Australian floods!!!

Comments

• threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    Fucking hell! Leigh's mum used to live in Strathpine. Glad she moved to Townsville.

Still raining where you are, fishy? What suburb are you in?

yeah still raining, pretty heavy too. i live in springfield lakes, which is west kinda half way between Ipswich and brisbane city. so kinda right in the path of the flood waters. but we live pretty high here so there is no danger of going under, just roads out might get cut. the neighbour just went down to woolies and said it was pandemonium down there, people just buying everything, there was no bottled water left. maybe i should have thought about getting some supplies. oh well, looks like i might have to do a Bear Grylls and drink my own piss.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    BRISBANE RIVER BURSTS ITS BANKS. PARTS OF THE CITY EVACUATED!!!

kingtides tomorrow.. just awesome. :roll: :thumbdown:

stay safe brisbanites and all qlders.

hi to my family. :wave:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • heidihiheidihi Posts: 114
    ok so maybe it is now getting out of control

Via facebook
    All residents in low lying areas of Strathpine and Caboolture should evacuate immediately. Cars should be moved from low lying areas. The flood levels are expected to be greater than the 1974 floods. Do not stay in your homes please leave immediately.

they are just north of brisbane.

AAAHHHH!!! This is where I live but we are not in a low lying area..... people are shopping like it is the end of the world. There are scary predictions, I just hope the floods are not as bad as they are saying.
    “The human race has only one really effective weapon and that is laughter.” Mark Twain
  • AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    Stay Safe Queenslanders. Unfortunately this is far from over.It's hard to hope for the best when all the evidence points to an absolute disaster.
    Just keep the people around you alive. The rest can be replaced.
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Seeing tough old men totally devastated and trying not to cry when they talk is so fucking heartbreaking. :(
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • redrawredraw Posts: 1,280
    Here's a link that shows a bit of what these poor bastards are dealing with:

http://www.crikey.com.au/2011/01/11/fla ... toowoomba/

Not much will slow down mother nature when she's in one of these moods.....

Make it stop - enough already!!!!!
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    '03: Brisbane BEC Feb 8 '06: Brisbane BEC Nov 10 & 11 '09: Brisbane QSAC Nov 25
    '11: EV Solo Brisbane QPAC March 10, 12 & 13 '11: PJ20 Alpine Valley Sep 3 & 4
    '14: Gold Coast BDO Jan 19 EV Solo QPAC Feb 22, 23 & 25
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    Loulou wrote:
    Just heard that they are tying the crocs down in the Australia's Zoo so they can't escape?? :?

Won't they drown? :?

It's just devastating watching the coverage. My heart and thoughts are with those who've lost loved ones. Stay safe those of you are in the regions being affected.

Oh, and threefish, you could try filling the tub, sinks and other empty jugs and basins with water first. After that, you could drink the water from the tank in the toilette before you need to resort to drinking your own urine. Course, if you want to go all Bear Grylls first, be my guest ;):D Seriously though, stay safe.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    I hope all you Aussie people and your families are safe. Luckily my daughter who is traveling left Rockhampton a few weeks ago but she's a bit concerned about one of her friends who is in that area the last she knew.

To watch all you've worked for washed away must be heart breaking but to lose someone is unthinkable.
    Loulou wrote:
    Just heard that they are tying the crocs down in the Australia's Zoo so they can't escape?? :?

Won't they drown? :?

of course they will.

i suspect someone was pulling loulous leg with this little piece of info. ;)8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    This article also mentions tying up crocodiles at Australia Zoo

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/wo ... -brisbane/
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Death toll 10 including a 4 year old boy

78 people missing

75% of qld declared a disaster zone.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • stardust1976stardust1976 Posts: 1,301
    pjfan31 wrote:

78 people missing

it's so sad. I haven't really had much to do with any kind of news in the last few weeks, and all of a sudden heard about this, and watched the news and cannot believe it. I was in Townsville during the flooding from Cyclone Ellie in Jan 09, and this makes that look like a paddling pool. I can't imagine how those people are feeling, and the amount of water, and the strength of the water baffles me. Especially considering how inland Toowoomba is. It's just unbelievable. :(
    Especially considering how inland Toowoomba is. It's just unbelievable. :(

More so the fact it is at the top of the great dividing range. There is nothing above it, it is on the top of a mountain.

Lot of areas of Brisbane ate under water, with more on the way.
    ZiggyStar wrote:

doesnt make it so though zig.

it just sounds a bit hinky to me. tying up an airbreathing creature during a flood???

they might be containing them somehow but tying them up will at the least cause them distress, which limits greatly their capacity to breathe underwater for any extended amount of time. i cant imagine theyd be instilled with any confidence if theyre captors tie them up restricting their ability to get out of harms way. a struggling croc can drown relatively quickly... is all im saying.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    pjfan31 wrote:

78 people missing

it's so sad. I haven't really had much to do with any kind of news in the last few weeks, and all of a sudden heard about this, and watched the news and cannot believe it. I was in Townsville during the flooding from Cyclone Ellie in Jan 09, and this makes that look like a paddling pool. I can't imagine how those people are feeling, and the amount of water, and the strength of the water baffles me. Especially considering how inland Toowoomba is. It's just unbelievable. :(

Yeah Townsville didn't get that much in 2009. Nothing too dramatic. Ingham just north of us copped it really bad. About 60% of Queensland was declared a disaster zone with that flood.

That 4 year old drowned because he fell out of a boat as they were trying to move to safety. Poor little bugger.

More so the fact it is at the top of the great dividing range. There is nothing above it, it is on the top of a mountain.

Lot of areas of Brisbane ate under water, with more on the way.

theyve still got rivers inland and high up. a flooded river doesnt care how high it is or how far from the coast.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    ZiggyStar wrote:

it just sounds a bit hinky to me. tying up an airbreathing creature during a flood???

they might be containing them somehow but tying them up will at the least cause them distress, which limits greatly their capacity to breathe underwater for any extended amount of time. i cant imagine theyd be instilled with any confidence if theyre captors tie them up restricting their ability to get out of harms way. a struggling croc can drown relatively quickly... is all im saying.

Yeah I agree with you. My mum and I googled it today after loulou posted that because we both thought "huh? how do you tie up a crocodile" but could only find that article.

I remember seeing Steve Irwin talk about a big flood that hit the zoo back before they had the stadium seating etc and he was saying how he was swimming in the water in the dark while it was pissing down and trying to find his crocs to get them to safety. I don't remember him mentioning tying them up though. Maybe they coax them into big wire cages?
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:

Yeah I agree with you. My mum and I googled it today after loulou posted that because we both thought "huh? how do you tie up a crocodile" but could only find that article.

I remember seeing Steve Irwin talk about a big flood that hit the zoo back before they had the stadium seating etc and he was saying how he was swimming in the water in the dark while it was pissing down and trying to find his crocs to get them to safety. I don't remember him mentioning tying them up though. Maybe they coax them into big wire cages?

what a crazy bastard he was. :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

I know!! :lol: I loved Steve Irwin. I was just on the Australia Zoo website and saw his big smiley excited face and felt sad. We lost a good one there.
    ZiggyStar wrote:

I know!! :lol: I loved Steve Irwin. I was just on the Australia Zoo website and saw his big smiley excited face and felt sad. We lost a good one there.

yes we did.

this morning i was talking to the toddlermonster and she asked what was wrong with my eyes. so i told her about the floods. she thinks for a minute and then says polar bears can swim and theres not much water at the gold coast(shed just been up to seaworld). she also assured me the stingrails can swim too. so in her little world it was gonna be ok. :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    ZiggyStar wrote:

WAIT????? WHAT?????? Steve Irwin's dead? When the fuck did that happen??
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    ZiggyStar wrote:

I don't know if you're serious or not?

I remember when I heard big Kev died and I said 'What, big Kev? is he dead?' no one could believe I hadn't heard.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
    pjfan31 wrote:

I don't know if you're serious or not?

I remember when I heard big Kev died and I said 'What, big Kev? is he dead?' no one could believe I hadn't heard.

Big Kev too?? fuck!

next you'll tell me Peter Brock and Michael Jackson are dead too.

seriously though it's freakishly quiet here now, like the calm before the storm. hasn't rained much for a while not alot of action happening now on my facebook, even the Qld police updates have been slow, the news seems to just be showing the same footage over and over. bit nervous to what i may wake up to in the morning.

Big Kev too?? fuck!

next you'll tell me Peter Brock and Michael Jackson are dead too.

seriously though it's freakishly quiet here now, like the calm before the storm. hasn't rained much for a while not alot of action happening now on my facebook, news seems to just be showing the same footage over and over. bit nervous to what i may wake up to in the morning.

Good news the rain has slowed down. Bit scary that they're saying the worst will be on Thursday. I have a friend in Brisbane who is due to have a baby this week. She's praying she doesn't go into labour....and if she does, she's praying the roads will be open. She's not keen on a home birth!
  • SEnding good vibes to all our Aussie Mates. I hope that all of you make it out of this mess safely!!!
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    See I'm crazy but not that crazy! :lol: I thought they might drown too??? :?
    ZiggyStar wrote:

“ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    Very sad to hear that the death toll has risen, so sorry for their families. :( Not sure how true it is but just heard that Victoria is in for some bad rain too?? And they also said that South Oz isn't exempt either.. :? I live next to the Port River......well looks like I'll be making a raft today for myself, the baby, the dogs, the cat and my birds just in case.

http://www.news.com.au/national/flood-c ... 5967988592
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
    Weather update, fishy?
    heard this morning the flood level for ipswich has been downgraded to 20.5 metres. and the port of brisbane has been closed. also heard thorpie might be making a comeback... coincidence??? ill let you decide. ;):lol:

keep those socks dry qlders.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    Weather update, fishy?

Fine and sunny today. They are saying the rivers might not peak til Friday or Saturday now. And will not be back to normal height til late next week. It's crazy seeing the pictures. I think we are pretty much cut off where we are. The back road to get south is cut, west towards Ipswich is cut, north towards brisbane through the centenary motorway and Ipswich highway are both cut. Might be able to get out east, but not sure the road gets pretty low at one point and there is a small creek at the bottom that bianca said it was near the road yesterday morning so if its got higher today it may be cut. Lucky we don't need to get any where.