Cliff Lee to the Yankees?

Comments

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    aNiMaL wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Losers: The New York Yankees. They wanted Lee, they tried to get him, they moved to the 1-yard line on a deal -- they actually had an agreement in principal, pending an examination of medical records -- and they missed. Some folks within the Yankees' organization were upset about Friday's turn of events, believing that somebody in the Seattle organization has a beef with the Yankees and won't make a trade with them. But others were more circumspect, noting that no deal is done until it's officially done; until then, it was fair game for the Mariners to shop the Yankees' offer elsewhere.

But it's not as if the Yankees got scalded in this. They still probably have the best team in baseball, they still have an extremely deep rotation (especially now that A.J. Burnett has found himself), and they'll have catching prospect Jesus Montero for another possible deal down the road.

They wanted Lee, but they didn't have to have him.

The Yankees feel used, writes Tyler Kepner. Other general managers would not have handled this the same way, one Yankees official tells Joel Sherman.
    Fuck the Yankees!! :lol:

see ya in the playoffs :lol::lol:;)
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    aNiMaL wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Losers: The New York Yankees. They wanted Lee, they tried to get him, they moved to the 1-yard line on a deal -- they actually had an agreement in principal, pending an examination of medical records -- and they missed. Some folks within the Yankees' organization were upset about Friday's turn of events, believing that somebody in the Seattle organization has a beef with the Yankees and won't make a trade with them. But others were more circumspect, noting that no deal is done until it's officially done; until then, it was fair game for the Mariners to shop the Yankees' offer elsewhere.

But it's not as if the Yankees got scalded in this. They still probably have the best team in baseball, they still have an extremely deep rotation (especially now that A.J. Burnett has found himself), and they'll have catching prospect Jesus Montero for another possible deal down the road.

The Yankees feel used, writes Tyler Kepner. Other general managers would not have handled this the same way, one Yankees official tells Joel Sherman.

see ya in the playoffs :lol::lol:;)
    Exactly! That's why you didn't need Cliff Lee at all and it would have just reaffirmed the greediness that is the Steibrenner organization!

Fuck the Yankees.
    aNiMaL wrote:
    aNiMaL wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Exactly! That's why you didn't need Cliff Lee at all and it would have just reaffirmed the greediness that is the Steibrenner organization!

Fuck the Yankees.

close game today
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    The Fixer wrote:
    buster olney's trade recap. nice job amaro. someone send me his address so I can mail him a turd

Rangers, Mariners emerge as winners
    July, 10, 2010Jul 108:56AM ETEmail Print Comments19

There were lots of winners and losers in the 24-hour Cliff Lee saga:

Winners: The Texas Rangers (of course). General manager Jon Daniels and his staff have steadily built a rising young powerhouse, a process that included the remarkable trade of Mark Teixeira and the adept signing of Colby Lewis. And in a summer in which the Angels have taken a step backward, this is the Rangers' window of opportunity. So they added the biggest difference-making player in the trade market. The other day, we posted Stephen Oh's Accuscore analysis about how much Lee would help Texas, in the regular season, and in the postseason.

The big question about the Rangers was whether their rotation depth could hold up, and with Lee on board, they are now the clear favorites in the AL West. A year ago, Michael Young called Daniels as the Rangers mulled the possibility of trading Justin Smoak and Derek Holland for Roy Halladay, and Young told Daniels that if the team chose to keep its roster intact the players would be fine with that decision, as they understood that the club was moving in the right direction.

On Thursday, Ron Washington had the pleasure of telling Young that the Rangers had landed Lee, and there were handshakes and backslaps all through the Texas clubhouse. "Dude, we're getting Cliff Lee," Young told teammate Ian Kinsler, as Evan Grant writes.

Winners: The Seattle Mariners. Oh, sure, the 2010 season didn't play out the way GM Jack Zduriencik had hoped. In a perfect Mariners world, Lee and Felix Hernandez would have pitched the Mariners into the postseason.

But the end result of the Mariners' decision to trade for Lee worked out very well for Seattle. They traded pitcher Phillippe Aumont, catcher Tyson Gillies and pitcher J.C. Ramirez to the Phillies in December, and in return, they got a strong half-season from Lee, a power-hitting, switch-hitting star prospect in Justin Smoak, and three other prospects. If they had proposed that kind of trade with Texas in the winter (minus the Lee production, of course), Zduriencik would have been laughed off the phone by the Rangers.

