Things I'll never understand - mascara?

blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
edited July 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
The clothes thread inspired me to write this...

From a guy's perspective, mascara is one of the biggest con-jobs that women have ever fallen for.

I have not met a guy in my life who I've ever heard complemented or mention a girl's eyelashes. Besides not having any, I can't see any guy noticing eyelashes.

I heard a commercial on the radio this weekend about mascara, and they said something like "are your thin eyelashes hurting your self confidence and not making you feel attractive?" WTF?

Somewhere along the way, cosmetic companies have convinced women that thin eyelashes are ugly, and men would like them much better if they caked on some black crap on their lashes that would run all over their faces when they'd cry or sweat.

Women, can you please explain this phenomenon to me?

My whole life
was like a picture
of a sunny day
“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
― Abraham Lincoln
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    You may not compliment a woman on her eyelashes but hopefully you have complimented some about their eyes. Eyelashes define the eye (can open the eye, make the eyes look bigger, make them stand out more, etc.) and, whilst you may not 'notice' the mascara, I'm sure you notice the difference without!
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    redrock wrote:
    You may not compliment a woman on her eyelashes but hopefully you have complimented some about their eyes. Eyelashes define the eye (can open the eye, make the eyes look bigger, make them stand out more, etc.) and, whilst you may not 'notice' the mascara, I'm sure you notice the difference without!

I don't know... my wife has a cool shade of green eyes... I like her eyes... but to me they look the same with or without mascara on. I understand that eyeliner and stuff can draw your attention to the eyes (and bring out color, etc), but I can't see what mascara brings to the table.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    redrock wrote:

Ta-dah! :lol:
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Somewhere along the way, cosmetic companies have convinced women that thin eyelashes are ugly, and men would like them much better if ....

Cosmetic companies have convinced us also that my smile lines are a fault.

Diet companies have convinced me that men would like me more if I was less curvy and more thin.

Shampoo ads have convinced me that no man would ever want to be with me since I have short hair that I can't stupidly toss around when I giggle at every inane thing that is said to me.

My teeth aren't white enough, my glasses are a turn off, my porcelain skin is "out"....

Someone created this monster, mascara and skimpy eyelashes are the least of my worries.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,262
    I love mascara. It adds a little sultry something.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    I don't wear makeup but when formally dressed I will don a bit of colored lip gloss. Personally I prefer my face clean. I have worn makeup in the past but inevitably although I was aiming for "hot" I ended up looking more like "crack whore." The mascara was the worst, it would flake off, or I'd rub my eye and would end up looking like a baseball player on a sunny day in right field.

Having said that, I have many friends who wear makeup, some of them a lot of it, and they look nice. But some of them, if you see them without their makeup, can be scary.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    edited July 2010
    i had no clue what mascara was until i thread your explanation.
    to me it could have been make-up for the cheeks or lips or hair.
    tons of make-up sucks nuts.

i adore a woman's eyes.
    i will lick them if given the opportunity.
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    redrock wrote:
    :lol::lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    I have worn makeup in the past but inevitably although I was aiming for "hot" I ended up looking more like "crack whore."

you say that like it's a bad thing
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Didn't go without til recently, but you are right in that my husband thinks my eyes are beautiful without make-up.
    I think men do believe this, maybe women don't. But if one can tell you are wearing it you are probably wearing too much or the wrong shade for your coloring, I think it should be light. All make-up all ages light is better to enhance natural beauty.
    We all have natural beauty especially if we smile :D
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    I can live without makeup...would rather have lip balm...but I do look more "awake" when I wear it. I think especially for people with blonde eyelashes it helps define the eye.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    I saw a commercial the other day that advertised a product that made eyelashes grow longer. It was freaky as hell. is there anything left that can just go on as natural for godsake?

My g/f has very blonde hair and her eyelashes are kinda light. When she puts on mascara, it really brings out her eyes. It is the only make-up she wears (very infrequently), but it's very nice on her.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    norm wrote:
    I have worn makeup in the past but inevitably although I was aiming for "hot" I ended up looking more like "crack whore."

you say that like it's a bad thing

:lol: :lolno: :problem: Come to think of it... I don't recall Mr. Unlost Dogs complaining...
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    Somewhere along the way, cosmetic companies have convinced women that thin eyelashes are ugly, and men would like them much better if ....

