Options

Where's all the old time/bluegrass??

Comments

• Options
    JzPJzP Posts: 931
    Old Crow, Mumford & Sons and Edward Sharp and the magnetics are touring the south-west by train!
    http://railroadrevivaltour.com/

Wish that train came all the way to the northeast.
    ~JzP
  • Options
    ~JzP
  • Options
    I went to see the Carolina Chocolate Drops last night in a beautiful venue close by. They have recently won a grammy for best traditional folk album. They have also lost a member and added two. One of these new members is a beatboxer! He made some awesome sounds like trumpet, jug, and washboard. He added a great beat to the music. What a great show it was with tons of energy. You could tell they were having a lot of fun. The members continually are changing instruments, from the banjo to the bones and even a little bit of clogging.
    Hopefully we see a new album soon...
    It seems like most of you folks aren't interested in traditional-old time music, so if you're into the chocolate drops gimme a HEY HEY... something :lol:

If you want to check out some of their music they just released an Ep of four songs. This includes the new members and their famous cover of "hit 'em up style".

Carolina Chocolate Drops / Luminescent Orchestrii
    carolina-chocolate-drops-luminescent-orchestrii-cd-cover-art.jpg
    ~JzP
  • Options
    hockeygrrlhockeygrrl Posts: 141
    This thread is another reminder of how AWESOME Pearl Jam fans are. I grew up listening to bluegrass, was raised thinking Bill Monroe was pretty close to family, have danced with Ralph Stanley(when I was probably about 8 years old), and though I don't listen to it as much as I once did...that high, lonesome sound always gets me. Love the thread.
    <b>One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain</b> <i>~Bob Marley</i>
  • Options
    Nice to hear from you :D Sounds like you gotta get back in the swing of things and listen to some old-time. There must be tons of folks around WV pickin' a banjo or sawing the strings on porch :lol: Get out there!

draft_lens2225339module12013101photo_1223749031bill-monroe-later-years.jpg
    And yes he's part of the family...
    ~JzP
  • Options
    JzP wrote:
    Nice to hear from you :D Sounds like you gotta get back in the swing of things and listen to some old-time. There must be tons of folks around WV pickin' a banjo or sawing the strings on porch :lol: Get out there!

draft_lens2225339module12013101photo_1223749031bill-monroe-later-years.jpg
    And yes he's part of the family...

I love that pic. I am pretty much at a loss to much of the newer stuff, my dad is my connection to the old timey bluegrass. I do get to listen to Mountain Stage on NPR occasionally. I'll have to step out from my norm and see what else is out there. :D
    <b>One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain</b> <i>~Bob Marley</i>
  • Options
    Finally found a good version of this song on youtube. Check it out...
    The Carolina Chocolate Drops
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqRihplG_h0

Beat-boxing-old-time... Fuck yeah!!
    ~JzP
  • Options
    LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    Here in Adelaide they had a vinyl sale yesterday and I saw a Leadbelly vinyl but I'd ran out of cash! I'm so hoping it's still there today, I love Leadbelly and Robert Johnson. Here's my favs:

Stones in my Passway- Robert Johnson
    Leadbelly - The Bourgeois Blues

Great thread!
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Options
    Loulou wrote:
    Here in Adelaide they had a vinyl sale yesterday and I saw a Leadbelly vinyl but I'd ran out of cash! I'm so hoping it's still there today, I love Leadbelly and Robert Johnson. Here's my favs:

Great thread!

Hope you were able to score the leadbelly. If not there are some great tribute albums to Leadbelly. I got one called "Vision Shared" It's split leadbelly and woody guthrie songs. One of my favorites with bands like Willie Nelson, U2, the Boss, John Melloncamp, Dylan Taj Mahal, Little Ritchard and Emmylou. Only bad cover on it is Brian Wilson doing "Goodnight Irene", I can't stand it and have to skip it every time :lol:
    ~JzP
  • Options
    JzP wrote:
    Loulou wrote:

Great thread!

Hope you were able to score the leadbelly. If not there are some great tribute albums to Leadbelly. I got one called "Vision Shared" It's split leadbelly and woody guthrie songs. One of my favorites with bands like Willie Nelson, U2, the Boss, John Melloncamp, Dylan Taj Mahal, Little Ritchard and Emmylou. Only bad cover on it is Brian Wilson doing "Goodnight Irene", I can't stand it and have to skip it every time :lol:
    :lol: That does sound a little scary, the other one's sound good though, will have to check them out. It was gone when I got there!! :( However, I did score Tom Waits Blue Valentine and Rain Dogs for $40 so I'm not complaining. :D
    I forgot to mention Kind Hearted Woman Blues- Leadbelly, love this one too. My bro has some really ones I'll have to borrow of him and copy. I love that kind of music especially on vinyl with that crackle, priceless. ;)
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks, I love it!
    Damn makes me want a banjo! :lol:
    JzP wrote:

