Japan

Comments

• haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    chime wrote:
    manutd3581 wrote:
    Dont mean to come off as greedy, just seems like this country is always putting aside its problems for others, and for what? Every other country hates us, and when we will need help, who's gonna give it? We would deserve it considering what we've done for other countries, but they'll look at us and say "They're the super power of today, let them handle it."

I think you underestimate the rest of the world. Hundreds of millions of dollars of international aid was offered to the US following Hurricane Katrina and most of it was turned down ... and some of the aid accepted was just left to go to waste.

Here is a list of countries and organisations (including the European Union) that pledged aid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internatio ... ne_Katrina

I hope that Japan gets as much aid as they need.
    I also remember the many, many kindnesses and gestures of support from other countries after 9/11. It was very moving and I was sad that we later responded with such arrogance and alienated people around the world.
    very true
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,053
    manutd3581 wrote:
    Yea, its terrible, but if the US spends 1 fucking dime on them, omfg. Im young, and I dont follow/understand politics much, but Im old enough to know how broke we are, and we got our own damn problems. If the radiation shit affects Hawaii, then deal with Hawaii, not Japan

oh man, you've just got to be kidding???

Its money? just money....

people here have lost everything....everything and everything they ever had in the world including those closest to them.....

Do you have any idea how much the USA's aid budget is per year?

I know ours in the Uk seems a lot but in relation to the GDP its pitiful, and changes lives around the world. We get the same kind of comments here....'biggest budget deficit in history and we're sending money to africa'...... but they have no idea how minimal it is in the grand scheme of things and the impact that money has.

Have a think about it next time.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,848
    When a close ally experiences a natural disaster, you help.
    When a country you are at odds with experiences a natural disaster, you help.
    We are talking about human lives. This is a tragedy of epic proportions that no single country could ever manage on its own. Even one of the richest countries. Its not about money. Its about resources and trying to save lives.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    haffajappa wrote:
    manutd3581 wrote:
    Dont mean to come off as greedy, just seems like this country is always putting aside its problems for others, and for what? Every other country hates us, and when we will need help, who's gonna give it? We would deserve it considering what we've done for other countries, but they'll look at us and say "They're the super power of today, let them handle it."

We can't find my uncle.
    One of my mom's oldest friends is in Sendai and we can't get a hold of her.
    They have projected the death toll may be over 10,000 people.
    My father's hometown is 80% underwater.
    One of my closest friends I've met through Pearl Jam is sitting through aftershocks measuring above 5.0 and worry that his friends, colleagues, and the rest of the country are okay.

You seem very young, but probably not much younger than me.
    We both probably have a lot to learn, but for you I think compassion should be on the top of your list.

I will pray for your loved ones Haffa.

And there is no greater thing one can do in life than help another in need.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Our country is broke because it is run by morons. Doesn't mean we can't do what we can to help people. Gotta make up for the stupidity somehow.

:thumbup:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    chime wrote:
    manutd3581 wrote:

I think you underestimate the rest of the world. Hundreds of millions of dollars of international aid was offered to the US following Hurricane Katrina and most of it was turned down ... and some of the aid accepted was just left to go to waste.

Here is a list of countries and organisations (including the European Union) that pledged aid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internatio ... ne_Katrina

I hope that Japan gets as much aid as they need.

I did not know this. Thank you for sharing. It's insane to me that we turned down that help. Too much pride? Maybe.

In any case, when something like this happens money is nothing... as human beings we should all be joining hands to help save as many lives as we can. At times like this, politics, biases, and personal judgment are irrelevant and should be shown the window in which they can jump from.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    That's unbelievable. :cry:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Just seeing whole neighborhoods decimated, and to think how many people could have been in those homes? It's incomprehensible, all that devastation. No matter how many photos or footage I see, it is still hard to wrap one's head around it.
    unbelievable
    Thank god this tsunami didnt hit a densely populated city.
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Just seeing whole neighborhoods decimated, and to think how many people could have been in those homes? It's incomprehensible, all that devastation. No matter how many photos or footage I see, it is still hard to wrap one's head around it.

