Options

The video game thread.

Comments

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Jason P said:
    Yeah I thought keeping the "switch" name when it doesn't switch was odd, but it makes sense to avoid confusion when parents are buying games for their kids.  I was really hoping they would make the battery a lot more powerful, but they are estimating about the same as the original Switch.
    Yeah, it is definitely a good thing to avoid confusion.  Look at their DS lineup.  There are like three different types of DS games and not all are compatible with all DS systems.  This way, a Switch is a Switch and the games are swappable.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Supposed to be super hot this weekend so I might try getting into Kingdom Come: Deliverance.  It's been described as Elder Scrolls Oblivion meets medieval peasant simulator.  Obviously no fantasy aspects, but it looks like Oblivion in the screen shots.

I'm thinking of giving my Game of the Year nominations and award in September this year since the current trend by developers is to ship unfinished game in the late fall and then hopefully complete them via patches six month later.  Right now MLB the Show 19 is the clear front runner although I've yet had the chance to play Sekiro ... still need to beat Dark Souls III =)
  • Options
    The Outer Worlds comes out in October for PC, Xbox ... and TBD for the Switch(!)  from the makers of Fallout New Vegas ...

looks bitch'n

• Options
    Switch news:

* SNES games are available now if you are a online member ($20/yr ... worth it for Tetris 99 alone)
    * Divinity Original Sin 2 was surprised released a few days ago ... a technical marvel for the Switch.  This is the 2nd major PC game (Civ VI) to be released.  The saves also link up with your Steam account so you can play your PC save on the go.
    * Overwatch will be released later this year

I continue to be impressed by what this under-powered tiny machine can do
  • Options
    Been binging some Link to the Past on Switch all weekend. Haven’t decided if I’m gonna buy one of the controllers.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    The Sega Genesis Mini was released yesterday (still need to pick mine up)

It seems like the reviews are very good for this.
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    MayDay10 said:
    The Sega Genesis Mini was released yesterday (still need to pick mine up)

It seems like the reviews are very good for this.
    Yeah I am thinking about picking this up.
    The downside for me is having to get a 6 button controller just to play Street Fighter :)
  • Options
    what are people's thoughts on next gen systems?  PS5 seems to be about 12-15 months away... and I have to say, I have almost no desire to upgrade.  If it somehow comes with backwards capability all the way to PS1, it may get my wallet out.  

It seems like I just enjoy retro gaming almost 99% of the time.  I love franchises like Fallout and Red Dead and this round put minimal time into those newest releases, and never even tried Fallout 76.  A new Elder Scrolls game would be tough to resist though.

I dont know what it is.  New games just seem so complex, but easy at the same time.  I also dislike online play because I cannot invest time to get good or play enough (or pay enough) to earn perks and advantages.  
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,252
    MayDay10 said:
    what are people's thoughts on next gen systems?  PS5 seems to be about 12-15 months away... and I have to say, I have almost no desire to upgrade.  If it somehow comes with backwards capability all the way to PS1, it may get my wallet out.  

It seems like I just enjoy retro gaming almost 99% of the time.  I love franchises like Fallout and Red Dead and this round put minimal time into those newest releases, and never even tried Fallout 76.  A new Elder Scrolls game would be tough to resist though.

I dont know what it is.  New games just seem so complex, but easy at the same time.  I also dislike online play because I cannot invest time to get good or play enough (or pay enough) to earn perks and advantages.  
    I'm not necessarily looking forward to next gen systems, I will almost certainly buy one.  I am a bit of a sucker for new technology.
    I tend to agree with you on the complexity thing, though my issue may have more to do with controls and learning a new game.  I played Red Dead 2 a LOT when it came out and enjoyed every second of it.  I beat it, stopped playing (online wasn't working at the time) for a few months.  Went back to play it again and got MAD because I couldn't remember the controls.  I eventually figured it out, but learning new controls, or trying to remember them sorta pisses me off.  I'm also at the point now where I can't jump back and forth from one game to another.  I pretty much have to finish a game before I touch another.  
    I sort of agree with the online thing.  Most competitive online games, count me out.  I don't have the time or the desire to master that shit anymore.  Red Dead 2 online has been fun.  I go at my own pace, don't give a crap about rank...I just like to play the missions and try to save up for new goodies.  The Dark Souls games are brilliant online and wouldn't want to play them any other way.  

Backward compatibility would be cool, but honestly, I don't really play any, or really want to play any PS1, PS2 or PS3 games.  Didn't Sony say the PS5 will be b/c with the PS4?  Thought I heard that...which would be cool, esp if it bumps up graphics on those PS4 games while we wait for new PS5 games to come out.  It's also supposed to have a solid state HD so loading should be a thing of the past.  

While I don't play my Switch nearly as much as my PS4, I do like it for its simplicity.  You learn the controls in 30 seconds and you're good to go.
  • Options
    They said that it will be backwards compatible with PS4 games.

There is a patent they have for backwards capability technology back to PS1 so that created some speculation.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    They said that it will be backwards compatible with PS4 games.

There is a patent they have for backwards capability technology back to PS1 so that created some speculation.
    Ah, hadn't heard that (bc to PS1).  Would be cool.  Don't they individually sell a lot of those old school games on the PS store?  I'd think they'd lose some $ if they let you pop in a PS1 or PS2 disc you had sitting around instead of buying it from the store.  I dunno.
  • Options
    I'm waiting to see some specs.  I will end up getting either the microsoft or Sony system, whichever looks better.  The current gen systems don't even support 4K unless you have an Xbox One X (PS4 Pro kinda fakes it but still looks good).  I hoping for an all-out horsepower war between Sony and Microsoft.

That said, it will be 2 years before game developers start to harness the full power of each system.  And 3 years before a solid game library is available.  If they have backwards compatibility and you have a 4K TV and have not upgraded to the Xbox One X or PS4 Pro, it seems like a no brainer.  The console is one of the few ways people can really utilize 4K from their 4K TV.  Most people don't even realize that they are watching 720p /1080p TV on their 4K sets.
  • Options
    mca47 said:
    MayDay10 said:

I'm not necessarily looking forward to next gen systems, I will almost certainly buy one.  I am a bit of a sucker for new technology.
    I tend to agree with you on the complexity thing, though my issue may have more to do with controls and learning a new game.  I played Red Dead 2 a LOT when it came out and enjoyed every second of it.  I beat it, stopped playing (online wasn't working at the time) for a few months.  Went back to play it again and got MAD because I couldn't remember the controls.  I eventually figured it out, but learning new controls, or trying to remember them sorta pisses me off.  I'm also at the point now where I can't jump back and forth from one game to another.  I pretty much have to finish a game before I touch another.  
    I have a similar experience in trying to remember what I was doing in the game when I come back to it, esp RPGs.

I'm not really too excited on getting the next gen systems, but I did confirm that the new Xbox Elite series 2 was compatible with the new system before I bought it.
    I've been playing 1 game for most of the last 4 years, it's expensive to buy a system just for one game.
  • Options
    Destiny. I just can't stop. I try...but I can't.
    I'll check out the FF7 re-release until I remember it stole so much of my life.
    Used to play EA's NHL, but then they added about 50 buttons to the controller.
    And I'm a sucker for Need For Speed & EA Golf.
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    I'm waiting to see some specs.  I will end up getting either the microsoft or Sony system, whichever looks better.  The current gen systems don't even support 4K unless you have an Xbox One X (PS4 Pro kinda fakes it but still looks good).  I hoping for an all-out horsepower war between Sony and Microsoft.

That said, it will be 2 years before game developers start to harness the full power of each system.  And 3 years before a solid game library is available.  If they have backwards compatibility and you have a 4K TV and have not upgraded to the Xbox One X or PS4 Pro, it seems like a no brainer.  The console is one of the few ways people can really utilize 4K from their 4K TV.  Most people don't even realize that they are watching 720p /1080p TV on their 4K sets.
    I think we've been at a point where hardware is much further evolved than the actual functionality.
    How long have 4K TVs been out, yet most TV services don't support it.  Few videogames run natively in 4K, and now Sony is talking about 8K?  Give me a break.  I know Sony and MS don't want to make the "lesser system" with fewer specs, but all it's doing is driving up the price for a box that will never really get utilized.  

• Options
    mca47 said:
    Jason P said:

I think we've been at a point where hardware is much further evolved than the actual functionality.
    How long have 4K TVs been out, yet most TV services don't support it.  Few videogames run natively in 4K, and now Sony is talking about 8K?  Give me a break.  I know Sony and MS don't want to make the "lesser system" with fewer specs, but all it's doing is driving up the price for a box that will never really get utilized.  

Exactly. It's all just bragging rights and boasting about what your system "can" do, not that it will ever be put to use.  It's kinda like cellphones.  All it does is fuel the fanboys so they can mouthbreath all over each other about who has the better tech.
  • Options
    I think a new NCAA Football and possibly hoops game could inspire me to upgrade.

• Options
    8K seems far away but if the new systems have an 7-8 year lifespan it is nice to know you will not need to upgrade to a 'pro' model in the future.  4K seemed far away when the PS4 was released with 1080HD, but the 4K TV market has expanded significantly in the last 5 years.  They need to pack as much of the new tech into the consoles as possible to try to future proof them.  

• Options
    MayDay10 said:
    I think a new NCAA Football and possibly hoops game could inspire me to upgrade.

Yes, but highly unlikely.  All the politicians and SJW will point out that NCAA games exploit the likeliness of the amateur players.  Uh, all the NCAA does is exploit amateur players ... so why not include a kick ass video game while were at it?

I tried playing NCAA 14 from the xbox 360 on the xbox one ... but it won't let you play it because of licensing issues, which is kinda nuts considering I can still go play Tecmo Super Bowl with Joe efffing Montana.
  • Options
    Destiny. I just can't stop. I try...but I can't.
    I'll check out the FF7 re-release until I remember it stole so much of my life.
    Used to play EA's NHL, but then they added about 50 buttons to the controller.
    And I'm a sucker for Need For Speed & EA Golf.
    Haha yeah Destiny is all I play.
    Whenever FF7 gets released for XB1 I'll devote my soul to that.
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    8K seems far away but if the new systems have an 7-8 year lifespan it is nice to know you will not need to upgrade to a 'pro' model in the future.  4K seemed far away when the PS4 was released with 1080HD, but the 4K TV market has expanded significantly in the last 5 years.  They need to pack as much of the new tech into the consoles as possible to try to future proof them.  

Whether you upgrade or not mid lifespan is your call, but I'm 100% certain both Sony and MS will have a "Pro" version coming out at some point.  What that will be?  Who knows.  I just think they'll both look to see how well their Pro/X "upgrades" sold and will want to do the same at some point.  
    We shall see.

Anyone try out Apple Arcade?  I see it's gotten some pretty solid reviews so far.  And you can use your Xbox or PS4 controller on it, which I think is kinda cool.  
  • Options
    Last of Us 2 looks incredible!
  • Options
    mca47 said:
    Jason P said:

Whether you upgrade or not mid lifespan is your call, but I'm 100% certain both Sony and MS will have a "Pro" version coming out at some point.  What that will be?  Who knows.  I just think they'll both look to see how well their Pro/X "upgrades" sold and will want to do the same at some point.  
    We shall see.

Anyone try out Apple Arcade?  I see it's gotten some pretty solid reviews so far.  And you can use your Xbox or PS4 controller on it, which I think is kinda cool.  
    Based on the pro releases of the current gen, that would happen in either the year 2024 or 2025 ... which only gives you a few years to enjoy it before everyone is dead and the earth spontaneously combusts due to global warming.  I'll probably be playing my SNES on a rocket headed towards Mars by then anyway ... can't bring my Xbox One due to continuous always online restrictions. 
  • Options
    Leathe?ma?Leathe?ma? Яussia Posts: 354
    mca47 said:
    Last of Us 2 looks incredible!
    YESSSS
  • Options
    PSA - the free game on PS4 this month is MLB The Show 19 (if you have the psn membership).  This is a really good game even if you are not a big baseball fan ... you might become one playing it.  This is my early contender for game of the year and possible top ten all-time game ever.  So grab this nugget if you can get it for free.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Word is at launch, the PS5 will have two models available. Standard and Pro.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    I would like to see expandable RAM slots in the new systems ... seeing how the tech will already be old once the units are in production.
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    PSA - the free game on PS4 this month is MLB The Show 19 (if you have the psn membership).  This is a really good game even if you are not a big baseball fan ... you might become one playing it.  This is my early contender for game of the year and possible top ten all-time game ever.  So grab this nugget if you can get it for free.
    thanks.   wouldnt have checked.  Going to grab that one.  Havent had a show since like 14 or 15.
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    what makes this release so great?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Outer Worlds thoughts

Got home and have about two hours of actual gameplay (while watching world series in the background)...

* I spent over 2 hours pondering over how to allot six attribute points in character creation ... always the sign of an epic RPG!
    * Production is top notch and this game should be given an award for being this polished out of the gate.
    * Controls are standard HALO FPS with a few changes on top bumpers ... my main point is that it will feel very natural to anyone who has played HALO or COD for any amount of time. 
    * I think anyone who feels like they got dumped on by Bethesda with Fallout 76, well this game may be your elixir.