2011 MLB Power Rankings

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,988
    Jeez, I never thought the happy smilie face i made for the red sox would cause so much uproar.

YOU DICK.
  • PHATJPHATJ Posts: 348
    metsfan wrote:
    PHATJ wrote:

You thought right.
    then what was your point? you seem to be bashing the yankees for going out and spending money in the winter to win championships. isn't that what your supposed to do?

Not bashing. Not even commenting on the pro or con of the ability to "win a championship over the winter". I was just saying I think it is possible to win in the off season.
    "I'll Ride the wave where it takes me. I'll Hold the pain. RELEASE ME!"

metsfan wrote:

what are you all worked up for? all the guy said was the yanks "bought championships in the winter for years." he wasn't bashing nor praising them....

i'm not worked up over anything. can you not grasp that. i'm literally sitting behind my computer screen laughing like always.

and again what's his point? wow the yankees go out and spend money just like every big market team does during the winter and sometimes it fails, big whoop. it's what every small market team should do and maybe they'd have fans that will actually support the team and not thousands upon thousands of empty seats.

dude... you seriously need to chill the f out.
    :lol:

• jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Forgive me while I try to talk some actual baseball ...
    PHATJ wrote:
    26. KANSAS CITY ROYALS 65-97 NR

The Royals are bad. But there is hope. Billy Butler is a legit hitter. Kila Ka'aihue has big time power. Joakim Soria may become the best closer in the game. Will Luke Hochevar and Alex Gorden ever reach their potential? Who knows. Read what Baseball Prospectus wrote before the Zack Greinke trade: This is not just the best minor-league system in baseball, it’s the best by a wide margin. The more I wrote about these prospects, the more trouble I had figuring out any way for things to go wrong. Another winning record could occur as early as 2012, but more importantly, the team should return to annual playoff contention shortly thereafter.

Baseball Prospectus actually gave the Royals their highest grade ever for their current farm system. I was listening to a podcast with Joe Sheehan (formerly of BP) and he made a great argument for the Royals, yes the ROYALS, making a huge push for Albert Pujols. They are flush with cash (one of the teams that just pocket the shared MLB revenue), it would only be a quick move across the state for Pujols (and it's been said his family loves the area), the Royals have tons of up and coming talent, too much even, and could deal off a few guys for talent now. They could become a contender if ... IF ... they really put their mind, and wallet to it.

I'd love to see this happen.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    As for the power ranking ... tell me where the Giants were before last year ... then, tell me how accurate these fucking lists are.

Yes, this coming from a Red Sox fan. #1 ranking? ha!

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • jimed14 wrote:
    As for the power ranking ... tell me where the Giants were before last year ... then, tell me how accurate these fucking lists are.

Giants were 13th! The best part was the shot up to 4th after going 5-1, lol. These lists are garbage...
    :)
  • KravenKraven Posts: 829
    jimed14 wrote:

Well they're at least number 2, on paper I mean. Just have to hope that Dice-K has a decent season, Buchholz has a repeat or better year and Josh Beckett and Lackey pitch like the aces (I use that term lightly with Lackey) they are. The only person in the rotation that I have the utmost faith in is John Lester.

You can't outscore everyone. Gotta win those 1 or 2 to nothing games sometimes.
    32 shows and counting...
    jimed14 wrote:

When I did my preseason power rankings last year I had the Giants ranked seventh. Coming in behind Rays, Yankees, Phillies, Twins, Cardinals, Red Sox. I talked about how their pitching was very strong and could lead them to a West division title.

jimed14 wrote:

Giants were 13th! The best part was the shot up to 4th after going 5-1, lol. These lists are garbage...

I had them 7th. I don't know what lists you are referring to.

PHATJ wrote:

Waaaaaait a minute - this was your list you made up and organized like that? HA. Man, I'm convinced everyone who comes on this board definitely does NOT work.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    jimed14 wrote:
    Forgive me while I try to talk some actual baseball ...
    PHATJ wrote:
    26. KANSAS CITY ROYALS 65-97 NR

The Royals are bad. But there is hope. Billy Butler is a legit hitter. Kila Ka'aihue has big time power. Joakim Soria may become the best closer in the game. Will Luke Hochevar and Alex Gorden ever reach their potential? Who knows. Read what Baseball Prospectus wrote before the Zack Greinke trade: This is not just the best minor-league system in baseball, it’s the best by a wide margin. The more I wrote about these prospects, the more trouble I had figuring out any way for things to go wrong. Another winning record could occur as early as 2012, but more importantly, the team should return to annual playoff contention shortly thereafter.

