Australian floods!!!

Comments

• HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    Wally still stands outside Lang Park, I read.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    I pinched that statue's bum! ;)
    Hinn wrote:
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    Loulou wrote:
    I pinched that statue's bum! ;)
    Hinn wrote:
    http://yfrog.com/h59gpcj

Hahahahahahahahahahaha genius. Now THAT is Australian.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
    I love that!!!!! At least they can still have a laugh hey?? good on em!!!
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    I cried my eyes out reading this, so sad what a hero! :cry:
    http://news.sky.com/skynews/Article/201101115893449

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    brisbane truly is living up to her nickname of the river city.

to those who gave wally a snorkel and water wings. :thumbup:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    :lol: That Wally pic is awesome!!

I wonder if Threefish has power? He's strangely absent.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • heidihiheidihi Posts: 114
    It is hard to believe looking at the TV that there is so much destruction just 20 minutes up the road. So many places that are just a part of life are under water. My rugby league obssessed 9 year old had to fight back tears when he saw Suncorp Stadium and after seeing the skills of the tug boat drivers wants to be a tug boat driver. So many incredible scenes ..... My heart breaks for people who have lost so much..... Brisbane is a wreck :(
    “The human race has only one really effective weapon and that is laughter.” Mark Twain
    ps .... Milton Brewery is under....lots of xxxx is under water.... a travesty for QLD.
    “The human race has only one really effective weapon and that is laughter.” Mark Twain
  • All Australians and the world should "Rise Up" donate and selll unwanted christmas gifts if you can to support the relief effort. My brother has his house under water in Brisbane thank god his family are all safe. Please support the effort if possible tweet this website if you have twitter I dont (not that cool)

http://www.qld.gov.au/floods/donate.html

Please give generously.
    Legally, it's questionable. Morally, it's disgusting. Personally, I like it. :)
  • jmurrayjmurray Posts: 3,538
    The scope of this flooding is mind boggling, my thoughts are with you all in Australia.
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    That wally is hilarious.

Heard this morning the 13 year old who died forced rescuers to save his little brother first. As soon as he was the car was swept away and he and his mother died. What a little hero.

R.I.P
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
    pjfan31 wrote:
    That wally is hilarious.

Heard this morning the 13 year old who died forced rescuers to save his little brother first. As soon as he was the car was swept away and he and his mother died. What a little hero.

R.I.P

yeah that one gets to me. you just never know where the strength lies until something like this happens. being a man, he probably didnt want to leave his mum alone.

RIP little man.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Loulou wrote:
    I cried my eyes out reading this, so sad what a hero! :cry:
    http://news.sky.com/skynews/Article/201101115893449

This is the kid I was talking about....

This amazing what young people do.

This lady I know had her 2 kids walking to school. I think the ages were about 15 and 13. A car was out of control and the eldest pushed the youngest out of the way putting himself in danger. Consequently he lost his life. People do amazing, selfless things.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    There will be many more heroic stories surfacing over the next few days.

I'm still fine, just doing some work cleaning up for some clients effected by the heavy rains more then floods. At least four of my clients are under water at the moment so there is a lot of work needing to be done over the coming weeks.

Also the death toll is now 14 after another body was found in durack, an outer Brisbane suburb.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
    14, and unfortunately still more to come.

This just got sent through to me. Apparently this is on Facebook. QLD Flood drinking game.

YOU WILL NEED:

1. Copious amounts of alcohol

2. To watch 9's coverage of the floods

Take one drink IF:

1. The news reporter says INUNDATED

2. The news reporter says UNPRECEDENTED

3. The news reporter says EVACUATION

4. The news reporter says CAPACITY

5. The news reporter is standing in water whilst reporting

6. The news reporter makes reference to 1974 floods

7. The news reporter says 'Rolling Coverage'

8. When the SES Helicopter is shown.

9. The Suncorp Staduim is shown or referenced to

Take two drinks IF:

1. Stock Footage of Wivenhoe dam

2. Stock Footage of Floating aeroplane

3. Stock Footage of Floating Dinghy

4. "WATER OVER ROAD" sign

5. An insurance ad comes on during the break

6. That youtube video of the cars floating in Toowoomba comes on screen

7. Anything to do with SANDBAGS

8. Stock Footage of old ladies making ham sandwiches at RNA showgrounds

9. Stock Footage of water level meter stick

10. When a reporter says “Queensland’s Darkest Hour”

11. A toothless Ipswich local, appears on screen

12. Stock Footage of the boat hitting the bridge

Take three drinks IF:

1. Stock Footage of a road sign which is the only object above water level

2. Stock Footage of 1974 Floods

3. Stock Footage of people sitting on their roof.

4. Floating Furniture

5. Stock Footage of the Football Field in Ipswich

6. News reporter makes reference to the Brisbane River, Wivenhoe Dam, or Condamine.

7. Anna Bligh appears on screen

6. If 'Burst it's banks' is said.

7. When the ‘Chasing Cars’ photo slideshow plays

Take four drinks IF:

1. Anna Bligh says INUNDATED

2. Anna Bligh says EVACUATION

3. Anna Bligh makes reference to 1974

4. Anna Bligh says, “This has broken our hearts, but it will not break our will.”

Take five drinks IF:

1. Channel 9 decides to show Two and a Half Men, tonight

2. On rare instances, the reporters (and Anna Bligh) make references to 1893, this is worth 5 drinks.

note: our publishing rights have been revoked as we are not restricted to over 18.

