The 2013-14 NBA season

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,499
    The 81 wrote:
    so the country hates LeBron becuase he is black....what is Favre's excuse?

he's just too white.

america desperately needs a mulatto sports superstar to bridge our racial divide.
    www.myspace.com
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    america needs a sports superstar that has some class ... like say steve nash or steve yzerman ... in other words ... a canadian ... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    The article wasn't solely about blackness, it was about how he went against "the right way" of doing things, and therefore spat in the face of the American Dream. In so doing he painted himself in a corner and will never be able to redeem himself. The race part of the equation is the fact that the American Dream trope is derived from whiteness and white power, and those that don't behave in ways that reflect "the right way" to do things are often hated black (Vick, Bron), white (Favre, Big Ben), Latino (Manny), and German (Dirk Nowitzki pre-2011 NBA Finals where every person that hated LeBron forgot how much they thought he was a "pussy" because he was a soft European player). I think that the latter is the most instructive in how we will conveniently forget why we hated someone in the past, and retrofit them into the American Dream scenario. "He worked so hard for it, now it's ok to love him". The media would have and did the same with Vick's story, about how his jailing worked, and if Big Ben led that final drive of the Super Bowl it would have been about how he came to terms with his personal demons and worked it out. Thus the crux of this argument isn't so much about race, but about how sport becomes propaganda for the American social and political system.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    hey RW, can i get a list of all your teams....and players for those sports you don't have teams....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    MLB - Milwaukee Brewers and Pedro Martinez (Yovani Gallardo is my current favorite player because he's awesome, and he said he wouldn't play the All-Star Game in Arizona because of that inane law)

0 World Series, 1 Playoff Win for the Brewers, and 1 World Series for Pedro. Had I chosen the Yankees, my "home" team, I'd have celebrated 5/6 World Series by now.

NFL - Dallas Cowboys (Danny and Randy White, Tony Dorsett, Alvin Harper, and Michael Irvin were my favorite players growing up) I really like to watch Vick, TO, Moss, Ochocinco/Johnson, Larry Fitz, Ed Reed, when they are doing ridiculous things. I HATE in order McNabb, Brady, P. Manning, E. Manning.

3 Super Bowls and 1 Playoff win in 15 years. Had I chosen the Giants like all my friends I'd have 2 Super Bowls including a most glorious victory over the Pats.

NHL - Pitt Pens (That's NHL '94s fault - and I love that Sidney Crosby annoys the shit outta people down here especially C(r)aps fans who desperately want their heroin hero Ovechkin to be the best player in the league)

I started rooting for them after the video game and Lemieux getting sick so really just 1 Stanley Cup vs. the 1 I would have had rooting for the Rangers.

NBA - As we've discussed I root for players so LeBron, Dirk, Nash, and Gary Neale b/c he still shows up at the Towson Center. Usually I root for the lead player of the 2nd best team, and hope they get over the hump. Growing up I was for Reggie Miller, and that Pacers team that got blown up by the "incident". Then my best friend i college rooted for the Spurs b/c he was a huge Timmy Duncs fan so I just chose the Mavs and Dirk to have something to talk about.

CFB - The U. It was either them, S(uck) U, or Notre Dame in my house. I hate all SU sports (see: below), and rooting for Notre Dame sucks.

5 National Titles to 1.

CBB - UConn (Derrick Coleman's fault)

3 for UConn and 1 for Suck U.

So basically by being a "fraud" I haven't really witnessed too much more success as a fan than I would have experienced by rooting for the team I am supposedly forced to by nature of my being born in a particular spot.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The 81 wrote:

he's just too white.

america desperately needs a mulatto sports superstar to bridge our racial divide.

jeter isn't doing the job for you?
    polaris_x wrote:
    america needs a sports superstar that has some class ... like say steve nash or steve yzerman ... in other words ... a canadian ... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

you mean the classy canadian types that boo the american national anthem? no thanks, I'll pass
    RW obviously doesn't believe in background checks when selecting teams/players to root for.

vick, irvin, gary neal, the U, dallas cowboys...geez man you are gangsta as hell
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    The Fixer wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

you mean the classy canadian types that boo the american national anthem? no thanks, I'll pass

it's vancouver ... they carry a lot of hate ... hahahaha
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

it's vancouver ... they carry a lot of hate ... hahahaha

yeah, you guys should force montreal to secede. you'd be much better off
    given the fact that Hitler popularized playing national anthems at sporting events during the Berlin Olympics as part of his Nazi propaganda I think that booing national anthems is something that should just be done regularly. If you think about it it really is one of the most absurd practices at sporting events. We all stand and sing this song then cheer wildly while millions of dollars in jet fuel fly overhead. What's the point of it? If it's symbolizing national and military superiority how does that jive with people's arguments that politics and sports shouldn't mix?
    RW81233 wrote:
    given the fact that Hitler popularized playing national anthems at sporting events during the Berlin Olympics as part of his Nazi propaganda I think that booing national anthems is something that should just be done regularly. If you think about it it really is one of the most absurd practices at sporting events. We all stand and sing this song then cheer wildly while millions of dollars in jet fuel fly overhead. What's the point of it? If it's symbolizing national and military superiority how does that jive with people's arguments that politics and sports shouldn't mix?

I dont think of it as a symbol of superiority. More of a patriotic thing for me.