Baseball Prospectus actually gave the Royals their highest grade ever for their current farm system. I was listening to a podcast with Joe Sheehan (formerly of BP) and he made a great argument for the Royals, yes the ROYALS, making a huge push for Albert Pujols. They are flush with cash (one of the teams that just pocket the shared MLB revenue), it would only be a quick move across the state for Pujols (and it's been said his family loves the area), the Royals have tons of up and coming talent, too much even, and could deal off a few guys for talent now. They could become a contender if ... IF ... they really put their mind, and wallet to it.

I'd love to see this happen.

I think pujols to KC is a horrendous idea. That team isn't exactly flush with revenues. They have one of the lowest payrolls in MLB...giving pujols 25-30 mill per year (which is what he's going to get as a FA) would cripple thier financial flexibility.

Also, most of their top prospects (hosmer, moustakas, lamb, duffy, dwyer, myers, etc) won't be up until mid-2012/early 2013, so signing pujols doesn't really make sense, as they won't be seriously ready to compete until 2013 at the earliest (as pujols enters his career decline)

I'd put the odds of pujols to KC at <1%
  • PHATJ wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

ESPN's 2010 MLB Power Rankings, week 1.
    edited March 2011
    PHATJ wrote:

Waaaaaait a minute - this was your list you made up and organized like that? HA. Man, I'm convinced everyone who comes on this board definitely does NOT work.

My list. My writing. My power rankings. I did the work. And by the way a have a very good job. I worked on this and wrote it for my own forum last Saturday.
    Post edited by PHATJ on

ESPN's 2010 MLB Power Rankings, week 1.

OK. Well, I didn't write that. I did write this however. And I stand by the rankings.

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,610
    PHATJ wrote:
    PHATJ wrote:

My list. My writing. My power rankings. I did the work. And by the way a have a very good job. I worked on this and wrote it for my own forum last Saturday.

get out. seriously?? i thought jp was kidding.....is your job title "baseball writer?" :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    PHATJ wrote:

get out. seriously?? i thought jp was kidding.....is your job title "baseball writer?" :lol:

At least someone finds the humor in this.
    This is very high level, perhaps this weekend when I have time I'll bust out some numbers.

Best quick data I could find from 2009 on the Royals ... note, they take in nearly $40M(!) per year in revenue sharing.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/33/bas ... 39113.html

Revenue - $155 mil
    Operating Inc. - $8.9 mil
    Player Expenses - $94 mil
    Gate Receipts - $37 mil

They operate in the black, their stadium is new and funded by the government ... they drew 1.8M fans and made $37M off that, imagine how much better the gate receipts could be if they added Pujols and one or two other name players. Not to mention the concessions, luxury boxes and sponsorships that would roll in.

My point is ... with stronger management, it could happen. Or at least, I'd like to see them at least try.

Seriously. I did the research. And the writing and the whole thing. I am not a professional writer. I am a self employed business man that happens to love sports (especially baseball), and I enjoyed every minute of puting the list together. If time allows me to, I plan on doing a new power rankings ever two weeks or so through out the year. No promises on that, but that is my intention.

jimed14 wrote:
    This is very high level, perhaps this weekend when I have time I'll bust out some numbers.

Best quick data I could find from 2009 on the Royals ... note, they take in nearly $40M(!) per year in revenue sharing.

Revenue - $155 mil
    Gate Receipts - $37 mil

They operate in the black, their stadium is new and funded by the government ... they drew 1.8M fans and made $37M off that, imagine how much better the gate receipts could be if they added Pujols and one or two other name players. Not to mention the concessions, luxury boxes and sponsorships that would roll in.

My point is ... with stronger management, it could happen. Or at least, I'd like to see them at least try.

the stadium isn't new, it's newly renovated.....i've always wanted to see a game there though.
    www.myspace.com
    jimed14 wrote:

Revenue - $155 mil
    Gate Receipts - $37 mil

their stadium isn't new.

what is the KC payroll for 2011?

Pujols doesnt fit into what they are trying to accomplish IMO. They'd be better off with a guy like hosmer at 1B for the next few years while he is under club control.
    The Fixer wrote:
    their stadium isn't new.

Pujols doesnt fit into what they are trying to accomplish IMO. They'd be better off with a guy like hosmer at 1B for the next few years while he is under club control.

Not new, but the stadium underwent a sizable renovation in 2009.

I think the payroll for 2011 is around $75M.

Oh, and of course Pujols doesn't fit in what they are trying to accomplish, current mgmt only wants to accomplish making money off the revenue sharing ... they've done that. (insert GWB's Mission Accomplished jpeg here)

I'm just trying to suggest something that would make them ... you know ... win ballgames. And they may have the capacity, the farm system prospects, the cash, to actually do this.

jimed14 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    their stadium isn't new.

Not new, but the stadium underwent a sizable renovation in 2009.

I think the payroll for 2011 is around $75M.

Oh, and of course Pujols doesn't fit in what they are trying to accomplish, current mgmt only wants to accomplish making money off the revenue sharing ... they've done that. (insert GWB's Mission Accomplished jpeg here)

I'm just trying to suggest something that would make them ... you know ... win ballgames. And they may have the capacity, the farm system prospects, the cash, to actually do this.

I'd be surprised if their payroll is that high. I was thinking more like 60 million.

I'd be copying the rays blueprint to a 'T' if I was KC. Once they see what shakes out with their loaded farm system, they can start adding FA pieces around those players. I don't think it makes sense to blow approximately 30% of your salary budget to one player. Especially when that player is entering the downside of his career.

Love these baseball debates. Can't wait for the season to start

EDIT: around 71 mill, so you were pretty close
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/salaries/_/ ... ity-royals
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,731
    This circle jerk over Boston has got to stop, I don't get all the love. Yes, they had injuries last year and yes, Crawford and Gonzalez are offensive upgrades over Beltre and Vmart but pitching was a major problem and the rotation is the same, who knows what they are going to get out of Beckett, Lackey and Dice K. Yes, Boston is going to be better this year but I can't possibly see how they are ranked above the Phillies to start the season. I know the Phillies lost Werth and I am very skeptical of the phillies offense but their rotation is just outrageous if it stays healthy,

Edit: And the Twins ahead of the Yankees, ha.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    This circle jerk over Boston has got to stop, I don't get all the love. Yes, they had injuries last year and yes, Crawford and Gonzalez are offensive upgrades over Beltre and Vmart but pitching was a major problem and the rotation is the same, who knows what they are going to get out of Beckett, Lackey and Dice K. Yes, Boston is going to be better this year but I can't possibly see how they are ranked above the Phillies to start the season. I know the Phillies lost Werth and I am very skeptical of the phillies offense but their rotation is just outrageous if it stays healthy,

dude...the op made up the list himself.
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

dude...the op made up the list himself.

Ahh, missed that. Damn, that's a lot of work.

Op, who is your team?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I thought twins over yanks was funny too. Remember all the talk last year aorund here before that yanks/twins playoff series?

as for boston...they should be pretty damn good, but I agree that their rotation is loaded with question marks

I was looking at 2011 win total over/unders the other night. I actully like the yanks over 92 a lot. Also like mets under 76.5 and reds over 84.5. Really wish I would have jumped on cards under before the wainwright injury. Even with him I think they were a .500 team...that number is all the way down to 82.
    People need to get past 1 vs 2 vs 3 etc ... look at it as teams in groups, or who's ranked around you. Comparable teams in groups of 6 or something.

One team over by a spot or two another really isn't that big of a deal.

Cliffy, we've moved on ... you, me and Fixer are going to take over the Royals, you in?

jimed14 wrote:
    People need to get past 1 vs 2 vs 3 etc ... look at it as teams in groups, or who's ranked around you. Comparable teams in groups of 6 or something.

One team over by a spot or two another really isn't that big of a deal.

Cliffy, we've moved on ... you, me and Fixer are going to take over the Royals, you in?

True on all of that, I just like to nitpick.

Yeah, I am down, we sure as hell could do a better job than Moore
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I thought twins over yanks was funny too. Remember all the talk last year aorund here before that yanks/twins playoff series?

as for boston...they should be pretty damn good, but I agree that their rotation is loaded with question marks

I was looking at 2011 win total over/unders the other night. I actully like the yanks over 92 a lot. Also like mets under 76.5 and reds over 84.5. Really wish I would have jumped on cards under before the wainwright injury. Even with him I think they were a .500 team...that number is all the way down to 82.

Haha, I forgot about that. Those twinkes fans were pretty confident, haah.

Yeah, they are defintely going to be good, no doubt, I just don't know about the best team in baseball.

I like the Yanks over 92 too, especially since there is no way their pitching staff is staying as is all year. Damn, Mets number is 76.5, that is pretty sad. You have been down on the Cards all offseason, understandably
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    That's all we can do at this point is nitpick! I'm not a huge fan of us being #1 in the spring training rankings. In fact, I truly don't believe we're the best team as constituted right now. But it's better than being the Pirates.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925