Also i doubt anyone with negative feedback actually reads this but still: To enforce once again, this is made by people in the affected area, we did not have intention of so many people liking and agreeing but that in turn speaks for itself. So many people have made this group popular because we really are making the best of what we can. we sit here and wait for news... I personally think this somehow unites us in a way as we drink to the repitition while we await something new. But this group couldnt be what it is without the massive amount of people who need this kind of humour in brisbanes 'darkest hour'. Big thanks to all the fans and hope ur all doing the best u can, both with the game and the floods.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
    so last night i was on the phone with my father(he lives in brisvegas) and he asked me if i heard the story about the crocodile found in the city park. i laughed and said no. he said well channel 9 did and apparently reported it as fact... i told him maybe it was one of the ones australia zoo forgot to tie down. ;):lol:

if true i wonder if channel 9 even bothered to question how a crocodile would get into a city park, even considering the floods or did they do a richard wilkins and heard about it on twitter, maybe even facebook, and decided the source was beyond reproach. :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    A bull shark has been spotted swimming round goodna, that's a bit more believable then a croc. But that is still possible, many people have baby ones as pets and they get too big so they just dump them. There is a lake on a golf course near the airport they fenced off as they believe there was a croc in it. But yeah could be urban legend.
  • E.KE.K Posts: 7,709
    I haven't booked any accommodation in Brisbane for 10th March yet (EV show) and am wondering whether I should now. :(
    Sydney, Australia - March 12, 1998; Sydney, Australia - February 14, 2003; Sydney, Australia - November 8, 2006; Sydney, Australia - November 25, 2006;  Brisbane, Australia - November, 2009; Gold Coast, Australia - January, 2014

edited January 2011
    E.K wrote:
    I haven't booked any accommodation in Brisbane for 10th March yet (EV show) and am wondering whether I should now. :(

i dont see why not. there might be an issue with the venue atm but im sure itll dry out by march.

it really is difficult sometimes to decide what the best course to take is. i was due to arrive in brisbane this morning to visit my family. i cancelled tuesday morning. but i have TOOL tix for 24th january and i dont know what im doing.
    Post edited by catefrances on
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    A bull shark has been spotted swimming round goodna, that's a bit more believable then a croc. But that is still possible, many people have baby ones as pets and they get too big so they just dump them. There is a lake on a golf course near the airport they fenced off as they believe there was a croc in it. But yeah could be urban legend.

'yeah sharks i can believe. theyre there even when the river isnt flooded. and bull sharks.. oh sweet... thems just right for patting. :shock: :lol:

the croc story my father told me about has proven to be bullshit. funny, but still bullshit. you know what chinese whispers are like. ;)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    I work for a liquid waste company down here in Sydney and it looks like we'll be sending up our draincleaner as part of the effort. It will be used to suck up the mud and clean the drains once the water subsides. Our boys will be busy beavers up there for a good few months I'd say.
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
    the croc story my father told me about has proven to be bullshit. funny, but still bullshit. you know what chinese whispers are like. ;)

speaking of chinese whispers. i have heard, and it is very unconfirmed that there may be up to a hundred bodies in the toowoomba morgue. don't know how true that is when the news says only 15 are dead, but it would not surprise me. cause it's not like i'm hearing it on twitter on anything it came from a friend who has a friend in toowoomba who's mate is a cop there.

but it's still kinda like my uncle's mother's brother's friend's nanny heard from her mate down the road who has a friend.

but scary if true.

speaking of chinese whispers. i have heard, and it is very unconfirmed that there may be up to a hundred bodies in the toowoomba morgue. don't know how true that is when the news says only 15 are dead, but it would not surprise me. cause it's not like i'm hearing it on twitter on anything it came from a friend who has a friend in toowoomba who's mate is a cop there.

but it's still kinda like my uncle's mother's brother's friend's nanny heard from her mate down the road who has a friend.

but scary if true.

Again this is chinese whispers but my friend in the police force (although here in Brissie) has said that they are expecting quite a few dead bodies and that this is the reason they are trying to keep people out of the water...... again maybe chinese whispers..... not official or anything??? There are so many sad stories about families that are missing and what has happened to them. More sad news report, I suppose?
  • E.KE.K Posts: 7,709
    It's just so sad. Queensland is never going to be the same again. Ever. :(
    Sydney, Australia - March 12, 1998; Sydney, Australia - February 14, 2003; Sydney, Australia - November 8, 2006; Sydney, Australia - November 25, 2006;  Brisbane, Australia - November, 2009; Gold Coast, Australia - January, 2014

• Amazing footage of Suncorp Stadium on the news today, it is now a pool.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • TroubledSoulTroubledSoul Posts: 1,366

but scary if true.

my mate knows a nurse at the toowoomba hospital and apparently there were 30 something bodies there unreleased to the media on tuesday night
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.
    Amazing footage of Suncorp Stadium on the news today, it is now a pool.

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/20 ... statue.jpg
  • Amazing footage of Suncorp Stadium on the news today, it is now a pool.

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/20 ... statue.jpg

Saw that earlier today, gold.
    Wally Lewis stopped past some house and helped its residence in evacuating.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014