It really is B, especially with little to no warning. Those poor people, hopefully the didn't even see it coming.

I'd rather that than staring into the face of death with no where to go.
    dcfaithful wrote:
    No kidding... it's just unreal to see the topical damage. When you put into perspective the damage done to all the lives, and even the amount of lives taken is when the severity of this thing begins to sink it's deepest. :(

I hope and pray that Japan receives all the help they need from other countries.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    It really is B, especially with little to no warning. Those poor people, hopefully the didn't even see it coming.

I'd rather that than staring into the face of death with no where to go.
    Same here, best to go out quick....though those last seconds of their lives must have been terrifying.

And for people who managed to survive but are buried under all that rubble, people trying to find their loved ones..just the level of anguish that whole island is experiencing, jesus. The ripple effect of that extends so far and deep.

Living in earthquake country, I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. The plates are shifting so much, it's just a matter of time.
    dcfaithful wrote:
    No kidding... it's just unreal to see the topical damage. When you put into perspective the damage done to all the lives, and even the amount of lives taken is when the severity of this thing begins to sink it's deepest. :(

I hope and pray that Japan receives all the help they need from other countries.
    Exactly, it goes beyond the physical damage. I mean god how long will it take to clean all that up? And the scars this is leaving on people's psyches and hearts there...blows my mind :(
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091

Living in earthquake country, I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. The plates are shifting so much, it's just a matter of time.

I know!!!!!!!!!!

And like you said---it is hard to wrap your heard around the immense tragedy and devastation. With all the havoc that nature can create we are still dealing with freaking *&#(*&%ZD#@)man-made bulllshit going on!!!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    I know, I saw some footage of a woman with a little girl, she couldn't have been more than 8 years old, the child looked in complete shock, then the woman held the child to her shielding her. But those images will never go away for that little girl. Breaks your heart.
    Lizard wrote:

I know!!!!!!!!!!
    It's pretty safe to say as a state, we are screwed. WAY screwed. I don't think we're as prepared as the Japanese were...and even with all the preparation, you see all the devastation they experienced.

The Hayward fault has been due for a big one for a long time....I live and work right along it, so it freaks me out. Seeing all these photos and footage doesn't help the anxiety any, but I guess all one can do is be prepared as you can.

This is a good opportunity for those who live in earthquake-prone areas to get an emergency kit together! And if you have critters, to be sure to have extra food and meds for them.
    Lizard wrote:

I know!!!!!!!!!!
    It's pretty safe to say as a state, we are screwed. WAY screwed. I don't think we're as prepared as the Japanese were...and even with all the preparation, you see all the devastation they experienced.

The Hayward fault has been due for a big one for a long time....I live and work right along it, so it freaks me out. Seeing all these photos and footage doesn't help the anxiety any, but I guess all one can do is be prepared as you can.

This is a good opportunity for those who live in earthquake-prone areas to get an emergency kit together! And if you have critters, to be sure to have extra food and meds for them.

I live in Salt Lake City, which lies on a huge fault in the western United States, the Wasatch Fault:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasatch_fault

It's pretty frightening, considering that we as well are very over due for another quake...

This paragraph is really what gives me chills...

The urban areas of Salt Lake City, Ogden, and Provo, known collectively as the Wasatch Front, lie on soft lake sediments, a remnant of Lake Bonneville. During strong earthquakes, this sediment will cause Earthquake liquefaction, which acts as quicksand. An earthquake on the Wasatch Fault could severely damage gas, electric, water, communication, and transportation lifelines, crippling the 2,000,000 strong Wasatch Front urban area.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:
    I live in Salt Lake City, which lies on a huge fault in the western United States, the Wasatch Fault:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasatch_fault

It's pretty frightening, considering that we as well are very over due for another quake...

This paragraph is really what gives me chills...

The urban areas of Salt Lake City, Ogden, and Provo, known collectively as the Wasatch Front, lie on soft lake sediments, a remnant of Lake Bonneville. During strong earthquakes, this sediment will cause Earthquake liquefaction, which acts as quicksand. An earthquake on the Wasatch Fault could severely damage gas, electric, water, communication, and transportation lifelines, crippling the 2,000,000 strong Wasatch Front urban area.

Aw man, that is scary! :( The quicksand thing in particular.

Here is some info from the Red Cross, everyone in earthquake country should check it out: http://www.redcross.org/portal/site/en/ ... mt=default

The Hayward fault is more populated than the one that was affected in the Loma Prieta quake back in '89, so when it does hit, it'll cause a lot more damage and casualties :(

*sigh* just goes to show, as much as we try to exert control over our lives and situations, in the end the earth owns us, lock stock and barrel.
    *sigh* just goes to show, as much as we try to exert control over our lives and situations, in the end the earth owns us, lock stock and barrel.
    It should be obvious to all of us now, that there is no defying the incredible force of nature and the planet that we live on. Nothing will stop things like this from happening, and to be honest, we should expect every and all natural disasters to happen eventually in order for us to at least be in some state of preparedness.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:
    It should be obvious to all of us now, that there is no defying the incredible force of nature and the planet that we live on. Nothing will stop things like this from happening, and to be honest, we should expect every and all natural disasters to happen eventually in order for us to at least be in some state of preparedness.
    Absolutely. I think people get lulled into a false sense of security, so if any good can come out of this, is that people get reminded that they NEED to have a plan set for *when* it happens, because it's not a matter of 'if'.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    GOOD NEWS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbegrtbMULc

Incredibly, he was spotted by a maritime self-defence force destroyer taking part in the rescue effort as he clung to the wreckage with one hand and waved a self-made red flag with the other. He had been at sea for two days.

Reports said that on being handed a drink aboard the rescue boat, Shinkawa gulped it down and immediately burst into tears. His wife, with whom he had returned home as the tsunami approached, is still missing.

He was quoted as saying: “No helicopters or boats that came nearby noticed me. I thought that day was going to be the last day of my life.”

Officials said Shinkawa was in good condition after being taken to hospital by helicopter.

I hope that they will look a little harder in the waters off the coast of Japan...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    GOOD NEWS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbegrtbMULc

Incredibly, he was spotted by a maritime self-defence force destroyer taking part in the rescue effort as he clung to the wreckage with one hand and waved a self-made red flag with the other. He had been at sea for two days.

Reports said that on being handed a drink aboard the rescue boat, Shinkawa gulped it down and immediately burst into tears. His wife, with whom he had returned home as the tsunami approached, is still missing.

He was quoted as saying: “No helicopters or boats that came nearby noticed me. I thought that day was going to be the last day of my life.”

Officials said Shinkawa was in good condition after being taken to hospital by helicopter.I hope that they will look a little harder in the waters off the coast of Japan...

a tribute to the Japanese spirit
    hopefully one of many more miracles to be reported
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    this morning i hung my japan flag on the window of our house...
    all those poor souls :cry:
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    edited March 2011
    manutd3581 wrote:
    Yea, its terrible, but if the US spends 1 fucking dime on them, omfg. Im young, and I dont follow/understand politics much, but Im old enough to know how broke we are, and we got our own damn problems. If the radiation shit affects Hawaii, then deal with Hawaii, not Japan

Lord help us!
    Post edited by JOEJOEJOE on
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    haffajappa wrote:
    this morning i hung my japan flag on the window of our house...
    all those poor souls :cry:

My wife is Japanese, so these events have new meaning to me.
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    Those poor people. They must be so scared, what is happening to our world????? I know awful things happen all around the world everyday but the amount of people dying from the massive natural disasters is just phenomenal!!! So very tragic.
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
    This is amazing! A 4-month old surviving, and her parents are alive too!! Awesome they found the 70 year old lady as well, hope there are more stories like this.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20110315/w ... worldyahoo
    I follow this graphic designer on FB/twitter, and he created this beautiful tribute to Japan:

Japan-Tribute-Large.jpg

You can read about it here:
    http://justcreativedesign.com/2011/03/11/japan-tribute/