Becoming Vegetarian!

Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
edited July 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
So it looks like I'm doing it!

I was a really big meat eater... didn't consider food a meal unless there's meat in it :mrgreen: but we ate so much meat over Christmas (honestly, sometimes it was just plates of meat) that now I can't even imagine ever eating it again. So I decided to give up meat for a week (will be there on Tuesday) and can't really see myself going back on it.

I've already discovered a few foods that I'd never have tried before and have even bought some veggie burgers :mrgreen:

Anyway, I know there are a few veggies here and was just wondering if there are any tips. Seems to me a lot of vegetarian recipes seem to be quite fattening or full of sauce, which I wasn't really in the habit of doing! I'm getting married in three months so could really do without putting on weight in the process :mrgreen:

Do I have to worry about any implications of cutting meat out? I'm not gonna be overly zealous about reading labels and stuff like that though... and surely chicken stock doesn't count as meat???! And I'm probably gonna keep fish in my diet for a while (although I never eat it too often anyway)

And for those of you who read this and think 'she'll never last', I normally do anything I say I'll do... or I wouldn't go to the trouble of saying it! 8-)
The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
Verona??? it's all surmountable
Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
Wembley? We all believe!
Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
Chicago 07? And love
What a different life
Had I not found this love with you
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pescetarian is your new label, not vegetarian :D

good for you, by the way. I couldn't do it... but I also think that not killing animals and eating them is ultimately a good thing.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    I tried it. Lasted 4 days then went straight to mcdonalds. I don't eat vegetables so there's not many options once I take away the meat.
    I'll be back
  • pescetarian is your new label, not vegetarian :D

good for you, by the way. I couldn't do it... but I also think that not killing animals and eating them is ultimately a good thing.
    :mrgreen: Whatever! Ya know what I mean :mrgreen: anyway I will give up fish after a while... well I haven't eaten any yet and may not... what about the chicken stock? What does that make me? lol

It's something I've never even considered :? but I tend to make big decisions like this suddenly and then just stick with them. Can't say I've any moral or health reasons to do it really :|

Thanks though :)

Nothingman54 what about pasta? or fake meat? :D I dunno what's going on with me, I saw a recipe for olive and lentil burgers and started craving it... don't think I've ever even had a bloody lentil in my life :mrgreen:

And nope, not pregnant!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • jshinjshin Posts: 1,759
    I make a pretty good avocado/artichoke/veggie pizza I stink at writing out recipes but I'll give it a try..I'll even leave out the part about bacon pieces.
    I ain't got no fly'n shoes..

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Had a nice rib eye the other night. It was so good
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • jshin wrote:
    I make a pretty good avocado/artichoke/veggie pizza I stink at writing out recipes but I'll give it a try..I'll even leave out the part about bacon pieces.
    :mrgreen: cool, sounds good!

81, seriously my OH made bacon sandwiches new years morning... so if that didn't tempt me, your steak is on a road to failure! :mrgreen:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Mmmm...it was tender and juicy with a hint of blood on the plate.

Give it time, you will be back to the dark side
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    Mmmm...it was tender and juicy with a hint of blood on the plate.

Give it time, you will be back to the dark side
    Maybe, who knows! I never put any pressure on myself when I do stuff like that. Like when I gave up smoking, I gave myself little milestones and just stuck to them and eventually stopped making them.

Like I said, this isn't for health or moral reasons so it won't be a big deal to me if I fall off the wagon (unlike smoking) but it's something I'd like to try and see what the big deal's about!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    I saw a recipe for olive and lentil burgers and started craving it... don't think I've ever even had a bloody lentil in my life :mrgreen:
    If you start eating that sort of stuff I don't want to stand behind you in a lift. :crazy:
  • nuffingman wrote:
    I saw a recipe for olive and lentil burgers and started craving it... don't think I've ever even had a bloody lentil in my life :mrgreen:
    If you start eating that sort of stuff I don't want to stand behind you in a lift. :crazy:
    :mrgreen: strangely I seem to have less of that in the past week... it's not like I've been downing sprouts with a straw or anything!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • PJGirl321PJGirl321 Posts: 377
    All I can say is be sure you are getting enough protein in your diet. And be careful about your choices because most non-meat sources of protein are high in fat.

I am a healthy eater but would never give up meat, poultry or fish. No offense to anyone but most vegetarians I know have an unhealthy look about them. They also complain of catching a lot of colds, etc.
  • PJGirl321 wrote:
    All I can say is be sure you are getting enough protein in your diet. And be careful about your choices because most non-meat sources of protein are high in fat.

I am a healthy eater but would never give up meat, poultry or fish. No offense to anyone but most vegetarians I know have an unhealthy look about them. They also complain of catching a lot of colds, etc.
    No, I know what ya mean... they've often got that vampire look about them :oops: and I've always been a bit of a tank... never catch anything, even though I work in a big open air conditioned office where everyone's constantly sick (but they ARE English ;) )! So we'll see how that goes!

If I ever thought I was getting weak or losing my immunity, I'd eat a whole cow full of steak :mrgreen:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    PJGirl321 wrote:

I know what you mean about some looking a bit unhealthy but my daughter has been a veg for about 4 years and looks as fit as a butcher's dog. Probably not the right comparison. I have no idea what she eats.
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    edited January 2011
    I've been vegetarian for 10 years now. I have no regrets, it was the healthiest decision I've ever made. I used to get sinus infections and colds all the time before I quit eating meat...I've never gotten another one since. :mrgreen:
    Some tips if you decide to try it...do it gradually. I cut out red meat and fish first (since I didn't like them all that much anyway), then pork, then chicken. I was surprised to find that I really didn't miss any of it all that much.
    There's tons of vegetarian recipes on cooking.com, allrecipes.com and peta.org. I take a multivitamin supplement and flaxseed oil as well. I get protein through beans, soy and peanut butter. The key is balance...make sure to get a good supply of fruits and veggies every day, grains, etc. I would recommend Boca Burgers or Morningstar. Silk soy milk is good too. Veggie stir frys are good. Chinese and Indian food usually have a lot of meat-free options you can try. And, of course, there's always pasta.
    PM me if you want any recipes. People were worried that I'd become anemic or sickly, but it hasn't happened!
    Post edited by iamica on
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    PJGirl321 wrote:

So how many vegetarians do you know?

I couldn't disagree more. The vegetarians I know are the healthiest people I know. Of course the majority of vegetarians I know including me are athletes - runners, cyclists, and triathletes. You can't look like a vampire if you are outside several days per week training. Most of the meat eaters I know are fat couch potatos who can barely walk around the block.

Vegetarian forms of protein may contain fat (like meat protein) but they are the healthy fats. So eat avocados, peanut butter, Boca burgers, black beans (all beans for that matter), nuts, etc. Just don't pig out on them. Everything in moderation. Oh yeah, and hummus is one of my diet staples.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • PJGirl321PJGirl321 Posts: 377
    PJGirl321 wrote:

So how many vegetarians do you know?

I couldn't disagree more. The vegetarians I know are the healthiest people I know. Of course the majority of vegetarians I know including me are athletes - runners, cyclists, and triathletes. You can't look like a vampire if you are outside several days per week training. Most of the meat eaters I know are fat couch potatos who can barely walk around the block.

Vegetarian forms of protein may contain fat (like meat protein) but they are the healthy fats. So eat avocados, peanut butter, Boca burgers, black beans (all beans for that matter), nuts, etc. Just don't pig out on them. Everything in moderation. Oh yeah, and hummus is one of my diet staples.

I know a lot vegetarians...I am simply stating that if you make this life choice be wise about it. I am an atlete as well - a competitive cyclist and all the training that goes along with it. Animal protein is part of my balanced diet and I am far from a couch potato. It's good that you are going about this in the right way - that is my point. A vegetarian can make the same mistakes that a "couch potato" makes -- by not making the right food decisions about their diets.
  • gearboygearboy Posts: 349
    why lable yourself a "vegetarian" - just consider yourself a person who eats discriminatively.

that way you can eat what you want without guilt or judgment
    IT'S NO CRIME TO ESCAPE!!!!!!!!!
    03/22/94, 01/14/95, 09/24/96, 08/25/98, 08/26/98, 08/31/98, 09/01/98, 09/22/98, 09/23/98, 08/09/00, 08/10/00, 08/12/00, 08/20/00, 08/21/00, 04/11/03, 04/13/03, 07/08/03, 07/09/03, 09/28/04, 09/29/04, 10/06/04, 10/08/04, 09/28/05, 05/20/06, 05/03/10, 05/04/10, 05/10/10
  • _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    gearboy wrote:
    why lable yourself a "vegetarian" - just consider yourself a person who eats discriminatively.

Nice point. Why must people label themselves?

On NYE, the restaurant where I work had a set menu and for four courses the prices ranged from $55 to $75. The woman at my very first table said, "what do you have that's vegan?" I would've liked to have said, "nothing. Go away." But my boss is a great guy & went out of his way to make sure we had something vegan for those few out there. So her meal was only $34 for two courses. I totally lost money on that meat-free table. :(
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    gearboy wrote:

I certainly agree with this; the way it should be. But since it's not, I've been labeled a vegetarian for the past 4 1/2 years. I love it. I haven't looked back for a second. This is a personal choice though, so don't do it for anyone else, do it solely for yourself. It is not "difficult," you just have to be passionate and dedicated to your decision. Figure out what you want out of it. Figure out what you want to eat. Personally, my reasonings largely include animal rights, so I eat "nothing with a face." This includes fish for me. I also choose to exclude milk and eggs, and yes, chicken and/or beef stock.

As for meals, in the US there is soy EVERYTHING. Think about a meal you would normally eat, and then replace it with soy/veggie chicken or a burger or ground "meat" etc.. This is a really easy way to start out. Other staples for me include (obviously fruits and veggies) a lot of breads and nuts and greens. For people who enjoy cooking and have a lot of "stuff" to work with in their kitchens, there are tons of great cookbooks out there, too.

Lastly, be smart! Get your vitamins. Make sure you are nutritionally balanced, and if you're not feeling better than ever, check out some supplements to add to what you're missing. GOOD LUCK!!! Enjoy it! :clap: :thumbup:
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438

On NYE, the restaurant where I work had a set menu and for four courses the prices ranged from $55 to $75. The woman at my very first table said, "what do you have that's vegan?" I would've liked to have said, "nothing. Go away." But my boss is a great guy & went out of his way to make sure we had something vegan for those few out there. So her meal was only $34 for two courses. I totally lost money on that meat-free table. :(

I don't think that person mentioned vegan to label themselves. Sounds like they just wanted to make sure they got something they could eat. That's not unreasonable is it? Sorry you lost money though - maybe they should have left a little extra if you treated them well.

Helen - one of the most awesome cookbook writers is Isa Chandra Moskowitz. Her recipes WORK, and are delicious. In particular Vegan Brunch has really delicious recipes for those of us that prefer the savory to the sweet, though there are good muffin recipes too (chocolate raspberry, for one). Her book Veganomicon is full of gourmet (and not difficult) recipes. I believe she also has a blog called the Post Punk Kitchen.

You can definitely be healthy without meat/animal products. The Indian subcontinent is full of millions upon millions of vegetarians and their food is to die for. I don't think a whole continent can be wrong!
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    gearboy wrote:

I don't quite understand what you are saying.
    You don't like vegans and want them to go away?
    You want vegans to eat meat at your restaurant or not eat at all?
    What if a meat eater had asked for a meat dish to be prepared a special way? Would you have felt so disapprovingly of him/her?
    Why the vindictiveness towards someone who doesn't want to eat animal products?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    gearboy wrote:

I don't quite understand what you are saying.
    You don't like vegans and want them to go away?
    You want vegans to eat meat at your restaurant or not eat at all?
    What if a meat eater had asked for a meat dish to be prepared a special way? Would you have felt so disapprovingly of him/her?
    Why the vindictiveness towards someone who doesn't want to eat animal products?

I'm talking about NYE specifically. The chef/owner went out of his way to put together a great 4-course menu that he was proud of. No substitutions on anything. It is this small town restaurant's chance to make some good money. If a person (vegan or not) doesn't see something they like on the menu, they should leave so that the table may be occupied by someone who does want to drop $100 on dinner (that's including wine & tax).
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,987
    My 15 year old daughter is quite healthy, a high school athlete, and a vegetarian. You dont need meat to get your protien, yada yada yada...

She doesnt look anything like a skeleton, quite the contrary. She is 5'7" and can squat 160#. Just do your homework and make sure you get what your body needs and what you want.

With that being said, I used to be nothing but a wild game eater, but gave up hunting and most meat eating. Over the holidays I have eaten more meat (prime rib at mothers, turkey dinner at in-laws, more prime rib at brothers) than in the last 6 months combined, and I feel miserable. My body is not used to processing meat any more and I have felt more lethargic and bloated. Just doesnt feel right anymore.

Couple that with watching a few documentaries (Food Inc, King Corn, etc) and I am more than willing to keep meat to a bare minimum to keep this engine rolling! ;)

I also recommend D3 3000-5000 iu's as a supplement. I buy alot of vitamins from Bodybuilding.com and they do a great job offering vegan (no gelatin caps) supplements.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Rival178Rival178 Posts: 608
    Very cool, my last time to eat meat was Dec 31st. I'm only 2 days In but excited to continue.
  • say_hisay_hi Posts: 312
    It's really easy to be a vegetarian (I've been one for almost 7 years) and I consider it the best decision of my life! If you want to go vegetarian (and stay vegetarian) just learn about what goes into meat production (and all the political/environmental/health implications that go along with it) and the more you learn the more it all makes sense. Good luck!!!
    4/30/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/4/06 (Letterman Mini-Concert), 5/5/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10
  • I commend you for this attempt. Personally I will never do this, out of a sort of checks and balances sort of thing, think about that.. there's gootttttta be so many omnivores as well as so many vegetarians, in order to keep a true balance. So for me, it's all about how things balance out, even how I eat, more veggies, but definately meat, of all sorts. Good luck and I hear you'll feel better. let us know how things go.
  • You don't win friends with salad.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • iamica wrote:
    I've been vegetarian for 10 years now. I have no regrets, it was the healthiest decision I've ever made. I used to get sinus infections and colds all the time before I quit eating meat...I've never gotten another one since. :mrgreen:
    Some tips if you decide to try it...do it gradually. I cut out red meat and fish first (since I didn't like them all that much anyway), then pork, then chicken. I was surprised to find that I really didn't miss any of it all that much.
    There's tons of vegetarian recipes on cooking.com, allrecipes.com and peta.org. I take a multivitamin supplement and flaxseed oil as well. I get protein through beans, soy and peanut butter. The key is balance...make sure to get a good supply of fruits and veggies every day, grains, etc. I would recommend Boca Burgers or Morningstar. Silk soy milk is good too. Veggie stir frys are good. Chinese and Indian food usually have a lot of meat-free options you can try. And, of course, there's always pasta.
    PM me if you want any recipes. People were worried that I'd become anemic or sickly, but it hasn't happened!
    Thank you :) some nice tips there. I think it would be easy to fall into the 'pasta trap' :mrgreen: so I'm gonna try and avoid that at all costs. I've never been one for beans and grains and all that so now I'm gonna have to figure them out and what to do with them... some tips on that would be brilliant. I've discovered I love hummous and falafel so that's something :mrgreen:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • gearboy wrote:

:mrgreen: good point... although if I'd titled the thread 'becoming discriminitive... need help' the thread may have taken a strange turn :mrgreen:

I don't really do guilt very well anyway :oops: :D I don't put myself under much pressure with stuff like this... if it starts to feel like a chore I probably won't do it but right now, I'm really enjoying it.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • I certainly agree with this; the way it should be. But since it's not, I've been labeled a vegetarian for the past 4 1/2 years. I love it. I haven't looked back for a second. This is a personal choice though, so don't do it for anyone else, do it solely for yourself. It is not "difficult," you just have to be passionate and dedicated to your decision. Figure out what you want out of it. Figure out what you want to eat. Personally, my reasonings largely include animal rights, so I eat "nothing with a face." This includes fish for me. I also choose to exclude milk and eggs, and yes, chicken and/or beef stock.

As for meals, in the US there is soy EVERYTHING. Think about a meal you would normally eat, and then replace it with soy/veggie chicken or a burger or ground "meat" etc.. This is a really easy way to start out. Other staples for me include (obviously fruits and veggies) a lot of breads and nuts and greens. For people who enjoy cooking and have a lot of "stuff" to work with in their kitchens, there are tons of great cookbooks out there, too.

Lastly, be smart! Get your vitamins. Make sure you are nutritionally balanced, and if you're not feeling better than ever, check out some supplements to add to what you're missing. GOOD LUCK!!! Enjoy it! :clap: :thumbup:
    Thank you, really helpful post :) I don't think I've ever had soy anything... so that's gonna be fun :D . If I'm starting to struggle I might just go to a doctor and get some kinda proper 'plan' or something.

JaneNY I've been to the post punk kitchen website and it's brilliant.. that's where I saw the olive lentil burger that looked amazing :D I'll check out that other one... thank you!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life