Options

Great Sports nicknames

Comments

• Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    sweaty freddy garcia
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Anybody say "The Mayor" Fred Hoiberg yet? I always thought that one was outstanding.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    Anybody say "The Mayor" Fred Hoiberg yet? I always thought that one was outstanding.

nice work... always loved the maya ;)

has anyone said The Green Monster? Pesky's Pole? Heartbreak Hill?
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    the house that ruth built
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    DewieCox wrote:
    i really don't get why people hate him so much ... i really don't ... because he acts quirky?

he has his schtick and he does it... but at least it's his

i find him amusing

do you really hate him or do you enjoy hating him?

It was prolly seeing that vid of him throwing that huge condescending tantrum that pushed me towards disliking him, but at some point I just started gettin annoyed by him.

hmmmm... good point

but i'm sure many TV people are pricks in real life ;)
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    Ole,
    Ole Ole Ole,
    Ole,
    Ole...

That well known song/chant was first used by Manchester United fans for their player, Ole Gunnar Solskjær. I looked him up on Wikipedia only to find that he actually had a nick-name (and an amazing career to go with it):

the baby-faced-assassin

"Ole Gunnar Solskjær (born 26 February 1973 in Kristiansund, Møre og Romsdal) is a Norwegian football manager and former footballer who spent most of his career playing for Manchester United. In January 2011, he became the manager of his former club Molde. Often dubbed "the baby-faced assassin", he played 366 times for the Red Devils and scored 126 goals during a very successful period for the club. He was recognised as a "super sub" for his knack of coming off the bench to score late goals. Solskjær's defining moment in football came in injury time of the 1999 UEFA Champions League Final where he scored the winning last-minute goal against Bayern Munich, completing a remarkable comeback and winning The Treble for United."
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    Greg Maddux - "Mad Dog", "The Professor"
    Fred McGriff - "Crime Dog" (speaking of Chris Berman, this may have been his best lol)
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    How about Night Train Lane
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    edvedderrocksedvedderrocks Posts: 1,001
    my 5 year old daughter/t-ball extroidinare..."The Chucker"
    "I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me. Guaranteed."

1996 Merriweather, MD; 1998 Camden, NJ; 2000 Camden, NJ; 2003 Camden, NJ; 2005 Philly, PA; 2006 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2); 2006 Arnhem, NED; 2008 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2), Washington DC, MSG(night 2) 2009 Philly Spectrum Shows(nights 1,2,3,4) 2010 Hartford,CT and MSG(night 2)

ED Solo - 2008 Washington DC, 2009 Philly, PA(nights 1&2)*Met Eddie =)
  • Options
    spencer958spencer958 Louisville, KY Posts: 279
    Dr. Dunkenstein

Darrell Griffith
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    ^^^^^Nice call above of DG the OTHER DR.Robert Parish....*THE CHIEF*

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0PDoX3rkbRNr ... _large.jpg

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    O E O, Magglio (Ordonez)
    Jose, Jose Jose Jose (Valentine)

Hot Sauce Kyle Korver
    Big Sexy Kurt Thomas
  • Options
    Davidtrios wrote:
    O E O, Magglio (Ordonez)
    Jose, Jose Jose Jose (Valentine)

Hot Sauce Kyle Korver
    Big Sexy Kurt Thomas

hot sauce is hitting a three ;) king gave deng some hot sauce last night. pip tried to give kyle some hot sauce on a two point shot and king was all over pip for that. :lol: it's a shame the national guys are taking all the rest of the games. no more local broadcasts until next season
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    that is a shame...i love king, but funk is losing it i think- called mcroberts hansboro and vice versa several times this series...

what will be a bigger shame is when king moves on to espn or tnt...pip is decent but there is no comparison
  • Options
    Davidtrios wrote:
    that is a shame...i love king, but funk is losing it i think- called mcroberts hansboro and vice versa several times this series...

what will be a bigger shame is when king moves on to espn or tnt...pip is decent but there is no comparison

pip is still new. he's more serious than king. i'd like to hear pip do an entire game as the only color guy once.

i didn't notice the mc hans switch, but did notice him calling brewer deng and saying so and so checked in for somebody, than that somebody was still on the floor. getting names wrong drives me nuts. local guys should never screw up the local players.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka
  • Options
    has anyone said this yet:

Daron Oshay "Mookie" Blaylock
  • Options
    Davidtrios wrote:
    has anyone said this yet:

Daron Oshay "Mookie" Blaylock

:lol: you'd think that would have been one of the first one's mentioned.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,919
    Donald " The Birther" Trump
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat wrote:

baseball player?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,919
    81 wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

baseball player?
    hahaha. I thought politics and junk bonds were sports . was I wrong?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat wrote:
    81 wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

baseball player?
    hahaha. I thought politics and junk bonds were sports . was I wrong?

hmmm...game maybe, sport no :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    lenny "nails" dykstra
    tom "the franchise" seaver
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    the Bench Mob
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    I'm sure it's already been said in this thread, but "Killer" Doug Gilmour is my favourite.
  • Options
    I'm sure it's already been said in this thread, but "Killer" Doug Gilmour is my favourite.

page 1

:lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:

page 1

:lol:
    I only read the first two thirds of the page before deciding to reply. Serves me right for being too lazy to read the other three posts.
  • Options
    forum rule #1

read all posts before replying. :fp: :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    I usually do! I swear.
  • Options
    Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka