Options

***Official U2 Appreciation Thread***

Comments

• Options
    halvhalv Posts: 680
    g under p said:

For me after seeing many many (Who, Stones, Springsteen, Floyd, Mettalica etc) tours all of U2's the 360 tour was by far the best. Two on the floor/infield front row outer ring. However the best was in the stands lower level where one could take in the true concept of the 360 claw, it was awesome.

I really wanted to love the 360 show but it bored me to tears. I found it really choreographed and a bit dull. But I was right up near the stage and I heard from friends who had seats farther back that it was better to be farther away than closer to be able to take in the whole spectacle. My favourite tours so far are Joshua Tree, ATYCLB, Vertigo and Popmart. Im excited about the new tour. Going to both shows in Vancouver. 1 night on the floor and the next in rafters.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    got two ga today for the last show in nyc.....so pumped! i'll be seeing them twice this tour.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
    Been a U2 fan since 87 and never missed a tour. Ticket prices are obscene for this tour. $312 for upper level seats at MSG! No thanks, for $75 or so PJ plays for 3+ hours and wipes the floor with U2.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/03/arts/music/u2s-flight-to-now-turbulence-included.html?_r=0

Great NYTimes article on the band's upcoming tour starting May 14th in Vancouver.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Pretty fired up for the 15th.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

Pretty fired up for the 15th.

They better come down here to Florida, the 360 Tour in Miami was sold out and best one of the three I saw.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    g under p said:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/03/arts/music/u2s-flight-to-now-turbulence-included.html?_r=0
    Great NYTimes article on the band's upcoming tour starting May 14th in Vancouver.
    Peace

what a great article. thanks for posting this
    here's what perked my interest. this tour is going to be awesome.

The initial idea was to work up two entirely different concerts, but U2 worried about leaving out staples or having fans think they’d gotten the second-best show. As of last week, it planned instead to have a relatively fixed first half and a varying second one — separated, for the first time on a U2 tour, by an intermission. The band is also planning to work the entire room. Running nearly the length of the coliseum floor was U2’s triple platform: a large rectangular stage (a strip of which could light up as “I” for Innocence), a smaller round stage (“e” for experience) and, between them, a walkway that’s wide enough to become a third stage, sometimes sandwiched between LED video screens.

The tour’s most striking innovation isn’t immediately obvious. U2 has moved its sound system to arena ceilings: an oval of 12 speaker arrays that sends the music downward evenly everywhere in the arena. When I walked all around the coliseum as the band played, the music was uniformly transparent and strong, the volume constant from front to back. “If you’re trying to blast sound the length of the venue from the stage, the venue sometimes wins and you get mud,” the Edge said. “With this, you don’t have to have it so loud — you’re getting good quality sound from something that’s much closer to you than normal.”

The band calls the walkway the divider stage because that’s what it does midway through the concert — turning into a barrier that separates the audience completely.
  • Options
    elenelen Milan, Italy Posts: 188
    2006: Verona, Milano, Honolulu
    2007: London
    2014: Milano
    2016: MSG1, MSG2, Fenway1, Fenway2, Wrigley1, Wrigley2
    2018: London1, Milano, Padova, Roma
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    I wish the band would just stripp it down to them on a conventional stage , I know this will be a great tour but to me big production shows aren't my cup of tea I'm going to have to scalp at MSG for one of the shows ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    jose, did you read that ny times article above? this might be their best arena tour since elevation
  • Options
    bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    I'm really excited for the tour to begin, even though I won't be seeing them until September
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Options
    bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    So tonight the tour begins! Jippi!!
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Every Breaking Wave from MTV EMA's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cszigsFaChc

I think any band would love to be able to write a song and perform it like this after 30 years. U2 still is amazing.

Can you imagine going to work in the morning and these guys cause you to be LATE! The TOUR starts tonight.

THIS is pretty damn AWESOME......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aluYo-FSqiw

PEACE
    Post edited by g under p on

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    stage setup
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    norm said:

stage setup

Too cool! Very excited I have GA tickets to see them next month.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    JustaPJFanJustaPJFan Posts: 710
    Saw some vids of Vancouver. Looked very cool. Setlist not very different then normal, but let's see. Hope they will do other setlists every day, same as PJ.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    edited May 2015
    The Edge fell off the stage last night... Fell off? Actually, he literally just walked off the edge of it. Lol!

https://youtu.be/rta9CHp7bEE

I am not seeing them. $300+ for a 100 level seat?? Fuck you U2. Outrageous.
    I did have 2 cheaper GA tix in my cart, but Ticketmaster had an error and i lost them. Oh well. Still haven't been and be to see U2, and at those prices perhaps I never will. I wouldn't spend more than maybe $90 to see them.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Hahah, what a dick.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options

Hahah, what a dick.

Apparently, he is now too cool to even watch where he's stepping, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    Did you check stunhub? For Boston shows, upper deck seats are going for $35 each and GA floors aren't even sold out
  • Options
    I just saw them and they were freaking awesome.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Did you check stunhub? For Boston shows, upper deck seats are going for $35 each and GA floors aren't even sold out

That is very nice for Boston! Both Vancouver shows sold out in minutes. I wasn't checking for last minute deals though. Obviously did not see them, which i guess is just as well, since I am sick.... that might have been my last chance though. Maybe I should have made it happen.

Still... U2 shouldn't be pricing their tix like that. It's just wrong IMO. I wish people would stop paying for them. It would be so easy to lower dumb concert ticket prices, if only people were able to cooperate with each other en masse. Sigh.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Their tickets are expensive, but they sell so one can't fault them for their pricing structure. If they sell the tickets for 100... the scalpers sell them for 300. Why should the scalpers reap the available profit? It's not 'wrong'... they're on point.

The show last night was awesome. I've seen them three times and this one was my favourite show. You should have gone. You would have liked it.
  • Options
    halvhalv Posts: 680
    I went to both shows in Vancouver and last night, show #2, was everything you want and expect from a U2 show. It was incredible. I always wish they had a more varied set list but it didn't really matter. They sounded amazing and I had a great time. What a show.
  • Options
    JustaPJFanJustaPJFan Posts: 710
    halv said:

I went to both shows in Vancouver and last night, show #2, was everything you want and expect from a U2 show. It was incredible. I always wish they had a more varied set list but it didn't really matter. They sounded amazing and I had a great time. What a show.

Yep. I am going to see them twice, Netherlands and Belgium. I sure hope they will have some variation between those shows. Bono said at the start that the two days would be TOTALLY different, that isn't the case. They still pull off a great show though.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Their tickets are expensive, but they sell so one can't fault them for their pricing structure. If they sell the tickets for 100... the scalpers sell them for 300. Why should the scalpers reap the available profit? It's not 'wrong'... they're on point.

The show last night was awesome. I've seen them three times and this one was my favourite show. You should have gone. You would have liked it.

I'm sick. In wouodn't have enjoyed anything last night. I am also broke. :( I am sad i didn't get to go, but it wasn't really an option.

I disagree that bands should make their tickets outrageously expensive just because the scalpers will. I think that's flawed logic.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I'm sick. In wouodn't have enjoyed anything last night. I am also broke. :( I am sad i didn't get to go, but it wasn't really an option.

I disagree that bands should make their tickets outrageously expensive just because the scalpers will. I think that's flawed logic.
    The logic is really simple: they set a price that has no problem selling. The tickets are obviously not overpriced or the shows would have had empty seats (I didn't see one).

I can think of countless professions that gouge consumers- many are necessary forcing one to spend the cash. U2 set their prices and they sold out. How can you complain about that? When you are the largest act from the last three decades, you should charge more than the typical band for your shows- especially when they deliver ass they do.

The show was bloody awesome. I've spent 275 in way worse ways than watching U2 after a six year hiatus.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Saw them in 97' & it is still the best concert I've ever been to.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

The logic is really simple: they set a price that has no problem selling. The tickets are obviously not overpriced or the shows would have had empty seats (I didn't see one).

I can think of countless professions that gouge consumers- many are necessary forcing one to spend the cash. U2 set their prices and they sold out. How can you complain about that? When you are the largest act from the last three decades, you should charge more than the typical band for your shows- especially when they deliver ass they do.

The show was bloody awesome. I've spent 275 in way worse ways than watching U2 after a six year hiatus.
    I supper artists doing their best to keep the price of face value tickets as low as possible so that the majority of people can enjoy the art. Making tickets thst expensive in incredibly exclusive, and indon't think that's right. I hate seeing concerts turning into events that poorer people simply cannot afford.

Wow... I'm not sure I'd pay $275 for any concert even if i did have the money to burn. It just seems way too expensive for what it is.
  • Options
    weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    How much were tickets there? 100-150 is good deal for U2 and the production they usually put on.