Options

The video game thread.

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    A mere 16 hours until the world gets to watch Bethesda bungle the Wastelanders Fallout 76 launch!  

Surface Never!  Vault Forever!
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,946
    Speaking of 2018-- had completely forgot a MEGA MAN 11 was released. 

Anyone dug it? Thinking about playing through it with my brothers as soon as Corona is gone.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    Finally picked Mario Odyssey back up last week. Last time I played it was 2018. Didn't realize it had been that long.
    After the first reveal, it came off as kind of uninteresting to me...

Not sure why. My brother loved it.

Loved Odyssey , its no Mario Galaxy 1 or 2 but I thought it was a great game. Got ever last Star in Odyssey , some of those later levels man they really test you.
  • Options
    Fallout 76 Wastelanders is live.  NPC's!  Never thought I'd be happy about a npc.  Finally feels like a Fallout game.  And as a bonus, they did a graphics upgrade on the lighting in the game and it is noticeably better.  Caught the moon reflecting off my scope in detail that never caught my eye before.

The poor, poor raiders.   I've been itching to go on a murder spree for quite some time.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Final Fantasy 7 remake is great so far.   6 hours in

they definitely expanded things.   
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,946
    Is Rayman Legends worth picking up?

Any other Wii-U Titles one should get? (Not getting a Switch untill 1) there is a version without a screen orn  2) Metroid is released)

I'm skipping Xenoblade and Bayonetta. But any others that might be easy to forget, but should be played?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Matts3221 said:
    Finally picked Mario Odyssey back up last week. Last time I played it was 2018. Didn't realize it had been that long.

Loved Odyssey , its no Mario Galaxy 1 or 2 but I thought it was a great game. Got ever last Star in Odyssey , some of those later levels man they really test you.
    It's one of the most fun games I've ever played.  I'm not sure why I ever put it down and left it alone for a year and a half?  I've yet to beat the Dark Side of the Moon but right now I'm going back and getting any purple coins I missed.  Some of these fuckers are hard to find!!  I'm not even trying to get all moons.  There are some that I just don't have the skill to pull off.  I still can't do a fucking Cappy Jump.

• Options
    Matts3221 said:

It's one of the most fun games I've ever played.  I'm not sure why I ever put it down and left it alone for a year and a half?  I've yet to beat the Dark Side of the Moon but right now I'm going back and getting any purple coins I missed.  Some of these fuckers are hard to find!!  I'm not even trying to get all moons.  There are some that I just don't have the skill to pull off.  I still can't do a fucking Cappy Jump.

The Cappy Jump is key for some stars , are you playing it on TV or just on the Switch ? I feel that if you are just playing it hand held it is almost impossible to do the Cappy jump.

One of the last starts for me was jump rope 100 times in the Metro Kingdom. Although I read a tip , did it and got it on the first time , basically you have to make it to 50 jumps and then close your eyes and hit the jump button as you hear the noise of clearing a jump , it actual worked not looking at the screen.

I might end up start it up again this weekend , currently replaying Uncharted 4 since it was a PS Plus game this weekend , and I have the last episode of Life Is Strange 2 to play as well. I also want to re-play Mario Galaxy 2.

• Options
    angry_skullangry_skull Posts: 321

I played the demo...it was amazing. Not sure I want to chase that dragon again though. Beating Sephiroth once was tough enough.

• Options
    Matts3221 said:
    Matts3221 said:

The Cappy Jump is key for some stars , are you playing it on TV or just on the Switch ? I feel that if you are just playing it hand held it is almost impossible to do the Cappy jump.

One of the last starts for me was jump rope 100 times in the Metro Kingdom. Although I read a tip , did it and got it on the first time , basically you have to make it to 50 jumps and then close your eyes and hit the jump button as you hear the noise of clearing a jump , it actual worked not looking at the screen.

I might end up start it up again this weekend , currently replaying Uncharted 4 since it was a PS Plus game this weekend , and I have the last episode of Life Is Strange 2 to play as well. I also want to re-play Mario Galaxy 2.

Always in TV mode and I have a pro controller.  I can just never get the timing, button combo, aim, or any combination thereof to ever work correctly when I want to do something. I basically only ever pull off moves by button mashing and hoping I nailed it by pure coincidence.  3D Mario games are just not my forte when it comes to controls.  I enjoy them greatly, but I also suck at them!  It's why I also don't play Smash Bros (or any fighting game for that matter). 
  • Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Been slacking on my gaming a little bit as far as starting anything new goes. Tonight I'm starting either Borderlands 3 or The Division 2. 
  • Options

I played the demo...it was amazing. Not sure I want to chase that dragon again though. Beating Sephiroth once was tough enough.

Im now 14 hours in.  So far its my favorite game of the past year.  Its weird that they made Midgar be the entire first volume, but man such a great story.  Great writing so far.  Cut scenes are amazing too. I can never play the original FF7 again lol. 
  • Options
    I kind of like that they are splitting FF7 up in the remakes ... 
  • Options
    Sony is giving two free games (Journey; Uncharted Collection) since everyone is sitting on their butts.  You don't need PS Plus.  Free to all (I think)
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,726
    I just got into Fortnite. My friend plays it and he got me into it during the quarantine. Pretty fun. And free, which is cool. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Matts3221 said:
    Matts3221 said:

Always in TV mode and I have a pro controller.  I can just never get the timing, button combo, aim, or any combination thereof to ever work correctly when I want to do something. I basically only ever pull off moves by button mashing and hoping I nailed it by pure coincidence.  3D Mario games are just not my forte when it comes to controls.  I enjoy them greatly, but I also suck at them!  It's why I also don't play Smash Bros (or any fighting game for that matter). 

The key is using the Joy Con controls , because you can flick it really easy instead of using the pro controller , I think Joy Con is the way to go detached from the switch at least for Odyssey.
  • Options
    Matts3221 said:
    Matts3221 said:
    Matts3221 said:

The key is using the Joy Con controls , because you can flick it really easy instead of using the pro controller , I think Joy Con is the way to go detached from the switch at least for Odyssey.
    I’ll have to give it a try. I just got my joycons back from the repair thing a few months back but I never really use them. It seems like it should be a very intuitive adjustment but it just doesn’t feel right to me. I guess I’ve only ever used regular controllers all my life now that I think about it. 
    I did manage to unlock the Darker Side... I forgot that was a thing. And I’ve got all the purple coins up to the Snow Kingdom. Working on the last 10 there.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Been an absolute crackhead on out of the park baseball 21 perfect team.

It's one of those modes that you get packs of cards and make lineups to go against others in a complex honeycomb of promotion/relegation leagues and tournaments.  

I always avoid those things in video games... but this is awesome
  • Options
    Fallout 76 Wastelanders has completely changed the game.  The missions with NPC characters is really nice but having random encounters while exploring seem abundant and make the world feel alive.  I enjoyed Fallout 76 but the world did feel empty before this update.  Seems like the 16 max online per server matches well with the NPC count.    Finally feel like a fallout game.  Hats off to Bethesda for the reclamation of a universally panned game without charging for any updates / expansions.

Other things I've notice in about 10 hours of gameplay over the last week:
    * Graphics and lighting have significant upgrades
    * the d-pad for quick weapon selection doesn't have a delay anymore ... which is huge for anyone trying to frantically switch weapons under assault in the past
    * See more expansive weapon drop with perks
    * No server drops or lag while playing

I'd give it another shot if you gave up on it 
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736
    Haven't been into the video game scene for a few years now but have been thinking about getting back into it.  And now that they are finally bringing back a PGA Tour game I may have to get myself an xbox one.  Pros and cons of Xbox one X vs S?  I've looked into it briefly but the main difference seems to be X has 4K graphics and S does not.
  • Options
    Haven't been into the video game scene for a few years now but have been thinking about getting back into it.  And now that they are finally bringing back a PGA Tour game I may have to get myself an xbox one.  Pros and cons of Xbox one X vs S?  I've looked into it briefly but the main difference seems to be X has 4K graphics and S does not.
    I would not recommend an S.  Here is the performance for each machine weakest to strongest:  Xbox One S < PS4 < PS4 Pro < Xbox One X

There isn't much of a performance chasm between the PS4 and the PS4 Pro, but the performance gap between the S and X is significant.

To be honest, you should see discounts on the X when the new gen rolls out in the fall. 
  • Options
    I saw the Xbox lineup for next gen ... the games looked cool, but I didn't really see anything that really interested me, but I think the intent of the event was eye candy.

Unlike past generations, I've not seen anything that compels me to buy next gen on launch day if the games are being developed for comparability with current and next gen.  By the time the game developers start phasing out PS4/X support, the next gen will be launching their "pro" models.

I'll probably still get my hands on at least one of them launch day ...
  • Options
    ElEl Posts: 139
    I think I may opt in more for PS5. I own both Xbox One and PS4 and I think the Xbox was a bad buy, as I almost never played anything on it.

While on PS4 there were some nice games, like FF7 Remake Uncharted. Looking at exclusives (even the limited time ones) I think I may have more games to play on the PS5. 
    Music is what feelings sound like.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,252
    Jason P said:
    I saw the Xbox lineup for next gen ... the games looked cool, but I didn't really see anything that really interested me, but I think the intent of the event was eye candy.

Unlike past generations, I've not seen anything that compels me to buy next gen on launch day if the games are being developed for comparability with current and next gen.  By the time the game developers start phasing out PS4/X support, the next gen will be launching their "pro" models.

I'll probably still get my hands on at least one of them launch day ...
    I'm almost certain to sign up for a PS5 pre-order.  The game list will probably be limited, but we also haven't heard much of anything from Sony.  I'm pretty sure they'll have at least one first party game.  Word is it may be a Horizon: Zero Dawn sequel....which would be badass IMO.  
    I actually really want a reason to own both systems, but at this point it's going to be PS5. 
  • Options
    Sony all the way
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,252
    Yeah, if you're set on getting an XBOX, don't bother with the "S".  Go for the "X" and if you can wait a couple of months, you should see a pretty decent reduction in price.  The more news that comes out about their new system, they will naturally have to reduce the cost of the current generation systems.  
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    I'll get a Series X but I'm not likely to pull the trigger at launch.
  • Options
    All signs point to the Series X being a steal at $500 while people are wondering if Sony will be able to get the cost under $700.  The graphic processor in the series X is a the mid-upper range AMD Ryzen graphics card for PC gaming ... that alone cost over $400.   Everything I'm seeing puts the components in the series X equal to about $1000 if you were to build your own PC ... that is the performance I'm expecting.  It's going to be able to run 120 FPS at at least 4K if not 8K.  It will be a beast.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    ^ edit: i think I may have seen the Series X can do 240 FPS ... but a lot of that is dependent if your TV has the technology to run it, which very few TVs currently can (most can't do 120!).
  • Options
    Leathe?ma?Leathe?ma? Яussia Posts: 354
    Sony > Nintendo >> Xbox