2011 MLB Power Rankings

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,731
    Oh and regarding Pujols, I kind of see the KC talk along the same lines of the Toronto talk. Sure, it is a possibility but they have so many things working against them it is so hard to see happening. Gotta admit it would be very refreshing to see a team like that land the best player in baseball via free agency though.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Oh and regarding Pujols, I kind of see the KC talk along the same lines of the Toronto talk. Sure, it is a possibility but they have so many things working against them it is so hard to see happening. Gotta admit it would be very refreshing to see a team like that land the best player in baseball via free agency though.

I think toronto makes a lot more sense than KC as they are more win-now ready. Gotta figure the mets and cubs would be players as well.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I think toronto makes a lot more sense than KC as they are more win-now ready. Gotta figure the mets and cubs would be players as well.

I would agree Toronto makes more sense but I don't see either happening. Toronto has a tough road being in the AL East though. Everything I read says the Cubs are going all in for him, and I would imagine the Mets will definitely be involved.
  • PHATJPHATJ Posts: 348
    jimed14 wrote:
    People need to get past 1 vs 2 vs 3 etc ... look at it as teams in groups, or who's ranked around you. Comparable teams in groups of 6 or something.

One team over by a spot or two another really isn't that big of a deal.

Cliffy, we've moved on ... you, me and Fixer are going to take over the Royals, you in?

In my opinion the list feels like this:

The Favorites:
    Red Sox
    Phillies

Title Contenders:
    Giants
    Rangers
    Twins
    Yankees
    Reds

Playoff Contenders:
    Rockies
    Braves
    White Sox
    Brewers
    Tigers
    Angels

Things need to go exactly right to make post season:
    A's
    Dodgers
    Orioles
    Cardinals
    Cubs
    Marlins
    Rays
    Blue Jays

No Post season this year:
    Nationals
    Mets
    Padres

No chance in 2011:
    Mariners
    Royals
    D-Backs
    Astros
    Indians
    Pirates

Something like that. All the teams in each group are very close with each other.
    "I'll Ride the wave where it takes me. I'll Hold the pain. RELEASE ME!"

• FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Wait, so you're saying the Nats aren't going to make the playoffs this year?
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

as a die hard jays fan, i have to say that Toronto is no way in a win now situation. I do believe that they will place 2nd in the east (Yankees have no pitching imo) but they need a couple of more years. also, the blue jay owners have said that they will not be spending that amount of money that Albert would want.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I would agree Toronto makes more sense but I don't see either happening. Toronto has a tough road being in the AL East though. Everything I read says the Cubs are going all in for him, and I would imagine the Mets will definitely be involved.

from all reports here in Toronto they are not looking at Albert. this team is a couple of years away from being major players imo and getting Albert doesn't really help them. as long as Albert doesn't go to the Yankees or Red sox then we will be ok in a couple of years.
    fife wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

as a die hard jays fan, i have to say that Toronto is no way in a win now situation. I do believe that they will place 2nd in the east (Yankees have no pitching imo) but they need a couple of more years. also, the blue jay owners have said that they will not be spending that amount of money that Albert would want.

I meant they are in more of a win-now mode than KC. If they get Lawrie and Drabek into the majors, Snider has a good year, and Lind bounces back then this team won't be far from contending.

of course the owners are going to say that. if they say they are willing to spend an exorbitant amount of money on a specific player it puts them in a weakened bargaining position.

I love the moves AA has made (other than the john buck contract). The jays aren't that far away. Certainly not as far as the royals
    as a die hard jays fan, i have to say that Toronto is no way in a win now situation. I do believe that they will place 2nd in the east (Yankees have no pitching imo) but they need a couple of more years. also, the blue jay owners have said that they will not be spending that amount of money that Albert would want.[/quote]

I meant they are in more of a win-now mode than KC. If they get Lawrie and Drabek into the majors, Snider has a good year, and Lind bounces back then this team won't be far from contending.

of course the owners are going to say that. if they say they are willing to spend an exorbitant amount of money on a specific player it puts them in a weakened bargaining position.

I love the moves AA has made (other than the john buck contract). The jays aren't that far away. Certainly not as far as the royals[/quote]

ok sorry i misunderstood you. yes i agree that the Jay are further than the Royals but i still don't think they are there yet. in the last 3 years the jay have won 85, 86 and 87 games but i think they need to get to about 90 to make the playoffs and their pitching is still very young and not very experienced yet.
    edited March 2011
    It's nice to be optimistic at the beginning of the season and you guys have a lot to look forward to but to say the Jays are going to finish above the Yanks, come on. The Yanks starting staff is thin, but they have the resouces and money to pick up a big name, which they will, and their line up and bullpen is absolutely stacked.

Edit: And chances are, 2nd place in the east wins you the wild card, you think the Jays are going to the playoffs this year?
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    fife wrote:

ok sorry i misunderstood you. yes i agree that the Jay are further than the Royals but i still don't think they are there yet. in the last 3 years the jay have won 85, 86 and 87 games but i think they need to get to about 90 to make the playoffs and their pitching is still very young and not very experienced yet.

I like the direction that the jays have gone. I didn't like the marcum/lawrie trade, but that could work for them. AA has done a good job. Pujols would be a nice fit up there...esp if lind tanks again in '11
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    It's nice to be optimistic at the beginning of the season and you guys have a lot to look forward to but to say the Jays are going to finish above the Yanks, come on. The Yanks starting staff is thin, but they have the resouces and money to pick up a big name, which they will, and their line up and bullpen is absolutely stacked.

Edit: And chances are, 2nd place in the east wins you the wild card, you think the Jays are going to the playoffs this year?

If you look at the jays record in the last couple of years they actually have an ok record playing the AL, they are not as good playing the NL. when i look at the Yankees their pitching is not secure as you have mentioned. they have CC but who else. AJ has to have a come back year which may happen but you never know. now you can say that the Yankees will get a big pitcher but that guessing right now, would you not say? NY is getting older.

I don't think the jay make the playoff this year because i think the white soxs will be improved and might take it.
    The Fixer wrote:
    fife wrote:

I like the direction that the jays have gone. I didn't like the marcum/lawrie trade, but that could work for them. AA has done a good job. Pujols would be a nice fit up there...esp if lind tanks again in '11

I think the lawrie trade was actually good for the jays. he is another good hitter (which the jays need) he is very young (21 years old) I don't know if he makes the team this year but i would say he will be there next year. Pujois would be great in Toronto (would make other players see us as a place they might want to play for) but i like that the jays are trying to get young and position themselves as contenders for many years to come.
    fife wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

If you look at the jays record in the last couple of years they actually have an ok record playing the AL, they are not as good playing the NL. when i look at the Yankees their pitching is not secure as you have mentioned. they have CC but who else. AJ has to have a come back year which may happen but you never know. now you can say that the Yankees will get a big pitcher but that guessing right now, would you not say? NY is getting older.

I don't think the jay make the playoff this year because i think the white soxs will be improved and might take it.

I don't think the Yanks pitching is secure, I think it is good enough, right now. CC is CC, Hughes had a good year last year and hopefully he continues to improve and I am actually positive on AJ, I think Rothschild is going to help him out a lot. The back end with what looks like Nova and Garcia is shaky but servicable for now, until someone comes available. Yeah, I am guessing that the Yanks will pick someone up but I don't think that is a stretch. I just think the Yanks have enough offense to carry the back end of the rotation for the time being. And the bullpen is absolutely stacked. Yeah, the lineup is aging, but they were within a couple wins of the world series with terrible years from 3 of their best players in Tex, Jeter and Arod. I would imagine at least 2 of them have bounce back years.

I like what the Jays are doing too, I think the AL East is going to be absolutely brutal for a long time with 4 very well run clubs, I just can't see them keeping up with the Yanks for 162 games this year, especially with the Yankees resources.
    Baseball is back fellas, this is awesome.
    I don't think the jay make the playoff this year because i think the white soxs will be improved and might take it.[/quote]

I don't think the Yanks pitching is secure, I think it is good enough, right now. CC is CC, Hughes had a good year last year and hopefully he continues to improve and I am actually positive on AJ, I think Rothschild is going to help him out a lot. The back end with what looks like Nova and Garcia is shaky but servicable for now, until someone comes available. Yeah, I am guessing that the Yanks will pick someone up but I don't think that is a stretch. I just think the Yanks have enough offense to carry the back end of the rotation for the time being. And the bullpen is absolutely stacked. Yeah, the lineup is aging, but they were within a couple wins of the world series with terrible years from 3 of their best players in Tex, Jeter and Arod. I would imagine at least 2 of them have bounce back years.

I like what the Jays are doing too, I think the AL East is going to be absolutely brutal for a long time with 4 very well run clubs, I just can't see them keeping up with the Yanks for 162 games this year, especially with the Yankees resources.[/quote]

thats fair, i just hope the jays start off fast as they are playing their first 12 games against the AL central and west division where they usually play well.

I agree with the east being very powerful and its a shame great teams won't make the playoffs but i guess that what makes baseball great.
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    Kind of feel bad for the Jays.

Any other division and they would probably have gotten to the playoffs a few times.

Playing Boston and New York so many times has got to take its toll. Especially since Tampa Bay is good now, which adds to the pressure.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

This is what has me excited!

PHATJ wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, man. Going to be a fun season. Who's your team?
  • KravenKraven Posts: 829
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

...I think the AL East is going to be absolutely brutal for a long time with 4 very well run clubs...

Not sure who your 4th is, but if its the Rays, you need to include Baltimore, making it 5 well run teams. Their team on paper this year looks much improved and we all saw what Buck Showalter did with a bad team for part of a year. The AL East this year is going to be so fun to watch. By far the best division in all of baseball.
    32 shows and counting...
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    PHATJ wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, man. Going to be a fun season. Who's your team?

Minnesota Twins. I started going to games (about 15 of them) in 1987 when I was seven years old. The club won the World Series and I have been hooked for the last 23 years.

Kraven wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

...I think the AL East is going to be absolutely brutal for a long time with 4 very well run clubs...

Not sure who your 4th is, but if its the Rays, you need to include Baltimore, making it 5 well run teams. Their team on paper this year looks much improved and we all saw what Buck Showalter did with a bad team for part of a year. The AL East this year is going to be so fun to watch. By far the best division in all of baseball.

Funny you say that. My 4 was everyone aside from Baltimore. I was thinking about saying 5 and including the O's but any team owned by Peter Angelos is tough to be considered "well run". Buck is certainly going to help, but it looks like Weiters, while young, may not live up to the hype, we will see though. And Matsuz might not be as great as expected. Can't blame a team for missing on prospects, most do the majority of the time, but the prospects, Angelos and the 6,000 fans a game does no make the future look too bright. Agreed for the most part though.
    PHATJ wrote:
    Minnesota Twins. I started going to games (about 15 of them) in 1987 when I was seven years old. The club won the World Series and I have been hooked for the last 23 years.

Nice, hopefully you are a little more rational than the Twins fans that were around last ALDS, they had the Twins sweeping the Yanks and talked quite a bit of shit. You weren't around then, right? I almost moved to Minneapolis out of college but chose Philly instead because of the location and my family, hear it's a great city though. Would love to get out there and see the new stadium. Stick around for the season, some good baseball talk and some heated arguments around here.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    PHATJ wrote:

Nice, hopefully you are a little more rational than the Twins fans that were around last ALDS, they had the Twins sweeping the Yanks and talked quite a bit of shit. You weren't around then, right? I almost moved to Minneapolis out of college but chose Philly instead because of the location and my family, hear it's a great city though. Would love to get out there and see the new stadium. Stick around for the season, some good baseball talk and some heated arguments around here.

I am rational, but I am also a fan. I have actually been on this board since 2003, so I was around. I just don't get myself involved in those pointless arguments. The Twins need to win a playoff round or two before fans talk shit about the Yankees. Minneapolis is a great city. The new ballpark is spectacular. I love it here. By the way, it isn't the Yankees that I can't stand, the White Sox are the Twins' biggest rival. Should be a great season.

PHATJ wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    PHATJ wrote:

I am rational, but I am also a fan. I have actually been on this board since 2003, so I was around. I just don't get myself involved in those pointless arguments. The Twins need to win a playoff round or two before fans talk shit about the Yankees. Minneapolis is a great city. The new ballpark is spectacular. I love it here. By the way, it isn't the Yankees that I can't stand, the White Sox are the Twins' biggest rival. Should be a great season.

I actually have to go to minneapolis for work the week of 4/18. I'll have to see if the twins are home at all that week. I'd love to check out a game at the new park.

The Twins rotation just isn't good enough to compete in the AL. It's Liriano and a bunch of average starters. That might be good enough to win the cesspool that is the AL Central, but it ain't getting them anywhere come playoff time.
    The Fixer wrote:

I actually have to go to minneapolis for work the week of 4/18. I'll have to see if the twins are home at all that week. I'd love to check out a game at the new park.

The Twins rotation just isn't good enough to compete in the AL. It's Liriano and a bunch of average starters. That might be good enough to win the cesspool that is the AL Central, but it ain't getting them anywhere come playoff time.

Go if you can. The stadium is fantastic.

PHATJ wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I definitely want to get out there and see the stadium, this year it's Wrigley for me for out of town games.

This Yankees fan enjoyed his time at Target Field

porkchop_01.jpg
    PHATJ wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    PHATJ wrote:

Yeah, it might have gone a little overboard last ALDS, was fun though. Twins have had a rough go of it with the Yanks in the playoffs. I like the Twins, I like Gardenhire, I like Mauer, seems like a class act organization. I don't like Pavano or Morneau, bitter about Morneaus MVP. Have heard nothing but great things about Minneapolis, was very close to moving there. Yeah, going to be a fun season, finally have my Yankees packages back.
    PHATJ wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

They're in Baltimore for four games the week I'll be there. Kind of ironic since I just moved down to that area.

Oh well...that could be a possible future phils trip
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

finally have my Yankees packages back.

Nice. I gotta get up to that stadium.