Options

OFFICIAL 2021 Tour de France thread

Comments

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/07/ ... our_184939

good article talking about drugs in cycling ... i've always said that in cycling, especially on a grand tour ... guys are gonna have bad days ... so far, everyone has shown that ... i think most of the GC guys are riding clean this year ... as evidenced also in their times ... and the inability for someone to ride away consistently ... altho Boasson-Hagen on the escape on semi-mountain stages two days in a row is highly suspect ... :problem:
  • Options
    markin ballmarkin ball Posts: 1,067
    Can't wait for tomorrow and the next day. I won't get any work done at all but it will be worth it. This has been the best Tour since Lance's last win.
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ."

"With our thoughts we make the world"
  • Options
    andy attacks!!!!!!!

real early ... he's got 2 guys up front that will help him do the flat before the last climb ... very brave move!!

gonna be some major damage done on the GC today!!
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    No love for Cadel here?
    All of Australia is cheering him on!
    Come on Cadel, hopefully you realise your dream this time around!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    No love for Cadel here?
    All of Australia is cheering him on!
    Come on Cadel, hopefully you realise your dream this time around!

it's cadel's tour to lose ...

andy making an epic move today ... this is great shit right now!!
  • Options
    Damn those Schlek brothers!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    WOW ... i know i start almost every post in this thread with it ... but can't describe the action in this race ...

contador is DONE ... sanchez is DONE ...

bravo andy shleck ... leopard takes the day ... voeckler with the help of the maillot jaune holds onto yellow for 1 last day ...
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,491
    polaris_x wrote:
    WOW ... i know i start almost every post in this thread with it ... but can't describe the action in this race ...

contador is DONE ... sanchez is DONE ...

bravo andy shleck ... leopard takes the day ... voeckler with the help of the maillot jaune holds onto yellow for 1 last day ...
    I've enjoyed the Tour all along but today finally lived up to the "Most Epic Race. Ever" slogan. That was great stuff today :mrgreen:

even tho I was never rooting for Contador, I still would have liked to see him remain in the mix.

sorry, my Aussie friends, but......go Andy!!! (or Thomas, if you believe in miracles).

hey, polaris.....have two brothers EVER finished on the podium before? :?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    I've enjoyed the Tour all along but today finally lived up to the "Most Epic Race. Ever" slogan. That was great stuff today :mrgreen:

even tho I was never rooting for Contador, I still would have liked to see him remain in the mix.

sorry, my Aussie friends, but......go Andy!!! (or Thomas, if you believe in miracles).

i'm not a historian in this sport by any means but i would have to say no ... maybe waaaaay back when ...

this has been the best TDF in a long time ... as there has only been like 2 or 3 stages when there has been no drama ... the suffering that is going on in these guys is absolutely incredible ... there really isn't many sports that can touch this race ... with the drama - it is has become the sporting event of the year i say ...

loved watching frank just coast up the hill and then pull away at the last second ... a brilliant ride by leopard-trek ...

also well done to garmin-cervelo for maintaining the team gc lead ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

i'm not a historian in this sport by any means
    judging by your posts, you're as close as we've got :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

i'm not a historian in this sport by any means
    judging by your posts, you're as close as we've got :lol:

:lol:

i've been following since i was a kid i guess ... but i got a shitty memory so i don't remember everything ... i think the sport has cleaned up a lot since lance and ullrich disappeared ... and it's good to see that every cyclist has good and bad days ... i know the garmin guys are riding clean and to be only 3.5 mins behind today shows me that probably most of the other guys contenders are riding clean ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

:lol:

i've been following since i was a kid i guess ... but i got a shitty memory so i don't remember everything ... i think the sport has cleaned up a lot since lance and ullrich disappeared ... and it's good to see that every cyclist has good and bad days ... i know the garmin guys are riding clean and to be only 3.5 mins behind today shows me that probably most of the other guys contenders are riding clean ...
    yeah...but the temptation has got to be huge for Andy to take some "floyd juice" to get through just one more day! :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    PJGirl321PJGirl321 Posts: 377
    polaris_x wrote:
    imalive wrote:

i'm not a historian in this sport by any means but i would have to say no ... maybe waaaaay back when ...

this has been the best TDF in a long time ... as there has only been like 2 or 3 stages when there has been no drama ... the suffering that is going on in these guys is absolutely incredible ... there really isn't many sports that can touch this race ... with the drama - it is has become the sporting event of the year i say ...

loved watching frank just coast up the hill and then pull away at the last second ... a brilliant ride by leopard-trek ...

also well done to garmin-cervelo for maintaining the team gc lead ...

Today's stage was great! I loved watching Andy. He really had to make that move. I love that he took the risk and attacked when he did. It would be cool to see them both on the podium. (Thanks to Phil Liggitt Frank will now be known as "Brother Frank" for the rest of his career :lol: )

And I agree no other sport can touch this. With every stage - especially the climbing - I realize what whiny, over paid divas we have in American football, baseball, etc. No DL, IR here. You get hurt you either ride through it and suck it up or you're out. See you next year or maybe you'll be ready for the Vuelta. It takes thick skin to be a cyclist.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,648
    Andy's stomach is full of anger!

Good to see Danielson in the top 10 still after several disappointing seasons. I think Garmin has the most likable guys on their team, too.
  • Options
    As usual noone helps out Cadel.
    Useless.
  • Options
    Useless.

on this note - what are everyone's thoughts on voeckler? ... i feel that it is the responsibility of the yellow jersey to help chase ... he has done no work nor sent his team to do any work ... sure, it's kept him in yellow and many would say it is smart strategically ... but i think the yellow jersey bears responsibility - andy attacked for 60 km ... and he couldn't send one guy to pull a little ...

i really hope he cracks large today and loses 10-15 mins ... my respect for voeckler is lost ... everyday they keep saying heart of this ... tremendous ride ... amazing day ... the guy is sandbagging ... you don't finish 5th on a stage like today without having form especially after the first two weeks ... he's been in yellow for 10 days and there are only 2 stages left (not incl. last day) ... guys who have NO chance to win (as he put it) aren't in yellow with 2 days of racing left ...

this tour belongs to cadel and the shlecks ... i think the shlecks need at least 2 mins otherwise cadel will win the TT ...
  • Options
    yikes ... alberto contador ... gutsy effort today ... we'll see if it does anything ...
  • Options
    greatest sporting event this year by far!

good guts shown by contador ... it's gonna be a great time trial ... the maillot jaune gives you wings ... go andy ... gonna be seconds to decide the tour this year ...
  • Options
    Useless.
    or vice versa. No TDF for wheel suckers! :evil:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    If Cadel's gears didn't fail him he would have been 20-30 seconds closer to the lead.
    Last years injury and now this, come on he needs some luck!
    Amazing race last night, I'm feeling the late night now.
    Go Cadel!
  • Options
    PJGirl321PJGirl321 Posts: 377
    Anybody catch Contador punching the spectator today. :lol:

http://www.sbnation.com/cycling/2011/7/ ... unches-fan
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    congrats to cadel :clap:
  • Options
    cadel rode the perfect tour ... congratulations!

destroyed that TT ... andy ... 2nd for the 3rd year in a row ...

can't wait til next year!!
  • Options
    HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    Oi Oi Oi
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • Options
    he wasn't my choice, but....congrats, Cadel. You deserved it.

Andy couldn't handle the moment :cry:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Cadel wooooooooo YEAH! :P
    So happy for him, great day for Aussie sport. :D
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Great day for Aussie sport...

Talk of a public holiday whoop whoop....
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    imalive wrote:

andy and frank rode a great TT ... it's just not their specialty ...
  • Options
    HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    imalive wrote:

He couldn't handle the moment the day before, when he asked Cadel for help to chase down Contador.

Um, Andy, you realise your brother is in your team?

Cadel didn't win it yesterday- was always gonna beat Schlecks if they were within 2 minutes. He won it in the preceding 2 days, when he chased back Schleck by himself with no help from Cunego, Basso, Voekler, Rolland, and Sanchez. And then the next day covered the lost time when his bike went wonky.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    imalive wrote:

andy and frank rode a great TT ... it's just not their specialty ...
    true...but I was buying into Phil's "the malliot june (sp?) makes you ride like 10 men" :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16