The Mariners had long coveted Smoak, writes Geoff Baker.

Losers: The Philadelphia Phillies. They're currently looking for starting pitching, after deciding to trade Lee, and the Mariners' haul for the left-hander demonstrates once and for all that Philadelphia didn't get as much as it could have in a trade for one of the best starters on the planet. But there is one consolation prize: The Phillies' fan base will swallow the whole Lee situation a lot easier knowing he's pitching for the Rangers, rather than the Yankees (unless the baseball gods somehow arrange a Texas-Philadelphia World Series).

Winners: The Tampa Bay Rays and Boston Red Sox. The Yankees' division rivals have a tough enough challenge as it is, but at the very least they won't have to deal with a rotation of CC Sabathia, Lee, Andy Pettitte, Phil Hughes and Burnett. As Joe Maddon says within this piece, it's better that Lee went to Texas than the alternative.

Losers: The Los Angeles Angels and Oakland Athletics. The Rangers were already the best team in the AL West. They just got better, and more difficult for the other teams to catch.

Losers: Owners of other teams. There was already anger in some team offices because of the way Texas has been able to add players like Lewis and Rich Harden, and now they get Lee while operating with financial aid from other teams. Nobody resents the Rangers' baseball operations people for doing what they can to try to win, but there are a lot of folks upset that Texas has been allowed to take on salary. "It's a joke," said one high-ranking executive Friday evening

Winners: The lawyers. Look, I don't know anything about bankruptcy other than to know that's it's probably something you want to avoid. But I got a ton of e-mails Friday from lawyers telling me that a business going through a bankruptcy proceeding is not usually permitted to take on more debt -- and in this case, the Rangers took on roughly an extra $2.5 million in the salaries of Lee and reliever Mark Lowe. Will that become a problem in court? I have no idea. But I'd bet it's something that will be looked at by some people who finished law school.

love seeing the yanks get fisted.

can you imagine if its phils/rangers in the series though?
    www.myspace.com
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158

can you imagine if its phils/rangers in the series though?[/quote]

Phils aren't even making the playoffs, Rangers aren't getting past the first round, that's just a little reality there thrown in.
    KOYOURASS wrote:

can you imagine if its phils/rangers in the series though?

Phils aren't even making the playoffs, Rangers aren't getting past the first round, that's just a little reality there thrown in.[/quote]

oh really? the playoffs start today? :roll:

beat it dummy. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    Phils aren't even making the playoffs, Rangers aren't getting past the first round, that's just a little reality there thrown in.[/quote]

beat it dummy. :lol:[/quote]

Last Year still hurts huh? ;)
    Freakin Mets gotta better record. :lol::lol::lol:
    KOYOURASS wrote:
    Phils aren't even making the playoffs, Rangers aren't getting past the first round, that's just a little reality there thrown in.

beat it dummy. :lol:[/quote]

Last Year still hurts huh? ;)
    Freakin Mets gotta better record. :lol::lol::lol:[/quote]

last year? last year was a great year for us man.

and we're only a couple games off our pace from 09 too despite all the injuries.

do you follow the sport much?
    www.myspace.com

and we're only a couple games off our pace from 09 too despite all the injuries.

do you follow the sport much?[/quote]

Only the last 30 years.
    KOYOURASS wrote:

Only the last 30 years.[/quote]

that's it?

how long you been quoting?
    www.myspace.com
    KOYOURASS wrote:

Only the last 30 years.

that's it?

how long you been quoting?[/quote]

Thats fairly brand new quote
    mets have a better record :lol:

yankees vs the NL tommorrow :mrgreen:
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    as much as i'm not a yankee fan, i can't fault them, they are playing within the current set of rules. if you want to be mad at someone, be mad at the other owners for not putting a salary cap into place.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    as much as i'm not a yankee fan, i can't fault them, they are playing within the current set of rules. if you want to be mad at someone, be mad at the other owners for not putting a salary cap into place.

who is mad at them? i just enjoyed seeing the m's use them last week :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,734
    It's crazy to think the Yankees were losers with the way things went down. Rangers wanted him bad, obviously. Casmhan and other gm's are not happy with the way thong went down but the mariners were obviously going to take smoake if he was offered.

Yankees hold the beat record in the bigs, cab sign lee in the offseason and hold onto montero. Lee would have made the rotation isnane but the yanks are far from losers in the situation.

Amaro looks much much worse than the yankees front office after Friday.
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,241
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    It's crazy to think the Yankees were losers with the way things went down. Rangers wanted him bad, obviously. Casmhan and other gm's are not happy with the way thong went down but the mariners were obviously going to take smoake if he was offered.

Yankees hold the beat record in the bigs, cab sign lee in the offseason and hold onto montero. Lee would have made the rotation isnane but the yanks are far from losers in the situation.

missing some buttons on your iphone?
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    I am, was going to apologize about my spelling. I can't type on this fucking thing.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

don't get me wrong, amaro is a huge loser regarding cliff lee. we established that months ago in the phils thread.

but the fact remains the yankees were dead set on acquiring him last week. they thought they had him up until the very end when the m's pulled out. i don't think its crazy at all to call the yanks losers in this one.
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I am, was going to apologize about my spelling. I can't type on this fucking thing.

now you know how jammingpearls feels :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Keep my name out your mouth,lol see these damn phones are the problem :)
    Go Birds!!!!
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    must be an iphone thing. my mispellings are about equal on hte evo vs. full keybaord
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Keep my name out your mouth,lol see these damn phones are the problem :)

ok donovan :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    edited July 2010
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    It's crazy to think the Yankees were losers with the way things went down. Rangers wanted him bad, obviously. Casmhan and other gm's are not happy with the way thong went down but the mariners were obviously going to take smoak if he was offered.

don't get me wrong, amaro is a huge loser regarding cliff lee. we established that months ago in the phils thread.

but the fact remains the yankees were dead set on acquiring him last week. they thought they had him up until the very end when the m's pulled out. i don't think its crazy at all to call the yanks losers in this one.

From everything I read the trade was in place until the Mariners grew concerned about Adams ankle after looking at his medical records. They wanted Nunez instead and Cashman wouldn't do it. From what I read a package with Nunez and Montero may have beaten the Smoake package. So yes, the Yankees were deadset on getting him, until it took the Yankees top 2 position players in Triple A. The Montero-Nunez package was the original request from the Mariners from earlier in the month that was also denied.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    81 wrote:
    must be an iphone thing. my mispellings are about equal on hte evo vs. full keybaord

The keyboard is too small for my fingers on the iphone app, which I absolutely despise but since they fucked up the mobile forum site, it's the only option.
    Also to add to the above. If the Mariners were not really concerned about Adams ankle and shopped the Yankees deal around to get more, then that is bad. Could be why there have been a few non-yankee officials criticizing the way they worked. We all knew about the trade every step of the way so that means the Rangers probably knew more. Even if the M's did not shop the Yankees package around, was it okay of them to field offers after the Yankees thought an agreement was in place? I would probably say no.

Either way, it is what it is. The Rangers gave up Smoak (finally spelled it right now that I am not on my phone) and got Lee. Maybe the Mariners were a bit shady but that will only hurt them in the future especially if other officals are criticizing the way this went down.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Also to add to the above. If the Mariners were not really concerned about Adams ankle and shopped the Yankees deal around to get more, then that is bad. Could be why there have been a few non-yankee officials criticizing the way they worked. We all knew about the trade every step of the way so that means the Rangers probably knew more. Even if the M's did not shop the Yankees package around, was it okay of them to field offers after the Yankees thought an agreement was in place? I would probably say no.

Either way, it is what it is. The Rangers gave up Smoak (finally spelled it right now that I am not on my phone) and got Lee. Maybe the Mariners were a bit shady but that will only hurt them in the future especially if other officals are criticizing the way this went down.

what is this 'shop package around' stuff you speak of? GMs can do that? someone needs to relay the message to amaro. not that I'm bitter or anything
    i was searching for the espn 30 for 30 thread and stumbled upon this, glorious little gem.

:clap:
    www.myspace.com
  • i was searching for the espn 30 for 30 thread and stumbled upon this, glorious little gem.

I saw on TMz that it was Cliff Lees goal to play on 9 more teams in the next 39 hours.
    :D
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    i was searching for the espn 30 for 30 thread and stumbled upon this, glorious little gem.

I was searching for something on the Phillies winning something over the past couple years and can't seem to stumble on anything.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I was searching for something on the Phillies winning something over the past couple years and can't seem to stumble on anything.
    :lol::lol: :thumbup:
    www.myspace.com