Options

8.9 Earthquake Hits Japan....

Comments

• Options
    he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    Good vibes to all those effected by this earthquake/tsunami; I couldnt imagine. These images and videos on the news are jaw dropping. Much respect to the all-might mother nature.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    the thing that struck me this morning while watching this was from lucy jones at caltech:

Jones said the earthquake must have been caused on a very long fault – at least 300 or 400 miles long.

that just blows my mind...also that the force of the quake was equal to 350 megatons of explosives
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Damm the destruction is massive prayers for everyone affected . damm i hope Getright family is ok he is married to a Japanese woman and he travels to japan often ....
    He hey Jose, thanks for thoughts and the call this morning.
    Everyone one is just fine and taking a very deep breath that this tsunami did not hit Tokyo.
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    Damm the destruction is massive prayers for everyone affected . damm i hope Getright family is ok he is married to a Japanese woman and he travels to japan often ....
    Everyone one is just fine and taking a very deep breath that this tsunami did not hit Tokyo.

good to hear
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,310
    Get_Right wrote:

Ok yeah no biggie i immediatly thought of you glad to hear good news coming from your end ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    jimed14 wrote:
    The US West Coast is bracing for a Tsunami!!! My heart goes out to all those people in Japan and Hawaii... :(

I'm thinking Hawaii, and us on the west coast avoided any issues.

That said, don't think I wasn't thinking about a surge of water coming into San Francisco Bay as I took the train through the transbay tube (from SF to East Bay) just before 8 am this morning.

Can't be said enough, thoughts to all in Japan and elsewhere in the east that are going through some horrible times.
    It was a trip seeing the emergency broadcast thing late last nite about a tsunami warning here! I live right on the edge of the bay but glad that nothing has happened here.

It is heartbreaking to see what is happening in Japan. And apparently the earthquake lasted 4 MINUTES? The one we had here in '89 was like 10 seconds and it felt like an eternity. To experience an 8.9 for that long, those people must have felt liek they were going to die :( so scary.
  • Options
  • Options
    It is heartbreaking to see what is happening in Japan. And apparently the earthquake lasted 4 MINUTES? The one we had here in '89 was like 10 seconds and it felt like an eternity. To experience an 8.9 for that long, those people must have felt liek they were going to die :( so scary.

the northridge quake was like 6 seconds and it seemed like 6 minutes...it's incomprehensible to me to ride out a quake that lasts 5 minutes
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    I have been trying to phone my dad (not in japan) but he's not picking up so i'm not sure what the status is on my family...

I went to sleep for a few hours after being up til 4am and it feels like i woke up to an even worse situation :(
    I also woke up to a locked thread on the MT train about this... derailed by someone i'm not entirely surprised at.

Just want to thank everyone in here and everyone in here who also has family and friends over there thoughts are with you all! ♥

I'm off to work now...
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    haffajappa wrote:
    I have been trying to phone my dad (not in japan) but he's not picking up so i'm not sure what the status is on my family...

I went to sleep for a few hours after being up til 4am and it feels like i woke up to an even worse situation :(
    I also woke up to a locked thread on the MT train about this... derailed by someone i'm not entirely surprised at.

Just want to thank everyone in here and everyone in here who also has family and friends over there thoughts are with you all! ♥

I'm off to work now...

:cry::cry: hugs for you
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • Options
    haffajappa wrote:

I'm off to work now...

i hope all your family is safe steph {HUG}
  • Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    norm wrote:
    the northridge quake was like 6 seconds and it seemed like 6 minutes...it's incomprehensible to me to ride out a quake that lasts 5 minutes
    Yeah 10 seconds is the longest I've experienced, I can't imagine! Hell even 30 would be too much.
    haffajappa wrote:

I'm off to work now...
    I hope your family is okay, wishing all the best for you.
  • Options
    AP reports that a magnitude 6.6 earthquake strikes central Japan, causing Tokyo buildings to sway
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    AP reports that a magnitude 6.6 earthquake strikes central Japan, causing Tokyo buildings to sway

:( It just never ends
  • Options
    norm wrote:

with the magnitude of the original quake, these aftershocks will happen for up to a year...getting weaker as time goes on
  • Options
    voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    Wow, this is getting scarier by the moment. Hopefully there no more damage caused or lives lost.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Guess they evacuated a few of the beach towns here:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... mi12m.html

Hope my family in Taiwan is ok.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,778
    There is a video on the home page of CNN, I can't seem to copy the link, but it is scenes from Japan today with music in the back ground.

If any of you have ever seen the movie that we're not allowed to acknowledge exists, the music will remind of certain scenes in that movie.

It's very eerie.
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    norm wrote:
    norm wrote:

with the magnitude of the original quake, these aftershocks will happen for up to a year...getting weaker as time goes on

Here is a list of 5.0M+ earthquakes ...

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/ ... es_big.php

Look how many quakes there are in the last 3 days that state "NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN"!
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    Anytime I see something like this I think about criminals involved in sex/human trafficking. It's Xmas day in Japan for some people. Natural disasters are like hunting season for criminals. If someone doesn't make it home it's assumed they died in the tsunami, when they could be alive and being shipped overseas to be someones sex or labour slave.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    Here is a list of 5.0M+ earthquakes ...

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/ ... es_big.php

Look how many quakes there are in the last 3 days that state "NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN"!

this morning watching the caltech news conference, they had their Richter scale up on a monitor and it's makes a noise whenever there was seismic activity...in the span of about 5 minutes, the thing almost never stopped going off...i can't imagine what it's like to be there
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,778
    Anytime I see something like this I think about criminals involved in sex/human trafficking. It's Xmas day in Japan for some people. Natural disasters are like hunting season for criminals. If someone doesn't make it home it's assumed they died in the tsunami, when they could be alive and being shipped overseas to be someones sex or labour slave.

Oh that's JUST SICK.

But I'm sure you're right.
  • Options
    damn :(

CRESCENT CITY, CA (AP) - Officials say the tsunami triggered by the massive earthquake in Japan has killed one person, swept three others out to sea and caused severe damage to the harbor in Crescent City, near the Oregon border.

ABC affiliate KDRV confirmed that the waves pulled the four out to sea late Friday morning. Two of the other people were found alive and one is still unaccounted for.

Del Norte County sheriff's spokesman Bill Stevens said most boats were pulled out of the harbor in preparation for Friday's tsunami, but 35 vessels that remained are crashing into one another and sinking.

The wooden docks also were breaking apart under the force of the waves.

Crescent City Councilwoman Kelly Schellong said the docks and harbor "are pretty much completely destroyed."

Stevens said the damage cost was estimated to be into the millions, and surges still are expected through the afternoon.

However, the waves have not gone over the 20-foot break wall at the harbor, and no serious injuries or home damage have been reported.

Santa Cruz

The Santa Cruz region experienced several surges in the harbor Friday morning following tsunami warnings that sucked some boats right out of the harbor.

The California Highway Patrol also issued several advisories regarding road closures in the area including Beach Drive and portions of Riverside. Also Highway 1 in Mendocino County 7 miles outside of Westport was closed.

The CHP also said there was some traffic congestion on southbound Highway 17 near Santa Cruz.

Gas stations in the area were reportedly jammed. Officials urged people to stay away from the shoreline. The Seaside State Park was also evacuated.

Ft. Bragg

Noyo harbor at Ft. Bragg on the Mendocino coast was evacuated Friday morning, according to local emergency officials. No damage had been reported.

Water was receding out of the harbor and surging back in stronger, said Shannon Barney, emergency coordinator for Mendocino. The increased wave activity was expected to continue for several hours and officials were warning residents a tsunami threat was still in effect.
    The Associated Press and News10/KXTV

http://www.news10.net/news/story.aspx?s ... 79&catid=2
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    makes me glad i live in the midwest....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    just heard on tv that 88,000 people are missing
  • Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    My wife is Japanese - most of her family is around Hiroshima - minimal issues there. Her brother is a chef in Tokyo, said pots and pans were falling all around. When he was walking home during one of the aftershocks, said it felt like he was "walking on the deck of a boat".

I'm still waiting to hear from one of my wife's friends who lives in Sendai - right near the epicenter and where the tsunami was most serious. Phone lines still down...
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    norm wrote:
    just heard on tv that 88,000 people are missing
    Holy sh*t!!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    This is really sad, we are so lucky that natural disasters here in Adelaide are slim to none but you just never know do you? I hope the best for them all, it must have been bloody scary.
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Options
  • Options
    mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    How very sad.... sending my prayers... :(
    ********************************************************************************************* image