2 mile swim

Comments

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    well now i am big-time disappointed. some of my latest swim gear is not for me. during today's hospital run my mom bought me a few gifts for my swimming addiction.

one gray speedo brand swimmers cap, a set of google which i don't remember the brand name, and a pair of ear plugs the same brand as the googles.

my hair used to be badassly awesome with long ringlets and dreadlocks. blonde/brownish.
    many months later my hair is gray/white/blonde and short as shit. the chlorine ate my hair, turned it brittle and ruined it full on.

my bangs used to go passed my chin several inches, then my bangs just vanished like overnight and shit. i had to get what was left of it cut because it was so badly damaged with large sections of it completely missing. this was sad stuff.

so today i get anduse a swimmer's cap for the first time. the damn thing won't stay on my head. it is impossible to wear. my new googles leak a bit and my new ear plugs are bullshit as well.

as you may have guessed, i am pissed.
    during my swim tis evening i was bent way the fuck out of shape over this bullshit.

anyone have any suggestions on decent swimming gear crap? i was so excited about my swim cap saving my hair that when the thing failed me and my skull, i had a fit.

i want my hair back :( stupid chlorine
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    No idea about swim-caps, but you should look at the hair products - I'm sure there's ones made for prolonged pool use.
  • embraceembrace Posts: 849
    chadwick wrote:
    well now i am big-time disappointed. some of my latest swim gear is not for me. during today's hospital run my mom bought me a few gifts for my swimming addiction.

one gray speedo brand swimmers cap, a set of google which i don't remember the brand name, and a pair of ear plugs the same brand as the googles.

my hair used to be badassly awesome with long ringlets and dreadlocks. blonde/brownish.
    many months later my hair is gray/white/blonde and short as shit. the chlorine ate my hair, turned it brittle and ruined it full on.

my bangs used to go passed my chin several inches, then my bangs just vanished like overnight and shit. i had to get what was left of it cut because it was so badly damaged with large sections of it completely missing. this was sad stuff.

so today i get anduse a swimmer's cap for the first time. the damn thing won't stay on my head. it is impossible to wear. my new googles leak a bit and my new ear plugs are bullshit as well.

as you may have guessed, i am pissed.
    during my swim tis evening i was bent way the fuck out of shape over this bullshit.

anyone have any suggestions on decent swimming gear crap? i was so excited about my swim cap saving my hair that when the thing failed me and my skull, i had a fit.

i want my hair back :( stupid chlorine

for good swimming gear:
    http://www.kiefer.com/

ultra swim is solid for your hair- best place and price to buy is a beauty supply (aka Sally Beauty in my area)and you can score it in a larger size than most places sell it - though Kiefer will have all kinds of products for your hair, skin and suits to help with chlorine damage...unfortunately the shit is unavoidable- curl killer, but ultra swim does a good job of removing it. Can always look for a saline pool, but that's not always life practical.

swimming is one of my favorite things on the planet- be it in a pool for a long swim or in the ocean - good perspective time. :D
    got a car...got some gas...oh let's get out of here-get out of here fast...
    I hope you get this message but your not home...I will be there in just a minute or so...
    I want to go but I want to go with you.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. -MT

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough. I'm fine, still in it.
    kiefer doesn't have ultra swim but another brand- this price is average, but you should be able to find it close to home and in a larger quantity.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/Ultraswim
    I hope you get this message but your not home...I will be there in just a minute or so...

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. -MT

• RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    I was told by my cosmetologist to ALWAYS wet my hair thoroughly before swimming. It is better for your hair to absorb tap water than the heavily clorinated pool water. After getting my hair dripping wet I also put in a large quantity of conditioner (cream rinse) and leave it in while swimming. This also helps keep out the chemicals or maybe keeps the chemicals from doing so much damage. I always wear a swim cap. And sometimes the cap is slick due to the conditioner in my hair and is hard to keep on. But most of the time I don't have that problem, but I have used a swim cap for so long, I pretty much know how to fit it on my head where it will stay. I like the thin caps better than the thick ones.

Once I bought a product called "pre-swim" or something like that at my local bike shop. It was expensive and didn't seem to do anything different than the cheap cream rinse I buy at the drug store.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
    :thumbup: I remember doing this for daily swim practice- helped keep the green sheen away!
    I was told by my cosmetologist to ALWAYS wet my hair thoroughly before swimming. It is better for your hair to absorb tap water than the heavily clorinated pool water. After getting my hair dripping wet I also put in a large quantity of conditioner (cream rinse) and leave it in while swimming. This also helps keep out the chemicals or maybe keeps the chemicals from doing so much damage. I always wear a swim cap. And sometimes the cap is slick due to the conditioner in my hair and is hard to keep on. But most of the time I don't have that problem, but I have used a swim cap for so long, I pretty much know how to fit it on my head where it will stay. I like the thin caps better than the thick ones.

Once I bought a product called "pre-swim" or something like that at my local bike shop. It was expensive and didn't seem to do anything different than the cheap cream rinse I buy at the drug store.

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,492
    SWIM FASTER!

:x :x
    www.myspace.com
    thank you folks
    the cap i have is made out of a rubber type material. the other style is like a clothe thing. that's one i need.

how much do you two swim?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    Sadly, I do not enjoy swimming laps in a pool. I love open water swimming, but convenient options are limited except for a couple of months in the summer - after the water warms up and before the green ick takes over. I try to swim at least twice per week a minimum of 1000 yards. But distance depends on what event I am training for. I took up swimming to compete in triathlons. I have been a cyclist for years and a runner too. Running is my favorite sport, but I need to cross train so I took up triathlon. I trained for a half distance IronMan a couple of years ago (1.2 mile swim) so did quite a bit of swimming that summer. This summer I mostly trained for the half marathon up Barr Trail on Pikes Peak so swimming was not a priority. But my goal this winter is to work at my swimming to increase my very, very slow speed so I can be competitive in my age group in sprint triathlons next season.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
    my first sunday swim. swam about 1 mile give or take. feeling great at the moment. one day coming up i will consistantly swim 7 days a week pretty much all the time. this time is approaching.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    I haven't read through all the pages of this thread but wanted to ask you something, maybe it's already been covered. And I don't mean this in any negative way towards your stroke but have you had anyone look at your stroke since you took this up? I am a swimmer myself and was once a swim instructor. On such a long swim you really want your strokes to be as efficient as possible. Any wasted energy or unproductive motions will just tire you quicker and make the whole thing harder than it needs to be. Like I said, maybe this has been covered already, but getting an instructor at your pool to give you a tip or two can go a real long way. Good luck.
    eddiec wrote:
    I haven't read through all the pages of this thread but wanted to ask you something, maybe it's already been covered. And I don't mean this in any negative way towards your stroke but have you had anyone look at your stroke since you took this up? I am a swimmer myself and was once a swim instructor. On such a long swim you really want your strokes to be as efficient as possible. Any wasted energy or unproductive motions will just tire you quicker and make the whole thing harder than it needs to be. Like I said, maybe this has been covered already, but getting an instructor at your pool to give you a tip or two can go a real long way. Good luck.
    hey thanks, man. i think of this often. i know i have a unique way of doing things even swimming. my left arm comes way over and under me clear over to my right hip area instead of straight back at my left side and up out of the water again for another stroke.

i like it though because it feels like im working more which i enjoy. i would like to learn different ways of swimming and things in water too. thank you for your comment.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    yesterday painful little swim. did 1 mile. 72 laps equal 1 mile. 18 laps equal 1/4 mile.

laps 27...ouch
    knee pain killin

thank you to the universe for allowing me to swim
    this the greatest stuff

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    fellas i need some advice in regards to swim caps. i want to get the kind that i strap around my chin. is this made to keep the chlorine out or to help keep our heads warmer in fridged waters? i am currently using a speedo latex cap and i am always readjusting the damn thing. and yes one has to get used to putting the cap on correctly, this alone took a while. i need a water proof cap. :lol: that sounds funny.

seriously though. if i had a great swim cap that kept the chlorine out of my hair and the cap fit perfectly and strapped around my head and face/chin area... i would be soo ecstatic.

i don't even know what to do anymore and i am becoming desperate. i just visited the ron jon surf shop site and they don't even sell swim caps. the ones i have found online are for keeping heads warm... what about chlorine head, fuckers?

please help with some suggestions.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    thank you, justly. i found the one i would like to try out. hard to find a store that sells a wide array of swimming gear when living in rural bunk ass iowa. here in iowa i can get the same old goggles, ear plugs, and the standard swim caps. this is not good enough to my notion. when one purchases a large speedo brand swim cap, what you are truly getting is a piece of shit.

does the speedo company even measure fucking heads on people whom are out of grade school? stupid bastards are doing shit all wrong over there @ brand speedo.

TYR has speedo beat in the goggles department. i am finding though that TYR only makes one style of chin strap swim cap. this is a bad joke, right? :evil:

today i swam over a mile and my swim cap only needed adjusting a few times. but still it isn't what i am looking for in a swim cap. but for now it is doing its job and irritating the hell out of me.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    been doing some amazing swims lately. if you aint swimmin you're missing out. absolutely marvelous. i want to swim minimum 6 days a week. this is very difficult with no transit service in small towns iowa. here we are on our own. this is not exactly an easy task. i wish the mississippi, skunk, des moines, & other rivers and lakes were clean but i am affraid they are fulla pollution from farming chemicals and other pollutants. i'll be damned if i go for a dip in that shit.

although i do want to swim across the mighty mississippi several times this summer. they say the montrose, ia/nauvoo, il crossing is the widest section of the mississippi. they say it's 1 mile wide at this point. we oughta make a pearl jam event out of it and donate the funds (if folks give) to charities.

enjoy your day, folks. i'm out. the pool's calling.

if i still lived out in washington northwest
    i would swim the puget sound
    i am sure of it

do orcas attack fat guys in speedos?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    now i'll be off to swim my laps. something that a truck driver just can't do unless he/she has a pool for a trailer.

have a wonderful & safe drive, speedy mccready.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    swam so hard so long yesterday it made me ill and i was a limp wet noodle like rag of a man. i am positive i burnt through 2,000 plus calories maybe 3,000, i don't know for sure exactly but it is a very close estimate.

swam 144 consecutive laps without a break except to urinate at the 1 1/4 mile point... ran to the men's room then dove back in to finish up my goal.

i experienced what the runners high is all about but a swimmers version of it and i was not even there for the last hour or so of the swim :wtf: . when i got home that is when it all kicked in and i started getting sick feeling.

i napped 2 hrs or so then slept all night. and today swam my mile. today's swim was extremely difficult and i wanted to quit after 1/4 a mile. i literally had to force myself to swim a full mile today.

:sick::sick::sick::sick:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    talk about irritating the hell out of me. i go to put my goggles on my head only after i put my swim caps on and i notice i forgot my goggles at home. every fucking day i take w/ me two goggles in case one breaks whilst i swim and it has happened before. today, no goggles. my swim was 75% back stroke today. piss me the hell off.

swimming w/ my eyes shut still doesn't cut it.

almost punched the lifeguard square in the mouth when i asked him to do me a favor and lend me a pair, he replies, as he rolls his eyes at me, "we don't do that anymore cause kids take 'em home and we don't get 'em back"

stupid fucking bastard do i look like a fucking kid to you? now gimmie your goggles before i kick in your damn teeth. you see me every fucking day how in the hell will i steal your used up bunk ass goggles? fucker pissed me off today.

told me their are no goggles in this entire building. frickin dude is such a liar. lazy fucker

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • SnakeduckSnakeduck Posts: 1,056
    chadwick wrote:
    stupid fucking bastard do i look like a fucking kid to you? now gimmie your goggles before i kick in your damn teeth. you see me every fucking day how in the hell will i steal your used up bunk ass goggles? fucker pissed me off today.

told me their are no goggles in this entire building. frickin dude is such a liar. lazy fucker

So I see all the swimming is really calming you down. Perhaps I should check it out. Maybe then I'd only feel like killing three people a day...
    Snakeduck wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

So I see all the swimming is really calming you down. Perhaps I should check it out. Maybe then I'd only feel like killing three people a day...
    it is the greatest thing i do besides stroking my ace, bullshitting w/ pj people, killing savagely with great Norse warfare knowledge, and romance of course

other than that i am calm until the fire deep inside says it is time to run a few fuckers thru with sword or just crush their heads w/ something heavy and blunt

today my lifeguard at the pool came the closet to death he has ever been

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    checking in from my buoyant pillow

1219135747QjunVW.jpg

2 miles worth of consecutive laps today

who's about fucking ready for bed? zzz zzzzz zzzzzzz zzz zzzz zz

although i do feel better than when i did this same distance a month or two ago

sleeping at the computer...............................................................,mnbvcx!@#$%^&*()_POIuytrew

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    swimming 2 miles each day this week
    next week... things change :twisted:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • chadwick wrote:

I haven't swam 2 miles in the 38 years of my existence...
    chadwick wrote:

i pegged you as an older gentleman. i'll be damned, you're a youngster

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • chadwick wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

Don't let the wisdom beyond my years fool ya...
    chadwick wrote:

Don't let the wisdom beyond my years fool ya...
    that is how i get both yours & dunkster's ages all fuckered up. i've always knew dunkwas very intelligent/fulla wisdom hence i always figured he was 202 years old. you i always pegged at right around 200 as well. you fuckers are kids. someone's been telling you two what to type up on here, huh?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • I swamm yesterday probably a 1 1/2 mile felt really good the water must be around 70 degrees at the beach , i don't swimm in a pool till probably the middle of October ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    I swamm yesterday probably a 1 1/2 mile felt really good the water must be around 70 degrees at the beach , i don't swimm in a pool till probably the middle of October ....
    well done, sir. no beach around here for me unless it's on the mississippi, skunk, des moines, missouri, or other river... and that aint happenin

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce