped and can't really do anything else! I'm forced to relax. On flights to Australia I slept so good...got there completely energized.
    Post edited by comebackgirl on
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    I hate to fly but I do it all the time. I get pretty severe anxiety about it. my solution- wait to the last minute to check when my flight leaves so I am always in a rush- get to the airport late so i am stressing about making the plane instead of stressing about the actual flying. If I have time- drinks at the bar (usually i have no time). I also either eat pot food or smoke a j before the flight. Valium helps too. Then I'm fucked up, relaxed and usually fall asleep pretty quick. For a three hour flight I recommend a pot cookie and a bloody mary. You'll get through it. see ya there!
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    Ativan

Scared to Freaking Death!!!
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Yea---I don't care for flying so I understand how you feel. But try not to worry about it yet!!! that's 3 months!!!
    Worry a week before ;)
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • myramyra Posts: 1,257
    I don't mind being on a plane.

I hate everything else though : the security thing, the fact that you have to get there outrageously early (just being there early is a challenge in itself for me), the waiting and waiting and waiting some more part of it that makes this whole being there early requirement seem pointless. The baggage claim part. The customs part. The constant 'may I see your boarding card and passport please' part. The 'which terminal? .... which gate? ' part. And the whole 'whatever am I allowed to put in my cabin baggage part', too.

And to think I have to go through this again in 9 days ... :|
  • Flying terrifies me. I hate it. HATE IT!! I take Xanax when I fly and it doesn't ease the terror for me. Instead it just makes me not give a fuck that I'm terrified. It's a weird feeling.

I drove to Tucson from Chicago last fall, solo, because I didn't want to fly. That is a 29 hour drive!

I try really hard to focus on the flight attendants and other passengers and not freak out unless they are freaking out. Otherwise at every hiccup I would be screaming "Get me off of this fucking thing!"

I'm greatful that PJ20 is in my backyard practically.

Might do some EMDR around my fear before I travel again...
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    Flying terrifies me. I hate it. HATE IT!! I take Xanax when I fly and it doesn't ease the terror for me. Instead it just makes me not give a fuck that I'm terrified. It's a weird feeling.

I drove to Tucson from Chicago last fall, solo, because I didn't want to fly. That is a 29 hour drive!

I try really hard to focus on the flight attendants and other passengers and not freak out unless they are freaking out. Otherwise at every hiccup I would be screaming "Get me off of this fucking thing!"

I'm greatful that PJ20 is in my backyard practically.

Might do some EMDR around my fear before I travel again...

Driving to Alpine from PA
    No way I'm getting on a plane
    although I've recently come to learn first hand how dangerous driving can be
    I still can't do the plane
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    I like flying for the most part, I love seeing the clouds beneath the plane and the scenery far below. Turbulence sucks, but you deal. Take some motion sickness medicine or something.
    What I can't stand is if there's a baby/little kid nearby and they're screaming their head off the entire flight...thank God for iPods. :?
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    A good friend of mine once said:

"When you're on the runway and the jets kick in and you get pushed back in your seat, there are only two thoughts that go through your mind:

Man, I'm goin to have the best holiday

or

I'm gonna die right now."
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    thanks guys....cool beans, I'll be all drugged up and pigging out on brownies during the flight...when I get there I'll be loopy as all hell.

I saw some article on the net about 'how to have fun on a plane'.....Number 1 was 'Talk to your seatmate' :roll:
    Unless they're going to PJ20 as well...I don't wanna talk to anybody! :lol:

I like landing, because then I'm back on the ground. Can't look out the window...I'm terrified of heights.

- Christopher McCandless
  • he still standshe still stands Posts: 2,835
    flying on a plane is MUCH more safe than flying on a train, a snowmobile, or a horse.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i'm a claustrophobic misanthrope so, no i don't enjoy flying...stick me on a private bird and i'll go anywhere :D
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    I get a little nervous, but I feel a lot better when I think about getting on that big rubber slide if we crash. :P
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)