I fuckin' feel like talking about YIELD....

Comments

• GoatboyGoatboy Posts: 509
    I was around for the original thread created by fanch. I remember the first listening party we had...so much fun.

I cannot even begin to describe the love I have for this album. It literally has everything... introspection, weirdness, rockin riffs, anthems. There is just so much going on in these tunes, so many layers. The songs on their own are amazing, but the production is so inspired and absolutely top notch. I love the little weird things going on in these songs, all the stuff in the background. I was just about to list all those little bits and sounds but I'd be here all day.

as someone said before...yield is the bible
  • durkin09durkin09 Posts: 36
    All those yesterdays

Such an intense build-up to one of the best lyrics..

..It's no crime to escape!
    CANADIAN CONTENT

13/09/2005 - 9/05/2006 - 10/05/2006 - 24/06/2008 - 25/06/2008 - 12/08/2008 (Eddie) - 13/08/2008 (Eddie) - 8/21/2009 - 21/09/2011 - 23/09/2011

• Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    fanch75 wrote:
    I'll just chime in and say that if YIELD has to share a re-release with another album, I'll be pissed. If YIELD has to share a re-release with No Code or something I'll just chalk it up to Pearl Jam becoming "the man" and I'll send letters to Ed asking where his Republican Party Membership card is.

Monkey Wrench Sessions are collectively a great idear. I like the idea of more footage from the SVT filming sessions. Just more more more. Throw it out there, run it up the flag and those of us who adore YIELD will salute it.

I'll close with this. Last week, a few bros and I were talking about our favorite songs. GIVEN TO FLY was on my list. I'll C&P from that thread to this one.

Have a great holiday weekend, all.

GIVEN TO FLY - Pearl Jam: Favorite Pearl Jam song. The song just soars, especially the chorus. Best version I've ever heard is the one on PJ's Single Video Theory DVD. I'll never forget driving my '98 Chevrolet Tracker to meet my parents at Kentucky Lake for vacation that summer, the sun was setting and I was driving along side the Land Between The Lakes with this song (and the rest of the YIELD album) on; what a great memory.

the jesus of YIELD has spoken
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    just re-watched svt the other day, man i woulda killed to have seen 'em during the yield tour! unfortunately i only became a fan with the release of said album.
  • letsongsprotestletsongsprotest Novi, MI Posts: 548
    this album takes you places.......
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    This album is the key to life.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    http://www.fivehorizons.com/archive/articles/gw0398.shtml
    A great read if you have never read it. (THX 5 Horizons)

PJYield.jpg
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    Is fanchy coming to PJ20? Please say yes :P
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,170
    How about ending it over minute later with Hummus? I fucking love hummus! I remember being at a friends house and we were listening to Yield playing Sega. "All those yesterdays" ends and were all into the game and Hummus comes on like a minute and a half later. We thought that we were so cool that we found a hidden track. How much elapsed time goes past before Hummus comes on? GO!!!
    PJ_Lukin wrote:
    http://www.fivehorizons.com/archive/articles/gw0398.shtml
    A great read if you have never read it. (THX 5 Horizons)

PJYield.jpg
    Thanks for that! I had never read it before.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • RFTCRFTC Posts: 723
    just listened to faithful, in hiding, and mfc in less than 2 hours on pjradio, these are greatest hits type shit, give it the fk up for yield, 'the most underrated album of the 90's' for mankind muchless pj'rs...
    San Diego Sports Arena - Oct 25, 2000
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival - May 1, 2010
    Alpine Valley Music Theater - Sep 3-4 2011
    Made In America, Philly - Sep 2, 2012
    EV, Houston - Nov 12-13, 2012
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
    Fenway Night 1, August 2016
    Wrigley, Night 1 August 2018
    RFTC wrote:
    yield, 'the most underrated album of the 90's'
    Agreed.
  • bambam87bambam87 Posts: 545
    this thread should be on the first page of the porch at all times
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    My son just turned 2. I am very eager to find out what he thinks about YIELD someday.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • bradM73bradM73 Posts: 19
    :lol: sounds awesome, dude.

had sex to low light once-- like 10 yrs ago. one and only time to a pearl jam song....for now anyway. :D

i had sex to lukin once, but unfortunately i finished way before the song did.

That's some funny sh@t
    9/17/1995 Tad Gormley Stadium New Orleans, LA, 10/7/1996 F.L. Baseball Stadium Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, 8/26/1998 Blossom Music Center Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, 9/22/1998 Coral Sky Amplitheatre West Palm Beach, FL, 9/23/1998 Coral Sky Amphitheatre West Palm Beach, Florida, 8/9/2000 Mars Music Amplitheatre West Palm Beach, Florida, 4/11/2003 Sound Advice Amplitheatre West Palm Beach, Florida, 5/13/2006 New England Dodge Music Arena Hartford, CT., 5/24/2006 TD Garden Boston, Mass, 9/3/2011 Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI.
    9/4/2011 Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI.
  • Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    "Stunned by my own reflection
    It's looking back, sees me too clearly
    And I swore I'd never go there again"

While I loyally followed this band pretty much from the onset of their career I would say it wasn't until Yield came out that I became a passionate fan of the band. Maybe it was the circumstances of the time that made this album speak to me at a deeper level like no other album of theirs had up to that point, but even to this day when I listen to this album it just feels like home to me.

To me, Yield is a perfect reflection of Pearl Jam the band and what their all about musically. I always remember seeing post on the message boards back in the day polling people on their opinion as to what the perfect playlist was to introduce a newbie to...and I always thought to myself "why not just give them a copy of Yield and be done with it?"

Yield is the Abbey Road (or maybe Let it Be depending on my mood) of PJ's career.

RM
  • What is kind of sad to me about Yield is that it marks the last album that is totally complete from start to finish. I think the band did an amazing job of putting out full albums that flowed well and captured our imagination...

The last few all had some moments, but nothing near the first 5. Sorrry to the Binaural fans out there, but that is where the drop off in albums starts. We have had plenty of great tracks since Yield but nothing that has truely stopped me in my tracks from start to finish.

Seriously, pick a playlist of one song off of each album... Your songs may change every day off the first 5 albums... not so much off the last 4!
    9.29.96, 8.28.98, 9.1.00, 7.5.03, 9.30.05, 6.1.06, 6.19.08, 6.20.08, 6.24.08, 10.27.09, 10.28.09, 10.30.09, 5.20.10, 9.3.11, 9.4.11, 9.2.12, 7.19.13...

2013- Brooklyn2, Philly1, Philly2, NOLA
  • Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    What is kind of sad to me about Yield is that it marks the last album that is totally complete from start to finish. I think the band did an amazing job of putting out full albums that flowed well and captured our imagination...

The last few all had some moments, but nothing near the first 5. Sorrry to the Binaural fans out there, but that is where the drop off in albums starts. We have had plenty of great tracks since Yield but nothing that has truely stopped me in my tracks from start to finish.

Seriously, pick a playlist of one song off of each album... Your songs may change every day off the first 5 albums... not so much off the last 4!

I agree with pretty much everything you've said but we'll agree to disagree on where PJ's drop off started, if there truly has been a drop off. I consider Binaural to be a masterpiece in their catalog and every song off the album is even more spectacular in a live setting.

In my opinion, while I genuinely love Riot Act for what it is, if I had to pick, this would be the album where I would say there was a drop off. And their S/T and Backspacer albums, while great albums in their own right, to me sound like the band realizing their F-up with Riot Act and maybe trying a little too hard to put a more listener/radio friendly touch to the albums.

RM
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    I fuckin' feel like watching SINGLE VIDEO THEORY. Any takers?
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • YieldInHidingYieldInHiding Posts: 1,839

While I loyally followed this band pretty much from the onset of their career I would say it wasn't until Yield came out that I became a passionate fan of the band. Maybe it was the circumstances of the time that made this album speak to me at a deeper level like no other album of theirs had up to that point, but even to this day when I listen to this album it just feels like home to me.

To me, Yield is a perfect reflection of Pearl Jam the band and what their all about musically. I always remember seeing post on the message boards back in the day polling people on their opinion as to what the perfect playlist was to introduce a newbie to...and I always thought to myself "why not just give them a copy of Yield and be done with it?"

Yield is the Abbey Road (or maybe Let it Be depending on my mood) of PJ's career.

RM

Beautiful. I like your style dude.
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    Admittedly, it's been a long time since I fuckin' talked about YIELD.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    Always loved this album. But it wasn't till recently I discovered Yield's true magic. It's now become more favorite Pearl Jam album. And thanks to Dave I will be having the chance to spin this beauty soon! :mrgreen:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
    rhinomagic wrote:
    Wait, when do we start talking about Jedi?

That old thread was brilliant!

Agreed...there was a lot of chemistry in the older threads. While I do enjoy talking about YIELD, I miss the old conversation back in the day.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Hard to believe this iconic thread only has 6 pages.
    fanch75 wrote:
    I'll just chalk it up to Pearl Jam becoming "the man" and I'll send letters to Ed asking where his Republican Party Membership card is.

That is just a smidgen of the brilliance I miss.

:lol:

PBM

• Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    I've loved this band from the beginning and for some odd reason it took me a while to warm up to Yield. When it came out, I kinda fell off for a bit. I revisited it a while later and realized what a masterpiece it was! It's probably the one I listen to the most nowadays, so I give it major love.

Also, IMHO, Binaural is the baby-making soundtrack.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936

RM

Same with me....Yield was really special at the time it came out...spoke to me directly and made me realize that PJ was going through life right along with me. I owned Yield before I owned Ten or Vs.

I think that Binaural was awesome. I was disappointed when it came out but I've learned that you have to let the music sink in for awhile before forming too many opinions. Riot Act is a different feel but still a great album. I've always considered "Cropduster" to be a defining PJ song. That song captures the maturity of Riot Act in my opinion.

Loved Avocado.....Backspacer is the only weak point in their catalog to me. I just don't think they were ready yet....Eddie was ready....but not Pearl Jam.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Juan GodoyJuan Godoy Posts: 490
    :lol: sounds awesome, dude.

had sex to low light once-- like 10 yrs ago. one and only time to a pearl jam song....for now anyway. :D

i had sex to lukin once, but unfortunately i finished way before the song did.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • :lol: sounds awesome, dude.

and the time of the sex was identical to the time of the song?? the best 4 minutes EVER!!! poor girl
    I got memories i got shit
  • Down1Down1 Posts: 40
    I just re-bought this at Easy Street this weekend...LOVE this album, wore out my original and am now happy again...it's been playing in my car all week!
    Memorial 7/21/98, MGM 10/22/00, Key 11/5&6/00, EV Showbox 7/9/01, Key(Groundworks)10/22/01, Showbox 12/6/02, Key 12/8&9/02, MSG 7/9/03, Benaroya 10/22/03, Gorge 9/1/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Gorge II 7/23/06, EV Vancouver 4/08, San Fran 8/28/09, Key 9/21&22/09, EV Benaroya 7/15&16/11