Options

Black Crowes double acoustic album, tour, hiatus, **RETURN**

Comments

• Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    dcfaithful wrote:
    I was listening to "By Your Side" the other day and thought, "Man, this is really a good album."

The artwork is fuckin' horrid though. :lol:
    First two tracks are as rock and roll as it gets.

Truth man, truth.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    They also put out a live album/dvd called Brothers of a Feather, just the 2 of them, that is really quite amazing. Some great covers, a few of each their tunes and some great Crowes stuff.

That album/dvd is so fuckin' ace. The version of "Horsehead" on it is fantastic.
    did not know of the DVD :shock:

so I just ordered it....and this:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Crowes-Kill ... 708&sr=8-1

:mrgreen:

Looks like you've got some DVD watchin' to do! 8-)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    I can't remember exactly what "who killed that bird..." is because I got it, started watching it and for some reason have never touched it again in years....can't remember why that is though......it was not what i was expecting...of this I am certain
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,465
    I can't remember exactly what "who killed that bird..." is because I got it, started watching it and for some reason have never touched it again in years....can't remember why that is though......it was not what i was expecting...of this I am certain
    amazon customer review...originally released on VHS :lol:

This video was released in 92' following their tour that year for The Southern Harmony And Musical Companion album,and it is a must have for any Crowes fan.Unfortunately,it's no longer in print, but for those of you that appreciate great music, where there's a will there's a way. Just get a copy somehow. Included are such video favorites as She Talks To Angels,Remedy, Thorn In My Pride,and Hard to Handle as well as never before seen clips of Jealous Guy(recorded in Atlanta),Stare It Cold(from Moscow),and You're Wrong from MTV Unplugged. The tracks Jealous Guy and You're Wrong have never been released in any other form,including the box set that's available now ,that includes the first 4 records and 10 more unreleased songs. The live performance footage is all top notch and the sound quality of the recordings are at a high level as well.It has been recorded in hi-fi vhs mode and Dolby nr was used as well to reduce tape hiss when you're crankin ' it the way it should be played. There is also a good amount of back scene footage from video shoots and touring that let's you get a good feel for the band and life on the road. It even includes footage before the show in Omaha,which is where I caught them at on that tour. At 83 minutes,this video definitely gives you what you're looking for as a Black Crowes fan,and it's a good timeline piece to gauge how they've grown musically from then to now. If you're a rock fan and by some strange occurance don't have any Black Crowes albums,go out and pickup Shake Your Moneymaker and go from there.You'll thank yourself later,and for all you devoted Crowes fans keep lookin' for Who Killed That Bird Out On Your Windowsill,it's worth it's weight in gold.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Anybody paid any attention to the mess Rich and his manager have got in? Pretty ridiculous all around. Can't believe Rich would sign off on such a thing.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    Anybody paid any attention to the mess Rich and his manager have got in? Pretty ridiculous all around. Can't believe Rich would sign off on such a thing.

Haven't heard a thing... do you have a link?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

Haven't heard a thing... do you have a link?

Here's what started it.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/398 ... balization

Here's the "letter from his manage upon it's cancellation and pretty well total fan backlash.

A note from David Macias:

When an artist and a manager have a fundamental disagreement about how the business of a career is to be run, then the manager has to be the one to go, of course. I’ve managed Rich Robinson’s solo career for some time now. Though we maintain great love and respect for one another, we’ve had a fundamental disagreement about how his touring can and should be funded. On my insistence, we launched a Kickstarter campaign to help him cover the shortfall in international touring for 2012. Rich felt conflicted about it from the beginning, and I probably should have listened. Because of negative feedback from fans and other associates, we are suspending the campaign. My side of it: the music business in 2012 is not what the music business was in 1992. The business has gotten a lot smaller, a lot more fragmented, although the costs of band members, airline tickets and the like have not gotten smaller. To help bridge that gap, a lot of artists have turned to fan funding through sites like Kickstarter and Pledge Music. Acts you know are doing it. The fact is that we will not cover our costs, and someone will have to underwrite that shortfall. Neither Rich nor I are in that position. Perhaps I was lacking in imagination in how else the gap was to be bridged, and if that’s the case, then I should probably go for that reason. The idea being these fan-funded campaigns, which was pointed out by supportive fans, is to provide an experience or item that a fan perceives to be worth a certain value. If fans feel that the offering is of sufficient value, then it’s a win for them. The artist wins in having investment capital to underwrite certain initiatives. As I said, in this day and age of shrinking options in the music business, this is happening often. For those who are harboring suspicions that we were asking for more than was needed, all I can do is promise you that two tours to Europe and one to Japan (which was what we were planning), was going to cost us that much as we were trying to establish Rich as a solo artist in those markets. Rich was involved in the tour budgeting process, and there was no padding involved. As conflicted as he as about the whole thing, he wouldn’t have allowed it, and anyone that knows me knows that that kind of thing is not in my nature. But ultimately, Rich did not want to do this, for reasons I understood then. I insisted, and he gave in. I’m honestly shocked and disheartened by the cruel things that have been said about Rich vis-à-vis this whole experience. Rich is one of the best people I know, and he’s made a brilliant album. Simply brilliant. For those of you who haven’t, take the time and listen. For those of you that haven’t gone to see him in concert, you should do so. It’s pretty easy to sit back and judge harshly when you are making ill-informed judgments about where someone is in their lives and their reasons for undertaking certain courses of action. But Rich has built years of goodwill and respect from the Crowes fanbase, and the fact that I did not anticipate how this would be received in this most important of communities for Rich is another reason I should go. As I exit from the stage, I would implore you to be more patient and understanding to artists and those around them in general, and Rich in particular. Making this all work on the business end of things is hard. If you don’t know what you’re talking about, please be careful about the negativity you throw out into the universe. I hear a lot about the ideals of peace and love from those around the Crowes community, and many, many, many of you that I’ve met through working with Rich have exemplified loving support. For those of you that have bought the CD, gone to a show, participated in the Kickstarter campaign to date, I thank you. For those of you that have fallen short of loving kindness, I hope that you remember that in all of the truth teachings of the world, the idea of karma, that you reap what you sow, is a universal truth. You can justify your lack of loving kindness, but it will come back to bite you in the ass. I leave proud of the work that I’ve done for Rich, but also proud of Rich, as a man and an artist. I wish you all peace, and I am out. David Macias Thirty Tigers
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    I can't believe they went public like that with that disagreement. That is a pretty heavy read. I can kind of see both sides. Rich isn't exactly loaded with money and he has to finance everything himself. Sounds like the manager thought that kickstarter was a great idea but isn't that mostly for young-up-and-comers that no one has heard of? I can see why Rich would be hesitant because it does come off as asking for money, but he was also offering something in return for the donations. I don't know. Sounds like a pretty good or not bad idea horribly executed.

And in other news the Brotherhood just finished tracking an album. It will be released soon along with more tour dates. I am more excited about this than almost anything. I got to see the CRB 4 times on the last tour and was blown away each time by the venue selection, the cost, and length of show.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    runchaserrunchaser Posts: 112
    Seems like buying the album concert ticket and t-shirt isn't enough anymore......my nephew had all his posts deleted on Rich Robinson's Facebook page cos he said it was a crock of shit (he has tickets for his uk tour and is a huge crowes fan)...... plain embarrassing and wrong.
  • Options
    Flagg wrote:
    I can't believe they went public like that with that disagreement. That is a pretty heavy read. I can kind of see both sides. Rich isn't exactly loaded with money and he has to finance everything himself. Sounds like the manager thought that kickstarter was a great idea but isn't that mostly for young-up-and-comers that no one has heard of? I can see why Rich would be hesitant because it does come off as asking for money, but he was also offering something in return for the donations. I don't know. Sounds like a pretty good or not bad idea horribly executed.

And in other news the Brotherhood just finished tracking an album. It will be released soon along with more tour dates. I am more excited about this than almost anything. I got to see the CRB 4 times on the last tour and was blown away each time by the venue selection, the cost, and length of show.

I guess times have changed, but my thought is, if you can't afford an overseas tour, don't do it. Also, I can understand somethin like this, but they were trying to raise $75k...

It is generally for up and coming artists, but I personally would be more tolerant if they weren't trying for so much cash. I obviously don't have RR's financial statements in front of me, but I would think he has plenty of money. The Crowes just finished practically 5 straight years worth of huge tours a little over a year ago.

The whole mess with the manager airing the dirty laundry and then insulting the people that didn't contribute is about as bad as it gets. Definitely not gonna help Rich as and up and coming solo artist.

I love Chris's previous solo albums, but I'm more of a Rich guy. Hopefully I can get around to catchin both on tour sooner than later.
  • Options
    Flagg wrote:

what's the Brotherhood? CRB?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Flagg wrote:

what's the Brotherhood? CRB?

Chris Robinson Brotherhood.
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    amazon customer review...originally released on VHS :lol:

This video was released in 92' following their tour that year for The Southern Harmony And Musical Companion album,and it is a must have for any Crowes fan.Unfortunately,it's no longer in print, but for those of you that appreciate great music, where there's a will there's a way. Just get a copy somehow. Included are such video favorites as She Talks To Angels,Remedy, Thorn In My Pride,and Hard to Handle as well as never before seen clips of Jealous Guy(recorded in Atlanta),Stare It Cold(from Moscow),and You're Wrong from MTV Unplugged. The tracks Jealous Guy and You're Wrong have never been released in any other form,including the box set that's available now ,that includes the first 4 records and 10 more unreleased songs. The live performance footage is all top notch and the sound quality of the recordings are at a high level as well.It has been recorded in hi-fi vhs mode and Dolby nr was used as well to reduce tape hiss when you're crankin ' it the way it should be played. There is also a good amount of back scene footage from video shoots and touring that let's you get a good feel for the band and life on the road. It even includes footage before the show in Omaha,which is where I caught them at on that tour. At 83 minutes,this video definitely gives you what you're looking for as a Black Crowes fan,and it's a good timeline piece to gauge how they've grown musically from then to now. If you're a rock fan and by some strange occurance don't have any Black Crowes albums,go out and pickup Shake Your Moneymaker and go from there.You'll thank yourself later,and for all you devoted Crowes fans keep lookin' for Who Killed That Bird Out On Your Windowsill,it's worth it's weight in gold.

just watched this....the moscow footage is insane.

pretty funny how both the crowes and PJ were coming up in the early 90s....one band was wearing cotton, canvas and flannel....the other velvet, sharkskin, silk and eye makeup (yes, chris, eye makeup)......eddie was shy; chris was like a bowie/jagger/rod stewart flamboyant. both bands stayed true to their roots and I love them both for their passion and dedication to THE MUSIC :mrgreen:

I wonder if their paths have ever crossed....I kinda doubt it.....it doesn't seem they would have a lot in common....hopefully, they would at least RESPECT each other.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    I'm the same way. I've seen them more than I've seen Pearl Jam (mostly because they are here way more often) and they mean just as much to me as PJ has. In the almost 9 years since Pearl Jam has played in Dallas I have seen The Black Crowes in and around Dallas (as well as Chris solo) 12 times. That is ridiculous.

Very very similar bands although the music is different. Always changing sets, massive touring (unlike today's PJ), live bootlegs of the shows, stay true to the roots, etc. They are really a lot alike in many ways.

I know Eddie Vedder and Rich Robinson were on that Howard Zinn thing a couple of years ago. I saw an interview and they were both seated at the table with some others.
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    I've always wondered if they've crossed paths, as well.
    Especially like to hear their thoughts on each others music, though I would guess neither is interested in the others style. They both seem like throwback, just from different angles...Their musical tastes probably hit a crossroads somewhere along Led Zeppelin avenue.

Maybe there's some sort of Brendan Obrien connection in the early days.
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
    Sad to hear that Rich is struggling like this. However, I'm thinking maybe this portion of the letter should be printed in all caps, and in a big, bold font at the top of every thread on this message board...
    It’s pretty easy to sit back and judge harshly when you are making ill-informed judgments about where someone is in their lives and their reasons for undertaking certain courses of action... I would implore you to be more patient and understanding to artists and those around them in general... Making this all work on the business end of things is hard. If you don’t know what you’re talking about, please be careful about the negativity you throw out into the universe.
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    both bands stayed true to their roots and I love them both for their passion and dedication to THE MUSIC :mrgreen:

Good point, definitely the reason I enjoy these bands too.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    just watched Crowes at Churchill Downs 2010....awesome!!...Luther & Band played great!
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    Flagg wrote:
    In the almost 9 years since Pearl Jam has played in Dallas I have seen The Black Crowes in and around Dallas (as well as Chris solo) 12 times. That is ridiculous.
    ridiculously good :mrgreen: . except for the fact PJ hasn't come around :cry:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Sad to hear that Rich is struggling like this. However, I'm thinking maybe this portion of the letter should be printed in all caps, and in a big, bold font at the top of every thread on this message board...
    It’s pretty easy to sit back and judge harshly when you are making ill-informed judgments about where someone is in their lives and their reasons for undertaking certain courses of action... I would implore you to be more patient and understanding to artists and those around them in general... Making this all work on the business end of things is hard. If you don’t know what you’re talking about, please be careful about the negativity you throw out into the universe.

Hear hear
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    Flagg wrote:
    In the almost 9 years since Pearl Jam has played in Dallas I have seen The Black Crowes in and around Dallas (as well as Chris solo) 12 times. That is ridiculous.
    ridiculously good :mrgreen: . except for the fact PJ hasn't come around :cry:

Go see the Brotherhood dude. Not to be missed. 3.5 hours. But yes I have really enjoyed my shows and sorry, but PJ is sliding down the list for me because of it.
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    Flagg wrote:

Go see the Brotherhood dude. Not to be missed. 3.5 hours. But yes I have really enjoyed my shows and sorry, but PJ is sliding down the list for me because of it.
    definitely will if he/they come around. I know DC would be up for it :mrgreen:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    Flagg wrote:

definitely will if he/they come around. I know DC would be up for it :mrgreen:

You know it, brother!
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    For any of you who don't have Rich Robinson's new album "Through A Crooked Sun", amazon has the MP3 download for $5 until the end of the month. It's definitely worth a listen.
  • Options
    Just grabbed tickets for Rich's March 10th show in Cleveland.

3/1/12 @ Mercy Lounge – Nashville, TN
    3/2/12 @ Smith’s Olde Bar – Atlanta GA
    3/3/12 @ Cosmic Charlie’s – Lexington, KY
    3/4/12 @ Mountain Stage – Charleston, WV
    3/7/12 @ Radio Radio – Indianapolis, IN
    3/8/12 @ Old Rock House – St. Louis, MO
    3/9/12 @ Schubas Tavern – Chicago, IL
    3/10/12 @ Beachland Tavern – Cleveland, OH
    3/11/12 @ Ninth Ward – Buffalo, NY
    3/14/12 @ The Wonder Bar – Asbury Park, NJ
    3/15/12 @ TT at the Bear’s Place – Cambridge, MA
    3/16/12 @ World Cafe Live – Downstairs Philadelphia, PA
    3/17/12 @ Red Palace – Washington DC
    3/18/12 @ Rams Head On Stage – Annapolis, MD
    3/19/12 @ Bowery Ballroom – New York, NY
  • Options
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Just grabbed tickets for Rich's March 10th show in Cleveland.

3/1/12 @ Mercy Lounge – Nashville, TN
    3/2/12 @ Smith’s Olde Bar – Atlanta GA
    3/3/12 @ Cosmic Charlie’s – Lexington, KY
    3/4/12 @ Mountain Stage – Charleston, WV
    3/7/12 @ Radio Radio – Indianapolis, IN
    3/8/12 @ Old Rock House – St. Louis, MO
    3/9/12 @ Schubas Tavern – Chicago, IL
    3/10/12 @ Beachland Tavern – Cleveland, OH
    3/11/12 @ Ninth Ward – Buffalo, NY
    3/14/12 @ The Wonder Bar – Asbury Park, NJ
    3/15/12 @ TT at the Bear’s Place – Cambridge, MA
    3/16/12 @ World Cafe Live – Downstairs Philadelphia, PA
    3/17/12 @ Red Palace – Washington DC
    3/18/12 @ Rams Head On Stage – Annapolis, MD
    3/19/12 @ Bowery Ballroom – New York, NY

Him and his band were awesome in SLC. Enjoy the show. :thumbup:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:

Him and his band were awesome in SLC. Enjoy the show. :thumbup:

Thanks DC...I will. The venue he is playing is great too so it should be fun
  • Options
    I've been slacking....how's rich''s new album sound? Great I'm sure

As I type I'm in the process of downloading the CRB show from Oxford last year

And hell yeah I been slackin....i just realized that damn CRB show was on my birthday and a mere 3 hours away. Idiot I am.
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    I've been slacking....how's rich''s new album sound? Great I'm sure

As I type I'm in the process of downloading the CRB show from Oxford last year

And hell yeah I been slackin....i just realized that damn CRB show was on my birthday and a mere 3 hours away. Idiot I am.

In my opinion, Rich's new album is very good. A little more mellow than "Paper" was but still really good. He also just re-released the Llama Blues EP in digital format on Itunes.
  • Options
    Word over at the Crowes board.....

Chris Robinson Band - Big Moon Ritual and the Magic Door

June 5