Options

***Official U2 Appreciation Thread***

Comments

• Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    awilkins wrote:
    Oh, thank you. I was thinking, "a new single already?"
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    I really hope that's true. New U2 and Pearl Jam around the same time? I must be in heaven!
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 3,996
    Lets hope we don't hear anything as embarrassing as "get on your boots"
    Ugh!
    Time for this band to reclaim its throne as one of the greatest rock bands..!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    I heard this today but only knew 1 of 3 of this U2 trivia....

What were the 3 previous names the band had before settling on U2?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under p wrote:

Peace
    Oh man. Good question. Was The Hype one of them?
  • Options
    Yes The Hype was the last one before U2, I got the first one from a book I read almost 30 years ago.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under p wrote:

Peace

I believe they started out as Feedback, then became The Hype before settling on U2 (and their definite line-up).
    I'm not aware of a possible 3rd name they had before they became U2.
  • Options
    Popmartijn wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Peace

I believe they started out as Feedback, then became The Hype before settling on U2 (and their definite line-up).
    I'm not aware of a possible 3rd name they had before they became U2.
    I forgot about Feedback. Good call on that one.
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    I remember The Hype and Feedback from the U2 By U2 book a read last year.
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    Well I can't believe you guys that you have not gotten the first one and that is....

The Larry Mullen Band I got that one. :D since he was the youngest and the founder of the band. I get the feeling that name did not last very long.

Peace

• Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 3,996
    So much for the "guarentee" we would see a new cd by September.
    What's the "official" date now?
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    locked wrote:
    So much for the "guarentee" we would see a new cd by September.
    What's the "official" date now?
    Sometime in 2014 (I hope).
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    Ready for new U2. They never disappoint.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    anyone have any ideas?
    Something a bit special is coming up on our U2.com subscription site tomorrow.

As you know, we like to show you some love - so tomorrow we're bringing you something a little out of the ordinary.

Can't say anymore but sign in Thursday at 6.30pm (US EDT).
    Check the time in your location.

best wishes,
    The U2.com Team.
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    norm wrote:
    anyone have any ideas?

As you know, we like to show you some love - so tomorrow we're bringing you something a little out of the ordinary.

best wishes,
    The U2.com Team.

:think:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    anyone have any ideas?

best wishes,
    The U2.com Team.

http://www.atu2.com/news/ordinary-love- ... today.html

:yawn:
  • Options
    They could have at least given us a free download of the song.
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Its about a single song for a movie?

Boys, wheres the new album already?
    Even Simple Minds has a new record out !
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    safe_image.php?d=AQBeyloui84ZOzw4&w=210&h=210&url=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgflip.com%2F494c5.jpg
  • Options
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    safe_image.php?d=AQBeyloui84ZOzw4&w=210&h=210&url=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgflip.com%2F494c5.jpg
    :lol::lol:
  • Options
  • Options
    WOW that is one hell of a shake up. Paul has been there from the very beginning. Last week I told my friend Michael Franti that IF they are chosen to tour with U2 AGAIN, we were taking sebacatles from work get a large RV and tour the country and Canada. He laughed and said you all would do that and that would be fun. :)

Peace

• Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Now i'm reading Madonnas manager might take over?

wtf boys?

its been way too long, you're falling off thew map !
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
  • Options
    All of Bono's talk of wanting to stay relevant must be the cause of this. They'll always be relevant; they're fucking U2! Like Bruce, U2 will always stay relevant.
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    I'll believe it when I have it in my hands and listening to it.
  • Options
    U2.com have posted info on the new subscriber's gift: North Side Story.
    large.jpg
    North Side Story: U2 in Dublin, 1978-1983
    'If U2 can slow down long enough to be heard, they could step to the fore of the Dublin music scene' (1978, live review)

In the late 1970's when Adam, Bono, Edge and Larry played their first gigs in Dublin's Northside, there was only one music title that would follow them all the way.

Hot Press Magazine was at the scene from schoolroom to stadium, Dublin bars to New York clubs, Out of Control to Under A Blood Red Sky.

Introducing North Side Story - a unique, ringside seat at the rise and rise of U2 in their home city.

An exclusive publication, commissioned from the Hot Press team in Ireland, this large-format 274-page book is full of rare and unpublished photos, reviews, interviews and original pieces by Adam and Bono.

Over the past six months Hot Press have tracked down many of the original players in the U2 story - schoolfriends, musicians, artists, promoters, DJ's and crew.

Along with their unique archive of original content, North Side Story features dozens of new interviews - from Paul McGuinness and Guggi to Jim Sheridan and Steve Lillywhite - bringing the story of the band right up to date.

The editorial lens is pulled back further with first-time translations of some of the earliest interviews the band gave as they embarked on dates around Europe.

Open up North Side Story and you'll find a beautiful pull-out wall-map, capturing landmark moments in U2's Dublin from the early years to the present day. 'North And South of the River, Wandering In U2's Dublin' has been commissioned from U2's long-time design team.

It's been a remarkable project, says Niall Stokes, Hot Press Editor, whose writers, designers and photographers' have produced this special title.

'Watching Feedback play in 1976, no-one could have dreamed of what lay ahead. We've ended up with a roller coaster, blow-by-blow account of the band's earliest days, telling the story of the genesis of U2 in a unique, powerful and, I hope, fantastically captivating and revealing way.

'It's about where Adam, Bono, Edge and Larry came from and the remarkable bond that bound them together, even in the face of adversity. I think fans of the band are going to love it.'

Looks quite nice!
    (though sadly no CD with rare music)