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
  • Options
    JzP wrote:
    I went to see the Carolina Chocolate Drops last night in a beautiful venue close by. They have recently won a grammy for best traditional folk album. They have also lost a member and added two. One of these new members is a beatboxer! He made some awesome sounds like trumpet, jug, and washboard. He added a great beat to the music. What a great show it was with tons of energy. You could tell they were having a lot of fun. The members continually are changing instruments, from the banjo to the bones and even a little bit of clogging.
    Hopefully we see a new album soon...
    It seems like most of you folks aren't interested in traditional-old time music, so if you're into the chocolate drops gimme a HEY HEY... something :lol:

If you want to check out some of their music they just released an Ep of four songs. This includes the new members and their famous cover of "hit 'em up style".

Carolina Chocolate Drops / Luminescent Orchestrii
    carolina-chocolate-drops-luminescent-orchestrii-cd-cover-art.jpg

Thank you for sharing information on them. They are super talented! I will definitely be looking into more of their work. Their cover of "Hit 'em up Style" is fantastic!
  • Options
    So glad to hear some interest in old-time roots music :D

Our big bluegrass festival of the year looks like Del-Fest in western Maryland. Killer lineup...

The Del McCoury Band
    Old Crow Medicine Show
    Yonder Mountain String Band
    Warren Haynes Acoustic with Special Guests
    Chris Robinson
    Railroad Earth
    The Travelin’ McCourys
    Punch Brothers
    Psychograss
    Emmitt-Nershi Band
    Dailey & Vincent
    Preservation Hall Jazz Band
    Jesse McReynolds
    Trampled by Turtles
    Donna The Buffalo
    The Infamous Stringdusters
    Scythian
    Joe Craven
    Sierra Hull & Highway 111
    Davisson Brothers Band
    Rockin' Acoustic Circus
    The Sweetback Sisters
    Hoots & Hellmouth
    Head For The Hills
    Nathan Moore
    Tussey Mountain Moonshiners
    ~JzP
  • Options
    JzP wrote:
    So glad to hear some interest in old-time roots music :D

Our big bluegrass festival of the year looks like Del-Fest in western Maryland. Killer lineup...

The Del McCoury Band
    Old Crow Medicine Show
    Yonder Mountain String Band
    Warren Haynes Acoustic with Special Guests
    Chris Robinson
    Railroad Earth
    The Travelin’ McCourys
    Punch Brothers
    Psychograss
    Emmitt-Nershi Band
    Dailey & Vincent
    Preservation Hall Jazz Band
    Jesse McReynolds
    Trampled by Turtles
    Donna The Buffalo
    The Infamous Stringdusters
    Scythian
    Joe Craven
    Sierra Hull & Highway 111
    Davisson Brothers Band
    Rockin' Acoustic Circus
    The Sweetback Sisters
    Hoots & Hellmouth
    Head For The Hills
    Nathan Moore
    Tussey Mountain Moonshiners

I may consider traveling to that, I really want to take my dad (and son) to a bluegrass festival this year. There are a couple in KY pretty close to us but I'm keeping my options open. When is this one?
  • Options
    ~JzP
  • Options
    If anyone is into Yonder Mountain String Band and vinyl they released 500 copies of their debut album elevation. I snagged one I suggest you do the same.
    ~JzP
  • Options
    I have also had some time to ponder over Steve Martin's new album "Rare Bird Alert". A rip from his newest movie about competitive bird watching with jack black(haven't seen it yet). It's his second album but this time his backing band is the Steep Canyon Rangers. Paul McCartney, the Dixie Chicks and Tony Trischka preform as well.

It's a great mix of three fingered style and claw-hammer banjo. As well one of my favorites, traditional fiddle/banjo tune (the great remember). Ahh they sound so well together. For the most part it's upbeat bluegrass. The album has a great layout with notes for each song and how they came about as well as some silly tunes. "Atheists don't have no souls" and "kind tut" are sung by Steve and give a good laugh. I'll stop ruining it for ya'll. Go check it out!

Rare_Bird_Alert15979.jpg

Tracklist:

1. Rare Bird Alert
    2. Yellow-Backed Fly
    3. Best Love
    4. Northern Island
    5. Go Away, Stop, Turn Around, Come Back
    6. Jubilation Day
    7. More Bad Weather On The Way
    8. You
    9. The Great Remember (for Nancy)
    10. Women Like To Slow Dance
    11. Hide Behind A Rock
    12. Atheists Don’t Have No Songs
    13. King Tut
    Digital Booklet: Rare Bird Alert
    ~JzP
  • Options
    Off to Del-Fest.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIiUX2h7cDI (weird video, but great dylan cover)
    ~JzP
  • Options
    What a sweet festival with some of the greats in bluegrass country music. My highlights... Tony Trishka and Rob McCurry workshop, Chris Robinson, The Infamous String Dusters, Physcograss, Yonder, Old Crow, Warren Haynes, Jesse McReynolds (jim and jesse), Emmit-Nershi Band, The Punch Brothers, Scythian,Donna the Buffalo and of course Del McCurry Band (played each).
    Bluegrass festivals are just what a festival should be. There is always a meet and greet after the performer's set. Where they will sign stuff and shake hands. There are workshops with artists which include question and answer and tunes in between. There is constantly a mesh of artists playing together on indiv. songs or supergroups like Phsycograss (Darol Anger, Tony Triska and Mike Marshall).
    There are Late night shows which are usually a separate ticket and on an indoor stage. It was Drew Emmit's birthday bash for one of these shows so there was so many different artists at the fest. that came on stage. They played till 4am and partied till who knows.. There is so much music it is impossible to see it all. And moonshine :mrgreen:

Talk was they may move it from Cumberland Maryland which may be good. Main stage was on a racetrack and we got lots of rain so it was a mudfest in front. Nasty mud which stunk like oil. It's only the 4th year and every year mud has been a problem. I would recommend this festival for anyone into bluegrass old-time music.
    ~JzP
  • Options
    ~JzP
  • Options
    I'm :o there is such little interest in old-time music. If you haven't heard much bluegrass you can stream the Telluride Bluegrass Festival (one of the best) http://www.koto.org/programming
    go to "listen to KOTO live". I clicked (.pls) and it went straight to ITunes.

Friday, June 17, 2011
    9:00am — Gates Open
    10:00 - 11:00am — Joe Pug
    11:15 - 12:30pm — Chris Thile & Michael Daves
    1:00 - 2:15pm — The Infamous Stringdusters
    2:45 - 4:00pm — Jerry Douglas featuring Omar Hakim & Viktor Krauss
    4:30 - 5:45pm — Trampled by Turtles
    6:15 - 7:30pm — Emmylou Harris
    8:00 - 10:00pm — Béla Fleck & the Flecktones (The Original Line-Up)
    10:30 - Midnight — Railroad Earth

Saturday, June 18, 2011
    9:00am — Gates Open
    10:00 - 11:00am — Band Contest Finals
    11:15 - 12:15pm — Nora Jane Struthers & the Bootleggers
    12:30 - 1:45pm — Emmitt-Nershi Band
    2:15 - 3:30pm — Tim O'Brien Band
    4:00 - 5:30pm — Yonder Mountain String Band
    5:45 - 6:00pm — Telluride Troubadour
    6:15 - 7:30pm — The Decemberists
    8:00 - 10:00pm — Sam Bush Band
    10:30 - Midnight — Old Crow Medicine Show

Sunday, June 19, 2011
    10:00am — Gates Open
    11:00 - noon — Darrell Scott & Friends' Father's Day Gospel Hour
    12:30 - 1:30pm — Edgar Meyer
    2:00 - 3:15pm — Abigail Washburn & the Village
    3:45 - 5:00pm — Peter Rowan Bluegrass Band
    5:30 - 6:45pm — Punch Brothers
    7:15 - 8:30pm — Mumford & Sons
    9:00 - 10:30pm — Robert Plant & Band of Joy

Enjoy Please :mrgreen:
    ~JzP
  • Options
    280x210.jpg
    Sam Bush playing now!
    ~JzP
  • Options
    chris thile and punch brothers on now and mumford and sons next.
    ~JzP
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,208
    JzP wrote:
    For some great old time vinyl ...http://www.folkways.si.edu/searchresults.aspx?set=1&sPhrase=LP&sType=format

I got the Dock Doggs, a Lucinda Williams, Elizabeth Cotten, and Roscoe Holcomb. I would suggest any of them. It's great company as well.

i second the elizabeth cotten.
  • Options
    AndySlash wrote:

i second the elizabeth cotten.

Truthfully when I got the album I had never heard her music and thought it was banjo tunes. Mostly it's 12 string guitar folk music.
    Learned my lesson to not judge a record by it's cover..
    nea_elizabeth_Cotton_w_5jun.jpg

Here's video with a little of her story with a banjo tune :mrgreen:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm5-WdB_aVE
    ~JzP
  • Options
    Getting ready for Ossipee Valley Music Fest at the end of the month really excited to see the Wiyos. I had never heard of them before. This guys got the coolest washboard I've ever seen. Check em out..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qhVYPKBxWw
    ~JzP