Milwaukee Brewers + Zack Greinke = Awesome!!

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Congrats guys. I wish the Phils got him. We need a 5th starter. :lol:

Seriously, hope to see you guys in the playoffs. I've loved Wisconsin all 3 times I've been there, and Brewers games are a blast. Greinke will be great for the Brew Crew.

By the way, I don't understand why the Phils had to get bashed in this thread. I guess that's what bitter, loser Cowboys fans do. :P ;)

when the phils need a 5th starter they are going to just choose a fan of the game to pitch. should be interesting
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,595
    RW81233 wrote:
    My dad let me choose all my teams and I took the one's he hated, so my poor brother got stuck with the Bills.

your dad should be ashamed of himself.
    www.myspace.com
  • Congrats guys. I wish the Phils got him. We need a 5th starter. :lol:

Seriously, hope to see you guys in the playoffs. I've loved Wisconsin all 3 times I've been there, and Brewers games are a blast. Greinke will be great for the Brew Crew.

By the way, I don't understand why the Phils had to get bashed in this thread. I guess that's what bitter, loser Cowboys fans do. :P ;)

Nice :mrgreen:
    Formerly Brew Crew Tix
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    somebody is trying to change their name. :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    The Fixer wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:
    Man, the buzz at work today was really cool. We have sold so many extra 4-pack tickets, which makes for a really busy week, but I am really excited to see what this team can do in 2011.

The Phillies are still the much superior team. Obviously that pitching is insane, but that lineup is still really stacked even without Werth.

I am glad that the Phils are in another division. Would love to see a Phils vs Brewers NLCS in 2011, but the Brewers still have a ton to prove for sure.

Man, I love talking baseball in December!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
    Having been to a game in Miller Park last year for the first time since I was 17 and at County Stadium I can say Milwaukee is a great baseball town when they put even a mediocre team on the field - can't imagine this year. There are plenty of good ball towns out there that just need a team to get behind...too bad it takes most teams luck and guile to get there and some just a wad of cold hard cash.

I love when people say this. what makes a 'great baseball town'? I would say fan support. So why can't the brewers sell out more games?? They have been decent the last few years.
    1. Phils got bashed b/c they are the only fans to say anything other than congrats on getting Grienke...usually it's accompanied by a snide comment about how he couldn't hold a candle to the great staff the Phils have even though he won a Cy Young with Hallady pitching in the same league.

2. Brewers have sold out a bunch of games the last few years, topping 3-4 mill per year I think. So yes I think Milwaukee constitutes a great baseball town, they pay for tix and go to games to support a team with "some" hope. And it would be short memoried to say Philly was any different. I went to games at the Vet that no one went to, I even bought decent walkup tix to a game at Citizens Bandbox Park between the Phils and Mets in 2006 (funnily enough Randy Wolfe started that game and won despite letting Reyes go yard 3 times).
    RW81233 wrote:

1. Phils got bashed b/c they are the only fans to say anything other than congrats on getting Grienke...usually it's accompanied by a snide comment about how he couldn't hold a candle to the great staff the Phils have even though he won a Cy Young with Hallady pitching in the same league.

2. Brewers have sold out a bunch of games the last few years, topping 3-4 mill per year I think. So yes I think Milwaukee constitutes a great baseball town, they pay for tix and go to games to support a team with "some" hope. And it would be short memoried to say Philly was any different. I went to games at the Vet that no one went to, I even bought decent walkup tix to a game at Citizens Bandbox Park between the Phils and Mets in 2006 (funnily enough Randy Wolfe started that game and won despite letting Reyes go yard 3 times).

greinke is a beast. I don't think anyone said any different.

philly is, and always will be, a football town. I never said it was a great baseball town. It's not. I have only been to milwuakee once. I find it hard to believe that it's a great baseball town. I think that phrase gets overused
    RW81233 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:
    Having been to a game in Miller Park last year for the first time since I was 17 and at County Stadium I can say Milwaukee is a great baseball town when they put even a mediocre team on the field - can't imagine this year. There are plenty of good ball towns out there that just need a team to get behind...too bad it takes most teams luck and guile to get there and some just a wad of cold hard cash.

I love when people say this. what makes a 'great baseball town'? I would say fan support. So why can't the brewers sell out more games?? They have been decent the last few years.

this guy clearly has an inferiority complex with philadelphia.
    www.myspace.com
  • Oh look!! :o:o:o More friends that hate the Phillies and their fans throwing propaganda into a team's thread on a Pearl Jam board!!! :D:D:D

Just remember Philly fans, your team looks good on paper! :lol::lol:
    The Fixer wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

greinke is a beast. I don't think anyone said any different.

philly is, and always will be, a football town. I never said it was a great baseball town. It's not. I have only been to milwuakee once. I find it hard to believe that it's a great baseball town. I think that phrase gets overused
    i agree with you on philly and football, but what city is a great baseball town by your definition? does it have to be a town with other sports competing for attention? i'd guess boston would be on the list, but even that's fading...

if you go back and look at the thread many said Grienke is awesome, except a number of philly fans who said he'd be middle relief, the #5 starter, or was too crazy (that was a a facebook friend from philly who broke the news to me) to pitch in philly. i don't have an inferiority complex with philly i am just trying to understand a fan base that goes out of its way to act so weird - particularly since i have so many students from there.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,987
    RW81233 wrote:
    My dad let me choose all my teams and I took the one's he hated, so my poor brother got stuck with the Bills.

your dad should be ashamed of himself.

Absolutely.
    RW81233 wrote:
    It's kinda funny that the Phils did not get the best Pitcher this offseason, and even though they have a better team they feel the need to get all petty about it. This, and their penchant for picking on the Mets (when that team did nothing to them), are what makes their fans so insufferable.

And just for a tally for when Mr. Pretentious McFraudulent Who Likes To Tell Us Constantly How He Has Students initially went on his bitch rant about how all these "petty Phils fans" we're pissing on their parade, there was a total of TWO remarks in the thread of remotely close to his description. One from a dude who is apparently from Philly, but unfortunately never posts in the Phils thread(hey, pal, make a visit, thanks), and the other being a dude from New York who is a Yankees fan. So for that, I say.........what?
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    wtf is this 3rd grade? grow a pair of balls and take the dissing like a man. my god i've never ever seen a buncha whiny tit for tat sports fans then i do on this board.

btw- greinke would be a 5th starter on the phils cause of the rotation already there. anywhere else he'd be a #1. and going to the brewers just proves he can't handle a major market aka the northeast.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

RW81233 wrote:
    It's kinda funny that the Phils did not get the best Pitcher this offseason, and even though they have a better team they feel the need to get all petty about it. This, and their penchant for picking on the Mets (when that team did nothing to them), are what makes their fans so insufferable.

And just for a tally for when Mr. Pretentious McFraudulent Who Likes To Tell Us Constantly How He Has Students initially went on his bitch rant about how all these "petty Phils fans" we're pissing on their parade, there was a total of TWO remarks in the thread of remotely close to his description. One from a dude who is apparently from Philly, but unfortunately never posts in the Phils thread(hey, pal, make a visit, thanks), and the other being a dude from New York who is a Yankees fan. So for that, I say.........what?

i was thinking the same thing. had to go and double check to see what he was talking about. didn't even recognize the guy who said he was a phils fan. i'm happy for the brew crew. i'd rather him there than on the yankees.

and the one giants fan who keeps popping up....that is comedy right there. guy is so upset that nobody cares about his team anymore. :lol::lol:

hey look at me! hey look at me! he needs a sign or something.
    www.myspace.com
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Dear OP: You are welcome. Signed, battered wife syndrome Royals fans everywhere.

Here's what we do. Since our owners never spend enough to be competitive, we rely on a scenario where all of our young talented players that were high draft picks due to our perpetual state of loserdom gel at the same time and put together a decent team. Then, when it's time to sign these young talented stars to big contracts, we sell them off to avoid the increased payroll. Unfortunately, that MO has been going on for over 20 years now and we have no playoff appearances to show for it.
  • RW81233 wrote:
    if you go back and look at the thread many said Grienke is awesome, except a number of philly fans who said he'd be middle relief, the #5 starter, or was too crazy (that was a a facebook friend from philly who broke the news to me) to pitch in philly. i don't have an inferiority complex with philly i am just trying to understand a fan base that goes out of its way to act so weird - particularly since i have so many students from there.

I said the Phils should've traded for Greinke as the #5 starter... obviously in jest, as indicated by my emoticons. (like this: :roll: ) Then I said Congrats and hope to see you in the playoffs.

Get over it already.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    RW81233 wrote:

You're right I woke up on Sunday morning getting a facebook wallpost from a Phils fan who was basically taunting me, and I got cranky about it. So I starting taking it out on the phils fans on the thread b/c of how I found out about getting Greinke, and basically knew you'd go for the defense of him. I'm just as much a button pusher for sure, but was pissed b/c besides CC for 1/2 a season our biggest rotation pickup during my lifetime was Ben MacDonald. Plus you guys beat the Brewers in the only playoff series I've ever seen so I already have to hate the team for that son any other reason - even shitty wallposts on facebook have to contribute to that hate. Whatever though, I think this makes Milwaukee a solid contender in the crappiest division in baseball, and am super excited to see how this season figures out how to crumble.

As for the "baseball town" discussion what are the good ones?
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    St Louis is a great baseball town.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    St Louis is a great baseball town.

"baseball heaven."

:lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Chicago is a great baseball town.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    RW81233 wrote:
    i agree with you on philly and football, but what city is a great baseball town by your definition? does it have to be a town with other sports competing for attention? i'd guess boston would be on the list, but even that's fading...

STL, NY, Chicago are the 3 that come to mind when I think 'baseball town'. Maybe boston too, but I despise the red sox so I don't like to give that area credit for anything.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    The Fixer wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

STL, NY, Chicago are the 3 that come to mind when I think 'baseball town'. Maybe boston too, but I despise the red sox so I don't like to give that area credit for anything.

I agree with all of this.
    I think Boston's gotta count b/c the Red Sox mean more than the Pats/Celts/Bruins, even if I hate them too. It's funny Baltimore used to be good for baseball too, until the Ravens got consistently good. Maybe it was just a football town with a baseball problem though?
    RW81233 wrote:
    I think Boston's gotta count b/c the Red Sox mean more than the Pats/Celts/Bruins, even if I hate them too. It's funny Baltimore used to be good for baseball too, until the Ravens got consistently good. Maybe it was just a football town with a baseball problem though?

i think baltimore has always been a football town. they just had their team stolen from them and had to suffer for a couple decades before they stole cleveland's team.
    www.myspace.com
    gabers wrote:
    Dear OP: You are welcome. Signed, battered wife syndrome Royals fans everywhere.
    wow they(royals fan) do exist! :P

good baseball towns

1. st. louis
    2. ny
    3. boston
    4. philly
    5. seattle

I'd prolly actually put Seattle ahead of Philly, I'm betting they'd rather the Mariners win than the Seahawks (could be wrong).
    RW81233 wrote:
    I'd prolly actually put Seattle ahead of Philly, I'm betting they'd rather the Mariners win than the Seahawks (could be wrong).
    have to ask animal or a long time seattleite bout that. but from what i gather is they seem to show up at seahawks games regardless if they suck or not where as with the m's if they suck fans don't show up. it was probably the bias in me putting seattle #5 seeing as how i have a love affair for the city and have been to a game at safeco field. great ballpark and beer and hot dogs.

RW81233 wrote:

based on you thinking "they'd rather the mariners win than the seahawks?"

considering your complete and utter fraudulence you should be banned from making assumptions on such a thing. what do you know about baseball towns? you root for teams in all corners of the country. :roll:

seattle. :lol::lol::lol:
    www.myspace.com
    As for anyone who thinks Philly is not a baseball town is borderline retarded. Sorry, Fixer, we know you're not borderline. :thumbup:

Philly is a great sports town. Actually, I'm starting to go into Philly sports overload and am getting sick of talking about ourselves. Because, no, seriously, enough about us,......what do you think of us? :mrgreen: And I don't know how a town that had once had two baseball teams, two Negro league teams, and presently has the longest active baseball team in professional sports in North America to be located in the same city with the same nickname. Right, totally not a baseball town. :roll: Not to mention everything my dad, uncles, grandfather, great-uncles can tell me about how it used to be. Remember, we're the generation that are establishing that feeling again because when your team spends most of the 80's and 90's stinking up the joint it's easy to not be the #1 priority when it comes to sports in the city. And I really don't care if we're a football or baseball city - as long as there's a debate, it tells me that we care and that's all that matters to me. I got all hyped about a stupid fucking Union game. And I hate soccer! It's just that we get nuts about anything where we can get drunk and have some kind of civic pride in our city. At least that's me.

The only place I consider a baseball town, as FenwayFaithful's signature can attest to, is Boston. In all reality they could give a shit what the Pats or the B's do. The only thing that may come marginally close is the Celt's and I really don't know about that. And there's the whole part where they think they invented the game.

And I'm really hankering to get out to Safeco for the Phils series this summer. I gotta make that work.

PPS - Also, I have a Christmas card for all of you. Enjoy - http://sendables.jibjab.com/view/WxInNO384t6MH3KW8I8t
    agreed jp. i hate when people talk about if philly is an eagles town or a phillies town now?

why can't it be both?

it's also a great basketball town. just a lot more basketball than just the sixers.
    www.myspace.com
    agreed jp. i hate when people talk about if philly is an eagles town or a phillies town now?

why can't it be both?

it's also a great basketball town. just a lot more basketball than just the sixers.

Bigger college ball town, but yeah huge basketball town.