Options

Who here gets shit for loving this band?

124»

Comments

• Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    allstar340 wrote:
    there are plenty of good artists out today. Alter Bridge, My Morning Jacket, The Arcade Fire, Wolfmother (but they broke up :( ) The Raconteurs, Liam Finn, and many others- I listen to metal to so I wont get into all the good metal and progressive artists out there. They're just not as good as Pearl Jam :)

Pearl Jam's songs are just unbeatable, there is no way to describe it. They have that extra something that is lacking in other music.

Maybe it's the chemistry that the band has. Or maybe it's their amazing songwriting skills. I'll never be sure, but whatever it is, it keeps me loving their music, and never ceasing to.

absolutely! all those bands you named are amazing (especially MMJ!!), but never heard of Alter Bridge.
    last 2 paragraphs of that post- AMEN to that!!!!
  • Options
    allstar340allstar340 NYC Posts: 804
    samjam wrote:
    absolutely! all those bands you named are amazing (especially MMJ!!), but never heard of Alter Bridge.
    last 2 paragraphs of that post- AMEN to that!!!!
    Alter Bridge is creed without Scott Stapp :)
    but they play heavier music, close to metal almost.

i guess there is hope for our generation listening to good music. ;)
    08 -MSG I.eV Newark.Stone in BK. 09 -Spectrum II,III,IV. 10- Prudential Center.MSG I,II. Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II. 11- eV NY I, II. Bridge School Benefit Night II (eV solo). 12- Made in America Festival. 13- Oakland. 14- Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II. 17- eV Ohana. 18- Seattle I, II. 21- SHN. 22- ev & Earthlings Beacon, MSG, Camden. 23- eV & Earthlings Ohana. 24 - MSG I, II
  • Options
    silas23silas23 SoCal Posts: 99
    I get shit all the time. I pretty much ignore it all now though. Either that I just tell the person to F off!!
  • Options
    i get shit all the time...by everyone!
    annoys me but I know that PJ is great ..so they can have there opninions...there wrong but they are intitled::)..
    My ipod is always on shuffle and almost every other song is pj...so at parties...i get yelled at...
    screw them i say!
    The Waiting Drove Me Mad Your Finally Here And Im A Mess....
  • Options
    I'm 37. I don't get shit from people because I rarely say anything about it. The thing I hear most often is 'you're going to ANOTHER Pearl Jam show' and I just say yeah. I usually can't find anyone who wants to go with me. I went to a show 8.5 months pregnant and my husband came with me because no one else would. I have taken various people with me to shows. None of which really enjoy them as much as I do.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    allstar340 wrote:
    Alter Bridge is creed without Scott Stapp :)
    but they play heavier music, close to metal almost.

i guess there is hope for our generation listening to good music. ;)

...ummm, yea....alter bridge?! i thought that was that band full of ex creed hacks! wtf?!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    anyone like 'lil jeezy by any chance?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    gischick wrote:
    I'm 37. I don't get shit from people because I rarely say anything about it. The thing I hear most often is 'you're going to ANOTHER Pearl Jam show' and I just say yeah. I usually can't find anyone who wants to go with me. I went to a show 8.5 months pregnant and my husband came with me because no one else would. I have taken various people with me to shows. None of which really enjoy them as much as I do.

I'm a 38 year old woman. So I'm one of the older PJ fans with a husband & kids (we're gonna be 40 soon!!!). But my husband views my obsession with Pearl Jam as a sign of immaturity. If I spend an hour drooling over Eddie Vedder and Jeff Ament on youtube, he'll say something stupid like "Are you 17?" Actually, I'm not 17, I am an independent, self-supporting professional career woman who is moved by PJ. And he's lucky to have me (I'm lucky to have him too btw, even if he doesn't always understand me or PJ). And just because I, like many 17 year-olds, are moved by PJ doesn't make me or them immature.

I haven't made any progress converting my husband to become a PJ fan. But I did get him to go to Chicago to see Eddie for the first of he's 2 shows only because I promised him that it wouldn't be a stadium full of crazy screaming fans but would instead be seated in a nice auditorium. Lucky for me that night one had a well behaved audience bordering on the goody-to-shoe at times as half the audience would shhsh the other half if they started to get evne just a little bit out of line. I heard night two was more rowdy though so he probably would have been upset about that.

The one observation that he made about the show was that the crowd was made up of young people and older people, professional types, hippies and druggy looking folks, a wide mix of people. I told him that's a testiment to PJ and Eddie's timelessness, relevance, passion, etc. He still doesn't get it though... I get shit from him because I'm too old to get so excited about PJ. Whatever.

You know what really gets me about my husband's attitude about my fanship for Eddie & PJ is that I know he was really moved at the Chicago show. I saw him wiping tears from his eyes after Eddie sang to Thomas Young and the whole audience stood to applaud Thomas before he went off stage. I just wanted to scream at him, "See, see you feel it, too!!!!" But he wouldn't ever admit it. He jumped to his feet after Eddie told Chaney, Gonzolas and W to find anouther country and he cheered as Eddie sang no more war. But that's probably a mature reason to be excited and moved since these are relevant issues at a troubled time in our country's history. I'm just raw, irrational, immature emotion. Again I say, whatever.

And you know, I get really emotional when I listen to PJ. And that often gets him really laid later that night. He never calls me immature after that. But I love him... lucky bastard.
    And if there's something you'd like to do. Oh, just let me continue to blame you.

EV Chi 1, 08/21/08
    EV Memphis, 06/20/09
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    I'm a 38 year old woman. So I'm one of the older PJ fans with a husband & kids (we're gonna be 40 soon!!!). But my husband views my obsession with Pearl Jam as a sign of immaturity. If I spend an hour drooling over Eddie Vedder and Jeff Ament on youtube, he'll say something stupid like "Are you 17?" Actually, I'm not 17, I am an independent, self-supporting professional career woman who is moved by PJ. And he's lucky to have me (I'm lucky to have him too btw, even if he doesn't always understand me or PJ). And just because I, like many 17 year-olds, are moved by PJ doesn't make me or them immature.

I haven't made any progress converting my husband to become a PJ fan. But I did get him to go to Chicago to see Eddie for the first of he's 2 shows only because I promised him that it wouldn't be a stadium full of crazy screaming fans but would instead be seated in a nice auditorium. Lucky for me that night one had a well behaved audience bordering on the goody-to-shoe at times as half the audience would shhsh the other half if they started to get evne just a little bit out of line. I heard night two was more rowdy though so he probably would have been upset about that.

The one observation that he made about the show was that the crowd was made up of young people and older people, professional types, hippies and druggy looking folks, a wide mix of people. I told him that's a testiment to PJ and Eddie's timelessness, relevance, passion, etc. He still doesn't get it though... I get shit from him because I'm too old to get so excited about PJ. Whatever.

You know what really gets me about my husband's attitude about my fanship for Eddie & PJ is that I know he was really moved at the Chicago show. I saw him wiping tears from his eyes after Eddie sang to Thomas Young and the whole audience stood to applaud Thomas before he went off stage. I just wanted to scream at him, "See, see you feel it, too!!!!" But he wouldn't ever admit it. He jumped to his feet after Eddie told Chaney, Gonzolas and W to find anouther country and he cheered as Eddie sang no more war. But that's probably a mature reason to be excited and moved since these are relevant issues at a troubled time in our country's history. I'm just raw, irrational, immature emotion. Again I say, whatever.

And you know, I get really emotional when I listen to PJ. And that often gets him really laid later that night. He never calls me immature after that. But I love him... lucky bastard.

my soon to be ex husband never shared the Eddie love either.

I wrote it off as he is intimidated by his manliness.
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    who cares how old you are! seriously, it's not like you fawn over the jonas brothers! if you did then maybe he has some grounds for calling you immature, but for pearl jam? you have very valid reasons to love them and get drooly and emotional, they make truly passionate music that speaks volumes and transcends race, creed, sex, AND generation.
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    the wife and I are 36 &37... we both go to all possible PJ related shows ...our kids are PJ lovers as well. I have NEVER gotten burnt for supporting PJ.

But ya know, there are A LOT of ignorant people out there, how else would you explain Celine Dion?
  • Options
    No, not shit really. I am from Seattle, and in my mid-thirties, so I guess my friends just remember them b/c of the where and when we "grew up". Although, none of my friends love them like I do. So, sometimes when I talk about PJ (not all the time, of course. I'm not obsessed or anything), everyone's like..."yeah, they're o.k., when you can understand a word they're saying. But, like someone said earlier, it's not just about their sound. It's more of a total package thing with true fans. It's about their aura, their spirit, and what they stand for (against all odds). Usually, I either get a blank stare when I mention them, or a "who"? I'm betting that those people are just transplants though...LOL!
    Huh?!
    Seattle-11/5/00
    Vancouver-9/2/05
    The Gorge 7/22/06
    Vancouver 4/3/08
  • Options
    Forgot to mention...I have two boys, 12 and 7. I haven't had much luck transforming the older one, but the younger one proudly wears his PJ shirts and loves singing along to his fave's. So, I guess I am doing my part to ensure that the passion lives on in our youth!!
    Huh?!
    Seattle-11/5/00
    Vancouver-9/2/05
    The Gorge 7/22/06
    Vancouver 4/3/08
  • Options
    i get shit all the time...by everyone!
    annoys me but I know that PJ is great ..so they can have there opninions...there wrong but they are intitled::)..
    My ipod is always on shuffle and almost every other song is pj...so at parties...i get yelled at...
    screw them i say!

This happens to me from time to time, and I just laugh it off. I honestly feel sorry for people who judge a book by it's cover (so to speak). If they only knew what PJ has to offer on the inside, well...I try not to judge, just enjoy the fact that my Husband and I were lucky enough to realize what truly matters and will forever be true fans. It's almost like our own little secret...Shhhh!
    Huh?!
    Seattle-11/5/00
    Vancouver-9/2/05
    The Gorge 7/22/06
    Vancouver 4/3/08
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    I get the most crap from my brother, who simply doesn't understand why I like them so much. I took him to see Ed when he played solo in Chicago, and my bro was just like, "Yeah...that's cool. It's entertaining. But I still don't see why you spent so much money on this concert."
    Sigh.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    iamica wrote:
    I get the most crap from my brother, who simply doesn't understand why I like them so much. I took him to see Ed when he played solo in Chicago, and my bro was just like, "Yeah...that's cool. It's entertaining. But I still don't see why you spent so much money on this concert."
    Sigh.

did you exxxplain that the actual shows are NOT all like Ed solo shows??!! Completely different. Hadd you took him to lollapalooza last year, he'd be totally transformed into a fan!!! :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    SENROCK! wrote:
    did you exxxplain that the actual shows are NOT all like Ed solo shows??!! Completely different. Hadd you took him to lollapalooza last year, he'd be totally transformed into a fan!!! :D

He was perplexed that I went to that one too, and even more perplexed that I stood in the heat for 12 1/2 hours just so I could have a spot up front. So I don't think he would have gone for that one. :D
    What I should have done was taken him to a United Center show; maybe then he'd understand.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    iamica wrote:
    He was perplexed that I went to that one too, and even more perplexed that I stood in the heat for 12 1/2 hours just so I could have a spot up front. So I don't think he would have gone for that one. :D
    What I should have done was taken him to a United Center show; maybe then he'd understand.

those united shows were freakin tight! i LOVED those shows!!! And its funny because ALOT of people never get the standing in heat, rain, wind, etc for HOURS to get your spot in the front. Its worth it once ure up there. And ok, maybe he wouldnt have stood there for the time you did but....if he woulda been ANYWHERE there and heard the way they freakin busted out WHY GO......it would have changed him!!!! and p.s color me jealous that you are in chicago dammit!!!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,798
    My uncle told me I'm in love with Eddie Vedder and I really didn't have a problem with it.....And I'm a dude....
  • Options
    i'm "gay" for listening to them.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Options
    *hand raised* I'm sick of it. I'm 18, and everyone knows I love Pearl Jam more than anything else. I get shit all the time like oh you wanna F*ck eddie don't u. (keep in mind I am a man) lol. When they are on my ipod they always say why do you need 3000 pearl jam songs its all the same songs that's just stupid. That shit is just annoying!!!
  • Options
    ViggoViggo Posts: 274
    I have met a lot of people that never have heard of Pearl Jam, and I have yet to meet someone that like Pearl Jam like me. I have never met anyone that listen to Pearl Jam regularly or have been to one of their shows.
    It's okay, It's okay
    You don't have to run and hide away
    It's okay, it's okay
    I love you anyway
    2007: Pearl Jam concert in Düsseldorf (21. June)
    2007: Chris Cornell concert in Kristiansand (2. July)
    2007: The Who concert in Kristiansand (4. July)
  • Options
    edited...just in case.
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,004
    its like I'm diseased..

When people in work go to tons of Bruce Springsteen concerts or Jimmy Buffett shows and collect all their bootlegs..
    the world views them as somehow respectable..

but when people get to know my PJ obsession, all I get is snickers..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    on the contrary, i tend to give people shit for not listening to them.

the usual reaction is "are they still around?" which instantly means to me that they arent a music fan... i mean i hate Simply Red, but i know the ginger cunt still makes albums now and again...
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.