***Official U2 Appreciation Thread***

Comments

• JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    he's going to need to take glucosamine for life so that he doesn't get atheritis from it all, its all too sad poor fella
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474

PJ_Soul said:

Really he just has a bunch of broken bones. He should be just fine in a few months.

Well, I wouldn't call it "just" a bunch of broken bones. Or at least, some of these sound pretty serious:
    1. Left facial fracture involving the orbit of his eye.
    2. Left scapula (shoulder blade) fracture in three separate pieces.
    3. Left compound distal humerus fracture where the bone of his humerus was driven though his skin and the bone was in six different pieces. He was taken emergently to the operating room for a five-hour surgery Sunday evening where the elbow was washed out and debrided, a nerve trapped in the break was moved and the bone was repaired with three metal plates and 18 screws.
    4. One day later, he had surgery to his left hand to repair a fracture of his 5th metacarpal.
    Well, yeah, it's a BUNCH of broken bones, lol. And a fracture is a crack in the bone - not nearly as serious. If his humerus was sticking out his skin then that's not a fracture. It's a break in at least one place (and actually it's shattered with that many breaks/fractures in one bone). But he's getting surgeries and stuff, and I'm sure it hurt REALLY bad (I've broken bones, and it really hurts - for all that at one time... must have been horrific). But still, he should be okay in a few months. One broken bone or a bunch of them, surgery or not, bone injuries normally heal in a few months with good medical care.

Again, that must have been one hell of a crash. I don't think I've ever heard of such severe injuries from a bike crash in a park. Maybe from falling down a cliff.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • the tour for ATYCLB was perfection
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSZv9KKf0g0
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Really he just has a bunch of broken bones. He should be just fine in a few months.

Well, I wouldn't call it "just" a bunch of broken bones. Or at least, some of these sound pretty serious:
    3. Left compound distal humerus fracture where the bone of his humerus was driven though his skin and the bone was in six different pieces. He was taken emergently to the operating room for a five-hour surgery Sunday evening where the elbow was washed out and debrided, a nerve trapped in the break was moved and the bone was repaired with three metal plates and 18 screws.
    4. One day later, he had surgery to his left hand to repair a fracture of his 5th metacarpal.
    Well, yeah, it's a BUNCH of broken bones, lol. And a fracture is a crack in the bone - not nearly as serious. If his humerus was sticking out his skin then that's not a fracture. It's a break in at least one place (and actually it's shattered with that many breaks/fractures in one bone). But he's getting surgeries and stuff, and I'm sure it hurt REALLY bad (I've broken bones, and it really hurts - for all that at one time... must have been horrific). But still, he should be okay in a few months. One broken bone or a bunch of them, surgery or not, bone injuries normally heal in a few months with good medical care.

Again, that must have been one hell of a crash. I don't think I've ever heard of such severe injuries from a bike crash in a park. Maybe from falling down a cliff.
    yeah!

come on bono, walk it off!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • The renew package for U2.com subscribers looks pretty sweet (despite the lack of details). A double 10" live record of a rare live show from 1980.
    http://www.u2.com/news/title/classic-live-set-double-vinyl/

----------
    Rare live set from 1980, now on double vinyl and digitally remastered.
    Introducing our 2014/15 subscription offer.

North Side Story brought our subscribers the inside track on U2's formative years. Now this classic 1980 live set captures the sound of that young band as they head out on tour.

Recorded in a small club, with just a few hundred passionate fans, this vintage live set captures a time when the band were taking songs like The Electric Co, I Will Follow and Out of Control on the road across Ireland and the UK .

There was no internet or digital downloading in 1980 - even the CD was still to arrive - the band's debut LP Boy was released on vinyl. In keeping with that history, and in tribute to the return of vinyl, as a U2.com subscriber you'll receive this limited edition live set on two 10" vinyl albums in a bespoke gatefold sleeve.

Like it's companion piece North Side Story, this limited edition release will not be on sale online or in store.

New subscribers have the option of choosing the double vinyl OR North Side Stories, which also comes with the poster, 'Wandering In U2's Dublin', charting the band's connection to their home city over 35 years.

As well as this limited edition gift, subscribers to U2.com gain access to distinct content on the site and are first in line for ticket presales when the band head out on tour.

The cover, title and tracklisting of this special release will be announced in the next few weeks. Delivery of the physical product is expected in Spring 2015.
  • The renew package for U2.com subscribers looks pretty sweet (despite the lack of details). A double 10" live record of a rare live show from 1980.
    http://www.u2.com/news/title/classic-live-set-double-vinyl/

----------
    Rare live set from 1980, now on double vinyl and digitally remastered.
    Introducing our 2014/15 subscription offer.

North Side Story brought our subscribers the inside track on U2's formative years. Now this classic 1980 live set captures the sound of that young band as they head out on tour.

Recorded in a small club, with just a few hundred passionate fans, this vintage live set captures a time when the band were taking songs like The Electric Co, I Will Follow and Out of Control on the road across Ireland and the UK .

There was no internet or digital downloading in 1980 - even the CD was still to arrive - the band's debut LP Boy was released on vinyl. In keeping with that history, and in tribute to the return of vinyl, as a U2.com subscriber you'll receive this limited edition live set on two 10" vinyl albums in a bespoke gatefold sleeve.

Like it's companion piece North Side Story, this limited edition release will not be on sale online or in store.

New subscribers have the option of choosing the double vinyl OR North Side Stories, which also comes with the poster, 'Wandering In U2's Dublin', charting the band's connection to their home city over 35 years.

As well as this limited edition gift, subscribers to U2.com gain access to distinct content on the site and are first in line for ticket presales when the band head out on tour.

The cover, title and tracklisting of this special release will be announced in the next few weeks. Delivery of the physical product is expected in Spring 2015.

their yearly fan club gifts are always AMAZING
    worth every penny of a membership price. IMO

also...i bought the cd version of the new disc and it came with a 2nd disc that is all good.
    i'm very happy with this new music.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Just when you thought Streets was an untouchable song, Bruce absolutely knocked it out of the park!
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

What was he doing going a hundred miles an hour on a bicycle? Can you imagine if you came on that scene or witnessed this accident. I did witness in DC RFK Stadium The Joshua Tree tour Bono slipped on a wet stage and dislocated his shoulder and had to cancel the rest of the show after 4 blazing hot songs. Needless to say I was beyond disappointed on that rainy
    Sunday Muddy Sunday.
    :-q

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Newch91 said:

Just when you thought Streets was an untouchable song, Bruce absolutely knocked it out of the park!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8smHql_MCcI
  • Newch91 said:

That depends on how you look at it. I thought that, while good, it didn't even came close to when performed by U2 with Bono. With the full band that song takes off, with Bruce it seemed stuck in a Jersey swamp. He put more weight on the song while that one needs a kind of lightness to it.

Still, it was an enjoyable performance. Chris Martin did also OK, while at the same time proving he's no Bono.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141

Newch91 said:

That depends on how you look at it. I thought that, while good, it didn't even came close to when performed by U2 with Bono. With the full band that song takes off, with Bruce it seemed stuck in a Jersey swamp. He put more weight on the song while that one needs a kind of lightness to it.

Still, it was an enjoyable performance. Chris Martin did also OK, while at the same time proving he's no Bono.
    i agree. it was cool seeing him up there...but i did not like the way he was singing it. almost like he was yelling instead of singing. get well soon bono.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • elenelen Milan, Italy Posts: 188
    a pretty solid rumor is saying that 2015 tour will be announced today :)>-
    2006: Verona, Milano, Honolulu
    2007: London
    2014: Milano
    2016: MSG1, MSG2, Fenway1, Fenway2, Wrigley1, Wrigley2
    2018: London1, Milano, Padova, Roma
  • elenelen Milan, Italy Posts: 188
    2006: Verona, Milano, Honolulu
    2007: London
    2014: Milano
    2016: MSG1, MSG2, Fenway1, Fenway2, Wrigley1, Wrigley2
    2018: London1, Milano, Padova, Roma
  • weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    Anybody a fan club member and not using your presale code? I'd love to use it for the Boston show.
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    U2 providing tour dates
    2144 members, 5936 guests, 0 anonymous users
    wow
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    Ooooooooooo they are coming to my town. Must get ticket must get ticket must get ticket
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • secured two $85 GA floor tickets today with my u2 fan club ticketbastard presale code
    very happy about that
  • Anybody a fan club member and not using your presale code? I'd love to use it for the Boston show.

LMAO
    good luck with that!!!!

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Any body get a spare for the MSG or Boston shows i'd gladly take it off your hands thanks ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    edited December 2014
    The 2nd show in Vancouver is a Friday. Sweet. Never seen them before - definitely have to go for tix so I can see them once in my life..... i have to admit though, as someone who hasn't seen them, I am disappointed that it's not going to be a typical massive stadium production. I have always been looking forward to seeing the huge U2 extravaganza, and just when it finally works out that I can see them they ditch that format. :(
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:

The 2nd show in Vancouver is a Friday. Sweet. Never seen them before - definitely have to go for tix so I can see them once in my life..... i have to admit though, as someone who hasn't seen them, I am disappointed that it's not going to be a typical massive stadium production. I have always been looking forward to seeing the huge U2 extravaganza, and just when it finally works out that I can see them they ditch that format. :(

Honestly... seeing them in Rogers Arena is much better than seeing them at BC Place. Consider yourself lucky.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    They put on an amazing show. I think it was supporting "All That You Can't Leave Behind", but they played something like 7 shows in Boston over the course of 6 months. I caught 3 of the shows and they were just on fire. Then they upgrade to football stadium again so I skipped the last world tour. Nice to see they are back to playing the Garden.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    U2 still kick ass after all these years. Like Pearl Jam their recent records are average for their catalog but they still rock live. I can't imagine what a U2 tour would be like if they mixed up their setlist like Pearl Jam does. They've got enough money. They should challenge themselves to do it.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Every Breaking Wave from MTV EMA's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cszigsFaChc

I think any band would love to be able to write a song and perform it like this after 30 years. U2 still is amazing.

PJ_Soul said:

Honestly... seeing them in Rogers Arena is much better than seeing them at BC Place. Consider yourself lucky.
    I assume it will be really good (unless they play tons of the new album, which doesn't do much for me), and i don't normally like big stadium shows... But i just had an idea in mind about U2 in particular that fit the crazy stadium format. If I'd already seen that i would be WAY more into this smaller scale concept, which I'd normally be all over for any artist. I just feel like I missed out on something unique in this particular case, given U2's reputation for huge production. I very rarely see huge production shows, so once in a while I just want to see one! Can't even remember the last time I did see one.... I think i have only seen one in my whole life actually: Pink Floyd. And it was awesome.
    For me after seeing many many (Who, Stones, Springsteen, Floyd, Mettalica etc) tours all of U2's the 360 tour was by far the best. Two on the floor/infield front row outer ring. However the best was in the stands lower level where one could take in the true concept of the 360 claw, it was awesome.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Every Breaking Wave from MTV EMA's

I think any band would love to be able to write a song and perform it like this after 30 years. U2 still is amazing.

Thanks for posting this....I saw this once before and I was floored my that performance and the sort of acoustic style they performed that song, simply beautiful.

Kind of reminds of a favorite PJ song of mine Amongst The Waves.

Peace

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    These guys have been together for what 30 plus yrs if anything they are masters of their crafts they are better now than they were back in 83 when I saw them for the 1st time , I'm looking forward to this tour !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Every Breaking Wave from MTV EMA's

that is incredible. a++
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    U2 are, like Pearl Jam, still one of the best live bands in the world, or so I'm told. Haven't seen U2 in 20 yrs or so, but I got my ticket and I will see them on this tour!! Jippi!!
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014