Options

The video game thread.

Comments

• Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    Jason P wrote:
    rival. wrote:
    disappointing to hear that modern warfare won't update their engines. might pass on it, especially with the whole franchise going pretty stale in my opinon.
    I put Black Ops in for the first time since Xmas this weekend .... it took me about 30 minutes to realize why it had been collecting dust. :( Stale is a very good term to describe the series, but when Activision keeps chucking them out an annual basis and gamers keep giving them billions of dollars, what motivation do they have to change?

By the way, whatever became of Activision's Guitar Hero series ..... :ugeek: :think:

exactly. that plus $15 map DLCs that are out once a month. it's incredible. i am a victim of cod series. although stale, the matches are quick, it is easy to sign in, play a couple rounds to kill time, then sign off and go do whatever you were waiting to do.

i have and always will prefer battlefield, but the matches are long. 20/25 minutes each, sometimes longer. hard to sign on, play a quick match and sign off. if i pop in battlefield, i am in for a long haul.
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Jason P wrote:
    Speaking of Skyrim, I finally beat Oblivion this last weekend! I got my first achievement in March of 2006 so just over five years to complete. :mrgreen:

I enjoyed every minute of the 200+ hours I invested in it too (well, except the 12 hours I spent searching for Jauffre because I told him to wait somewhere in 2007 and two years later when I decided to finish the main quest line, I couldn't find the fucking bastard!) :evil: :lol:
    I still can't find Shadowmere....he's probably got half my stuff!
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    The Nintendo 3DS is dropping in price from $250 to $170 on August 12th.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/07/3ds-drops-to-16999-in-august-early-adopters-given-free-games.ars

Very temping, especially with Ocarina of Time out. I still have concerns with the battery life. And Nintendo is notorious with putting out newer models to fix issues in the debut. I still think I will stay with my original plan of waiting for the 2nd model and let their game library build up.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,254
    Jason P wrote:
    The Nintendo 3DS is dropping in price from $250 to $170 on August 12th.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/07/3ds-drops-to-16999-in-august-early-adopters-given-free-games.ars

Very temping, especially with Ocarina of Time out. I still have concerns with the battery life. And Nintendo is notorious with putting out newer models to fix issues in the debut. I still think I will stay with my original plan of waiting for the 2nd model and let their game library build up.

Yeah, I personally hold off until the updated 3DS comes out. That first one seems like it has lots of issues!
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Anyone playing NCAA 2012. Thinking about getting it. I enjoy the NCAA franchise more than the madden.
  • Options
    Interesting article!
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.gad ... index.html

Do you complete your games? What I personally find disturbing about the article is how it's become a consensus among developers to put out these short games. F that! I complete almost every game that I have, I love long, massive games that take 30+ hours to complete!
    Don't get me wrong, I like the mindlessness of Call of Duty Multiplayer, where I can get in and get out with little time or anything else invested, but there is something to be said from the game you play for 30 hours.
    Besides, I always feel like I'm ripped off a week or so after buying a Call of Duty game, and it's always one that I trade in when the new one comes out. A game like Uncharted 2, while its story driven, and may not have a lot of replay-ability, it's a beautifully produced and engrossing game...one that never leads you to think "Shit, I paid $65 for that?!" The article mentions Red Dead Redemption. Another great game!
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    mca47 wrote:
    Interesting article!
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.gad ... index.html

Do you complete your games? What I personally find disturbing about the article is how it's become a consensus among developers to put out these short games. F that! I complete almost every game that I have, I love long, massive games that take 30+ hours to complete!
    Don't get me wrong, I like the mindlessness of Call of Duty Multiplayer, where I can get in and get out with little time or anything else invested, but there is something to be said from the game you play for 30 hours.
    Besides, I always feel like I'm ripped off a week or so after buying a Call of Duty game, and it's always one that I trade in when the new one comes out. A game like Uncharted 2, while its story driven, and may not have a lot of replay-ability, it's a beautifully produced and engrossing game...one that never leads you to think "Shit, I paid $65 for that?!" The article mentions Red Dead Redemption. Another great game!

sometimes after a long night of beers, I'll throw on Red Dead and just wander around shooting shit up. Love that game.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    i am obsessed with windows space cadet pinball

Ooh, that sounds like a good one. Is that an app or a link?
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744
    Can't wait for this one. Less than a month....

http://www.ea.com/nhl
  • Options

Yeah, it looks good for sure!
    The only sports games I actually enjoy anymore are EA's NHL 20xx games and MLB The Show. Some NCAA football is ok, but I cannot stand Madden at all anymore. Every couple of years I think "Maybe I'll try the new Madden", and am disappointed 10 minutes in.
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:

The only sports games I actually enjoy anymore are EA's NHL 20xx games and MLB The Show. Some NCAA football is ok, but I cannot stand Madden at all anymore. Every couple of years I think "Maybe I'll try the new Madden", and am disappointed 10 minutes in.

The past few years, I've been on a cycle for sports games where the only 2 that I buy are NHL and Tiger Woods. WIth the time of year that they both come out, I get a few solid months of playing time for each. Works out nice.
  • Options
    NHL 2012 was once again able to up the ante in gameplay. The physics engine somehow got even better. If you are a hockey fan, you won't have any regrets.
  • Options
    EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    anybody got a copy of Bioshock for xbox they want to send my way? mine is scratched right at the climax of the game. damn shame too. my favorite game of all time by far.

On a different note, three days till Gears 3!
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:

MLB The Show is the greatest sports game ever. I'm not sure why ya don't like Madden anymore. I think it's improved every year with this year's being the best.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    ElEl Posts: 139
    I started to play the first Deus Ex before I get my fingers on Human Revolution. Such an old game and it still keeps up with new ones. Classic.
    Music is what feelings sound like.
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    NHL 2012 was once again able to up the ante in gameplay. The physics engine somehow got even better. If you are a hockey fan, you won't have any regrets.

Thats what I keep hearing! Haven't had a chance to pick it up yet. Too much football to watch this weekend...I'll pick it up on Monday
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:

Thats what I keep hearing! Haven't had a chance to pick it up yet. Too much football to watch this weekend...I'll pick it up on Monday

I stopped buying hockey games after NHL 2K7, which I traded in after a few days. I still play NHL 2K6, which I believe to be the perfect hockey game. The next year was terrible I thought so I just went back to 2K6. I stopped playing the EA games after the 2K series started because they were sort of arcade like in comparison, where 2K were more simulation based. It's the only game I still play on my old XBOX.

I might rent NHL 2012 though, just to check it out. I kind of like the old school game though, my top line of Joe Nieuwendyk, Brendan Shannahan and Alexander Mogilny is killer. :lol:
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options

I stopped buying hockey games after NHL 2K7, which I traded in after a few days. I still play NHL 2K6, which I believe to be the perfect hockey game. The next year was terrible I thought so I just went back to 2K6. I stopped playing the EA games after the 2K series started because they were sort of arcade like in comparison, where 2K were more simulation based. It's the only game I still play on my old XBOX.

I might rent NHL 2012 though, just to check it out. I kind of like the old school game though, my top line of Joe Nieuwendyk, Brendan Shannahan and Alexander Mogilny is killer. :lol:
    I have friends that don't play video games, but they always want to play EA's latest NHL games for the past four years whenever they are over. Between like five of us, we have probably played well over 300 games. These guys loved NHL 94 and they love this game. I think the gameplay was changed dramatically in the 2008 version, so I would recommend at least renting it.

The NHL series is one of the few remaining games that a group of friends can all sit around the same TV and play at the same time ... it's sad that the majority of games require your friends to stay at home in order to play a goddamn video game together! :evil:
  • Options
    Dark Souls (review now up on IGN) looks friggen AMAZING!
  • Options
    I love playing The Legend of Zelda games...probably Ocarina of TIme being my fave one.
    PJ Manchester MEN - 20.06.12
    PJ Manchester MEN - 21.06.12
    EV Manchester O2 Apollo - 28.07.12
    PJ Leeds Arena - 08.07.14
  • Options
    I like Unreal Tournament 'cause I get to make my friends blow up into pieces :twisted: Only like playing it on LAN, I like to see their pissed off faces!!! :twisted:
    ~Can't escape from the common rule
    If you hate something, don't you do it too...~
  • Options
    I'm thinking about getting Rage next week. Can't wait for Arkham City on the 21st! :)
    Let them wash away
    All those yesterdays
    All those yesterdays
    All those paper plates
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Played the Battlefied 3 Demo last night. Pretty good, still very glitchy though. Plus the map has no vehicles which kinda sucks.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Played the Battlefied 3 Demo last night. Pretty good, still very glitchy though. Plus the map has no vehicles which kinda sucks.
    They're supposed to be adding a vehicle map to the demo.
    Game is going to be fun! Lots of glitches for them to work out (in 4 weeks, no less) so that will be interesting to see.

Forza 4 is awesome too! I can't wait for that one. I actually just bought the Fanatec setup too.
  • Options
    PJ88PJ88 Birthplace of the Toll House Cookie Posts: 1,074
    Jason P wrote:

Does NHL 2012 have retired players in it? I am also wondering how is the career mode and does the game still keep track of player's career stats?
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,105
    Monday was a sad day for me. My old xbox died. Guess it's only Wii from now on or get a 360....
  • Options
    PJ88PJ88 Birthplace of the Toll House Cookie Posts: 1,074
    Monday was a sad day for me. My old xbox died. Guess it's only Wii from now on or get a 360....

Man that stinks! Head over to Game Stop and pick up a used system for cheap. Good luck and hang in there!
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,105
    PJ88 wrote:

Man that stinks! Head over to Game Stop and pick up a used system for cheap. Good luck and hang in there!
    Thanks. I'm debating on the 360 or doing like you said and getting a used system. Haven't decided yet...although knowing me, the next version of the xbox will be out when I do make up my mind :lol:
  • Options
    voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    Thanks. I'm debating on the 360 or doing like you said and getting a used system. Haven't decided yet...although knowing me, the next version of the xbox will be out when I do make up my mind :lol:
    There is a newer xbox 360 out there making the original 360 a little cheaper now but still about 180 at gamestop. I'm actually thinking about selling my 360 since I rarely use it.
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    PJ88 wrote:

Does NHL 2012 have retired players in it? I am also wondering how is the career mode and does the game still keep track of player's career stats?

I don't know, I haven't played it, but unless things have changed, probably not. In all sports games the retired players (whether it be in Madden, MLB, or Hockey games) for Classic teams were not named. It has something to do with agreements with various players associations for the sports in question. Sometimes they might go out and get some of the bigger names, but usually players will just be called "RW - #89" or something like that, or Bart Starr would be "QB - #15". But like I said, that's the way it used to be, I don't know if these games have worked out an agreement with retired players. I've played more recent games, but didn't play any All-Time teams or anything like that.

So they probably have retired players (all of these games have all-time teams or old teams) but the players will just be a position/number and not have a photo, if it's the way they used to do it that is.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"