Becoming Vegetarian!

Comments

• Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    shortstack wrote:
    try going raw!
    I wouldn't do that completely, but I've seen quite a few recipes in RAW-focused cookbooks that interested me.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    I plan on adding a chopped yellow onion. What veggies would you put in there?

If you are cooking it one night for lunch the next day would you brown the onions first?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I tried veganism a couple years ago, and I lasted a day because I couldn't find anywhere to eat. A vegan soup/salad place, and another bistro that serves vegan fare opened near my metro stop within the past couple years. I think this is an auspicious time to try new foods as I'll have back-up places to eat if I am not able to cook.
    Chipotle is a good place - you can get your food vegan - get veg. tacos or burrito, tell them to leave off the sour cream and chesese, and get guacamole and chips. Their chips and guacamole are awesome.

Stronghearts in Syracuse is really good.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    I've got some questions for you vegetarians out there.

I've become vegetarian for an environmental class project, and it's going great so far (a week) but I'm wondering how you guys keep up your protein intake. Besides beans, eggs and peanut butter, I don't know what else to eat for the protein. Can anyone help?
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,796
    Jeanwah wrote:

I've become vegetarian for an environmental class project, and it's going great so far (a week) but I'm wondering how you guys keep up your protein intake. Besides beans, eggs and peanut butter, I don't know what else to eat for the protein. Can anyone help?
    Tofu
    Seitan
    Soy Milk
    And well, there are other ways a girl can get her protein but we will keep it clean ;):lol:
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Get_Right wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:

Tofu
    Seitan
    Soy Milk
    And well, there are other ways a girl can get her protein but we will keep it clean ;):lol:
    Good grief, that's the list? :( And I imagine eggs are a no-no to a vegan.

I guess cows will always have to watch their back as long as I'm roaming around.

;)
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    I believe most veggie burgers have protein. Try Boca or Morningstar burgers or their other meatless products. I mostly get my protein from peanut butter, nuts and beans.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,951
    Jeanwah wrote:

Quinoa is almost a perfect food. It has 14g per 3.5 oz. You have to find the right recipe that you like. If dairy is on the list, go with milk and yogurt.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    shortstack wrote:
    try going raw!
    I wouldn't do that completely, but I've seen quite a few recipes in RAW-focused cookbooks that interested me.

there is a phenomenal raw foods restaurant in NYC....pure food & wine....seriously delicious!!!
    i am not a raw foodie, i am not even a veggie, though we are considering returning....but the food is just that damn good.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,649
    Jeanwah wrote:

Frances Moore Lappe's books Diet For a Small Planet and Recipes for a Small Planet have lots of good ideas for vegetarian food combinations (such as combing rice and beans) to form proteins. Lots of good recipes there.

I eat vegetarian most of the time but find I get weak if I don't add a little poultry, eggs and goat cheese to my diet. I did a 3 month raw food diet once and felt great but my weight went down to 138 pounds and at five ft. ten and a half inches that was too scrawny.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Thanks guys.
    Quinoa - what is that? How does it taste?
    And Brian - which one of those two small planet books would you recommend over the other? I checked the first one out on Amazon and it looked good, but wondering which one is better.
  • NoCode416NoCode416 Posts: 416
    Curious what vegetarians thinks about the paleo diet?

For those unfamiliar with paleo, the idea is that humans evolved on a certain diet and therefore should continue with the hunter-gatherer type diet (meat, veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds). Absolutely no grains.

If you step back and think about it (and are open to considering that humans did evolve), paleo makes an awful lot of sense. Humans have been eating grains for less than 1% of it's existence. Evidence suggests that a number of physiological problems are likely a result of diverting from the diet that we evolved from.

Thoughts?
  • Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Thanks guys.
    And Brian - which one of those two small planet books would you recommend over the other? I checked the first one out on Amazon and it looked good, but wondering which one is better.

Quinoa is a very small grain that the Incas actually considered sacred thousands of years ago. It doesn't have much of a flavor. I actually try to make a little pilaf out of it. I'll make it in veggie broth, and add some onions, carrots, really whatever. A lot of times I'll eat it in the morning for breakfast to get the protein in. Also, I have some whey protein powder that I'll throw in a blender with some frozen fruits and kale. You can add a little almond milk (or regular milk if you're just going vegetarian) and it's really good! Plus, lentils have great protein- I have a reallllly good recipe for vegetable lentil soup if needed! Plus, as someone said, Boca burgers and Morningstar products are packed with protein.

I also do take some vitamins to go along with it as well. If you need any recipe recommendations- let me know!
  • supadupasupadupa Posts: 377
    Jeanwah wrote:

Two words: Greek yogurt.

