Becoming Vegetarian!

Comments

• redrock wrote:
    redrock wrote:
    Helen.... chicken stock counts as meat for veggies.... as does beef stock, certain soups/broths, Bovril/OXO.

Just say that, for the moment at least, you will not be including meats in their solid form in your diet (roasts, chops, sausages, etc.).
    Yep, just like a vegetarian :D8-)

Not if you're using chicken stock! :mrgreen:
    ah it's like being a buddhist... you can be as much of a vegetarian as you want to be :D . When I was a kid, not eating meat was enough to count as one... so in my head it still does :mrgreen:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • I've not read through the whole thread, but I thought I'd throw my penny's worth in....

I gave up 13 years of vegetarianism about two years ago. It was a pretty huge decision to make, but I just couldn't justify it anymore. I came to realise that my more 'natural' and wholesome meat free diet was in fact a bit of a fallacy. Browsing through the ingredients list for whatever meat substitute I was eating, it dawned on me how lucky I was to live in a country where we even have products like that. Would I be eating like that if I lived in a remote part of Siberia? I think not. The fact of the matter is some people have no other choice but to eat meat due to lack of crops, and with that I pretty much eliminated the idea from my mind that it was somehow wrong to eat meat. Sure it's not nice that animals have to die for food, but if you take a look around in nature, that is exactly what happens, it sucks, but that's life.

A few other realisations followed.......

If you eat dairy products you are supporting the beef industry. Female cows have to give birth in order to produce milk, and if those calves are male they are used for their meat. Same goes for eggs - when chicks hatch the females will be used for laying eggs, whilst the males are used for meat. Suddenly my hands weren't quite so clean! And let's not forget all the small animals churned up in farm machinery when crops are harvested - is it ok to kill some animals and not others?

So in order for me to eat the staple parts of my vegetarian diet - eggs, dairy, grains, fruits, vegetables, animals still end up dying; which got me thinking why not just eat the meat then? I've hardly got a clean conscience.

I just want to make clear that this is just MY experience with vegetarianism. I'm not criticising others who choose not to eat meat - I know there are various reasons why people choose vegetarianism/veganism. But I do feel pretty confident in my belief that it's not morally wrong to eat meat.
    :mrgreen: Oh I've no moral problem with eating meat at all... it's always happened and will always happen... survival! I haven't given up for moral reasons at all... it's still going but I feel pretty weak the past couple of days :oops: struggling to concentrate and stuff but i t could be the time of year.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    The girlfriend and I were pescetarians for a while there. Still am for the most part, but we decided we needed more protein in our diets so we've been buying local meat from the farms around the valley, or not too far outside that bring their food in. Humanely raised, no additives, and vegetarian fed are our selling points.

We still are eating a high amount of tofu because that shit can be done very well, it's cheap, and it's extremely versatile...but man, even though it's slightly and under particular circumstances, I am glad to be back on the meat wagon. I missed you burgers and steaks.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • dcfaithful wrote:
    The girlfriend and I were pescetarians for a while there. Still am for the most part, but we decided we needed more protein in our diets so we've been buying local meat from the farms around the valley, or not too far outside that bring their food in. Humanely raised, no additives, and vegetarian fed are our selling points.

We still are eating a high amount of tofu because that shit can be done very well, it's cheap, and it's extremely versatile...but man, even though it's slightly and under particular circumstances, I am glad to be back on the meat wagon. I missed you burgers and steaks.
    :mrgreen: Can't say I've ever had tofu and not a clue what it might taste like.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • skyeriverwinterskyeriverwinter Posts: 1,894
    edited October 2011
    Post edited by skyeriverwinter on
    dcfaithful wrote:

Don't let all the picky eaters in this world ruin it for you before you try it. It's very high in protein, can be used for nearly anything and if you know how to prepare it, it can be rather tasty and substantial.

I can send you some recipes if you're interested. PM me.

For example, right now for lunch I am eating shells stuffed withe enchilada flavored tofu, tomatoes, onions, and cheese. It's delicious.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • BinGnarlyBinGnarly Posts: 508
    My one year was January 1st. Ill admit for the last few weeks with all the holidays I ate some meat. Now I try and keep it mostly Veg but from time to time ill eat meat.... Especially Venison. I love Venison. But my problem with meat isn't the killing of the animal (unless its done inhumanly) it's the shit they pump into these animals. I don't want that going into my body.
    Shows:
    San Diego 2003
    Grand Rapids 2004
    Grand Rapids 2006
    Detroit 2006
    Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."
    BinGnarly wrote:
    my problem with meat isn't the killing of the animal (unless its done inhumanly)

Unfortunately, in most cases I think it is.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    dcfaithful wrote:
    BinGnarly wrote:
    my problem with meat isn't the killing of the animal (unless its done inhumanly)

I started reading her books and watched the movie about her (on HBO)...really and truly amazing person who has changed slaughter houses: http://www.grandin.com/
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    BinGnarly wrote:
    My one year was January 1st. Ill admit for the last few weeks with all the holidays I ate some meat. Now I try and keep it mostly Veg but from time to time ill eat meat.... Especially Venison. I love Venison. But my problem with meat isn't the killing of the animal (unless its done inhumanly) it's the shit they pump into these animals. I don't want that going into my body.

I hear ya'! That's why I stopped eating people.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
    4and20 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    BinGnarly wrote:

I started reading her books and watched the movie about her (on HBO)...really and truly amazing person who has changed slaughter houses: http://www.grandin.com/

I'll have to check that out more thoroughly when I'm at home.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    BinGnarly wrote:

Them pumping that shit into them is pretty inhumane too. Have you seen the size those chickens grow? The poor things can't even fucking walk. Forced to live in their own excrement and just sit and await a brutal death. Yeah, that sounds like something we should support. :roll:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    VoidOfMan wrote:
    You don't win friends with salad.

*starts conga line*

*sings*

You don't win friends with salad... You don't win friends with salad... You don't win friends with salad...

I have a T-shirt that says "I DO win friends with salad." :mrgreen:
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • well am still coping anyway... it's actually a pretty easy thing to give up.. ya just stop! Everyone's been really supportive too although I'm not making a big deal. Even my other half has been trying the veggie stuff... and liking quite a lot of it.

To be honest, I think I mainly like it cos I'm discovering new foods and new recipes and stuff :mrgreen:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    I've been a strict vegetarian for 20 years. As I never liked vegetables, I found that there's lots of "mock" meat out there to try. Some are great! Some are passable. Some are not so good. I think you're in Europe, so not sure if the selection is the same as here in the states, but I can list many products that may help you benefit from my two-decades of faux meat research.

...the cool think about mock meats is that it's like Diet Coke. Once you get used to the change, you no longer really crave "real" coke.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Any help would be brilliant, thank you :D I don't really fancy 2 decades of research!

On a side note, I'm kinda breaking out in spots at the moment, I'm obviously deficient in something :oops:

google here I come :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438

Tofu pretty much tastes like whatever you cook it in. Plain tofu have very little taste. One of the best gateway tofu dishes is scrambled tofu - plenty of recipes for this on the net. The other night in NYC we had General Tso's tofu (tofu cooked like General Tso chicken - sweet, savory and fried, and very tasty). It can be blended and used in muffins or pie, baked, marinated.... very versatile form of complete protein.

Oh, while I'm thinking about it, another thing that is complete protein is Quinoa - grain from South America - something of an acquired taste at first, but healthy

If you're not feeling great after an initial switch to vegetarian, be sure you are eating enough food. Non-meat items are often less calorie-dense than meat and you may just not be getting enough calories. I work out every day (I teach aerobics) and I feel like I'm eating all the time despite being slim, because I burn 800 calories a day extra, just teaching.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • JaneNY wrote:
    Tofu pretty much tastes like whatever you cook it in. Plain tofu have very little taste. One of the best gateway tofu dishes is scrambled tofu - plenty of recipes for this on the net. The other night in NYC we had General Tso's tofu (tofu cooked like General Tso chicken - sweet, savory and fried, and very tasty). It can be blended and used in muffins or pie, baked, marinated.... very versatile form of complete protein.

Oh, while I'm thinking about it, another thing that is complete protein is Quinoa - grain from South America - something of an acquired taste at first, but healthy

If you're not feeling great after an initial switch to vegetarian, be sure you are eating enough food. Non-meat items are often less calorie-dense than meat and you may just not be getting enough calories. I work out every day (I teach aerobics) and I feel like I'm eating all the time despite being slim, because I burn 800 calories a day extra, just teaching.
    I've heard of Quinoa... but again never had it.

One good thing about being vegetarian is the amount of money saved... we just did a shop with the same money we always spend and we got soooooo much more than usual just by cutting out meat for one of us :mrgreen:

I have actually been eating less since the switch cos I seem to crave less snacks and junk food :D

Wow, I didn't realise tofu was so versatile... I just imagined it was simply used as a chicken substitute. Thanks so much, that's really good to know.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    It would be tough to be a vegetarian in the Midwest. Unlike my experiences on the West Coast where people actually consider vegetarians, they are few and far between here.
  • :mrgreen: Oh I've no moral problem with eating meat at all... it's always happened and will always happen... survival! I haven't given up for moral reasons at all... it's still going but I feel pretty weak the past couple of days :oops: struggling to concentrate and stuff but i t could be the time of year.

So how come you're doing it?
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Any help would be brilliant, thank you :D I don't really fancy 2 decades of research!

Here's a thread I started a while back:

"Vegetarian items for the meat eaters"
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=130097
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • :mrgreen: Oh I've no moral problem with eating meat at all... it's always happened and will always happen... survival! I haven't given up for moral reasons at all... it's still going but I feel pretty weak the past couple of days :oops: struggling to concentrate and stuff but i t could be the time of year.

So how come you're doing it?
    Ate WAY too much meat over christmas and decided I couldn't face it for a while... I don't know if this is a permanent decision at all. I'm going to see how it goes, if I start to feel better I'll stick to it but if I don't and if I start craving meat again I might go back. The other half had a really big steak last night and I actually wanted to lick it :mrgreen: it looked amazing! So we'll see!

Thanks CJM, plenty of companies there for me to look out for, that's pretty cool!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Rival178Rival178 Posts: 608
    Day #17, and for me so far it's been really easy!

hope it's still going well for you!
  • dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    Rival178 wrote:

Great job! If it's for you, keep it up! :D
  • Rival178 wrote:

I'm about 21 days in I think... and yep, so far been pretty easy! I definitely wasn't getting enough fruit and veg before and now I'm at least getting plenty of that and learning how to get more in my diet... cos I'm not buying meat I can afford some of the more 'exciting' fruit and veg and also seeds and stuff to make it more interesting! I think the only difference is that it requires quite a bit more thought when it comes to cooking... but I'm sure that'll get easier. Eggs are probably my main source of protein at the moment though (although many docs recommend anyway) and I'm still yet to try the other stuff... so still quite a bit of a way to go!

Watching the other half eat the steak though was not fun :oops: :mrgreen:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Why do I have to be such a stubborn fucker? Can anyone remember why I'm doing this? I'm finding it really boring now and food is really dull :oops: I just want a chicken burger... or a big fat juicy steak... even duck... and I fucking hate duck :? :mrgreen:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    we've have two + feet of snow on the back porch.

but i'm going to shovel a walkway to the grill saturday and do up a nice juicy steak. if you are in the area, stop by and i'll toss a second on for you.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Why do I have to be such a stubborn fucker? Can anyone remember why I'm doing this? I'm finding it really boring now and food is really dull :oops: I just want a chicken burger... or a big fat juicy steak... even duck... and I fucking hate duck :? :mrgreen:

yes... you pigged out on meat over the festive season and cant stand the sight of it right now.

red meat is disgusting to look at. for me it started as an aesthetic choice. now i just cant tolerate it. ive also just replaced all our cows milk with soy cause i discovered they kill all the boy calves. as if thinking about how they kept the cows lactating wasnt bad enough. here they call the doomed calves bobby calves and there seems to be a push to deny the newborn sustenance for the time it takes to ship them to the abattoir. just a disgusting thought.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Why do I have to be such a stubborn fucker? Can anyone remember why I'm doing this? I'm finding it really boring now and food is really dull :oops: I just want a chicken burger... or a big fat juicy steak... even duck... and I fucking hate duck :? :mrgreen:

yes... you pigged out on meat over the festive season and cant stand the sight of it right now.

red meat is disgusting to look at. for me it started as an aesthetic choice. now i just cant tolerate it. ive also just replaced all our cows milk with soy cause i discovered they kill all the boy calves. as if thinking about how they kept the cows lactating wasnt bad enough. here they call the doomed calves bobby calves and there seems to be a push to deny the newborn sustenance for the time it takes to ship them to the abattoir. just a disgusting thought.
    Thanks 81 :mrgreen: see ya there.

Cate, I dunno why, but the humanitarian stuff just doesn't get to me :oops: I've been a meat eater from a meat eating country who was brought up on a farm with cows and stuff... I've always understood that animals are for our eating pleasure :oops: :mrgreen: although it is a nice thought that there are a few more animals in this world cos I've given up meat. Today I finally stepped it up a notch and bought tofu and quorn :oops: :shock: so we'll see... cos I'm starting to struggle a bit.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    it never worried me either. I just figured as an omnivore we eat what we eat and that includes doe eyes cow. But last week when they said they kill the new born boy calves i decided couldnt and wouldnt support that.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say