As for the booing of anthems...I think that shows a complete lack of respect. I would never boo the canadian anthem

Interesting take though...you definitely have some unique stances
    The Fixer wrote:
    RW obviously doesn't believe in background checks when selecting teams/players to root for.

vick, irvin, gary neal, the U, dallas cowboys...geez man you are gangsta as hell
    I didn't know anything about Gary Neal's past, but it's just more that he comes back to Towson and works out with the players in the offseason. Vick I liked before he got in trouble, and I still like watching him play. The U haven't done anything wrong in like 5 years, outside of Dez same with the Cowboys. You are right though I tend to gravitate toward controversial players/teams b/c it makes for fun conversation and thinking. Plus more people get pissed when those teams/players win than if some "classy" team gets it done.

Oh and most definitely Agassi, then Rafa.
    RW81233 wrote:

i don't know...baseball started doing the star spangled banner in the 1918 world series. it didn't become the national anthem until 1931. been sung before games ever since. i don't think hitler had much to do with this practice at all really.
    www.myspace.com
    LeBron James is the Michael Jordan of blowing it in the finals.

:lol:
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

I dont think of it as a symbol of superiority. More of a patriotic thing for me.

As for the booing of anthems...I think that shows a complete lack of respect. I would never boo the canadian anthem

yeah you are right booing someone else's national anthem takes no critical reflection. booing your own because you didn't like what was going on in your country would be pretty bad ass - if it was warranted.
    RW81233 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I didn't know anything about Gary Neal's past, but it's just more that he comes back to Towson and works out with the players in the offseason. Vick I liked before he got in trouble, and I still like watching him play. The U haven't done anything wrong in like 5 years, outside of Dez same with the Cowboys. You are right though I tend to gravitate toward controversial players/teams b/c it makes for fun conversation and thinking. Plus more people get pissed when those teams/players win than if some "classy" team gets it done.

Oh and most definitely Agassi, then Rafa.

Gary Neal started at lasalle. got kicked out of school for raping a chick.

Re: the U...you're not too familiar with Robert Marve are you? He's the dude that was eventually kicked off the team. He's now at purdue.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/con ... _0824.html
    RW81233 wrote:

i don't know...baseball started doing the star spangled banner in the 1918 world series. it didn't become the national anthem until 1931. been sung before games ever since. i don't think hitler had much to do with this practice at all really.
    You are correct baseball did it for special events WS/Opening Day, but certainly not every day. Hitler used it very specifically as part of his plan to market Nazi Germany. This was the first time they played it during every event, and his hope was that Aryan Germans would win enough medals that the Anthem would ring out monotonously. Since then the National Anthem is now 2nd nature.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    The Fixer wrote:
    The 81 wrote:

he's just too white.

jeter isn't doing the job for you?
    Fixer beat me to it. I was going to say Jeter.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    allegedly for neal, but getting kicked out prolly doesn't bode well for his innocence. I knew about Marve, but they booted him whereas in the past the U would have let it go.
    polaris_x wrote:
    Jeter has the most class out of any athlete in all of American sports.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    RW81233 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

yeah you are right booing someone else's national anthem takes no critical reflection. booing your own because you didn't like what was going on in your country would be pretty bad ass - if it was warranted.

I think booing the national anthem should be penalized with a deportation to cuba. we live in a democracy...if you don't like certain things, you have the freedom to engage in groups to do something about it.

I despise rage against the machine for that d-bag zack de la rocha and his asinine political views. not to mention openly burning the american flag. if you hate the country so much, then don't fucking live here.

what thread is this again?
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    RW81233 wrote:

I think the anthem at games is cool. Doesn't really bother me if Hitler thought of it.I don't see how it could be construed as a superiority thing. We don't play our anthem and fly our jets over foreign sporting events.

Most of the fly overs are done as part of drills. It helps the pilots with timing.
    Fixer you're right this is a playoffs thread, but isn't booing a the national anthem practicing democracy? Also burning the flag, whether you like it or not, is a proper way to dispose of the flag. Putting the flag on sporting uniforms, displaying it horizontally across the entire outfield, or covering a basketball court is actually more of a disgrace to the flag if you follow the flag code.
    polaris_x wrote:
    phil? ... jerry sloan? ...

it is pretty clear rick carlisle outcoached erik spoelstra by a landslide ...
    Spoelstra was still in the video room during the Finals.

Rick Carlisle did a phenomenal job in the playoffs, especially the Finals after he made that change in the starting line up to have Barea start. I know I'm saying this because I'm a Dallas fan, but I really think Carlisle is one of, if not, the best coach in the league right now, especially with Phil Jackson and Jerry Sloan gone.
    RW81233 wrote:
    Fixer you're right this is a playoffs thread, but isn't booing a the national anthem practicing democracy? Also burning the flag, whether you like it or not, is a proper way to dispose of the flag. Putting the flag on sporting uniforms, displaying it horizontally across the entire outfield, or covering a basketball court is actually more of a disgrace to the flag if you follow the flag code.

To your question...probably. Not something I would ever agree with though. No matter how fucked up things ever got in the this country or how much I disliked the president. There are more productive and less offensive ways to get your point across than by booing the anthem of the country you live in.

I thought burning the flag was a criminal offense? I'm not going to pretend to be an expert in flag code. I don't know much about that stuff.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,843
    Dirk-Liv-6.jpg
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276