One of my favorite foods ever. I could never go vegan because I'd miss my dairy too much.
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Thanks guys.

Quinoa- an interesting, ancient grain. Little round pellet-like stuff. It works well in vege stews and soups.

Diet or Recipes...Ohh, tough choice. Diet For.. is more well known and great for info on combinations that form complete proteins yet I like Recipes For.. for the, you guessed it, recipes and that's the one I use more often. Both should be easy to find and inexpensive but if not, PM me- I should have an extra copy of Recipes For... lying around. Sounds like a cool project by the way. :)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,181
    Jeanwah wrote:

After becoming vegetarian for the second time and for good this past February I'll try to help. It just happens on Friday Dr Oz 10/28 episode #3034

http://shows.ctv.ca/DrOz.aspx they spoke about proteins and where to best get it from. They were saying to have a bean party, spinach...kale...broccoli...raw leafy greens can give you all the proteins you will need. Calcium you can get from raw leafy greens, almond/rice milk and tofu. You can get your carbs/energy from orange, blueberry, beets (we juice beets and carrots and drink it straight....the trash we use to help orchids and other plants grow) whole grains, greens, string beans and pears, tomatos carrots, and mangos. He also spoke of fats that we do need and we can get those from walnuts, seeds, avocados, olives, hemp, flax and chia.

We quite surprised to know the way we've been eating all falls in line with what he was saying and the experiment he did on that episode to lower b/p, triglycerides, and cholesterol. Good luck.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

brianlux wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Thanks guys.

Quinoa- an interesting, ancient grain. Little round pellet-like stuff. It works well in vege stews and soups.

Diet or Recipes...Ohh, tough choice. Diet For.. is more well known and great for info on combinations that form complete proteins yet I like Recipes For.. for the, you guessed it, recipes and that's the one I use more often. Both should be easy to find and inexpensive but if not, PM me- I should have an extra copy of Recipes For... lying around. Sounds like a cool project by the way. :)
    I got Recipes for 1 cent used on Amazon, not bad, just $4 total with shipping, I can deal with that if I don't find the recipes for my taste!
    Thanks Brian!
    g under p wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:

After becoming vegetarian for the second time and for good this past February I'll try to help. It just happens on Friday Dr Oz 10/28 episode #3034

http://shows.ctv.ca/DrOz.aspx they spoke about proteins and where to best get it from. They were saying to have a bean party, spinach...kale...broccoli...raw leafy greens can give you all the proteins you will need. Calcium you can get from raw leafy greens, almond/rice milk and tofu. You can get your carbs/energy from orange, blueberry, beets (we juice beets and carrots and drink it straight....the trash we use to help orchids and other plants grow) whole grains, greens, string beans and pears, tomatos carrots, and mangos. He also spoke of fats that we do need and we can get those from walnuts, seeds, avocados, olives, hemp, flax and chia.

We quite surprised to know the way we've been eating all falls in line with what he was saying and the experiment he did on that episode to lower b/p, triglycerides, and cholesterol. Good luck.

Peace

How does that beet and carrot juice taste, g? I just can't bring myself to do that. I drink Vruit, similar to V-8, but tastes a LOT better. http://www.americansoy.com/VruitMain.html
    Jeanwah wrote:
    g under p wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:

Peace

How does that beet and carrot juice taste, g? I just can't bring myself to do that. I drink Vruit, similar to V-8, but tastes a LOT better. http://www.americansoy.com/VruitMain.html
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

I'm on my phone and I don't type very well. We juice the beets and carrots skin and all. The beets to me tastes much better kind of sweet compared to the carrots. We just make sure it's stirred before drinking. Don't get the beet juice on your clothes it's hard to get out.

Peace

g under p wrote:
    I'm on my phone and I don't type very well. We juice the beets and carrots skin and all. The beets to me tastes much better kind of sweet compared to the carrots. We just make sure it's stirred before drinking. Don't get the beet juice on your clothes it's hard to get out.

Peace
    My computer died and I'm using a borrowed one without a mouse. I feel like a vegetable. Please don't throw me in the vege stew!

But yes, beets and carrots are one of my favorite juices too! Also good with an apple tossed in. A friend sold me her spare Champion juicer years ago. I'm VERY lucky to have gotten it. Makes great juice!

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    i need some good healthy tips from vegetarians. what do i need to do? what makes you feel great? what do i not want to do? i do foresee myself consuming very little to no red meat at all.

"one day a light switch went on" since then (almost a month now) my life has changed

what vitamins do i need to take? why? & what do you do?

here is my typical daily foods:
    cheerios & banana
    spinach salad
    spinach salad
    spinach salad
    spinach salad
    i like broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, mushrooms & fruits like kiwi, apples, oranges, bananas, grapes, & melons

i am enjoying visiting the produce section daily
    it is a positive healthy feeling & calming
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    i need some good healthy tips from vegetarians. what do i need to do? what makes you feel great? what do i not want to do? i do foresee myself consuming very little to no red meat at all.

"one day a light switch went on" since then (almost a month now) my life has changed

cheerios & banana
    spinach salad
    spinach salad
    spinach salad
    spinach salad
    i like broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, mushrooms & fruits like kiwi, apples, oranges, bananas, grapes, & melons

I'm loving eating lots of fruit this summer, as well. Blueberries, peaches, watermelon (little nutrition- lots of flavor!) apricots. Yum!

I'm told that as we age, vitamin D3 becomes important. B complex, and C are big on my list as is calcium/magnesium. I was taking fish oil but due to the oceans being over-fished I've switched to adding organic golden flax seed meal to my diet- which are great in pancakes- (any form of flax is good but I like the taste of golden flax meal the best) which is High in Omega 3 which is what the fish oil was for.

I'm with you on cutting out red meat, Chadwick. I very rarely eat red meat- almost never.

brianlux wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

cheerios & banana
    spinach salad
    spinach salad
    spinach salad
    spinach salad

I'm loving eating lots of fruit this summer, as well. Blueberries, peaches, watermelon (little nutrition- lots of flavor!) apricots. Yum!

I'm told that as we age, vitamin D3 becomes important. B complex, and C are big on my list as is calcium/magnesium. I was taking fish oil but due to the oceans being over-fished I've switched to adding organic golden flax seed meal to my diet- which are great in pancakes- (any form of flax is good but I like the taste of golden flax meal the best) which is High in Omega 3 which is what the fish oil was for.

I'm with you on cutting out red meat, Chadwick. I very rarely eat red meat- almost never.
    yes!

i will write down golden flax seed on my next grocery list.

i love blueberries, peaches & apricots, however like last year the peaches i pick out seem to be fantastic while in the produce section but once i am home & wash the fruit & bite into the peaches i am surely saddened to find out the peaches are dry & even the seed is broke open & the fruit doesn't meet my expectations. but i do love a good peach. in the old days of my life i'd dip the peaches in sugar :mrgreen:

i haven't had sugar since i been on this vegy kick. this means zero cups of hot tea. this was a huge undertaking as i was big into hot teas & consumed a good 10-15 large cups a day. cold tea for me requires zero sugar. basically a good 500 calories per day just in sugar. not cool

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    Good for you Chadwick!

I haven't had red meat in like 16 years...I do eat birds and fish on occasion...
    Anyways, my diet is made up of all fresh produce, and I try to buy local and organic when possible.
    It sucks having to go to the store every damn day, but it's also fun because you get to come up with creative ways to cook all that fresh stuff.
    Eating a fresh diet with little to no meat...you'll feel amazing after a couple weeks! You won't want to go back to your old ways. :D
    chadwick wrote:
    brianlux wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

cheerios & banana
    spinach salad
    spinach salad
    spinach salad
    spinach salad

yes!

i will write down golden flax seed on my next grocery list.

i love blueberries, peaches & apricots, however like last year the peaches i pick out seem to be fantastic while in the produce section but once i am home & wash the fruit & bite into the peaches i am surely saddened to find out the peaches are dry & even the seed is broke open & the fruit doesn't meet my expectations. but i do love a good peach. in the old days of my life i'd dip the peaches in sugar :mrgreen:

i haven't had sugar since i been on this vegy kick. this means zero cups of hot tea. this was a huge undertaking as i was big into hot teas & consumed a good 10-15 large cups a day. cold tea for me requires zero sugar. basically a good 500 calories per day just in sugar. not cool

How about a little honey in the tea- or are you going 100% totally sugar free? Good for you if you are! I should try that again myself!

i would love honey in my tea but i am taking a extend break altogether from anything sugary

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Maybe you can learn to like your hot tea without sugar or honey. You already enjoy the cold stuff without it.

If I'm drinking hot tea, I can't have anything in it. Ruins the flavor of the tea for me.
    Maybe you can learn to like your hot tea without sugar or honey. You already enjoy the cold stuff without it.

If I'm drinking hot tea, I can't have anything in it. Ruins the flavor of the tea for me.
    i've read this about you before. it has helped me & has given me hope :lol:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    chadwick wrote:

cheerios & banana
    spinach salad
    spinach salad
    spinach salad
    spinach salad

you need more variety than that! :lol:

check out: http://www.whfoods.com/

http://www.whfoods.com/foodadvisor.php

you'll need to take some type of b12 if you go strict vegan. i get mine from nutritional yeast because the supplements upset my tummy.
    did you see me? i saw you.