Options

Royal Wedding . . . Are you watching?

Comments

• Options
    Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,191
    Digital Twighlight,

They get that Charity money from tax payers....
    I couldn't give a shit about these royals, my ancestors are not from England.

I don't care about a lot of things posted on here or in the news but I don't post spiteful comments about it :?

And it's not just the money they give away but their time and effort in raising awareness about different issues. You can critise all you like but i'm gonna take a guess and say they have done more charity work in one year then you will do in your entire lifetime.

If you don't like something that's fine but no need to be so hateful towards a wedding.
    :clap::clap::clap:
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I do not understand why non-Commonwealth nations broadcast it and give it such attention.
    They are British royals not World royals.
    I don't understand you wanting to stifle the enjoyment of sharing in a beautiful moment.
    One based in tradition, history but more importantly love.

It made my day and I think many around the world.

I smiled and cried and my heart has high hopes for them...
    I have emotions today I would be without if not for the sharing.
  • Options
    EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    pandora wrote:
    I smiled and cried and my heart has high hopes for them...
    I have emotions today I would be without if not for the sharing.
    I agree Pandora. :D It's lovely. And besides, there are FAR more ridiculous and ludicrous things that media spends far more time on, so why all the hating on the love celebration of the royal family? I wish them the best, and they're just adorable.
  • Options
    I do not understand why non-Commonwealth nations broadcast it and give it such attention.

Exactly.

Dunno. I guess some people are just interested. 2 billion people are supposed to be watching today.

Hey, they show the superbowl in England. Why? It's an American sport and it isn't played over here so why show it?

Some people just like the sport. Some people just like the Royals. I don't get what people are so strung up about it for. If you are fed up of it on television then stop watching and go do something else for a while. It's not as if there is one every year, or every four years like a World Cup.

I think it's good that the media is focusing on something good for a change rather then what 'celebrity' fell in a gutter this week.
  • Options
    StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    Stillhere,

It all depends...

on what, Thoughts?
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560

Exactly.

Dunno. I guess some people are just interested. 2 billion people are supposed to be watching today.

Hey, they show the superbowl in England. Why? It's an American sport and it isn't played over here so why show it?

Some people just like the sport. Some people just like the Royals. I don't get what people are so strung up about it for. If you are fed up of it on television then stop watching and go do something else for a while. It's not as if there is one every year, or every four years like a World Cup.

I think it's good that the media is focusing on something good for a change rather then what 'celebrity' fell in a gutter this week.
    Well said. It's better than hearing about Lindsey Lohan and Donald Trump.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Boo Boo wrote:
    They've done nothing for me.

Were they supposed too? Is that it? They have to do something for you to just get kindness back?
    hmmmm.... :roll:

I want my tax money back.

Don't get your knickers in a twist - no australian tax money goes to the 'upkeep' of the royal family.
  • Options
    StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    hmmm..I hadn't cared much about the Royal Wedding..and had not even known that it was today (it was today right? seems so from reading here)

But now after reading all your posts, I might actually want to catch it on the replay....I'm sure there will be plenty of replays.

While I certainly don't agree with the attitude that the royals, or anyone else, is a better person than any other, especially due to their social status, still, its nice to see the love in the air. Not being from England, I guess it's hard to understand just what the Royal Family means to the populists. Apparently a lot more than meets the eye to us here in the states. It is kind of heartwarming to see and hear all the love.

Interesting the different viewpoints we have here. Divided by location for the most part, it seems.

I think I will watch the reruns just to share in some of that love :)
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158

I like to think of them as the future King and Queen of the World.
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399

Exactly.

I don't understand why British people really care to be honest, or why you guys still have a royal family when they no longer govern. You essentially have the most expensive mascots in the history of mankind. I understand it's tradition, but I think it is equally as pointless for somebody inside Britain to care as somebody outside. But why do people care about Paris Hilton, or Kim Kardashian? It's celebrity. And if people want to watch, wherever they live, then that's their business. Britain makes such a huge deal over this, it is to be expected that other people in the world are going to take notice, the hype machine is running full blast.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    I just caught the 40 minute recap. I just love being able to use the word pageantry.

I think Kate's pretty hot, actually. Also, my theory is that they're not truly in love.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    I think Kate's pretty hot, actually. Also, my theory is that they're not truly in love.
    :lol: +1 on the first part.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    I just caught the 40 minute recap. I just love being able to use the word pageantry.

She is pretty hot. That, I can agree with.
  • Options
    Prince William's not so bad himself. ;)
  • Options
    ...or why you guys still have a royal family when they no longer govern.

As do quite a number of European countries.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,168

I think Kate's pretty hot, actually. .
    yes,,she is for serious collectors.. 8-)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    butter that english muffin!!!!!!!
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,496
    He's a PRINCE!!!

comingToAmerica.gif
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    redrock wrote:

This is true, although Sweden and Denmark are the only ones I can think of, I'm sure there are probably more. And I don't really know much about their Royal Families, or how they live, what it may cost the tax payer, etc.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    EmBleve wrote:

There are still some yummy princes to be had (so says my daughter - one of the princes of Monaco, Andrea, it would seem) :mrgreen:
    Post edited by redrock on
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,496
    butter that english muffin!!!!!!!

After Fuller's beers, my favorite thing about England. :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    EmBleve wrote:

There are still some yummy princes to be had (so says my daughter - one of the princes of Monaco, Adrea, it would seem) :mrgreen:
    :D Monaco?? I can imagine!! 8-)
  • Options
    redrock wrote:

This is true, although Sweden and Denmark are the only ones I can think of, I'm sure there are probably more. And I don't really know much about their Royal Families, or how they live, what it may cost the tax payer, etc.

Also Norway, Belgium, Spain, Luxembourg, Monaco, The Netherlands, Andorra, Lichtenstein...

As you (?) said... tradition?

I don't have a problem with a monarchy like in the UK as the royal family don't govern. I, however, have a problem with the House of Lords.
  • Options
    FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Also worth mentioning is how hot Kate's sister is. Damn.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Last night the girlfriend mentioned it and I asked "what is the royal wedding?"

She was pretty surprised that I had no idea what was going on. I'm just ignorant though, I'm only watching the NBA playoffs right now. :oops:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I watched it. Politics aside, the Abbey, the bride and the city all looked spectacular. Perfect day for it. I love pomp and circumstance. Cool planes and buggys! :lol:

But whats with the hat fetish? :lol:
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    Also Norway, Belgium, Spain, Luxembourg, Monaco, The Netherlands, Andorra, Lichtenstein...

As you (?) said... tradition?

Apparently I hit a nerve, and I did not mean to. I'm not sure what role the Royal Families play in all of these countries. But in Britain they do not govern, or have any say in domestic/foreign policy. I would say they are still there mainly out of tradition than anything else. Do I think they need to get rid of them? Well I don't really think it's any of my business, I'm not British and I will not stick my nose that far in their affairs (other than just opining about it on a PJ board), as they don't do any real harm as I can see. I imagine the cost of sustaining them could probably be put to better use, but hey, I live in the USA. We don't exactly manage our money well either.
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:

She was pretty surprised that I had no idea what was going on. I'm just ignorant though, I'm only watching the NBA playoffs right now. :oops:
    :lol::lol: This reminds me of my boyfriend (although he's not watching NBA, but sometimes clueless nonetheless :) ) But last night just in conversation I said you know who gets married tomorrow? And he said no, who? I said Prince William and Kate. He said 'isn't he like, 12?'. :lol:
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:

Damn dude....you really have been living under a rock or something :lol:
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    dcfaithful wrote:

You've got your mind on the right things...