The 2013-14 NBA season

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    81 wrote:
    either way you want to slice it...it's a shame that small market teams can't compete in either sport.

That's not true. I can see that in the NBA, but in the Majors - I'm not saying having an exorbitant amount of money doesn't help - you can build a team to win but an organization needs to adhere by different rules. Tampa isn't the exception, they should be the model for every Pittsburgh, KC, and Oakland out there.

you can build the franchise to deliver talent, but that talent always seems to bolt for greener pastures.

on the flip side, you have teams like the yankee's who because of their success and location generate a shit ton of money...so i get why they spend...and if MLB put a salary cap in place....you'd have an owner who would pocket a shit ton of profit because they had to...unless there were to sell tv rights and tickets at a below market discount....unless of course, teams were forced to share local media dollars with the league...which also doesn't seem fair

I know not everyone loves the NFL system, but they seem to have gotten it right...then again, their product is also alot more limited...16 games per week vs. 90 MLB games per week or the 50+ nba/nhl games per week. makes it tough
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,961
    I'm not going to get into great in-depth analysis as I'm too lazy too - but I'll say this, the small market teams have to accept that, as Tampa does, and they let players go. But they spend wisely and farm a great system. And believe me the disparity in the revenues teams make is not that far apart now that RSN's are becoming more prominent and more profitable. I can't find the article this second, but the amount of money media companies are paying teams for the rights to broadcast their games is ridiculous. I don't know the exact number, but San Diego who saw a 41% DROP in attendance is getting ready to sign a highly lucrative TV contract. If anything, inadequate mgt. & stingy ownership should be blamed on small-market teams not thriving.
    If anything, inadequate mgt. & stingy ownership should be blamed on small-market teams not thriving.

that's a huge part of the problem as well.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,920
    these slam dunk contestants really have my pulse pounding. not.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    imalive wrote:
    these slam dunk contestants really have my pulse pounding. not.

Like I said earlier, the fact that Jeremy Evans is not a contestant is a travesty.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    There's something so watchable about LeBron going back and beating that fuckface Dan Gilbert's team in Cleveland. Take that for ruining our country's economy and also for your stupid emails with your stupid font.
    RW81233 wrote:
    There's something so watchable about LeBron going back and beating that fuckface Dan Gilbert's team in Cleveland. Take that for ruining our country's economy and also for your stupid emails with your stupid font.

Honestly, who the fuck uses Comic Sans anymore? Scrapbookers are about the only viable answer I can think of... :lol:

Dan Gilbert and Greg Miller (with his recent outlash towards Malone, basically taking the bait) are idiots in the realm of PR.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    and LeBron is talking about his next team already....

i really wish he would blow out his voice box
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,920
    dcfaithful wrote:

Honestly, who the fuck uses Comic Sans anymore? Scrapbookers are about the only viable answer I can think of... :lol:

http://bancomicsans.com/main/ :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    i hate afternoon games on days i'm not at home :x
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

you would only get that if you just read the headlines...dude was asked if he could ever see himself back in cleveland and he answered. what's he supposed to do say i'm a heat player for life? he'd be called a liar if he did that...so basically there was no right answer to the question. and if he said next question ESPN would make up a headline that was about how he avoided the question so something has to be going on.
    RW81233 wrote:
    81 wrote:

you would only get that if you just read the headlines...dude was asked if he could ever see himself back in cleveland and he answered. what's he supposed to do say i'm a heat player for life? he'd be called a liar if he did that...so basically there was no right answer to the question. and if he said next question ESPN would make up a headline that was about how he avoided the question so something has to be going on.

rumor has it, his "team" has been going back door to the cavs to see if there could be mutal intrest some day.

a better reply would be..."I'm a heat until my contract is up, and i'm not going to discuss anything but the heat until i'm no longer a member of the heat"

people need to stop watching espn...bunch of blow hards
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    also when are people going to start hating on Derrick Rose for his choking ways? Didn't LeBron own his ass in the 4th quarter of the ECF last year? I mean if LeBron not showing up to the finals is a fair point to make, then doesn't there have to be a similar but even more intense critique for Rose not even making it to finals in the classroom and in the NBA?
  • I turned off Pistons-Celtics last night midway thru the 3rd quarter. I would have rather had dental work than watch the rest of that shit fest. It was turnover after turnover, bad shot after bad shot.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    RW81233 wrote:
    also when are people going to start hating on Derrick Rose for his choking ways? Didn't LeBron own his ass in the 4th quarter of the ECF last year? I mean if LeBron not showing up to the finals is a fair point to make, then doesn't there have to be a similar but even more intense critique for Rose not even making it to finals in the classroom and in the NBA?

where did that come from :lol: People don't hate on rose, because he doesn't act like a douche bag all the time. credit to the heat for shutting him down last year. But pretty sure, the bulls have worked on attacking that...and we saw some of those adjustments in the first heat/bulls game this season. should be a good game the next time these two teams play...assuming everyone is healthy.

anyways...good article on the lebron thing

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=a ... ert_021712
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    "since the jeremy lin era began" :roll: :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    81 wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

where did that come from :lol: People don't hate on rose, because he doesn't act like a douche bag all the time. credit to the heat for shutting him down last year. But pretty sure, the bulls have worked on attacking that...and we saw some of those adjustments in the first heat/bulls game this season. should be a good game the next time these two teams play...assuming everyone is healthy.

anyways...good article on the lebron thing

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=a ... ert_021712

weren't the heat pretty big favorites in that series too?
    www.myspace.com
    I did a lot of betting on the Heat until after NBA Finals Game 2, and I'm pretty sure after the ECF Game 1 the odds were pretty close to even. Remember the Bulls destroyed them on the boards in Game 1? Then they thought that MVP could take LeBron 1 on 1 down the stretch. Just checked and the Bulls were +165 and the sexy pick at the start, and that moved to about even before Game 2 b/c the Heat weren't battle tested enough, and too small for the rugged Bulls. 6% isn't gonna cut it against anyone though ;).
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    81 wrote:
    People don't hate on rose, because he doesn't act like a douche bag all the time.

Well said
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Fenway, we're coming for Boston tonight!
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    RiotZact wrote:
    81 wrote:
    People don't hate on rose, because he doesn't act like a douche bag all the time.

Well said
    how does bron act like a douche bag all the time? like what does he specifically do that is clearly douchebaggery vs. the way the media has decided to frame him. he yells at guys who pick on the delonte mrs. james thing (wouldn't you be pissed?). couldn't donating 3 mill and trying for titles be framed differently? couldn't we be looking back at his 48 special, and 42 points against the celts only to be topped by Pierce, domination of the playoffs last year all the way until the finals be looked at as evidence of his late game strength? so he sucked in the finals, and against the celts after delonte did his thing, and he did something that no one in the media wanted him to do and now he's not "clutch", and an asshole? i'm sure he acts entitled, but at least he decided not to go to college rather than fake his way in...
    rules said you didn't need to go to college back then.....

but come on...you think he does nothing douchery....honestly, it's not worth the arguement....you have your pink lebron glasses on....to the point, where i'm guessing you would say he has never quit in a game.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    nah man lebron sucked in the finals last year and when they lost to the celts (as sucky as a trip-dub can be). all i'm saying is that the way the media has shaped him overlooks the reality of things, whereas rose gets covered with rose colored glasses ;). i actually really like rose, but just find it funny that he gets treated a lot differently than lebron. if the media wanted to they could completely make a majority of people think rose is a choker.
    sure, you could make Rose look bad....but you don't need the media to tell you that...Rose will tell you that himself. first thing he said after the miami series was it was his fault.

lebron needs to shut up and play instead of worrying about leaving cleveland or going back to cleveland. just talk about the last game after a game and the next game before a game and stop sending your posse to gilbert's office.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    sure, you could make Rose look bad....but you don't need the media to tell you that...Rose will tell you that himself. first thing he said after the miami series was it was his fault.

lebron needs to shut up and play instead of worrying about leaving cleveland or going back to cleveland. just talk about the last game after a game and the next game before a game and stop sending your posse to gilbert's office.

Rose is a class act. Lebron is not. End of story.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Lebron has a nickname of "King James" = Douchebaggery. He also tried to confiscate the tape of the Xavier kid that dunked on him at a camp. He throws that powder in the air. He made me dislike D Wade. He bitches and moans about any foul called on him or not called against him, including fouls called on his team mates. Crab dribble!

I've never heard a negative thing about Rose.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Lebron has a nickname of "King James" = Douchebaggery. He also tried to confiscate the tape of the Xavier kid that dunked on him at a camp. He throws that powder in the air. He made me dislike D Wade. He bitches and moans about any foul called on him or not called against him, including fouls called on his team mates. Crab dribble!

I've never heard a negative thing about Rose.

rose has a few negatives....to be fair...

Memphis had to give up all the wins from his single season there because somebody else took his sat
    then there was a picture of him at a party showing off gang signs
    and this last summer he was in a car where the driver was over the drinking limit.

all are bonehead moves.

but from an attitude standpoint, all he talks about his winning. he does't recruit players to come play with him, he says hey....we have a pretty good thing going here, if you want to come play with us, cool, if not, we are going to try and beat you. people like that shit.

and to be fair, you'll never convince our lebron leg humping friend that lafruad is a douche. that's just the way it is. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

but from an attitude standpoint, all he talks about his winning. he does't recruit players to come play with him, he says hey....we have a pretty good thing going here, if you want to come play with us, cool, if not, we are going to try and beat you. people like that shit.

With this whole argument about LeBron and Rose, I'd like to chime in and say that personally I think this is the best thing said so far.

I am not a LeBron fan, but I don't hate the guy either. Honestly, I could care less about him because he doesn't play for the team I cheer for. I'm kind of the same way about Rose. However as a fan, I have a higher respect for Rose (the basketball player) because of what 81 has just said. It's the attitude that I think defines a player, and LeBron has shown his true attitude enough for people to make their case about him.

The question for me is will Rose, ( and Durant for that matter) have the same, admirable attitude if they spend 7 years binding together a franchise and fighting for a title and not get one?

Rose talks about how he hasn't had to recruit and would never do so. I believe him on that, and I like his attitude. But he hasn't had to recruit because the front office in Chicago has done so. Rose is fortunate to play for a team who is willing to make good transactions.

As much as people lay into LeBron about leaving, which I will definitely agree that his approach to it was unthoughtful, I think the management of the Cavaliers have some responsibility in the turn of events. Did they ever really make a strong effort to put more players in place to solidify their team with LeBron? They signed Shaq at the ass end of his career... anyone could've told you that wasn't a "title winning" acquisition. Who else were their best... West? Mo Williams? Varejao? Jamison?

Just my two cents on the matter.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    the $64,000 question is whether rose would be like he is if he was playing in say charlotte ... where the team is losing and the arena's aren't packed every night and he isn't a big man in a big town ... the kid is playing for the bulls in chicago ... it's a lot easier to say the right things when you're in that situation ...

having said that ... if i had to bet and there was some official test ... money is on lebron being the biggest douche ..
    polaris_x wrote:
    the $64,000 question is whether rose would be like he is if he was playing in say charlotte ... where the team is losing and the arena's aren't packed every night and he isn't a big man in a big town ... the kid is playing for the bulls in chicago ... it's a lot easier to say the right things when you're in that situation ...

having said that ... if i had to bet and there was some official test ... money is on lebron being the biggest douche ..

the bobcats would trade him for a bag of balls. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg