Cliff Lee to the Yankees?

orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
edited January 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Overkill much? How can ANYONE root for this team with a straight face?

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/ ... Vdd02uuU1I
Jam out with your clam out.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    8-)

thank you philly for getting this ball rolling in the off season
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • m0jorisenm0jorisen Posts: 516
    i don't understand what the Yankees are doing wrong here ?
    Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse
    Of my innocence... got back my inner sense...
  • m0jorisen wrote:

They're making a mockery out of the game. Sure, if everyone (or YOUR team) had unlimited funds it wouldn't be a big deal, but when the balance of power is controlled solely by dollars then it's a joke.

Granted, money doesn't guarantee you championships (see 2001-2008), but until baseball gets a form of a salary cap then these things will continue to happen.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    m0jorisen wrote:

They're making a mockery out of the game. Sure, if everyone (or YOUR team) had unlimited funds it wouldn't be a big deal, but when the balance of power is controlled solely by dollars then it's a joke.

Granted, money doesn't guarantee you championships (see 2001-2008), but until baseball gets a form of a salary cap then these things will continue to happen.

baseball has more parity than any of the other major sports. Look at the teams that have won the WS over the past 10 years. The salary cap is an excuse for teams that are mismanaged.

Lee isn't going to the yanks. they aren't trading for a guy they know they can get for free in a few months.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=136828
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    The Fixer wrote:
    baseball has more parity than any of the other major sports. Look at the teams that have won the WS over the past 10 years. The salary cap is an excuse for teams that are mismanaged.

Lee isn't going to the yanks. they aren't trading for a guy they know they can get for free in a few months.

this is absurd ... the yankees, red sox have been in like every post season for the last decade ... i don't follow too much baseball but i would say the majority of post-season spots (over 75%) are allocated to 5 teams ...

hockey has the most parity by a long shot ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

this is absurd ... the yankees, red sox have been in like every post season for the last decade ... i don't follow too much baseball but i would say the majority of post-season spots (over 75%) are allocated to 5 teams ...

look at the WS teams over the last decade. There aren't many repeat appearances. and no repeat winners...MLB is only league that can say that
    The Fixer wrote:
    m0jorisen wrote:

DON'T BE TOO SURE 8-)
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic ... 4&t=136828

Yeah the words "baseball" and "parity" cannot be used in the same sentence unless it's: "There is absolutely no parity in baseball whatsoever".

Getting hot and winning a weak division (White Sox, Cardinals) to get in the playoffs and then go on to win the title does not equal parity.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,734
    Stop bitching, if this happens the Yankees are doing nothing wrong. It is using their resources to aquire someone via trade.

You guys were not bitching like this from 2002-2008. Now that they are being smart, it is a problem.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Stop bitching, if this happens the Yankees are doing nothing wrong. It is using their resources to aquire someone via trade.

You guys were not bitching like this from 2002-2008. Now that they are being smart, it is a problem.

use the force luke :mrgreen:

all these bitches in here ..every team can do this but they choose not to
  • There may not be repeat WS champions but the teams that consistently make the postseason are the same. Teams like the Marlins, Rockies, Twins etc. have to build their teams and have a 2-3 year window max to win a championship before the team becomes too expensive and they have to rebuild, usually by losing a few players to bigger market teams and the Yankess are the worst out of all of them.
    For every tool they lend us, a loss of independence
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,734
    There may not be repeat WS champions but the teams that consistently make the postseason are the same. Teams like the Marlins, Rockies, Twins etc. have to build their teams and have a 2-3 year window max to win a championship before the team becomes too expensive and they have to rebuild, usually by losing a few players to bigger market teams and the Yankess are the worst out of all of them.

As I have said all along, where would you like the Yankees revenue to go, if not the on-field product?
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Yeah the words "baseball" and "parity" cannot be used in the same sentence unless it's: "There is absolutely no parity in baseball whatsoever".

Getting hot and winning a weak division (White Sox, Cardinals) to get in the playoffs and then go on to win the title does not equal parity.

I couldn't disagree with this more. Making the playoffs and winning are two entirely different things. Just ask the braves.

Also, I think every team in baseball except for 4 or 5 has made the playoffs in the last 10 years (pirates, nats, royals off top of my head). Can't say that about other sports.

Baseball has more parity than the other sports
    There may not be repeat WS champions but the teams that consistently make the postseason are the same. Teams like the Marlins, Rockies, Twins etc. have to build their teams and have a 2-3 year window max to win a championship before the team becomes too expensive and they have to rebuild, usually by losing a few players to bigger market teams and the Yankess are the worst out of all of them.

yeah, this only happens in baseball. OK
    The Fixer wrote:
    look at the WS teams over the last decade. There aren't many repeat appearances. and no repeat winners...MLB is only league that can say that

the yankees have repeated ... regardless, i don't subscribe to your definition of parity ... the reality is that certain teams are more than likely always gonna be in the post-season ... and payroll definitely has something to do with it ... sure, you can bring up the rays but they are far and few between ... the only thing that affords baseball some level of competition is that the major teams tend to be concentrated in the same division so, the weaker divisions can fight it out ...
    The Fixer wrote:
    Also, I think every team in baseball except for 4 or 5 has made the playoffs in the last 10 years (pirates, nats, royals off top of my head). Can't say that about other sports.

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o ... n_droughts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ML ... n_droughts

i will grant you that the nhl has way more post-season slots but at the same time you are the one using this as your reasoning ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o ... n_droughts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ML ... n_droughts

i will grant you that the nhl has way more post-season slots but at the same time you are the one using this as your reasoning ...

more than half the teams in the NHL make the playoffs. Come on
  • Its not the fact that they should put their revenue somewhere else, I agree a lot of teams are mismanaged and its their own fault they cant field competitive teams (see Pirates, Royals, Orioles) but the gap in which they overspend everyone is ridiculous. It is bad for the league, there needs to be some sort of system put in place that prevents them loading up over and over again through free agency.
    For every tool they lend us, a loss of independence
    Its not the fact that they should put their revenue somewhere else, I agree a lot of teams are mismanaged and its their own fault they cant field competitive teams (see Pirates, Royals, Orioles) but the gap in which they overspend everyone is ridiculous. It is bad for the league, there needs to be some sort of system put in place that prevents them loading up over and over again through free agency.

like revenue sharing? oh wait, they already have that
    The Fixer wrote:
    more than half the teams in the NHL make the playoffs. Come on

dude ... i actually prefaced my post to say that ... but YOU were the one who said that only x teams didn't make the postseason in the last decade and that no other sports can claim that ...
    told you guys Lee was going to the yanks

good trade for both teams

I'm just happy he didn't go to the mets

I hate ruben amaro
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    Who ever said the NHL has the most parity is crazy. Mediocre doesn't equal parity. In hockey and basketball, OVER 50 PERCENT of the teams make the playoff. In baseball? Just over 25 percent. Much, much, much, much harder. Mediocrity doesn't make for parity.
    Who ever said the NHL has the most parity is crazy. Mediocre doesn't equal parity. In hockey and basketball, OVER 50 PERCENT of the teams make the playoff. In baseball? Just over 25 percent. Much, much, much, much harder. Mediocrity doesn't make for parity.

the NFL is same way. teams like the '09 philadelphia eagles make the playoffs, even though they had no business being there
    The Fixer wrote:

the NFL is same way. teams like the '09 philadelphia eagles make the playoffs, even though they had no business being there

Shit. The '08 Eagles AND Cardinals had no business being in that Conference championship.
    The Fixer wrote:

Shit. The '08 Eagles AND Cardinals had no business being in that Conference championship.

you weren't impressed when they beat tavaris jackson in the playoffs that year?
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

you weren't impressed when they beat tavaris jackson in the playoffs that year?

Weak.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Stop crying.

The Yankees being on top is good for baseball. They are the biggest draw in the game. Love them or Hate them TV ratings don't lie.

Yankees come to town and your stadium sells out. Yankees leave town your stadium goes back to half full on a Thursday night.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    PamelaA.jpg
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
    intodeep wrote:
    Stop crying.

The Yankees being on top is good for baseball. They are the biggest draw in the game. Love them or Hate them TV ratings don't lie.

Yankees come to town and your stadium sells out. Yankees leave town your stadium goes back to half full on a Thursday night.

Or, in your case, when the Phils are in town, half of your stadium becomes red. ;)

I don't have a problem with any of it. It's just funny that there's a luxury tax due to one team.
  • The Fixer wrote:
    told you guys Lee was going to the yanks

good trade for both teams

I'm just happy he didn't go to the mets

I hate ruben amaro

This is by no means a done deal. Seattle let it be known that talks were "heating up" to try to get a better offer. Not saying it can't happen, but Seattle is holding out as long as they can for the best deal.