Options

***Official U2 Appreciation Thread***

Comments

• Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    I downloaded it but ive not slept well and honestly need to listen to it when my head is in its right place to get lost in its melody otherwise im going to feel so confused and im already confused today so when i wake up feeling fresh i'll blast it, i do like the sounds though because i listened to the demos :D
  • Options
    How did you get to do that?
  • Options
    Do what?
  • Options
    bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    I'm so happy the new album is here at last. It's quite good. And for free :D
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Options
    JWPearl said:

Do what?

Listened to the demos.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    I can't believe I was able to figure out how to download the album but I did it. My first download of an album and what a treat. The songs theme seem to be from when they first started out making music. Great marketing stragedy maybe due to new management in creating such a surprise buzz. Pretty cool, my favorite so far is track 10 This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    norm said:
    Too bad the actual music isn't more punk rock. It would probably be an improvement.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Punk Rock is dead !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

Punk Rock is dead !

Not according to the punk rock bands I went and saw a couple weeks ago at a punk rock club. It's alive and well. You just need to know where to find it. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    halvhalv Posts: 680
    Punk is an attitude not a certain style of music. Fugazi are a perfect example of what punk really means. Unafraid to take chances and try different sounds while being true to themselves.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Punk Rock is dead !

Not according to the punk rock bands I went and saw a couple weeks ago at a punk rock club. It's alive and well. You just need to know where to find it. :)
    I know i just felt like writing that :) ...
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    halv said:

Punk is an attitude not a certain style of music. Fugazi are a perfect example of what punk really means. Unafraid to take chances and try different sounds while being true to themselves.

FUGAZI were so awesome in the 80's as I saw then all over the DC Metro area.

http://youtu.be/SGJFWirQ3ks

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    I love the album its definitely a grower, I am faithful U2 fan..
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,272
    How to Dismantle an Obnoxious Band: Six Things U2 Could Do to Be Cool Again

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/six-things-u2-could-do-to-be-cool-again/
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    They were taking questions from their fans the other day. It's a good watch, if somewhat short. It's on facebook and you tooobe, search for U2 No Filter
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    cool again? when did they stop being cool? oh right, they didn't...just obnoxious assholes they wouldn't know good music from a cat dying in a wood chipper
  • Options
    why so much hate ? u2 have alot of plausible hits and i dont think u2 are offensive or odious in fact they do many praiseworthy things, i know they are no saints and thats questionable but their music and their charitable deeds is to be commended, i think your all just jealous your not as successful, thats what i think, why else would you bother coming on here and bitching
  • Options
    norm said:

cool again? when did they stop being cool? oh right, they didn't...just obnoxious assholes they wouldn't know good music from a cat dying in a wood chipper

oh, come on. i like u2 as well....but they were so much cooler 20+ years ago.

and while i've enjoyed all their albums, i don't think any of them over the last 15 years or so have held up very well. do you?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    get on your boots
    i'm glad that someone in the band finally said that this it was a bad decision as a single for the last cd.
  • Options

norm said:

and while i've enjoyed all their albums, i don't think any of them over the last 15 years or so have held up very well. do you?
    I think all of the albums before 1992 have held up 100%. None of them after Atchung Baby have at all. IMHO.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

norm said:

I think all of the albums before 1992 have held up 100%. None of them after Atchung Baby have at all. IMHO.
    zooropa has, for me at least. i still listen to that every once in a while. pop had it's moments....but i pretty much agree.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Poor Bono, first he was in a plane incident – a door fell off and his luggage fell out – and now he is suffering a severe injury to his eye, his shoulder and arm in a bike accident in Central Park. Speedy recovery!
  • Options
    Yeah, brutal. That's just what I was thinking: Bad week for Bono!

From CKNW News 980:

"U2 lead singer Bono's bike accident in New York is worse than initially reported. His upper left arm is broken in six places, he left shoulder blade in three places, and he damaged his left eye socket. A full recovery is expected."

@-) I don't even want to think about how much it must hurt to break your UPPER arm in 6 places. Must have been quite a crash!! ... Unless he's suffering from some kind of condition that weakens the bones.... which is actually pretty likely considering how hard it is to do that to your upper arm without it being run over by a tank or something.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,459
    AND he's got glaucoma.

I have a buddy who likes to say he "premedicated for glaucoma, back in the 70's"

U2 was and is a great band.....growing old way better than most.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    The details of Bono's injury were making me cringe. How bad of a fall was that if he was trying to avoid another person on a bike?

Back injury and surgery in 2010, door falling off his plane last week, and now this. Plus his glaucoma, as imalive posted.

Hoping for a full recovery. This must be tough for the band, as they have been promoting the hell out of Songs of Innocence and were in the early stages of planning a tour.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Yeah, I wonder if the tour will be postponed. But it really doesn't matter, all that matters is that Bono recovers fully.
  • Options
    Really he just has a bunch of broken bones. He should be just fine in a few months.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    damn he really took a bad spill ...
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Really he just has a bunch of broken bones. He should be just fine in a few months.

Well, I wouldn't call it "just" a bunch of broken bones. Or at least, some of these sound pretty serious:
    1. Left facial fracture involving the orbit of his eye.
    2. Left scapula (shoulder blade) fracture in three separate pieces.
    3. Left compound distal humerus fracture where the bone of his humerus was driven though his skin and the bone was in six different pieces. He was taken emergently to the operating room for a five-hour surgery Sunday evening where the elbow was washed out and debrided, a nerve trapped in the break was moved and the bone was repaired with three metal plates and 18 screws.
    4. One day later, he had surgery to his left hand to repair a fracture of his 5th metacarpal.