Milwaukee Brewers + Zack Greinke = Awesome!!

Comments

• RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    RW81233 wrote:
    I'd prolly actually put Seattle ahead of Philly, I'm betting they'd rather the Mariners win than the Seahawks (could be wrong).

based on you thinking "they'd rather the mariners win than the seahawks?"

considering your complete and utter fraudulence you should be banned from making assumptions on such a thing. what do you know about baseball towns? you root for teams in all corners of the country. :roll:

seattle. :lol::lol::lol:
    well at least i can say that seattle is a great music town without getting yelled at...haha. nice use of emoticons.
    good point about philly being a good college bball town...wonder why baltimore isnt. yeah their teams aren't going to win the national title, but neither are philly teams (maybe 'nova once in awhile and st. joe's that one time threatens), and they've sent 5 teams (umbc, coppin, morgan, umd, gtown) from the local area to the dance recently with no big following outside of umd and georgetown. it'd be cool if the local matchups were big deals like the big 5.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067

And I'm really hankering to get out to Safeco for the Phils series this summer. I gotta make that work.
    def do it. you won't regret it at all. i happen to be out in seattle when the red sox where in town and i've never seen so many bandwagons fans the night when i went to a m's/red sox game. my girlfriend at the time got us seats in dead center field for 9 bucks. we sat bout 2 or 4 rows behind 4 "red sox fans".

btw-this was in 08 so the prices might have changed a bit
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• RW81233 wrote:
    good point about philly being a good college bball town...wonder why baltimore isnt. yeah their teams aren't going to win the national title, but neither are philly teams (maybe 'nova once in awhile and st. joe's that one time threatens), and they've sent 5 teams (umbc, coppin, morgan, umd, gtown) from the local area to the dance recently with no big following outside of umd and georgetown. it'd be cool if the local matchups were big deals like the big 5.

You make a good point about the lack of something like the Big 5 in Baltimore/Washington. Big missed opportunity.

As for Philly hoops teams with Final 4 aspirations, you continue to be blissfully ignorant, as Temple has been in 5 Elite 8's in the last 25 years (I think as many or more than Villanova).
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,595
    RW81233 wrote:

You make a good point about the lack of something like the Big 5 in Baltimore/Washington. Big missed opportunity.

As for Philly hoops teams with Final 4 aspirations, you continue to be blissfully ignorant, as Temple has been in 5 Elite 8's in the last 25 years (I think as many or more than Villanova).

they haven't won a tourney game in almost a decade now johnny. if i didn't live around here, i would be kind of ignorant to them too. ;)

just bustin' your chops. 1 week away :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
  • they haven't won a tourney game in almost a decade now johnny. if i didn't live around here, i would be kind of ignorant to them too. ;)

just bustin' your chops. 1 week away :mrgreen:

hehe - can't wait! I'll be sitting in those tiny seats designed for 8-year olds. Go Owls!
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    metsfan wrote:
    gabers wrote:
    Dear OP: You are welcome. Signed, battered wife syndrome Royals fans everywhere.
    wow they(royals fan) do exist! :P

good baseball towns

1. st. louis
    2. ny
    3. boston
    4. philly
    5. seattle

seattle???????

they almost lost their team 10 years ago. I've never been there, but I would not say that seattle is a baseball town. at all

philly isn't a baseball town either. the eagles own this city
    As for anyone who thinks Philly is not a baseball town is borderline retarded. Sorry, Fixer, we know you're not borderline. :thumbup:

Philly is a great sports town. Actually, I'm starting to go into Philly sports overload and am getting sick of talking about ourselves. Because, no, seriously, enough about us,......what do you think of us? :mrgreen: And I don't know how a town that had once had two baseball teams, two Negro league teams, and presently has the longest active baseball team in professional sports in North America to be located in the same city with the same nickname. Right, totally not a baseball town. :roll: Not to mention everything my dad, uncles, grandfather, great-uncles can tell me about how it used to be. Remember, we're the generation that are establishing that feeling again because when your team spends most of the 80's and 90's stinking up the joint it's easy to not be the #1 priority when it comes to sports in the city. And I really don't care if we're a football or baseball city - as long as there's a debate, it tells me that we care and that's all that matters to me. I got all hyped about a stupid fucking Union game. And I hate soccer! It's just that we get nuts about anything where we can get drunk and have some kind of civic pride in our city. At least that's me.

The only place I consider a baseball town, as FenwayFaithful's signature can attest to, is Boston. In all reality they could give a shit what the Pats or the B's do. The only thing that may come marginally close is the Celt's and I really don't know about that. And there's the whole part where they think they invented the game.

And I'm really hankering to get out to Safeco for the Phils series this summer. I gotta make that work.

PPS - Also, I have a Christmas card for all of you. Enjoy - http://sendables.jibjab.com/view/WxInNO384t6MH3KW8I8t

dude, you're nuts if you think philly isn't a football town.

I love the phils too, but the eagles will always be the top dog here...even when they suck.

sorry man, it's the truth
    RW81233 wrote:

georgetown isn't in baltimore. please don't compare philly and baltimore college hoops ever again (this coming from a guy that went to school in baltimore). I don't root for any of the philly colleges since I didn't attend any of them, but I don't think any US city can match the college hoops scene of philadelphia
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,987
    edited December 2010
    The Fixer wrote:

I love the phils too, but the eagles will always be the top dog here...even when they suck.

I never said it wasn't a football town.

And numbers don't lie - the leading ratings for all sports media(CSN, sports radio, merchandise, etc) in this city since '08 has been the Phils.

And this has been a "football town" - in your concept of the term - since Buddy. When they consistently starting winning. And who started it? Vermeil and his Super Bowl appearance. No one gave a flying fuck about the Birds compared to the Phils prior to then. There's a reason 2 million people showed up to a Flyers parade.

It all comes down to winning - how many really bad seasons when there was nothing to look forward to from the Birds since the Buddy Ryan era? 2, 3, 4 really bad seasons maybe? Even though I love Reid, it's not like they haven't been a good team before him. The Phils, on the other hand, how many winning seasons did they have through the 80's and 90's after the WS win? 4 or 5 maybe? Dude, I'm born and raised here, my family is the typical Philly family that was born here and grew up here, and unfortunately doesn't leave this city. I've been told of a day when the Phils were bigger than the Birds and it's happening again. It's only that the Eagles have been dominating the sports culture because the Phils sucked for the better part of the prior past 2 decades.

Even when the Birds suck? In 1998 there were blackouts in Philadelphia for the Eagles. So, that's not true.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
    A. I woke up and remembered that I forgot Temple in the post (which is a big forget considering they have the most D1 wins or something).

B. I wasn't comparing B'More and Philly basketball, I was just saying that Baltimore has a chance to emulate Philly basketball but doesn't. D.C. for that matter as well. If you want to discount G'Town and UMD as D.C. teams, then you could have Towson/Coppin/Morgan/Loyola, and GTown/Howard/UMD/GMU...I'm sure there's a 5th in each that's being left out. Either way the D.C. teams would stack up well with the Philly teams, but they don't have a "thing" against one another that people really get excited about - it's a bummer.
    The Fixer wrote:

And numbers don't lie - the leading ratings for all sports media(CSN, sports radio, merchandise, etc) in this city since '08 has been the Phils.

And this has been a "football town" - in your concept of the term - since Buddy. When they consistently starting winning. And who started it? Vermeil and his Super Bowl appearance. No one gave a flying fuck about the Birds compared to the Phils prior to then. There's a reason 2 million people showed up to a Flyers parade.

the merchandise crap is all because the team has been winning. the majority of phils fans will go away after this era of phillies baseball has ended (which might not be a bad thing...going to games last year was painful at times).

the eagles will always sell out and run this town. no matter how bad that team is, people will always show their support. the same can't be said for the phillies.
    RW81233 wrote:
    A. I woke up and remembered that I forgot Temple in the post (which is a big forget considering they have the most D1 wins or something).

B. I wasn't comparing B'More and Philly basketball, I was just saying that Baltimore has a chance to emulate Philly basketball but doesn't. D.C. for that matter as well. If you want to discount G'Town and UMD as D.C. teams, then you could have Towson/Coppin/Morgan/Loyola, and GTown/Howard/UMD/GMU...I'm sure there's a 5th in each that's being left out. Either way the D.C. teams would stack up well with the Philly teams, but they don't have a "thing" against one another that people really get excited about - it's a bummer.