Diet companies have convinced me that men would like me more if I was less curvy and more thin.

Shampoo ads have convinced me that no man would ever want to be with me since I have short hair that I can't stupidly toss around when I giggle at every inane thing that is said to me.

My teeth aren't white enough, my glasses are a turn off, my porcelain skin is "out"....

Someone created this monster, mascara and skimpy eyelashes are the least of my worries.

I know...guys are hot au naturel so why can't it be the same for women?? Perhaps it is moreso than we think but the media trains us to think we have to strive to be "better" so we have to examine ourselves and look for "faults" :?

I am not sure why long hair is deemed sexier...no offense to those with long hair but I have found guys really do like short hair. At certain moments it certainly has its advantages ;)

I am learning to love my curves. :D
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    pink-cigarette-5001139.jpg:D

Short Hair and Curves are a very good thing.

I know...guys are hot au naturel so why can't it be the same for women?? Perhaps it is moreso than we think but the media trains us to think we have to strive to be "better" so we have to examine ourselves and look for "faults" :?

I am not sure why long hair is deemed sexier...no offense to those with long hair but I have found guys really do like short hair. At certain moments it certainly has its advantages ;)

I am learning to love my curves. :D
    My ex loved short hair. Maybe that's why he's my ex? :|:lol: I just can't pull off short hair...my hair is way too wavy and thick...it turns into a bush...NOT attractive :lol: But curves...yeah...those seem to be popular :lol:

• small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    My ex loved short hair. Maybe that's why he's my ex? :|:lol: I just can't pull off short hair...my hair is way too wavy and thick...it turns into a bush...NOT attractive :lol: But curves...yeah...those seem to be popular :lol:

Maybe :lol: I would love longer hair but I have such fine hair that I can't go too long and even when it is at my shoulders well it doesn't look like much hair :oops: :lol: so I just rock the short hair :mrgreen: I always wanted wavy and thick hair though *sigh* I guess we always want what we don't have. I am not anti long hair but some people seem to think that women SHOULD have long hair and that drives me nuts. It doesn't look good on all of us.

Maybe :lol: I would love longer hair but I have such fine hair that I can't go too long and even when it is at my shoulders well it doesn't look like much hair :oops: :lol: so I just rock the short hair :mrgreen: I always wanted wavy and thick hair though *sigh* I guess we always want what we don't have. I am not anti long hair but some people seem to think that women SHOULD have long hair and that drives me nuts. It doesn't look good on all of us.
    and i always wanted short, straight hair :lol: exactly! we should just do what's right for us and not feel like we have to fit into some kind of mold :x

• LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    I used to not leave the house without makeup. Eyeliner..shadow...I rarely even thought of mascara. When I do use it I can tell the difference. Lately, ok the last year or so, I go to work with pretty much lip balm and concealer and that's it. But in the last week or two I have been trying to make time for at least eye liner. This thread made me whip out the makeup bag and put it on. Even if it is part way through the work day.

I know people are pretty without makeup but, a little pale shimmery eyeshadow and the right eye liner and whoa! I don't look like I just woke up, I look like a put together professional. I am happy with or without but, looks wise, I definitely prefer with.
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
    nestor_carbonell.jpg discuss
    female curves are incredible.
    women don't get enough praise.
    every single day should be chic day.

lots of shopping or puppy time.
    not that im going shopping with them.
    just sayin.

mascara and curves... that'll work nicely.
    and thank you, ladies.

carry on.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    KOYOURASS wrote:
    i am scared of the region around his eyes.
    2 minutes ago he had one bulky eyebrow.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276

clearly, you are a chicago transplant. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    chadwick wrote:
    KOYOURASS wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:

:eh: Who is that, anyway?
    chadwick wrote:
    KOYOURASS wrote:

don't ask me
    i have no clue
    but we can play the guessing game, yes/no?

i guess he is pete roses's best buddy, they are kinda funny like that.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    chadwick wrote:
    KOYOURASS wrote:

I thought you watched Lost? :?
    GoiMTvP.gif
    He's an Actor. keep guessing
    KOYOURASS wrote:
    is it paul stanley?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    tumblr_l3ux81mHJq1qzg84yo1_250.jpg

I am Batmanuel!
    KOYOURASS wrote:

I didn't watch "Lost."

And is he wearing eyeliner?!?

Wait _ is it Chadwick???? :shock: