Options

Star Wars May the 4th be with you (Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    JimmyV said:
    I liked it. I'm glad they tried something different. Liked what they did with Luke, the action was great. Liked the idea of the story for the most part.
    Now, that is not to say it did not have its issues. An example, I think Snoke, much like Darth Maul in the prequels, was wasted. 
    And it seemed like Johnson took a lot from TFA and just ignored, redid, or unmade it. Almost seems like there is no plan for this trilogy and each writer is doing their own thing regardless of what happened before.
    There are so many reasons to be critical of the prequels but a big one has always been Lucas not planning that trilogy out. To see LucasFilm make the same exact mistake all over again is incredibly disappointing.
    And that is not to say I don't like where Johnson pointed the franchise.  Replacing the old guard with the new is OK with me. But I don't want JJ to come in and make Return of the Jedi again. I like how Johnson put the kid at the end that is a Force Adept. I would rather them run with it.

One thing so great about Marvel is how all these movies and stories are planned out. All in the same Universe .And while they all may not be direct sequels to one another, they at least know the direction they are all heading in.  They know the others exist. And Star Wars may be the same once Episode 9 is released. I am hoping so.

I am looking forward to Johnson trilogy outside of this current set of movies. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    It seemed like they were trying to use humor like Marvel does.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I did wind up going on Saturday, and while I wouldn't say that I enjoyed it as much as TFA, I did leave thinking that it was a much better film overall. And now after digesting it for a few days, I'm putting it next to TESB as the best of the franchise. I'm going again on Friday so that I can watch it more for execution than plot, performance and spectacle.

I will say that the final showdown in Episode IX seems like it will be pretty weak if it picks up right where TLJ left off. I mean, unless the crawl to episode IX has something about groups from all over the galaxy joining the resistance and Kylo Ren not being such a impetuous little bitch, I see some pretty lackluster battles coming our way.

DJ forever!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,916
    Yep. OJ in space.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    Yep. OJ in space.

Why wouldn't they be?

The Millennium Falcon is "the fastest ship in the galaxy"; it "made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs." Perhaps some of that mechanical engineering ingenuity was shared with the general and her ranks.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I would think that the end result of this trilogy is to restore the Jedi Order as we saw it exist in the prequel trilogy. Seeing that random kid using the force was evidence of this, plus Luke's 'sacrifice' to kind of spark/embolden the rebellion also will serve the same way with the Jedi. Rae will probably put it together at the end of IX. It doesnt seem like Kylo Ren is redeemable at this point without a master to lash out against... unless Snopes isnt ded and comes back and kicks his ass and he escapes or something. 

Then once that is established, there will be infinite directions things can go, spin off, etc.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I don't think Kylo is redeemable either, I think he stays conflicted but stays dark, I think he continues to fall for Rey (and vise versa) and try to seduce her to the Dark. The real issue is whether Rey can stay Light.
    They should have had Finn die by a resistance traitor, that would really throw her into the fire.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    I'm thinking Kylo could gather all the might of the First Order and then destroy them himself and sacrifice his life, that's the only path to redemption I see right now, and love for Rey is the only path I see to it.
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,145
    It was good, not great.When I saw the end of Force Awakens with Luke...I had real hope of some amazing stuff, I thought it didn't Materialize all too well. 

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,367
    Laura Dern ran her lines with Eddie Vedder 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,620
    I am already on record as liking it but the Princess floating around and then pulling herself back in was, hands down, the worst moment of the 'new' movies.  I laughed out loud, while others clapped, in the theater. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    Laura Dern ran her lines with Eddie Vedder 
    E and blow?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    I am already on record as liking it but the Princess floating around and then pulling herself back in was, hands down, the worst moment of the 'new' movies.  I laughed out loud, while others clapped, in the theater. 
    That was the worst of many cringe inducing scenes that were badly written, acted or just plain ran too long.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    That was the worst of many cringe inducing scenes that were badly written, acted or just plain ran too long.
    He milked an alien.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,872
    igotid88 said:
    $220 million opening weekend
    thought it might surpass the Force Awakens, but no fell short by about $28 million.  Still very impressive.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    He milked an alien.
    I didn’t see any convenience stores in the vicinity. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Like the Mos Eisely Cantina?
    Han's rapey pick-up attempts?
    The Rancor's crying pigman?
    The Ewoks?

Star Wars is supposed to have some light and silly moments, that's part of the identity.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    dankind said:
    He milked an alien.
    I didn’t see any convenience stores in the vicinity. 
    Look harder, in the background, top left, looks like a 7-Eleven to me.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    My friend sent me this, not sure where he got it but it's well said....

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
  • Options
    I thought it was fantastic. The scene where the ship goes through the other ship at light speed was one of the best scenes of a movie ever. 
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    He milked an alien.
    The milking and drinking were hilarious!
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    I thought it was fantastic. The scene where the ship goes through the other ship at light speed was one of the best scenes of a movie ever. 
    Idiots in the cinema thought that silence after it went through before the explosion thought the silence was a cue for them to talk, spoiled that moment.
  • Options
    I was confused by that scene where Rey stepped into that cave and saw many reflections of herself in a long line.
    What was that all about?
  • Options
    8 previous films and this never occurred as a plan before?
  • Options
    8 previous films and this never occurred as a plan before?
    Death star, big, large mass.
    Starkiller base, very big, very large mass.
    It would probably get about half way lol
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,458

big shock, huh? :tired_face:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

big shock, huh? :tired_face:
    It would have been a good way to kill of Leia. Let her beautifully float off dead in space with Leia's theme music playing.
    Or they fetch her and she dies on board the ship.