Options

***OFFICIAL FOO FIGHTERS THREAD***

Comments

• Options
    Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199
    Newch91 wrote:
    Video for "These Days" is available on iTunes for free for 48 hours starting now.

Anybody know what arena that was filmed at?

It was compiled of video from their most recent Australian/New Zealand tour. From just the one time watching it, I would say the majority of the stadium shots were of Aami Park in Melbourne and Metricon Stadium in Brisbane. IE when you see the roof of the stadiums, but as far as the closeup crowd shots.......who knows! :lol:
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    Foos win Best Rock Album, Best Rock Song & Best Hard Rock performance and butch loses for producing it :?
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    Video for "These Days" is available on iTunes for free for 48 hours starting now.

Anybody know what arena that was filmed at?

It was compiled of video from their most recent Australian/New Zealand tour. From just the one time watching it, I would say the majority of the stadium shots were of Aami Park in Melbourne and Metricon Stadium in Brisbane. IE when you see the roof of the stadiums, but as far as the closeup crowd shots.......who knows! :lol:
    There's definitely footage from the Auckland show there including one of our own's banners near the end. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    norm wrote:
    Foos win Best Rock Album, Best Rock Song & Best Hard Rock performance and butch loses for producing it :?
    Who won it?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    CTD10CTD10 Posts: 351
    Congrats to the Foo's....much deserved...what an awesome album,
    ctd
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    SO proud of the Foos win! But I couldn't help but shake my head at the fact that after Dave's amazing acceptance speech, what plays? LMFAO -____-
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    samjam wrote:
    SO proud of the Foos win! But I couldn't help but shake my head at the fact that after Dave's amazing acceptance speech, what plays? LMFAO -____-
    agreed. Foo's deserve everything they won and more. I loved every second of Grohls speech and i think everyone there did too. but dude.....then you go play an electronic music tribute???
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,679
    samjam wrote:
    agreed. Foo's deserve everything they won and more. I loved every second of Grohls speech and i think everyone there did too. but dude.....then you go play an electronic music tribute???

i've always liked dave grohl, and i'd consider myself a casual foo fighters fan...AND, i kind of liked the speech in theory. but doesn't anyone else get the impression that in his speech, he's trying to come off as a little more punk rock than he and his band really are?

i can't tell you how many times he went out of his way last night to announce to everyone how they just made their album in his garage without a fancy recording studio. it was pretty much every chance he got, and he's been throwing that out there every opportunity he gets.

COME ON DAVE! your garage IS a fancy recording studio. this isn't some shack they hunkered down in for a month with a shitty tape recorder, which is how it seems he would like people to believe it went down. this is a finished garage at a mansion we're talking about...a garage with the best recording equipment money can buy. and the production on 'wasting light' is near flawless. shoot it straight dave. you're not impressing anyone.
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    Lifted wrote:
    a garage with the best recording equipment money can buy.

it was recorded straight to tape, no fancy digital pro tools crap, even if he does have a nice garage! :lol:
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    my sister sent me a video last night of my 2 year old niece totally rocking out to their grammy performance.. the first one, not the one with the DJ :D
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    Oh, what a night we had last Sunday at the 54th Annual Grammy Awards. The glitz! The Glamour! SEACREST! Where do I begin?? Chillin' with Lil' Wayne...meeting Cyndi Lauper's adorable mother...the complimentary blinking Coldplay bracelet.....much too much to recap. It's really is still a bit of a blur. But, if there's one thing that I remember VERY clearly, it was accepting the Grammy for Best Rock Performance...and then saying this:

"To me this award means a lot because it shows that the human element of music is what's important. Singing into a microphone and learning to play an instrument and learning to do your craft, that's the most important thing for people to do... It's not about being perfect, it's not about sounding absolutely correct, it's not about what goes on in a computer. It's about what goes on in here [your heart] and what goes on in here [your head]."

Not the Gettysburg Address, but hey......I'm a drummer, remember?

Well, me and my big mouth. Never has a 33 second acceptance rant evoked such caps-lock postboard rage as my lil' ode to analog recording has. OK....maybe Kanye has me on this one, but....Imma let you finish....just wanted to clarify something...

I love music. I love ALL kinds of music. From Kyuss to Kraftwerk, Pinetop Perkins to Prodigy, Dead Kennedys to Deadmau5.....I love music. Electronic or acoustic, it doesn't matter to me. The simple act of creating music is a beautiful gift that ALL human beings are blessed with. And the diversity of one musician's personality to the next is what makes music so exciting and.....human.

That's exactly what I was referring to. The "human element". That thing that happens when a song speeds up slightly, or a vocal goes a little sharp. That thing that makes people sound like PEOPLE. Somewhere along the line those things became "bad" things, and with the great advances in digital recording technology over the years they became easily "fixed". The end result? I my humble opinion.....a lot of music that sounds perfect, but lacks personality. The one thing that makes music so exciting in the first place.

And, unfortunately, some of these great advances have taken the focus off of the actual craft of performance. Look, I am not Yngwie Malmsteen. I am not John Bonham. Hell...I'm not even Josh Groban, for that matter. But I try really fucking hard so that I don't have to rely on anything but my hands and my heart to play a song. I do the best that I possibly can within my limitations, and accept that it sounds like me. Because that's what I think is most important. It should be real, right? Everybody wants something real.

I don't know how to do what Skrillex does (though I fucking love it) but I do know that the reason he is so loved is because he sounds like Skrillex, and that's badass. We have a different process and a different set of tools, but the "craft" is equally as important, I'm sure. I mean.....if it were that easy, anyone could do it, right? (See what I did there?)

So, don't give me two Crown Royals and then ask me to make a speech at your wedding, because I might just bust into the advantages of recording to 2 inch tape.

Now, I think I have to go scream at some kids to get off my lawn.

Stay frosty.
    Davemau5
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    Oh, what a night we had last Sunday at the 54th Annual Grammy Awards. The glitz! The Glamour! SEACREST! Where do I begin?? Chillin' with Lil' Wayne...meeting Cyndi Lauper's adorable mother...the complimentary blinking Coldplay bracelet.....much too much to recap. It's really is still a bit of a blur. But, if there's one thing that I remember VERY clearly, it was accepting the Grammy for Best Rock Performance...and then saying this:

"To me this award means a lot because it shows that the human element of music is what's important. Singing into a microphone and learning to play an instrument and learning to do your craft, that's the most important thing for people to do... It's not about being perfect, it's not about sounding absolutely correct, it's not about what goes on in a computer. It's about what goes on in here [your heart] and what goes on in here [your head]."

Not the Gettysburg Address, but hey......I'm a drummer, remember?

Well, me and my big mouth. Never has a 33 second acceptance rant evoked such caps-lock postboard rage as my lil' ode to analog recording has. OK....maybe Kanye has me on this one, but....Imma let you finish....just wanted to clarify something...

I love music. I love ALL kinds of music. From Kyuss to Kraftwerk, Pinetop Perkins to Prodigy, Dead Kennedys to Deadmau5.....I love music. Electronic or acoustic, it doesn't matter to me. The simple act of creating music is a beautiful gift that ALL human beings are blessed with. And the diversity of one musician's personality to the next is what makes music so exciting and.....human.

That's exactly what I was referring to. The "human element". That thing that happens when a song speeds up slightly, or a vocal goes a little sharp. That thing that makes people sound like PEOPLE. Somewhere along the line those things became "bad" things, and with the great advances in digital recording technology over the years they became easily "fixed". The end result? I my humble opinion.....a lot of music that sounds perfect, but lacks personality. The one thing that makes music so exciting in the first place.

And, unfortunately, some of these great advances have taken the focus off of the actual craft of performance. Look, I am not Yngwie Malmsteen. I am not John Bonham. Hell...I'm not even Josh Groban, for that matter. But I try really fucking hard so that I don't have to rely on anything but my hands and my heart to play a song. I do the best that I possibly can within my limitations, and accept that it sounds like me. Because that's what I think is most important. It should be real, right? Everybody wants something real.

I don't know how to do what Skrillex does (though I fucking love it) but I do know that the reason he is so loved is because he sounds like Skrillex, and that's badass. We have a different process and a different set of tools, but the "craft" is equally as important, I'm sure. I mean.....if it were that easy, anyone could do it, right? (See what I did there?)

So, don't give me two Crown Royals and then ask me to make a speech at your wedding, because I might just bust into the advantages of recording to 2 inch tape.

Now, I think I have to go scream at some kids to get off my lawn.

Stay frosty.
    Davemau5
    :lol::lol::clap:
  • Options
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Newch91 wrote:

Awesome! That's gotta be a major hint that they will be playing this year's Reading, the line up is out on Monday, hmmmmm.....
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

Awesome! That's gotta be a major hint that they will be playing this year's Reading, the line up is out on Monday, hmmmmm.....
    Good point. Didn't think of that.
  • Options
    PJ88PJ88 Birthplace of the Toll House Cookie Posts: 1,074
    Newch91 wrote:

That's great! Thanks for the link/laugh. :lol:
  • Options
    This is the first time I'v seen this thread!!!! It's Great :clap::clap: I wish I would have seen it earlier!
  • Options
    This is the first time I'v seen this thread!!!! It's Great :clap::clap: I wish I would have seen it earlier!
    :o Welcome! :D
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

:D A lot of great links are here. I'm trying to catch up now! haha

I went to a show in Pittsburgh back in September. Anybody know how to find a bootleg of it?
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376

This is one of the best threads on the board! :D
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    thefixer9 wrote:

This will end up being the official Foo Fighters. Or it already is.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    thefixer9 wrote:

This will end up being the official Foo Fighters. Or it already is.

You should just change the thread title to "Official Foo Fighters Thread"
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    Newch91 wrote:

:D A lot of great links are here. I'm trying to catch up now! haha

I went to a show in Pittsburgh back in September. Anybody know how to find a bootleg of it?

There's no official FF boots, but check out foofighterslive.com, if a recording is around it will be mentioned there.
  • Options
    Kathi wrote:

There's no official FF boots, but check out foofighterslive.com, if a recording is around it will be mentioned there.

Thank You :)
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    Foos are playing Lollapalooza Chile tonight, in about an hour, there's a live stream, here's what you need to do to watch from outside the country:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... ?hl=es-419

If you've got chrome - click the link and then click to add to your Chrome.If you haven't got chrome download that and do then do the same. Once you've done that look in the top right hand corner next to the spanner icon there should be a grey black box with a green box underneath that with a white ': D' icon inside it - click on that an it should open up with a selection of channels. Then click on the Lollapolooza logo which at the moment is on the last option on the bottom row.
  • Options
  • Options
    It's about time you changed the title of this thread! :lol:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12