this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    WWSWWS Ontario Posts: 458
    Black Mountain - Wilderness Heart

Yep - this ones got my vote
    '93 Toronto, '98 Barrie, '00 Toronto, '03 Buffalo, '05 Hamilton, '06 Toronto 1&2 '09 Toronto, '09 Philly #4, '11 Hamilton, '13 London, '13 Wrigley,    '13 Buffalo, '14 Detroit Rock City,'16 Ottawa, '16 Toronto 1&2, '16 Fenway '18 Wrigley 1&2, '20 Baltimore. '22 Hamilton, '24 Wrigley 1&2
  • Options
    PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    The Black Keys. Brothers is just too good of an album to overlook.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Options
    KevinmanKevinman Atlanta, GA USA Posts: 1,905
    Deerhunter's new album is great.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • Options
    TyTy Posts: 1,007
    GRINDERMAN 2... easy!
    PJ - Sydney 1998; Sydney 2003; Sydney, Melbourne, Newcastle 2006; Melbourne, Sydney 2009; Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney 2014.
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle, Sydney 2011; Sydney 2014.
  • Options
    UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    Black Keys
    Arcade Fire
    Band Of Horses

...all 3 excellent...
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • Options
    UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    WWS wrote:
    Black Mountain - Wilderness Heart

Yep - this ones got my vote

Just heard it for first time today... add that one to my shortlist too... great stuff!! :thumbup:
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I gotta give it to 'Heaven Is Whenever' - The Hold Steady.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    can't decide between the arcade fire, black keys, grinderman, the national and the hold steady... been a good year for new albums.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    I've narrowed my list down to 65 albums that will get intense listens. A decision will be drawn up from there

I think it will be tough to beat these ones though:

The Black Keys - Brothers
    Titus Andronicus - the Monitor
    Midlake - The Courage of Others
    Delta Spirit - History from Below
    Deftones - Diamond Eyes
    Band of Horses - Infinite Arms
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    I'd have to go with The Black Keys-Brothers. Such a great album up and down.
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
  • Options
    gaslight anthem - american slang. first album in a while which i just havent been able to stop listening to despite how many albums ive brought since, i keep go back to it.
    IF YOU HATE SOMETHING,.. DONT YOU DO IT TOO
  • Options
    SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
    The Walkmen-Lisbon
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I have several of the records that are repeatedly mentioned for album of the year (MGMT; Black Keys; Band of Horses, Deftones). Is there really nothing out there that stands above these records? They are all good but the state of rock is in some serious trouble if this is the best-of-the-best-of-the-best.

Sorry to be a bummer. :oops:
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    I have several of the records that are repeatedly mentioned for album of the year (MGMT; Black Keys; Band of Horses, Deftones). Is there really nothing out there that stands above these records? They are all good but the state of rock is in some serious trouble if this is the best-of-the-best-of-the-best.

Are there any albums that stand out to you this year?
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    Jason P wrote:

Not trying to sound pretentious but if Band of Horses and MGMT are the best records you've heard this year than your missing out on some great stuff.
  • Options
    Arcade Fire
    The Black Keys
    Corin Tucker Band
    Delta Spirit
    Irvine 92,Indio 93,San Fran 95,San Diego 95x2,San Diego 98,LA 98x2,San Diego 00,San Bern 00,Irvine 03,San Diego 03,Las Vegas 03,Santa Barbara 03,Vancouver 05,LA 06x2,Santa Barbara 06,Cincy 06,Leeds 06,Reading 06,Portland 09,LA 09x3,San Diego 09,NYC 10x2, PHX 13, SD 13, LAx2 13, Cincy 14, Ft Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Dana Point 21x2
  • Options
    Benzor wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

Not trying to sound pretentious but if Band of Horses and MGMT are the best records you've heard this year than your missing out on some great stuff.

It comes off as pretty pretentious though.

I really enjoy what Band of Horses do. as well i think Infinite Arms is about on par with Cease to Begin and better than the first album. Cease was one of my top few albums of that year.

If you'd prefer we just name drop band names and releases of '10 let's do it. I could certainly name more albums that weren't too good this year. probably a hundred of them
  • Options
    I really like Ray LaMontagne with his new group the Pariah Dogs and their album God Willin' and The Creek Don't Rise.

Just got the new Fistful of Mercy and like it as well.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Jason P wrote:

I'm with you. Band of Horses is ok stuff for a few tunes, but it gets repetetive and old. And as much as I like Brothers it doesn't stack up well with some other recent years' releases, not to mention pretty well total disregard for comin up with an original sound.

The best albums have a certain flow to them and albums these days seem more like collections of songs than albums.
  • Options
    NEIL YOUNG - LE NOISE"!!
    2009 - Shephards Bush, Manchester, London
    2010 - Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter
    2012 - Manchester 1+2, Berlin 1+2, Stockholm, Oslo
    2014 - Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes
  • Options
    mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    The Tallest Man on Earth - The Wild Hunt
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    Jason P wrote:

I agree

I have a free XM subscription in my car........but honestly I find myself listening to the hip hop stations more than anything else........I can't find any rock that really strikes me as exciting anymore.......I dont kno'w if its the "indie" trend or what, but it seems like nobody can actually sing anymore....
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:

Are there any albums that stand out to you this year?
    Most of the albums people have listed here do stand out to me but after a single listen-through I usually switch to something else. I judge a great album by how long it stays in rotation in my car deck. If I listen to the same record for several weeks in a row then that is a standout album to me.

To be honest though, I guess I haven't listened to enough music. I checked and I've only purchased seven records so far (the best is PJ live in Indy 2010 :thumbup: )
  • Options
    UpSideDown wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

I agree

I have a free XM subscription in my car........but honestly I find myself listening to the hip hop stations more than anything else........I can't find any rock that really strikes me as exciting anymore.......I dont kno'w if its the "indie" trend or what, but it seems like nobody can actually sing anymore....
    I had XM but canceled it. A Cranberries' song followed by Lenny Kravits' version of "American Women" pushed me over the edge one day :wtf: :crazy: :lol:
  • Options
    geckogecko Posts: 1,712
    I might be getting old, but it is 'classics' for me: Neil, The Roots, The Posies. Good musicianship & could listen to them now or leave for five years, it will be the same quality. I like lot of the indie bands already mentioned, but somehow don't find them great.
  • Options
    EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    The Gay Blades new album, Savages, is very good, maybe even on my album of the year list.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,951
    I'm gonna have to add to my list The Drums and Sleigh Bells album
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA