Options

Rage Against The Machine

Comments

• Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,877
    Zach put out Digging For Windows 3 years ago. El-P produced it. 
    Said it the day of the announcement...an amphitheater or arena tour with Run the Jewels opening would do just fine :)
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,877
    One festival dodged.  No RATM at Download.

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    Zach put out Digging For Windows 3 years ago. El-P produced it. 
    Completely forgot about that!  Listening to it was wayyyyy different from what I'd expect.

Thanks for jogging my memory of the other 1 song he's done in 20 years.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Better album: evil empire or self titled?
    Good one.

Self titled

What if you added Battle of Los Angeles to that question?
    Great album.  Battle of LA will always be number three but those others two depend on my mood. Kind of like a no code/yield dilemma. 
    I rank Battle higher than Evil.  That is just me though.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Good one.

Self titled

Great album.  Battle of LA will always be number three but those others two depend on my mood. Kind of like a no code/yield dilemma. 
    I'd agree. Battle was a more consistently strong album. Evil Empire had really strong songs on it though. Tire Me is one of my favorites. Just a balls to the wall rocker. It's hard to top the self titled album as a whole though. There was nothing else like it.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,470
    Been listening to Renegades a lot lately. Fantastic covers album.
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Good one.

Self titled

I'd agree. Battle was a more consistently strong album. Evil Empire had really strong songs on it though. Tire Me is one of my favorites. Just a balls to the wall rocker. It's hard to top the self titled album as a whole though. There was nothing else like it.
    On Evil, Rodeo was the one I really liked besides that ridiculous wah wah on Bulls.

Totally agree that Battle was a complete album.  There are some really good nuggets in each song and agree that Self titled is a masterpiece.

Bring on a friggin tour!
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,834
    Revolver and year of the boomerang on evil are two of my favorites.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,250
    Phoenix!  I'm fn there!!!  Cannot wait!
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,420
    Booked refundable flights and hotel....now just have to wait for the ticket on-sale!
  • Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,071
    Evil Empire is a top 5 rock album of all time and best in RATM catalogue, there I said it.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    jefftjefft Posts: 650
    edited November 2019
    I just watched their last gig from  london 2010 again.  Holy shit!!  If that does not make you want to see these guys again I dont know what will.
    Post edited by jefft on
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,281
    jefft said:
    I just watched their last gig from  london 2010 again.  Holy shit!!  If that does not make you want to see these guys again I dont know what will.

!
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,281
    vant0037 said:
    Evil Empire is a top 5 rock album of all time and best in RATM catalogue, there I said it.
    vant0037 said:

!
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    vant0037 said:
    Evil Empire is definitely in the Top 4 RATM studio albums of all time, that's for sure...
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    vant0037 said:
    Evil Empire is definitely in the Top 4 RATM studio albums of all time, that's for sure...
    They really only had 3... But I like what you tried to do there.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    goldrush said:
    vant0037 said:
    I was aiming for a polite way of saying that it’s my least favourite (including Renegades), but it’s still a great album  =)
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said:
    vant0037 said:
    I was aiming for a polite way of saying that it’s my least favourite (including Renegades), but it’s still a great album  =)
    You rank renegades above Evil?
  • Options

I loved their 1st two albums, but thought Battle was a step back for them, after Evil Empire.

I kind of lost interest after that, but those first two albums are untouchable IMO. I would rank self titled over EE, but not by a lot.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Like them all but I would have to be completely blown away for anything to top Self Titled from RATM
    (Which would be awesome.)

Right time, right place, right amount of "fuck you", right amount of anger. 

One of my favorite things, still, to put in my ears and go to.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    RATM, System and Public Enemy all sang about shit I still don't understand...

"What does the billboard say? Come and play, forget about the movement"  Huh?
    "The gambucha mushroom people, sitting around all day.  Who can believe you, let your mother pray"  Sure...
    "Laughing while they're searching for my 98"  I think he's talking about some test is the only thing I can come up with...
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Fist in the air in the land of hypocrisy

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

I wanna be Jackie Onassis

I wanna wear a pair of dark sunglasses...

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    RATM, System and Public Enemy all sang about shit I still don't understand...

"What does the billboard say? Come and play, forget about the movement"  Huh?
    "The gambucha mushroom people, sitting around all day.  Who can believe you, let your mother pray"  Sure...
    "Laughing while they're searching for my 98"  I think he's talking about some test is the only thing I can come up with...
    Never got into SOAD, but RATM lyrics are about how corporations entice us to "play" so that we'll stick our heads in the sand and forget about all the hard work we have to do to achieve social justice (i.e., "the movement"); PE is about how the cops can't catch him in his Olds. Chuck loved his 98. Referenced it a lot. "My 98 was 87 on a record, yo. So now I go Bronco:"
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options

Their worst song in my opinion. Just awful. 

"Jackie O-Oh-Oh-Oh Please Don't Die!" 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options

To each his own, Tire Me is one of my favorites.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I gave up on RATM after their debut, after which they should've just officially changed their band name to The Machine. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    edited November 2019

Funny to see SOAD brought up in here...

Much like Rage, I absolutely loved their first two albums, and also just like Rage, I lost interest in them when their 3rd album came out.

• Options

Funny to see SOAD brought up in here...

Much like Rage, I absolutely loved their first two albums, and also just like Rage, I lost interest in them when their 3rd album came out.

Steal this Album was pretty awesome too and it came from those Toxicity sessions. Mesmerize and Hypnotize had some good songs, but not as solid as Toxicity. I still remember illegally downloading Sugar and being blown away by that song when I first heard it. So damn awesome and lyrically nonsensical at the same time. Another band that I really fell in love with at the same time was Incubus. They had the equally crazy lyrical song Take Me to Your Leader.
  • Options

To each his own, Tire Me is one of my favorites.
    Ditto. That's like the one slow part of that whole song and while not lyrically brilliant, it's a good rhyme.