If you could bring back a dead rock star?

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    rick danko richard manuel

why?

cause i want them back.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • HartydogHartydog Posts: 2,060
    With no doubt it has to be Hendrix
    Boston 9-28-04, 5-24-06, 5-25-06, 5-17-10, 8-5-16, 8-7-16, 9-2-18, 9-4-18
    Hartford 5-13-06, 6-27-08, 10-25-13
    Mansfield, MA 6-30-08, 6-28-08, 7-2-03, 7-3-03, 7-11-03, 8-29-00, 8-30-00, 9-15-98, 9-16-98
    Worcester 10-15-13, 10-16-13
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    John Denver. Jk. Cobain.

I forgot to say why. Cobain is just about the only person that has died that I cry over. When I watch unplugged knowing it's the last tv performance it gives me chills. Very sad that he left behind a baby who last week turned 18. I hope she has a great life and can get away from her crazy mother. Rip Kurt.
    I'll be back
  • At least post a video of something Duane actually performed in. As much as I love Dennis Millers hair, and Greg Allman singing about getting Hep C from Cher, try this on for size.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giMVe35mnY4&feature=search
    Died when he was 24.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Hendrix. Anything else is just margarine.
  • MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Posts: 1,188
    Joe Strummer. He left us too soon.
  • andrew wood! or would that mean pearl jam breaks up?

Was that the guy who O.D. before Eddie met Stone ,Jeff and Mike?

Yeah, Andrew Wood was the lead singer of Mother Love Bone, a Freddie Mercury style presence on stage, people were convinced he would be a huge star, he sang and played bass in a band with his brother Kevin called Malfunkshun before that and that band was well thought of as well. He O.D. just as they were releasing their first album after signing a huge deal with a major record label.

For me tho, I want Kurt Cobain back. I say if we can get him back we sacrifice Nickelback, Lady Gaga and Kanye West in return? :lol:

Kurt was planning on working with so many people, he would have been involved in Mad Season/Desert Sessions/QOTSA type collaborations, and he had so much more to give.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    i can't think of any one musician.
    like it'd be unfair or something.
    so i vote for Ludwig von Beethoven or someone like that.
    Frederic Chopin, Johann Sebastian Bach, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
    whoever else like that.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Robert Palmer and John Belushi can't pick between the two,
    it would be so wonderful to have them back in my life creating new again.
  • electronblueelectronblue Posts: 3,460
    michael hutchence and michael jackson
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    edited August 2010
    Danny Federicci and his squeezeboxx

reuniting the original E Street Band
    Post edited by Bathgate66 on
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,273
    Hard to choose But if i could it would have to be Lennon
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    Shannon Hoon.. the single greatest loss of my generation
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    With no doubt

jimi-hendrix-woodstock.jpg
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    definitely layne... he was really just coming into his own when he died... I would love to hear what kind of music he would be making right now if he hadn't :(
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Hairy DaneHairy Dane Posts: 205
    I would go for Beethoven too, but he wasn't really a 'rock star'. So in the name of rock it would be Ronnie Van Zant, Steve Gaines, Cassie Gaines, George Harrison, Christopher Zimmermann or Eik Skaløe.

But then again would rock be rock as it is today if a few important candles weren't 'extinguished' prematurely?
    Have fun, walk hard and stay alive.
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    oh freddy mercury would be a good one too... lets have him back as well... i think AIDS should trump OD on the rock star resurrection schedule... and like someone else already said, plane crashes and murder would trump that

is there a witch doctor in the house?
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    Jimi's my answer too.
    John Denver. Jk. Cobain.

I forgot to say why. Cobain is just about the only person that has died that I cry over. When I watch unplugged knowing it's the last tv performance it gives me chills. Very sad that he left behind a baby who last week turned 18. I hope she has a great life and can get away from her crazy mother. Rip Kurt.

i often wonder what kurt would have done had he lived. i like to think hed step back a bit from music and do more of his art. becoming a fully mulitmedia artist. i dont think nirvana would have continued for much longer than the did... not in the form they were anyway.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • i often wonder what kurt would have done had he lived. i like to think hed step back a bit from music and do more of his art. becoming a fully mulitmedia artist. i dont think nirvana would have continued for much longer than the did... not in the form they were anyway.
    I watched a video of him earlier today playing Twister with Smashing Pumpkins (in crisco)... maybe he would do more of that? :lol::lol::D I liked Cobain.
    i often wonder what kurt would have done had he lived. i like to think hed step back a bit from music and do more of his art. becoming a fully mulitmedia artist. i dont think nirvana would have continued for much longer than the did... not in the form they were anyway.
    I watched a video of him earlier today playing Twister with Smashing Pumpkins (in crisco)... maybe he would do more of that? :lol::lol::D I liked Cobain.

i still like cobain.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    Would any of these amazing musicians have been as famous had they not died?? Probably not (with exception of Lennon). Although they were all incredible - a lot of their fame came from the tragic way they died. There are a multitude of awesomely talented musicians out there who will never get the same kind of recognition. I'm not denying that they are talented (my music collection has a number of deceased musicians), I am just questioning whether their music would have been as significant had they lived????
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • I like Layne and Kurt because that is what I was listening to and into at the time and I still enjoy them today. Any death is tragic but more so when you enjoyed what that person had to offer.
    tinkerbell wrote:
    Would any of these amazing musicians have been as famous had they not died?? Probably not (with exception of Lennon). Although they were all incredible - a lot of their fame came from the tragic way they died. There are a multitude of awesomely talented musicians out there who will never get the same kind of recognition. I'm not denying that they are talented (my music collection has a number of deceased musicians), I am just questioning whether their music would have been as significant had they lived????

depends on the level of fame youre talking about. earlier i cited richard manuel and rick danko from the band. the significance and reverence of their music wouldnt have changed.

as for cobain... his importance and that of nirvana would remain what it is despite the opinion of the naysayers is.

with both these bands the foundation was there. were not talking about musicians who died before their music had significance... that was already established before.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    tinkerbell wrote:

depends on the level of fame youre talking about. earlier i cited richard manuel and rick danko from the band. the significance and reverence of their music wouldnt have changed.

as for cobain... his importance and that of nirvana would remain what it is despite the opinion of the naysayers is.

with both these bands the foundation was there. were not talking about musicians who died before their music had significance... that was already established before.

Yeah but..... Kurt in particular died at his peak. Who knows whether Nirvana (or Hendrix or Joplin) would have carried on producing great music. Not all musicians are like Pearl Jam and continue to release great inspiring music - look at U2! I was just wondering aloud whether these musicians would still be as popular if they released something not so great???? (by the way still LOVE Nirvana)
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,734
    Duane Allman, no doubt about it.
    tinkerbell wrote:
    tinkerbell wrote:

Yeah but..... Kurt in particular died at his peak. Who knows whether Nirvana (or Hendrix or Joplin) would have carried on producing great music. Not all musicians are like Pearl Jam and continue to release great inspiring music - look at U2! I was just wondering aloud whether these musicians would still be as popular if they released something not so great???? (by the way still LOVE Nirvana)

whats not so great mean??? and to whom does it mean that???

many dismiss incesticide saying it missed the mark. it didnt... along with in utero it was never gonna match up to neverminds commercial success... but critically(meaning us),.. now thats another matter.

as i said... nirvanas significance had already been established... and since then have been cited by many musicians as a big influence. so had they continued nothing they released subsequently wuold have damaged that. imo.

pearl jam and nirvana are two different beasts. not sure kurt was interested in inspiring anyone. or even hoping that was a byproduct of what he was doing. anyhoo...
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Too many.... Just bring them all back
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    Kurt, Layne and Shannon. When I listen to them now and think of the lost potential . . . it makes me hurt in my heart and in my soul :cry:
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop