Options

***Official U2 Appreciation Thread***

Comments

• Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Happy Birthday Adam! :)
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    Newch91 wrote:
    Happy Birthday Adam! :)

Happy, Happy Birthday! :mrgreen:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    incredible exclusive fan club only gifts every year. no bands, that i know of, top what they do, in this regard
  • Options
    incredible exclusive fan club only gifts every year. no bands, that i know of, top what they do, in this regard
    I really want to join the fan club for the live disc, but I don't know about paying $50 to join.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    well sirius is playing live at the bbc from 1983...missed the first 20 minutes :( and this is the last replay...hopefully it will be up somewhere to download
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,321
    g under p wrote:
    After Joshua Tree i can remember this cover.....

19870427.jpg

......I still have it in my all U2 bin in the attic somewhere.

Peace

Yeah i can remember that clear as day and then trying to score tickets with no luck at all thru TM but you sure as hell could score tickets to all shows thru the brokers at only 300% up charge from original fee , that's when i had had enough until Pearl Jam came along and gave me hope and treated me like a fan they made me feel important as a paying customer ........
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    well sirius is playing live at the bbc from 1983...missed the first 20 minutes :( and this is the last replay...hopefully it will be up somewhere to download
    I hope so.
  • Options
    PopmartijnPopmartijn Posts: 382
    Newch91 wrote:
    I really want to join the fan club for the live disc, but I don't know about paying $50 to join.

Well, that's up to you. But when you renew your membership after the first year the costs drop to $40. And in general their fan club CDs are pretty good (like the outtakes collection Medium, the remix album Artificial Horizon or the Slane concert). Only last year's fan club CD was a slight disappointed with their Duals album, containing some exclusive songs but also a few that are readilily available on some albums.
  • Options
    Popmartijn wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Well, that's up to you. But when you renew your membership after the first year the costs drop to $40. And in general their fan club CDs are pretty good (like the outtakes collection Medium, the remix album Artificial Horizon or the Slane concert). Only last year's fan club CD was a slight disappointed with their Duals album, containing some exclusive songs but also a few that are readilily available on some albums.
    Yeah, I've liked what I've seen from the releases. It seems like this live disc could be released to the public.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
    g under p wrote:
    After Joshua Tree i can remember this cover.....

19870427.jpg

......I still have it in my all U2 bin in the attic somewhere.

Peace

Yeah i can remember that clear as day and then trying to score tickets with no luck at all thru TM but you sure as hell could score tickets to all shows thru the brokers at only 300% up charge from original fee , that's when i had had enough until Pearl Jam came along and gave me hope and treated me like a fan they made me feel important as a paying customer ........

Funny enough it's after this tour and hoopla that I went from obessed fan from the Boy album to casual fan. Way too many fans came out of the woodworks as if they were fans all along. I was lucky to have a connection in the music business to be able to get good seats on that entire tour. Biggest dissappointment was the DC show at RFK Stadium where Bono slipped in the rain in front of 55,000 fans dislocating his shoulder. It was a Sunday Muddy Sunday still had a good time for 5 songs.

peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Why are they working with a songwriting team?

http://www.atu2.com/news/report-u2-work ... -falk.html
  • Options
    For those who are U2.com subscribers, a new preview of the U22 live set is available: All I Want Is You/Love Rescue Me. Look at your account info page to see the download.
  • Options
    Saw this posted on Twitter. It's scary how Bono's son looks just like "Boy"(?) Bono.

http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Bono/Bono+ ... VzqG4pYOpn
  • Options
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    Newch91 wrote:

:nono: No U2, No. Bad band.
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    thefixer9 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

It's mostly Bono, I assume. Just go back to what made them awesome: make ALBUMS, not a collection of singles.
  • Options
    Bono and The Edge's version of "Original of the Species" from the Every Mother Counts 2012 CD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUWL17B0Ur4

It's good, but I think I prefer the album version.
  • Options
    Bono, you magnificent SOB.

http://www.spinner.com/2012/05/17/bono- ... -billions/

Bono to Become World's Richest Musician After Facebook IPO

Bono, that guy from U2, is set to become the world's richest musician in the world when Facebook's IPO starts trading tomorrow, NME reports. He will overtake Paul McCartney (that guy from the Beatles) and will likely commemorate the occasion with a very heartfelt "Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah!"

The Irish singer owns 2.3 percent of the Facebook shares after having purchased them at $90 million in 2009. Now that the company is worth over $100 billion, Bono will be worth more than $1.5 billion. Meanwhile, McCartney is just over worth a measly billion dollars.

Let this be a lesson for all of us who didn't buy stock in Facebook. At least we can feel superior if, in this particular instance, he counts his money with the grammatically incorrect "Uno, dos, tres, catorce!" (one, two, three, 14 in Spanish).
  • Options
    thefixer9 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Who the hell is One Direction never heard of them. Go back to the formula that made albums like The Unforgetable Fire and U2 will seell all the albums they will need.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under p wrote:
    thefixer9 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Who the hell is One Direction never heard of them. Go back to the formula that made albums like The Unforgetable Fire and U2 will seell all the albums they will need.

Peace
    You don't want to know and I agree.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

Bono, that guy from U2, is set to become the world's richest musician in the world when Facebook's IPO starts trading tomorrow, NME reports. He will overtake Paul McCartney (that guy from the Beatles) and will likely commemorate the occasion with a very heartfelt "Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah!"

The Irish singer owns 2.3 percent of the Facebook shares after having purchased them at $90 million in 2009. Now that the company is worth over $100 billion, Bono will be worth more than $1.5 billion. Meanwhile, McCartney is just over worth a measly billion dollars.

Let this be a lesson for all of us who didn't buy stock in Facebook. At least we can feel superior if, in this particular instance, he counts his money with the grammatically incorrect "Uno, dos, tres, catorce!" (one, two, three, 14 in Spanish).

While Bono's stock and wealth goes up....Adam on the other had has some troubles....

U2's Adam Clayton in Court: Former Housekeeper May Have Stole Over $6 Million From Him

How do you not miss that kind of money and how does a housekeeper get access to to his accounts?

Peace

• Options
    g under p wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

While Bono's stock and wealth goes up....Adam on the other had has some troubles....

U2's Adam Clayton in Court: Former Housekeeper May Have Stole Over $6 Million From Him

How do you not miss that kind of money and how does a housekeeper get access to to his accounts?

Peace
    That's probably pocket money for Adam. But still, I agree with you. How does he not miss it?
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

It appears all those reports about Bono being worth $1.5 billion after the Facebook IPO are grossly inaccurate. But hey, $1.5 billion is a better headline than $10 million, even if the latter one is more accurate.
    http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/industry ... 9752.story
    Key quote from that article:
    Unfortunately, NME and other media outlets overlooked three important facts that have a direct impact the wealth generated by the IPO: Bono is one of seven managing partners at Elevation Partners, private equity firms keep only a small share of their profits and the firm sold only 11.5% of its shares on Friday.

Still, $10 million is a whole lotta dough. I doubt I'll ever have that much in my entire life.
  • Options
    That makes sense. Thanks! I think Bono said the money he earns from the sale is going towards Africa.
  • Options
    Oh my...

Sounds like the band was at work in February, although, according to the website, the period is not known when these are from. They think they're from February.

http://u2valencia.com/MOS/index.php?opt ... 5&Itemid=2
  • Options
    http://www.atu2.com/news/bono-u2s-best- ... -1979.html

BONO: U2'S 'BEST 3 WEEKS IN THE STUDIO SINCE 1979'

Bono made a (somewhat) surprise appearance on RTE TV tonight in Ireland during the 50th anniversary special for The Late Late Show, and he made a few interesting comments about U2's album progress.

Host Ryan Tubridy began by asking Bono what the band is up to currently.
    "Looking for the perfect pop song. Edge is in denial of his genius. I'm a little too sure of my own. Larry is suspicious of both and Adam sees merit in both. They're unbelievable. They really want it, though, I will say that. As a band there's no sense of entitlement. I think they're very aware that U2's gotta do something very special to have a reason to exist right now, so that's what we're doing. We're song writing -- you know the process. But it's -- they're amazing men. They really are extraordinary. They really, really want it."

"There won't be a U2 album unless there's something really special. You just gotta go to that place. You gotta dig a deep well and see what you can pull up. We've been through many songs and there's some great stuff. I would say we had the best three weeks in the studio that we've had since, like, 1979. Three weeks is all it should take...."

Later in the interview, he says he knows U2 has a great song "because the band will stop arguing."

You can watch the show online via RTE, but it may only be viewable for the next three weeks. Bono's segment starts at the 2:00:00 mark, and then he starts talking about the album at about 2:03:00.
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    Newch91 wrote:
    http://www.atu2.com/news/bono-u2s-best-3-weeks-in-the-studio-since-1979.html

Bono made a (somewhat) surprise appearance on RTE TV tonight in Ireland during the 50th anniversary special for The Late Late Show, and he made a few interesting comments about U2's album progress.

"Looking for the perfect pop song. Edge is in denial of his genius. I'm a little too sure of my own. Larry is suspicious of both and Adam sees merit in both. They're unbelievable. They really want it, though, I will say that. As a band there's no sense of entitlement. I think they're very aware that U2's gotta do something very special to have a reason to exist right now, so that's what we're doing. We're song writing -- you know the process. But it's -- they're amazing men. They really are extraordinary. They really, really want it."

"There won't be a U2 album unless there's something really special. You just gotta go to that place. You gotta dig a deep well and see what you can pull up. We've been through many songs and there's some great stuff. I would say we had the best three weeks in the studio that we've had since, like, 1979. Three weeks is all it should take...."

Later in the interview, he says he knows U2 has a great song "because the band will stop arguing."

You can watch the show online via RTE, but it may only be viewable for the next three weeks. Bono's segment starts at the 2:00:00 mark, and then he starts talking about the album at about 2:03:00.

don't believe the hype, Bono is always full of shit. :lol:
  • Options
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    http://www.atu2.com/news/bono-u2s-best-3-weeks-in-the-studio-since-1979.html

don't believe the hype, Bono is always full of shit. :lol:

:lol: Oh I know that. I won't believe anything him or the rest of the guys say about an album until I actually see it.
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    After sitting on the table all week, I fnally opened the fan club gift - U22. I knew it was a double disc set of live tracks from the tour, of which I already have quite a few bootlegs, so I really didn't have high expectations. But it is actually pretty cool - it's a 12" square book with about 20 pages of full color photos from the tour, almost like a tour program. The cd's are in pockets in the front cover. It's very well done, a nice momento of the tour. I am pleasently surprised by it. Now I need to actually listen to it.
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    After sitting on the table all week, I fnally opened the fan club gift - U22. I knew it was a double disc set of live tracks from the tour, of which I already have quite a few bootlegs, so I really didn't have high expectations. But it is actually pretty cool - it's a 12" square book with about 20 pages of full color photos from the tour, almost like a tour program. The cd's are in pockets in the front cover. It's very well done, a nice momento of the tour. I am pleasently surprised by it. Now I need to actually listen to it.

this fan club gift is the best ever imo
    loved everything about it. a lot of cash&thought went in to making these and u r right it's a great momento of a great tour. i wasn't a big fan of the 1st leg of the tour but after bono came back from his back injury things were right in place. the 360 show/stage was something else. got goosebumps 3 times going into work today while listening to one of the u22 cds

this cd set is worth the cost of being a fan club member.