Options

Thumbing My Way sucks

Comments

• Options
    JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    Well, at least a 6 month old baby agrees with you Fanch :)

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?p=5035733#post5035733
    I just played some pearl jam for the first time for the baby I nanny for. He's 6 months. Here's his reaction:

Smile: he loved it and started kicking and flapping his arms everywhere

Elderly woman: he was climbing on me and laughing

I am mine: he laid on his back and did baby talk along with the song

Thumbing my way: he cried and then threw up all over me!!

Haha. 3/4 ain't bad!
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • Options
    Your mom sucks!

hehehe
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    TMW is neither here nor there for me. it seems like it should be better than it actually is.. if that makes any sense. it has the potential, but ultimately it doesn't quite live up to it.

eddie got it right with man of the hour.
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    pkh43pkh43 Posts: 253
    fanch75 wrote:
    I never hear this song more than 5 seconds, b/c that's how long it takes to hear those shitty opening chords. I know what horrid boredom lies beyond.

Discuss.

You suck. . . . .and your boring
  • Options
    "I let go of a rope, thinkin that's what held me back......and in time I realize it's now wrapped around my neck"

That might be one of the better lyrics in the PJ catalog.
  • Options
    upina2001 wrote:
    I'd just like to say you are full of shit.

period.

I'd go for an exclamation point! or several !!!!

I can't be free with what's locked inside of me...
    Nothing divine dies. All good is eternally reproductive. The beauty of nature reforms itself in the mind, and not for barren contemplation, but for new creation. ~ Nature, Emerson
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    Wow, people are angry! They love them some "thumbing my way."
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,151
    fanch75 wrote:
    Wow, people are angry! They love them some "thumbing my way."

Hey at least you know you have won if Kat & Sea ever decide to give out an award for the thread that elicts the most you suck as a reponse. :p
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    Alright, I'll be honest...I never much cared for TMW until I read a thread on here a while back regarding what the song is about. This guy said he attended the funeral of a friend, who happened to be Ed's hair stylist. The guy was gay and died from AIDS, and Ed wrote TMW about him and apparently read the lyrics at his funeral. The OP was given the note from Ed and he showed a framed picture of the original lyrics. I'm sure some people remember this, ya?

Also, I prefer some of the most recent live versions of TMW where Ed changes octaves and hits higher notes at the end, instead of the same baritone voice the entire song.
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • Options
    hard_sunhard_sun Posts: 382
    that's great song
    a little bit slower, but i like it
    especially live versions:D
    ...the north is to south what the clock is to time...
    419 352
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    I like it live.........Ed has started to open his voice up on it and give it more range.

Riot Act is a fucking great album.
  • Options
    JD Sal wrote:
    Alright, I'll be honest...I never much cared for TMW until I read a thread on here a while back regarding what the song is about. This guy said he attended the funeral of a friend, who happened to be Ed's hair stylist. The guy was gay and died from AIDS, and Ed wrote TMW about him and apparently read the lyrics at his funeral. The OP was given the note from Ed and he showed a framed picture of the original lyrics. I'm sure some people remember this, ya?

Also, I prefer some of the most recent live versions of TMW where Ed changes octaves and hits higher notes at the end, instead of the same baritone voice the entire song.

The most surprising thing about this story: Ed has a hair stylist (seriously?!? What for?!?)

The least surprising thing: That hair stylist was gay.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    thumbing my way sure beats the living piss out of gone. talk about boredom. yawn.

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=266458
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Options
    StereotypeStereotype Maribor, Slovenia Posts: 885
    Riot Act isn't my favourite album..but this song is among those that I really like. I heard it live in Zagreb and it touched me deeply. I know it's simple but the simplicity gets into me. The simplicity also alows the message to get clearer, louder and the emotions really step forward with eaze.
    I wish I could describe it better but music can't be successfully put into words anyway..what I wanted to say is -It's not a bad song at all.
    What reallly puzzles me..is what motive is behind the act of opening a thread about how bad one song is?
    The worst enemies of music? Money and Mathematics. Combined with music, they both do the exact opposite of what they're supposed to do. Money makes music cheap, mathematics makes it stupid and predictable.

____

Zagreb 2006/ Munich 2007/ Venice 2007/ Berlin 2009 / Venice 2010 / 2 x Berlin 2012 / Stockholm 2012 / Milan 2014 / Trieste 2014 / Vienna 2014 / Florence (EV) 2019 / Padova 2018 / Prague 2018 / Imola 2022 / Budapest 2022 / Vienna 2022 / Prague 2022 

• Options
    glasshouse wrote:
    thumbing my way sure beats the living piss out of gone. talk about boredom. yawn.

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=266458

I think Gone is fine, but I like your style.
  • Options
    Its a matter of what song strikes that emotion chord inside.If the lyrics and mood of song make you feel something then thats a good thing right?....I personally like it alot, because I feel I can relate....someone who doesnt relate would have a hard time feeling it.....same for come back.
    "What could be better than a beer with Eddie Vedder"-Magic hat bottle cap
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,493
    I do not care for the song

but its not a bad song
  • Options
    The most surprising thing about this story: Ed has a hair stylist (seriously?!? What for?!?)

The least surprising thing: That hair stylist was gay.

Yeah, I figured that Vedder would be more of a barbershop or Great Clips kind of guy, as opposed to going to Louis Freutchier or whoever for getting his herr did.
  • Options
    Yeah, other than Bee Girl I hate this song. It just really sucks and I don't know why they put it on RA. It's totally out of place there.
    Dallas '98 - Dallas '00 - OKC '03 - Dallas '03

www.myspace.com/lance_gray

www.bonafidedarling.com
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    fanch75 wrote:
    I never hear this song more than 5 seconds, b/c that's how long it takes to hear those shitty opening chords. I know what horrid boredom lies beyond.

Discuss.

Bah! Rendonkulous.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    Bump for Friday.
  • Options
    I think you're off on this one, pallie.
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,681
    No matter how cold the winter, theres a springtime ahead........

I'm feelin it.
  • Options
    Its a matter of what song strikes that emotion chord inside.If the lyrics and mood of song make you feel something then thats a good thing right?....I personally like it alot, because I feel I can relate....someone who doesnt relate would have a hard time feeling it.....same for come back.

You are spot on.....

Thumbing My Way has such a personal significance to me....

One of the most beautiful things Ed has written.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    I think you're off on this one, pallie.

I'm still out on Genosis, fighting the riot act wars.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    Worst Song Ever (on Riot Act)
  • Options
    cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    there is nothing even remotely 'suck' about this song. it doesn't fit in with all the jock rock stuff PJ has made, that's for sure. that's prob the reason for the thread.
  • Options
    Worst, pearl jam song, ever.
    puts his faith in love and, tremor christ.

"I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback."
  • Options
    bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    Calgary 05 is the best version ive heard

and nooooo im not bias
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Options
    I dunno man, structurally "Thumbing" is probably the best song on RA. I say "Bushleaguer" can go away and I've never been a big fan of the lazy dirge that is "1/2 Full."
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul