Options

NCAA College Football -

Comments

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    mace1229 said:
    Is SMU ever going to play a ranked team to justify their 7-0 record?
    I wish all ranked teams had to play half their games against other ranked teams. It boring watching a 72-3 blowout, even if you are a big fan of the team winning.
    I can't stand the "play a ranked opponent" argument.  Schedules are made years in advance.  Years.  A team who suddenly gets hot like UCF or SMU  doesn't have the advantage of just going out and signing on a bunch of currently ranked opponents.  And what's the point even if they did play a ranked opponent?  And win? They still wouldn't get any respect.  Play a ranked opponent then the next argument is "well, that's just one, talk to me when they play an SEC or Big Ten schedule..." 
    Utah, Boise State, and TCU ran all over every Power 5 opponent they faced in the BCS era.  All three schools undefeated against Power 5 teams in "New Years Day" bowls during BCS.  Yet none of them ever got ranked in the top 5, let alone even considered for a National Title, much less play for one.   Boise State even campaigned to join a Power 5 to shut up all the naysayers, and no one would take them.  Gee, I wonder fucking why?  Boise State and Chris Peterson had all the perennial "powerhouses" shaking in their damn shoes! 
    Rankings and playing ranked opponents are jokes anyway when the "playoff" is nothing more than a popularity contest decided by a bunch of people in a room who know absolutely nothing about sports.
    My point was more college football can be really boring when all the top teams have blowouts every week. My wife and her family were born and raised in Clemson and love watching football. Even they get bored in a 52-7 blowout game like this weekend and all the starters are gone for the entire second half. I don’t care as much about proving your rank, it’s just boring every time I turn to a top 10 team and it’s almost always a beat down of a 40-70 point spread. 

Ive heard ADs at some big schools wish they could keep schedules to 2-3 years out and have a good idea who you’re playing. Even though it happens, I don’t understand why they have to schedule games further out than that. It’s sounds like they only have to because that’s just the way it is and you won’t be left with any opponents if you wait to schedule.
  • Options
    Clemson was sending a message w that 52-7 win. They had to do that to get more points for their rankings.

Is the SEC the only conference worth watching?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Clemson was sending a message w that 52-7 win. They had to do that to get more points for their rankings.

Is the SEC the only conference worth watching?
    And they did that using their starters for only about 5 minutes of the second half. If I’m going to watch a blowout I’d like to see Trevor make some good plays. Not a 4th string QB running the ball the entire 4th quarter to prevent from running up the score even more.
    But they all do that, any team in the top 5 only has 1 or  maybe 2 wins by less than 30 points, many by 50, 60 or even 70 points.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Speaking of underserved rankings, Notre Dame is the poster child.

Have you seen how many teams have zero losses now?

Appalachian State is undefeated yo!

One day, yes one day, I will see my beloved 'Canes in the top 10.

Michigan, Auburn, Iowa, Wisconsin all have 2 losses and are in the top 20.
    to be fair, Auburns losses are both on the road to the #1 and #6 teams in the country. 
    None of it will matter until all the people in charge realize there is more money in an 8 to 16 team playoff rather than 75 ( I think that is what they may be up to now) meaningless bowl games
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options

to be fair, Auburns losses are both on the road to the #1 and #6 teams in the country. 
    None of it will matter until all the people in charge realize there is more money in an 8 to 16 team playoff rather than 75 ( I think that is what they may be up to now) meaningless bowl games
    Their losses kind of prove the point of why you should play more ranked teams.  It further cements your greatness or shows your weak schedule.

I had to look up the bowl games and I counted 30.  30 friggin bowl games...So 60 teams, 56 of them having zero shot at a title, lol.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

Their losses kind of prove the point of why you should play more ranked teams.  It further cements your greatness or shows your weak schedule.

I had to look up the bowl games and I counted 30.  30 friggin bowl games...So 60 teams, 56 of them having zero shot at a title, lol.
    It's ridiculous.  Half of Division I (er, I'm sorry, the FBS) makes a fucking bowl game.  It used to be an honor.  Now 6-6 teams play 5-7 teams in fucking bowls.  No one watches that shit.
  • Options

It's ridiculous.  Half of Division I (er, I'm sorry, the FBS) makes a fucking bowl game.  It used to be an honor.  Now 6-6 teams play 5-7 teams in fucking bowls.  No one watches that shit.
    Did u know that there is a Lockheed & Martin Armed Forces Bowl?  I didn't.  Just looked that up!

There is a Pinstripe Bowl too that is at Yankees stadium but didn't see that on the list for whatever reason?  I went to the first one in 2010.  It was fun.  The teams playing were more famous for their Basketball teams though, lol.

https://www.primesport.com/s/college-bowl-tickets
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598

Did u know that there is a Lockheed & Martin Armed Forces Bowl?  I didn't.  Just looked that up!

There is a Pinstripe Bowl too that is at Yankees stadium but didn't see that on the list for whatever reason?  I went to the first one in 2010.  It was fun.  The teams playing were more famous for their Basketball teams though, lol.

The Penn State BC Pinstripe bowl was an absolute blast.  Penn State took over. Stan's was absolute mayhem.  Good game.  Great time.
  • Options

The Penn State BC Pinstripe bowl was an absolute blast.  Penn State took over. Stan's was absolute mayhem.  Good game.  Great time.
    Ahhh you've been to one!?!  It was my first time in the new stadium, funny it was for a football game, lol.
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,750
    Willie out at FSU...
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Willie out at FSU...
    Thank god!  Though after making the decision to hire him in the first place, I don't know that I trust the AD to make a better choice to replace him.
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,915
    GO DAWGS!!!!
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    Memphis needs to thank SMU for their big jump in the rankings.
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    1. Ohio State
    2. LSU
    3. Alabama
    4. Penn State
    5. Clemson

I got to agree with the Buckeyes, they have possibly the best player in the country and he plays defense, in Chase Young. Interesting that Penn State is ranked above Clemson.  Not so bullish on Trevor Lawrence?
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    Still a lot of ball left to play. tOSU will do what happens every year, beat up on the bad teams, then lose by 30 to a great SEC team or Clemson. 
  • Options
    1. Ohio State
    2. LSU
    3. Alabama
    4. Penn State
    5. Clemson

I got to agree with the Buckeyes, they have possibly the best player in the country and he plays defense, in Chase Young. Interesting that Penn State is ranked above Clemson.  Not so bullish on Trevor Lawrence?
    Even as a big Clemson fan, I can't really argue that right now. I think they've been cruising and a little sloppy this season, but I think we'll see them fire it up in the next few weeks to secure a spot.
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,750
    mace1229 said:
    1. Ohio State
    2. LSU
    3. Alabama
    4. Penn State
    5. Clemson

Even as a big Clemson fan, I can't really argue that right now. I think they've been cruising and a little sloppy this season, but I think we'll see them fire it up in the next few weeks to secure a spot.
    Also, 2 of the teams in front of them will not be able to play for a conference championship. So, if they win out, they will be fine.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,422
    Clemson my have the easiest route to the playoffs? 
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,835
    cutz said:
    Clemson my have the easiest route to the playoffs? 
    Two teams from the top four are guaranteed to lose so Clemson will slot in easily.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    If Alabama beats LSU, LSU may still have a shot of making the playoff.  Same could be said for either Penn State or Ohio State, if the loser runs the table and wins the Big 10 championship.  Also Georgia can still make it if they run the table.
    Post edited by Glorified KC on
  • Options
    Big 10 has to be in this year.  They HAVE to.

Is that by design though?
  • Options
    The only way Clemson makes it in, is if they run the table.  Otherwise, we may have to see 2 SEC and 2 Big 10 teams.
  • Options
    There is way to much ball left to play to anticipate who will make it. And at least 2 of the top 4 teams right now are guaranteed at least one loss. 
  • Options
    If I remember right, 2  years ago (or maybe 3?) Alabama made it in after losing their championship game to Auburn. Both Auburn and Alabama had only 1 loss that year, and they took Alabama, the loser between the 2 and of the championship. So it seems unpredictable what they are looking for at times.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,691
    Chase Young. The pre-emptive suspension. The possible sanction. The likely appeal if more than this game. Is this a good argument for a player being able to warn from NIL?

Go.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216
    Gophers shaking up the rankings with a win over Penn State today.

It still seems weird to even have Penn State allowed in any sports championships. How quickly we move on when it means big profits.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,691
    tbergs said:

It still seems weird to even have Penn State allowed in any sports championships. How quickly we move on when it means big profits.
    so the athletes of today, far removed from a jailed former coach and a dead head coach should be sanctioned why?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,531
    edited November 2019
    mickeyrat said:
    tbergs said:

so the athletes of today, far removed from a jailed former coach and a dead head coach should be sanctioned why?
    I don’t think he is talking about the football players.  He is referring to the school in general that protected a pedophile for decades in the name of football glory, reputation and dollars.  You know, typical rich white collar activities that do not result in anywhere near the punishment deserved.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,531
    Typical Big Ten.  The undefeated team loses to the underdog.   Ohio State is the only program it seems that can get out of the Big Ten undefeated.  
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,450
    Typical Big Ten.  The undefeated team loses to the underdog.   Ohio State is the only program it seems that can get out of the Big Ten undefeated.  

not sure about that. rutgers and maryland do not provide much of a test.

was rooting for minny, but that offensive pass interference was questionable. PSU’s final pass was piss poor, tho.

love the looks on the faces of the bama fans. you’d have thought someone died.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16