GM isn't really DC is it? GW is. Is howard even D-1??

the baltimore schools are just plain awful
    The Fixer wrote:

the merchandise crap is all because the team has been winning. the majority of phils fans will go away after this era of phillies baseball has ended (which might not be a bad thing...going to games last year was painful at times).

the eagles will always sell out and run this town. no matter how bad that team is, people will always show their support. the same can't be said for the phillies.

Again, there were blackouts in 1998. Only 12 years ago, so that's not true. It comes down to winning. You think these Phillies fans just appeared out of no where? I can tell you of people who haven't been to a game in 20 years but can name you the shitty teams of the 90s, 80s, 70s, 60s. The point is it comes down to winning. I just think I'm talking to the wrong guy about this stuff because you already have a predisposed image of a "phillies fan" of today as well as the city as a majority(read:south jersey) when it comes to eagles fan behavior, aka a football mentality.
    And I would be more pissed off if the Phils were selling out when the team sucked. WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD WANT TO GO WATCH A SHITTY TEAM??? Hell, it happens even to the Yankees. You put out a poor product, no one will show up. No on in their right mind sells out 81 games with a bad product. That's apples to oranges compared to 8 games in football.

You think these Phillies fans just appeared out of no where?

Yes, I absolutely do. People that never even watched baseball are now super fans. I get sick reading FB posts from people that have no clue about baseball. Now everyone is a die hard phillies fan.

the phils are a fad that will pass. the eagles will always have more fans here.
    The Fixer wrote:

Yes, I absolutely do. People that never even watched baseball are now super fans. I get sick reading FB posts from people that have no clue about baseball. Now everyone is a die hard phillies fan.

Read what I just wrote. You don't think the Birds could not sell out again? Ya know why? It makes sense to invest in 8 games for a season ticket for the possibility of tripling your money. The investment side of football is there.

Like I said, and have written over and over, I guess you forget it was only 12 years ago when the Birds were'nt selling out games.

You're only biased because the cool kids have overrun your one little thing that you thought was different from all the douches in the city. That's your problem, man - there's you and then all the "fake Phillies fans" or "moronic Eagles fans".

It's all about winning. There's a reason why Kurt Russell shows up to Yankee Stadium during the World Series and not when the Bombers were losing 80, 90 games. Of course people who aren't usually there are there. This isn't that hard to comprehend.
    And I would never ever ever ever ever want to be like St. Louis, whom everyone thinks is a baseball town. Those people are fucking zombies and follow their team blindly. They could give a shit if their team won 90 or lost 90. It's that midwest mentality, and it sucks.
    The Fixer wrote:

Read what I just wrote. You don't think the Birds could not sell out again? Ya know why? It makes sense to invest in 8 games for a season ticket for the possibility of tripling your money. The investment side of football is there.

Like I said, and have written over and over, I guess you forget it was only 12 years ago when the Birds were'nt selling out games.

You're only biased because the cool kids have overrun your one little thing that you thought was different from all the douches in the city. That's your problem, man - there's you and then all the "fake Phillies fans" or "moronic Eagles fans".

It's all about winning. There's a reason why Kurt Russell shows up to Yankee Stadium during the World Series and not when the Bombers were losing 80, 90 games. Of course people who aren't usually there are there. This isn't that hard to comprehend.

my point is that it's more than just selling tickets.

it's also kinda funny that you say 12 years ago like it just happened. 12 consecutive years of sellouts is a pretty long time if you ask me.
    The Fixer wrote:
    it's also kinda funny that you say 12 years ago like it just happened. 12 consecutive years of sellouts is a pretty long time if you ask me.

BECAUSE THEY HAVE BEEN WINNING/COMPETITIVE. What is so hard to understand about this concept? A region of over 5 million people to fill 67,000 seats for at least 8 games? That isn't too hard to comprehend.
    The Fixer wrote:

BECAUSE THEY HAVE BEEN WINNING/COMPETITIVE. What is so hard to understand about this concept? A region of over 5 million people to fill 67,000 seats for at least 8 games? That isn't too hard to comprehend.

Of course football will have more sellouts than baseball. I never said otherwise. I don't even know what we're arguing anymore.

I said philly is and always be an eagles town first. The phillies will always be the little brother.
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Of course football will have more sellouts than baseball. I never said otherwise. I don't even know what we're arguing anymore.

I said philly is and always be an eagles town first. The phillies will always be the little brother.

I just don't know how someone can says "always" when that is not true.

obviously we disagree. I don't know how you can think that philly is a baseball town. You must have forgotten the 80's, 90's, and first half of 00's
    The Fixer wrote:

obviously we disagree. I don't know how you can think that philly is a baseball town. You must have forgotten the 80's, 90's, and first half of 00's

And my reasons have fallen on deaf ears I guess. Winning = ratings, attendance, front covers of papers, buzz, bar talk, etc. That's all it comes down to.

The term baseball town is fucking gay anyway. Two towns only come to mind - Boston for reasons I've said, and St. Louis for reasons I've said. And both points can suck my butt hole. Boston's football teams sucked before the term suck, Bruins we're never quite good enough, and the city is far too racist to acknowledge that they should be a hoops town first on the account of the Celtics. Plus, they think they invented the game. And then there's St. Louis where they will cheer ANYTHING because their hicks and there's nothing else going on in that area during the summer.

Philadelphia is a SPORTS town. We're nuts about anything that will bring civic pride to our city.
    The Fixer wrote:

And my reasons have fallen on deaf ears I guess. Winning = ratings, attendance, front covers of papers, buzz, bar talk, etc. That's all it comes down to.

The term baseball town is fucking gay anyway. Two towns only come to mind - Boston for reasons I've said, and St. Louis for reasons I've said. And both points can suck my butt hole. Boston's football teams sucked before the term suck, Bruins we're never quite good enough, and the city is far too racist to acknowledge that they should be a hoops town first on the account of the Celtics. Plus, they think they invented the game. And then there's St. Louis where they will cheer ANYTHING because their hicks and there's nothing else going on in that area during the summer.

Philadelphia is a SPORTS town. We're nuts about anything that will bring civic pride to our city.

You really think the phillies are more loved/followed in this city than the eagles?? come on man

chicago and NY are both great baseball towns
    The Fixer wrote:

You really think the phillies are more loved/followed in this city than the eagles?? come on man

THERE'S FUCKING BANNER FOR CLIFF LEE.

THEN you contradict your points with "it's only because the Phils are good now" with "where were the fans when they sucked?" - don't you see a correlation here????

Chicago and NY are both great sports towns.
    The Fixer wrote:

THERE'S FUCKING BANNER FOR CLIFF LEE.

THEN you contradict your points with "it's only because the Phils are good now" with "where were the fans when they sucked?" - don't you see a correlation here????

Chicago and NY are both great sports towns.

my point is that eagles fans are always there...whether the team is good or bad. honestly, during the 90's both the eagles and phils sucked. you really think that the phils were more popular during that time??? NO WAY IN HELL!!

chicago and NY are both baseball first towns. no doubt
    When did the Eagles suck in the 90s? I'm talking consistently bad here - 1998, and 1999. How did they suck in the 90s?
    And the Bears are easily just as big as the Cubs and White Sox combined.
    When did the Eagles suck in the 90s? I'm talking consistently bad here - 1998, and 1999. How did they suck in the 90s?

you're right, they weren't bad for the entire decade...just the last few years. and the fans continued to support them.

you can't say this stuff about phillies fans (from wikipedia, so you know it's true :D )

Although the method may vary, studies that attempt to rank the 32 fan bases in the NFL consistently place Eagles fans among the best in the league, noting their "unmatched fervor."[9]

The American City Business Journals, which conducts a regular study to determine the most loyal fans in the NFL, evaluates fans based primarily on attendance-related factors,[10] and ranked Eagles fans third in both 1999[11] and 2006.[12] The 2006 study called the fans "incredibly loyal," noting that they filled 99.8 percent of the seats in the stadium over the previous decade.[13] Forbes placed the Eagles fans first in its 2008 survey,[14] which was based on the correlation between team performance and fan attendance.[15] ESPN.com placed Eagles fans fourth in the league in its 2008 survey, citing the connection between the team's performance and the mood of the city.[16]

The studies note that—win or lose—Eagles fans can be counted on to pack their stadium. As of August 2008, the team had sold out 71 consecutive games, and 70,000 were on the team's waiting list for season tickets.[16] Despite finishing with a 6-10 record in the 2005-2006 season, the Eagles ranked second in the NFL in merchandise sales, and single-game tickets for the next season were sold out minutes after phone and Internet lines opened.