Becoming Vegetarian!

Comments

• ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Hang on in there Helen, you're doing really well :thumbup:
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    Hang in there...try one new vegetarian/vegan recipe a day, that should help.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    im a stage 5 vegan.. i dont eat anything that casts a shadow. thats why i eat all my meals at night time. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    im a stage 5 vegan.. i dont eat anything that casts a shadow. thats why i eat all my meals at night time. 8-)

Dunno...you seem awful interested in the bacon thread.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

yeah but i wasnt eating the thread. besides it was the boobs not the bacon that drew my interest. ;)8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378

yeah but i wasnt eating the thread. besides it was the boobs not the bacon that drew my interest. ;)8-)

My apologies...
  • Thanks all :D Quorn pepper steaks have just got me back on track... they're actually really really nice :oops: kinda like a fairly average burger but for someone who hasn't eaten meat in a month and a half, it was pretty amazing :mrgreen::mrgreen: I feel like I've had my meat fix. I've got some marinated tofu pieces to try and also some quorn chicken gougons. I feel a bit better now :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Thanks all :D Quorn pepper steaks have just got me back on track... they're actually really really nice :oops: kinda like a fairly average burger but for someone who hasn't eaten meat in a month and a half, it was pretty amazing :mrgreen::mrgreen: I feel like I've had my meat fix. I've got some marinated tofu pieces to try and also some quorn chicken gougons. I feel a bit better now :)

I use the ordinary quorn pieces (I buy the frozen ones) ... in curries (Indian and Thai), fajitas etc. You can use marinated tofu in Thai curries as well.

I use tofu hotdogs as a quick snack ... they can also be used in pasta dishes chopped up where bacon or ham may have been used (can bring some up with me in a couple of weeks if you want to try them!).

I found the best burgers to be the Tesco own ones. I usually have some in the freezer in the summer to take with me when I'm invited to bbqs. For faux sausages I go with cauldron.

I may have posted some of this stuff already ... but thought I'd repost as you are getting the meat cravings!
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • chime wrote:
    I use the ordinary quorn pieces (I buy the frozen ones) ... in curries (Indian and Thai), fajitas etc. You can use marinated tofu in Thai curries as well.

I use tofu hotdogs as a quick snack ... they can also be used in pasta dishes chopped up where bacon or ham may have been used (can bring some up with me in a couple of weeks if you want to try them!).

I found the best burgers to be the Tesco own ones. I usually have some in the freezer in the summer to take with me when I'm invited to bbqs. For faux sausages I go with cauldron.

I may have posted some of this stuff already ... but thought I'd repost as you are getting the meat cravings!
    Yeh, that's brilliant, there's so much info in this thread. We don't get to tesco often but I will have to give that a go. I made a thai curry the other night but chickened out of using the tofu :oops: do you use it as you would chicken pieces?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    I'm excited for you, Helen. It sounds like you were trying new things right from the get go, and I think that's the best way to approach a new lifestyle. Have fun and I wish for you all tasty colorful dishes!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • I stopped eating land meat 8 years ago and my body has thanked me.

Vegetarian Times magazine and .com is an excellent resource for recipes and general nutrition.

My protein comes from eggs, beans, tofu and the occasional soy meat.

The key to cooking many tofu dishes is expelling the water from the tofu block. I cut the block into thirds, ending with 3 rectangles not three huge strips. I then put the tofu on top a paper towels and a wire cookie cooling rack. Let it sit for 30 or more minutes. The tofu then becomes a bit stiffer and won't crumble when grilling.

Good luck.
  • Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I'm excited for you, Helen. It sounds like you were trying new things right from the get go, and I think that's the best way to approach a new lifestyle. Have fun and I wish for you all tasty colorful dishes!
    Thank you theoceansmademe... what if it's pre marinated? Is it just good to go then?

Thanks Ms H :mrgreen: I think that's why I haven't gone back on meat yet cos I'm still trying new stuff. I'm gonna wait til I've tried all the veggie stuff and can't get my meat satisfaction from anything I've tried and THEN I'll go back on... if ever.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    chime wrote:

Yeh, that's brilliant, there's so much info in this thread. We don't get to tesco often but I will have to give that a go. I made a thai curry the other night but chickened out of using the tofu :oops: do you use it as you would chicken pieces?

Yeah you can use the pre-marinated stuff like chicken ... would work in stir fries etc as well.
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • chime wrote:
    Yeah you can use the pre-marinated stuff like chicken ... would work in stir fries etc as well.
    Thank you :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    QUORN is amazing!!!!!! I absolutely love it... seriously, you'd never have to eat meat again. Their mince is pretty much the same... the chicken gougons and the meatballs... omg the meatballs :oops: :P

Anyway, yep, still doin the vegetarian thing! I reckon I've lost quite a bit of weight since giving up too (clothes are falling off me and this is the only thing I've done differently!) The other half has also tried most of the veggie products and he loves them too. Since I used the quorn mince at the hen party for the chilli wraps a few people have said they've since bought it.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,951
    QUORN is amazing!!!!!! I absolutely love it... seriously, you'd never have to eat meat again. Their mince is pretty much the same... the chicken gougons and the meatballs... omg the meatballs :oops: :P

Anyway, yep, still doin the vegetarian thing! I reckon I've lost quite a bit of weight since giving up too (clothes are falling off me and this is the only thing I've done differently!) The other half has also tried most of the veggie products and he loves them too. Since I used the quorn mince at the hen party for the chilli wraps a few people have said they've since bought it.

If you haven't yet, try making Tempeh Reubens sandwiches. Yum!
    Go Beavers wrote:

what's that? :mrgreen:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    QUORN is amazing!!!!!! I absolutely love it... seriously, you'd never have to eat meat again.

Sweet! Don't forget the many other mock meats though. Have you tried them all?

Here's my short list from the thread I started last April "Vegetarian items for the meat eaters"
    http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=130097
    Go Beavers wrote:

There's a local all vegetarian cafe near me. That's my favorite dish.

Tempeh is bought, sliced in half and seared and topped with swiss cheese, sauerkraut and 1,000 island dressing on toasted bread (if I recall correctly). Not what I'd normally think to put together, but MAN is it addictive! I travel about 20 miles round trip to go there just for that.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,181
    So it looks like I'm doing it!

I was a really big meat eater... didn't consider food a meal unless there's meat in it :mrgreen: but we ate so much meat over Christmas (honestly, sometimes it was just plates of meat) that now I can't even imagine ever eating it again. So I decided to give up meat for a week (will be there on Tuesday) and can't really see myself going back on it.

I've already discovered a few foods that I'd never have tried before and have even bought some veggie burgers :mrgreen:

Anyway, I know there are a few veggies here and was just wondering if there are any tips. Seems to me a lot of vegetarian recipes seem to be quite fattening or full of sauce, which I wasn't really in the habit of doing! I'm getting married in three months so could really do without putting on weight in the process :mrgreen:

Do I have to worry about any implications of cutting meat out? I'm not gonna be overly zealous about reading labels and stuff like that though... and surely chicken stock doesn't count as meat???! And I'm probably gonna keep fish in my diet for a while (although I never eat it too often anyway)

And for those of you who read this and think 'she'll never last', I normally do anything I say I'll do... or I wouldn't go to the trouble of saying it! 8-)

I've done it once again first time 3 years this time for good. I saw the movie *Food* Inc then *Earthlings* and you'll understand.

Here's my thread on the movie.. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=151655

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

CJMST3K wrote:
    QUORN is amazing!!!!!! I absolutely love it... seriously, you'd never have to eat meat again.

Here's my short list from the thread I started last April "Vegetarian items for the meat eaters"
    Go Beavers wrote:

Tempeh is bought, sliced in half and seared and topped with swiss cheese, sauerkraut and 1,000 island dressing on toasted bread (if I recall correctly). Not what I'd normally think to put together, but MAN is it addictive! I travel about 20 miles round trip to go there just for that.

