The 2013-14 NBA season

Comments

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    polaris_x wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Thomas has been pretty good as of late, right? I know that he's been stealing Fredette's minutes.

For now, I am glad the Jazz didn't draft Jimmer. But I might eat my own words in a few years.

gordon hayward is looking great for you guys tho ...

His performance this season, especially post all-star break, has convinced me that he has a bright future. He shows the ability to do multiple things, and he's become a better player since he started playing with some attitude.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Saints owner Tom Benson buying NBA's New Orleans @Hornets for $338 million.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    from teh miami herald

The Heat is 13-10 since the All-Star break

even my grammer isn't that bad :fp: :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    btw, things in sac-town are getting ugly...i think we might be seeing the Anaheim royals next season
    norm wrote:
    btw, things in sac-town are getting ugly...i think we might be seeing the Anaheim royals next season

i thought they had a deal done?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    norm wrote:

i thought they had a deal done?

fell through kinda...it's very confusing...i'm reading this from tweets but i guess kj sent an open letter to the maloofs and the maloofs in turn just held an impromptu press conference...as soon as someone puts together an article i'll post it
    some info on the bee

:roll:

maloofs are now suggesting a stadium renovation :fp:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Remember this scene on February 28th?

The Maloofs and mayor Kevin Johnson had just returned from Orlando, Florida with a newly agreed upon arena deal hammered out. At All-Star Weekend, David Stern and the NBA sat in a room with the owners of the Kings and the Mayor of Sacramento and came to an agreement. The deal allowed the Kings to stay in Sacramento after a year of serious doubt that compromise could ever be in place.

This scene is the opposite of what you saw from Warriors fans during Chris Mullin’s jersey ceremony in which the fans showed their displeasure with the direction of the team and the failed promise of playoffs. This was a city congratulating the owners of their favorite franchise on finally doing what’s right in this situation and keeping the direction of the franchise firmly planted in Sacramento. This was a fan base rejoicing that they wouldn’t be treated like Seattle. They would get to keep the team they love with their own public funds.

They were happy to pay their fair share.

Joe and Gavin Maloof stand at halfcourt, basking in the warm wave of cheers, applause and elation that gently ran from the highest of upper deck seats, down to the floor in which many basketball battles have been fought. Watch the video. Watch them enjoy the moment. Look at them soak up the praise that should have been going to Kevin Johnson, AEG, and David Stern more than it should have reached a family of seemingly incompetent businessmen who tried to weasel their way out of a town that was desperate to keep their business.

“At the end of the day, it’s all about this,” Gavin Maloof exclaimed as he ran his hand under the “Sacramento” on his shirt. “Thank you for all you do. Thank you for the love you’ve shown our family. We still love you, we’ve always loved you, and we always will love you. Thank you!”

Those were the words from a man whose family tried to move the team to Anaheim without many of the team’s employees knowing if they’d have jobs in the next couple of months. Fast forward a month from this celebration of Kings basketball staying in Sacramento, and those awkward words from the Maloof family now look like the same pathetic lies everyone assumes have been spewed during much of the arena process.

This week, the NBA Board of Governors meeting is being held and part of that meeting will be the Maloofs trying to convince the board that the deal they agreed to at All-Star Weekend has major concerns and potential delays that could derail the 2015-16 expected debut of a new downtown arena in Sacramento. And if that happens, they’d like the team to be allowed to move to Anaheim, the place that tried to capitalize on a disorganized and failed money grab of the Kings’ owners less than a year ago.

Here’s the problem with these claimed delays and issues potentially blocking the needed opening of the new arena in Sacramento: it appears that the Maloofs are the ones trying to cause such delays.

Aaron Bruski from Pro Basketball Talk breaks down the current break down in the Maloofs operating on good faith:

The Maloofs’ attorney, Scott Zolke, followed Rose’s statements by issuing a letter to Sacramento assistant city manager John Dangberg, providing specific legal notice to the city about issues the family had with anything and everything. In fact, if you wanted to derail an arena project you would want to start a checklist using the items on that list. From the timing of environmental reviews to the ability of arena opposition groups to delay the process or stop it in its tracks – items that could have been discussed behind closed doors were now floating around in an increasingly hostile public domain.

The city responded to this first initial red flag, explaining to the lawyer that he had compiled information for his complaint from six-month old estimates from the city manager’s office that had since been publicly updated. The 88-page letter went on to address the numerous issues raised by the Maloofs, but made one key point: “It is critical that all parties are pulling in the same direction.”

If it wasn’t clear after Rose’s newspaper run, it became abundantly clear where the Maloofs stood following their April 2 response to the 88-page letter, when they admonished the city for not responding to its concerns over an arena opposition group.

During the lockout, there was an issue of both parties not operating in “good faith.” The owners seemed to fire at the Players’ Union that they weren’t willing to deal in good faith and it was causing the negotiation process to never get off the ground. The Union felt it was the NBA who was in fact not operating in good faith. It was basically a he said, he said kind of circular argument that got nowhere.

If you wanted an example of not operating in good faith then look no further than what the Maloofs are doing here. I get the motivation. Sacramento is a very small market, especially when lined up side-by-side with the city of Anaheim. The television contract alone would help the Maloofs recover the assumed loss of wealth from their alleged failed business ventures over the past few years.

When you’re bad at business, you need to find a way to get good at it and improving the market in which your business is based is a good way to start. The problem is they’re trying to move into a market that doesn’t really need a third team. Most major markets don’t even have two teams, let alone a third.

The Maloofs are saturated in bad faith dealings right now because just a month and a half ago, they emerged from the negotiations with the NBA and Kevin Johnson saying that this was a “fair deal.” Now, they appear to be looking to get any little loophole they can find to weasel out of a handshake deal that gave the Maloofs a chance to repair what their word means to the public and the consumer.

Kevin Johnson has always been good at what he does. He was an excellent NBA player who climbed mountaintops on the hardwood floor to provide legendary highlights and probably would have made the Basketball Hall of Fame if injuries didn’t derail his career. He’s also been a very good mayor in Sacramento, succeeding in areas that most figured he never could – like building a downtown arena.

To beat Kevin Johnson at something, you have to be at the top of your game. That’s how it’s been his entire life. He’s just often better than the people he faces off against. The Maloofs are not at the top of their game, especially when it comes to the dealings with this team. They helped build a franchise up and then through horrendous decisions and a lack of savvy in their field, they let it crumble down.

Mayor Johnson is not taking to the poor business and unethical tactics the Maloofs are employing right now. He’s fired back to their concerns and scheming as they try to plead with the Board of Governors to ignore the facts and just give them what they want with a letter to the family, explaining the city’s position. You can read the entire letter at Sactown Royalty, but here is a long excerpt that is essential to understanding what is going on right now:

Third, and most critically, under no circumstances will the City make material adjustments to the current terms of the deal. Put simply, we have done our part.

We are 100% committed to moving forward under the framework laid out in the term sheet.

And there should be no expectation in tomorrow’s conversation that this deal is subject to further negotiation.

In light of these facts, the ball is in your court.

Our community stands ready to support the Kings and do our part to bring a state-of-the-art entertainment and sports complex to our downtown.

We look forward to the thousands of jobs, millions in new visitors, and billions in new revenues such a facility promises for our community.

We take you at your word that you are committed to Sacramento as you've said repeatedly in recent weeks.

The best - and only - way to demonstrate that commitment is to honor the "fair deal" as all other parties have done. Your handshake is your handshake. Your promise is your promise.

Given all that the people of Sacramento have endured and achieved on your behalf, we deserve nothing less than a partner who will work with the city in good faith and as a true partner.

It’s now seemingly up to David Stern to keep firm on his work from All-Star Weekend. That weekend they came to an agreement that was suitable for every side involved. Now the Maloofs are claiming it’s not good enough and essentially that what Stern has done for them isn’t acceptable moving forward. I would like nothing more than for Stern to either convince the Maloofs that this deal is going to move forward as agreed upon or figure out how to get an ownership group that knows how to run a business, especially in good faith, to purchase the franchise.

The Maloofs’ proclaimed “fair deal” is now in question for no reason at all. Once again, their word appears to have no value in any form and their handshake is nothing more than the cold, clammy embrace of lying and bad faith. Mayor Johnson is going to meet with the Maloofs and the NBA once again, to figure out how to make this situation work.

It’s time for David Stern to put his foot down and show that a handshake is actually worth some good faith. After all, it’s all about Sacramento at the end of the day. The Maloofs said so themselves.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_ ... hake-worth
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,918
    dcfaithful wrote:

Utah's website says Millsap's current status is "day-to-day". Whether he plays tonight or not, I'm not sure.

local newspaper is equally non-committal :?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    imalive wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

Utah's website says Millsap's current status is "day-to-day". Whether he plays tonight or not, I'm not sure.

local newspaper is equally non-committal :?

rotoword lists him as doubtful ... :(
    81 wrote:
    from teh miami herald

The Heat is 13-10 since the All-Star break

even my grammer isn't that bad :fp: :lol:

Grammar, don't know... spelling.... "teh" for "the"... I am concerned. :P :lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    the maloofs are turd rich kids :evil:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    NBA Commissioner David Stern said Friday a new arena in Sacramento is "not going to happen," amid major concerns from the Sacramento Kings' owners about the financing and political obstacles confronting the project before their desire to have the facility open before the 2015 season.

A basketball official close to the situation but unauthorized to speak publicly said afterward the Kings' owners' "focus is still on Anaheim," and a future relocation to the Honda Center perhaps as soon as the 2013-14 season.

Friday's development is significant to Anaheim's cause because Stern has previously strongly pushed to keep the owners in Sacramento.

Yet, the Honda Center is currently in the process of multimillion-dollar upgrades to increase its standing as an NBA-ready facility after Kings owners last year expressed interest in the move south.

At a news conference at the NBA Board of Governors meeting in New York, Stern made no promise about the Kings remaining in Sacramento beyond the 2012-13 season.

"It just wouldn't pay for me to talk about anything beyond that," Stern said before thanking Sacramento fans, business leaders, Mayor Kevin Johnson and season-ticket holders.

Kings owners George, Joe and Gavin Maloof on Thursday made a presentation to the NBA's relocation committee alerting committee members to the array of concerns that the owners first stated publicly in a Times story about who will cover pre-development costs, how political opposition to the public spending ($260 million) of a new arena would be met, and the consequences of missed construction deadlines.

In a PowerPoint presentation as part of a news conference earlier Friday, the Maloof brothers noted the city "refuses to publicly disclose material facts" about the arena's planned progress. It included a note from an NBA executive telling the Maloofs, "Several of the points you make are agreeable to the city, but they say they cannot put the provisions you want into the document at this time for political reasons."

A spokesman for the Maloofs has previously said arena builder AEG similarly had left the owners exposed to taking on expenses they were uncomfortable accepting.

"The mayor has accused me of backtracking, there's no evidence of us backtracking," George Maloof said Friday. "We were operating under assumptions.... We were working to get a deal done, not to kill the deal. How do we negotiate when we don't hear back from the city?"

This followed a nonbinding agreement in principle the sides struck in February to pursue arena construction. Stern said the celebration then "was justified ... but there was always more to be done."

"It was always nonbinding, and it's fair to say the Maloofs don't want to do it," Stern said Friday. "If they had [said that] sooner, earlier, it could have saved some angst."

Stern praised Mayor Johnson for exercising "extraordinary dedication" to the cause after the league asked the Maloofs to hold off a year before moving to Anaheim so Sacramento could explore an effort to keep the team.

Johnson and the Maloofs were scheduled to meet in New York later Friday.

In Anaheim, arena operator and Ducks owner Henry Samueli has previously agreed to loan the Maloofs up to $50 million for the move south, and a Southern California television deal -- Fox Sports West will have an opening with the Lakers moving to Time-Warner Cable -- will be far richer than Sacramento's.

"I'm protective of the Kings' rights to do what they can" Stern said. "[The deal] made the owners of the Kings incredibly uncomfortable ... it came with a cost that further burdened the team, and this was not a transaction they wanted to go forward with. That's their right."

Stern said he was "hopeful but not optimistic" about the Maloofs-Johnson meeting.

"I saw the mayor [Friday] and wished him well," Stern said.

And maybe goodbye?

Stern said any future request by the Maloofs regarding a move from Sacramento would be left to the NBA's relocation committee.
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow ... vrit=53285
    That's two losses to the Hornets IN New Orleans for the Jazz.

God damnit!
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:
    That's two losses to the Hornets IN New Orleans for the Jazz.

God damnit!

it says something about this team. What, I'm not sure, but something ;)

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    norm wrote:
    :lol::lol::lol:
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    New detroit annoucer is an improvement....still bad
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    edited April 2012
    If I had to choose 1 game to watch from Utah's season so far, it would've been that one. Jazz have played a 4OT, a 3OT, a 2OT and 3 regular OT.

Jazz still in the playoff push...
    Post edited by dcfaithful on
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    norm wrote:

It's true, music isn't allowed in Utah. :lol:

I agree with the writer though. I don't think the team (the Miller family) would give up the "Jazz" team name. It's simply way too synonymous with Utah basketball, not to mention the money pointed out in the article.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • CallawayCallaway Posts: 635
    I'm sure Kobe will get in a rape or two before the playoffs and then be primed and ready to go!
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Or the playoff collapse is upon us!! Sixers :(
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    polaris_x wrote:
    81 wrote:
    you have to make the playoffs to have a shot at coach of the year. :lol:

:lol: ... yeah ... like i said - you have to follow them to know how good of a job he's done ...

raptors beat C's and Hawks back to back with no Bargnani, Calderon or Bayless ... starting 2 D-leaguers ... :shock: ... just fucking brutal draftwise but a clear indication of Casey's coaching ability ...
    paul silas should be coach of the year. he's managed to win more than zero games with zero talent
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    dcfaithful wrote:
    If I had to chose 1 game from Utah's season so far, it would've been that one. Jazz have played a 4OT, a 3OT, a 2OT and 3 regular OT.

:thumbdown:
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    polaris_x wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    81 wrote:
    you have to make the playoffs to have a shot at coach of the year. :lol:

:lol: ... yeah ... like i said - you have to follow them to know how good of a job he's done ...

raptors beat C's and Hawks back to back with no Bargnani, Calderon or Bayless ... starting 2 D-leaguers ... :shock: ... just fucking brutal draftwise but a clear indication of Casey's coaching ability ...

That definitely deserves some recognition, and of course, this is the first I'm hearing about it.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    Newch91 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    If I had to chose 1 game from Utah's season so far, it would've been that one. Jazz have played a 4OT, a 3OT, a 2OT and 3 regular OT.

:D

Fuck Delonte West, by the way.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

:D

Fuck Delonte West, by the way.
    I didn't see it, but heard about it on Yahoo.

Jet gets fouled taking a 3 and they don't call it. :twisted: :twisted:
    Newch91 wrote:

In exchange for Dirk getting every call possible. :roll:

Jet fouled Harris on a 3 and didn't get called, so we're even steven.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

In exchange for Dirk getting every call possible. :roll:

Jet fouled Harris on a 3 and didn't get called, so we're even steven.
    The disadvantages I have living here: can't watch all the games.