Here's my recipe:

One 8 oz. Package Tempeh, sliced into sandwich sized pieces baked in the following:
    1/2 cup water
    1/3 cup soy sauce
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1/2 teaspoon caraway
    2 teaspoons grainy mustard
    1 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    bake 40 min @350.

Here's what you put on it with kraut and swiss cheese (I like mine in a panini grill):

2 tbsp ketchup
    1 tbsp low fat mayonnaise
    1-2 tsp sweet pickle relish – 3-5
    ¼ tsp dried mustard

double this
    CJMST3K wrote:

Go Beavers wrote:

Nope, haven't tried them all but I reckon I will.... I'm still discovering plenty at the mo. But I'm always keeping this thread at the ready for info for when I'm having one of my 'inspirational cooking' weeks :mrgreen: they don't seem to come along too often these days though :mrgreen:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Go Beavers wrote:

Here's my recipe:

One 8 oz. Package Tempeh, sliced into sandwich sized pieces baked in the following:
    1/2 cup water
    1/3 cup soy sauce
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1/2 teaspoon caraway
    1 cloves garlic, minced
    bake 40 min @350.

Here's what you put on it with kraut and swiss cheese (I like mine in a panini grill):

2 tbsp ketchup
    ¼ tsp dried mustard

double this
    Thank you :D what kinda bread do ya do it in?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    [quote="g under p"

I've done it once again first time 3 years this time for good. I saw the movie *Food* Inc then *Earthlings* and you'll understand.

Here's my thread on the movie.. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=151655

Peace[/quote]
    Thanks G... I'll keep that one in mind. I like shocking films that have an effect... can only handle one every few months though.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    Congrats on sticking with it, it's a great way to make a positive change. Very cool to see how dedicated you are! Also, it's nice to see all the veg recipes popping up :D
    Congrats on sticking with it, it's a great way to make a positive change. Very cool to see how dedicated you are! Also, it's nice to see all the veg recipes popping up :D
    Thank you :) seriously, even if I don't stick to it, I'm really glad I did it. Just had the quorn chicken balls tonight and the other half kept begging me for more :mrgreen: they were pretty damn good!

I've had some pretty amazing salads too... Friday I'd a mackerel and boiled egg salad... it was gone in about 3 seconds :mrgreen:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Go Beavers wrote:

Here's my recipe:

1/2 cup water
    1/3 cup soy sauce
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1/2 teaspoon caraway
    1 cloves garlic, minced
    bake 40 min @350.

2 tbsp ketchup
    ¼ tsp dried mustard

double this
    Thank you :D what kinda bread do ya do it in?

Any rye bread, dark or light.
    I'm going to try veganism for 30 days (inspired by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's 30-day Vegan Challenge book.) I'll start in mid-October, and will come here for inspiration from seasoned vegans.

I'm very excited to try new foods, and to get more energy from a whole foods plant based diet. If it feels like a good lifestyle fit for me who knows what will happen after the 30 days. :)
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Just got back from my occasional 1 hour jaunt to the Harrison Street Cafe to get my choice of about 20 different all vegetarian items. Had the "black bean burger" which is made from scratch. ...almost had the Beer Battered Tofu, but opted for the burger. I'm so happy that this region I moved to exactly 10 years ago happens to have so many all vegetarian restaurants which are awesome.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Just got back from my occasional 1 hour jaunt to the Harrison Street Cafe to get my choice of about 20 different all vegetarian items. Had the "black bean burger" which is made from scratch. ...almost had the Beer Battered Tofu, but opted for the burger. I'm so happy that this region I moved to exactly 10 years ago happens to have so many all vegetarian restaurants which are awesome.
    I tried veganism a couple years ago, and I lasted a day because I couldn't find anywhere to eat. A vegan soup/salad place, and another bistro that serves vegan fare opened near my metro stop within the past couple years. I think this is an auspicious time to try new foods as I'll have back-up places to eat if I am not able to cook.
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    try going raw!
    did you see me? i saw you.