Went from a Comparison of Films to a Film Discussion

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    I love films. I studied film for 2 years in college. I have seen (without exaggeration) about 250 - 300 films in 18 the past 18 months (verified by my love film account). I watch a wide variety from old 40s - 50s, foreign and independant cinema but.....

I HAVE NEVER SEEN THE GODFATHER!!!!!!!!!!!

what fucking film school do you go to where the godfather wasn't one of the first films studied?

seriously, the movie is brilliant along with part 2...watch them this weekend
    Poncier wrote:
    norm wrote:
    If that's a joke then it's hilarious

If it is real, that is very sad...betcha this person will have a successful career as a movie critic though
    He's submitting his resume to the NY Times.
    computernerd-450x341.jpg

as usual, cliff has got my back! :lol::lol::mrgreen:
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,710
    norm wrote:

as usual, cliff has got my cutback! :lol::lol::mrgreen:
    Fixed. :mrgreen:
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Ok, good and i suspect i will agree with you once i have seen The Godfather.

I suggest watching 1 & 2 twice.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
    Poncier wrote:
    norm wrote:

as usual, cliff has got my cutback! :lol::lol::mrgreen:
    Fixed. :mrgreen:

:twisted: :twisted: :lol::lol:
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    I love films. I studied film for 2 years in college. I have seen (without exaggeration) about 250 - 300 films in 18 the past 18 months (verified by my love film account). I watch a wide variety from old 40s - 50s, foreign and independant cinema but.....

Well, if you're a student of films and have watched many classics, you should be able to appreciate things about The Godfather not just as a good story with fine acting. You can see how groundbreaking it was in style, something most viewers don't notice unless they're really old like I am and saw it when it was first released. ;) Notice the lighting, for instance. It's been imitated so much in so many ways that many people who see it for the first time nowadays may not realize the impact it had on film making.

For the people who are ragging on Citizen Kane (which I'm not gonna say is the greatest movie ever made), it was important for similar reasons. The lighting, camera work, composition, editing, etc. were all very striking for its time and very influential. (No, I wasn't around yet when that one came out. :lol: )
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Digital TwilightDigital Twilight Posts: 5,642

Well, if you're a student of films and have watched many classics, you should be able to appreciate things about The Godfather not just as a good story with fine acting. You can see how groundbreaking it was in style, something most viewers don't notice unless they're really old like I am and saw it when it was first released. ;) Notice the lighting, for instance. It's been imitated so much in so many ways that many people who see it for the first time nowadays may not realize the impact it had on film making.

For the people who are ragging on Citizen Kane (which I'm not gonna say is the greatest movie ever made), it was important for similar reasons. The lighting, camera work, composition, editing, etc. were all very striking for its time and very influential. (No, I wasn't around yet when that one came out. :lol: )

I agree on Citizen Kane. Great film and Orson Welles was a fantastic director and actor. Have you seen 'The Third Man'? He's only in the film for the last third but completly steals the show with his performance.

I will watch the godfather tomorrow night.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076

You're totally right about the Godfather being groundbreaking in terms of actual shooting of the film.

I guess I never really payed attention to that in Citizen Kane, maybe it'd be worth another watch...but I do remember being terribly bored the first time I watched it.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    dcfaithful wrote:

You're totally right about the Godfather being groundbreaking in terms of actual shooting of the film.

I guess I never really payed attention to that in Citizen Kane, maybe it'd be worth another watch...but I do remember being terribly bored the first time I watched it.

Cinema has totaly changed sibce then so its hard for a 'modern audience' to appreciate its style and finesse. The way stories and texts are told, even acting style was different back then. Its not hard to see why you thought it was boring and i think most people would agree with you there. If think its one of them films you 'have to be in the mood for'.

I agree on Citizen Kane. Great film and Orson Welles was a fantastic director and actor. Have you seen 'The Third Man'? He's only in the film for the last third but completly steals the show with his performance.

I will watch the godfather tomorrow night.
    Harry Lime, one of the all time creepy bad guys.
    The Third Man is one of my ABSOLUTE FAVE movies. Seen it numerous times and always seem to find new things about it. :thumbup:
    dcfaithful wrote:

Cinema has totaly changed sibce then so its hard for a 'modern audience' to appreciate its style and finesse. The way stories and texts are told, even acting style was different back then. Its not hard to see why you thought it was boring and i think most people would agree with you there. If think its one of them films you 'have to be in the mood for'.

Very true. I can tell you have done a great deal of studying films as you view them in a much more appreciative manner than the general population.

There is a lot more about film to be digested than we think, I believe. Cinema is a very powerful form of expression and art.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    Harry Lime, one of the all time creepy bad guys.
    The Third Man is one of my ABSOLUTE FAVE movies. Seen it numerous times and always seem to find new things about it. :thumbup:

:D

I rented it a few months ago and i was blown away by it. I am going to have to buy that film.
    dcfaithful wrote:

I think this is an excellent description.
    I was really fortunate in that the first time I saw Citizen Kane was in a college class called History of Motion Pictures. We saw a lot of great and not so great films, in chronological order. So after seeing everything from the original Great Train Robbery through some silents and then films from the 30s, Citizen Kane appeared pretty groundbreaking.
    dcfaithful wrote:

I was really fortunate in that the first time I saw Citizen Kane was in a college class called History of Motion Pictures. We saw a lot of great and not so great films, in chronological order. So after seeing everything from the original Great Train Robbery through some silents and then films from the 30s, Citizen Kane appeared pretty groundbreaking.

The Great Train Robbery - we watched that as well along with some of Birth Of A Nation. You do get a good sense of how 'film langauge' evolved by studing it that way.

Did you see any Charles Chaplin? That guy had fantastic comedy timing.

The Great Train Robbery - we watched that as well along with some of Birth Of A Nation. You do get a good sense of how 'film langauge' evolved by studing it that way.

We saw The Gold Rush, which is brilliant. Also saw Birth of a Nation (inflammatory story, brilliant film effects for its time), Greed, and The Passion of Joan of Arc for the silents. Also a German-made silent film, Variety, with Emil Jannings followed by The Blue Angel (sound).

We saw The Gold Rush, which is brilliant. Also saw Birth of a Nation (inflammatory story, brilliant film effects for its time), Greed, and The Passion of Joan of Arc for the silents. Also a German-made silent film, Variety, with Emil Jannings followed by The Blue Angel (sound).

I remember watching a lot of those films in my high school film history class...

one of my favorite films we watched was The Seventh Seal by Ingmar Burgman.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:

I remember watching a lot of those films in my high school film history class...

Also, Rear Window by Hitchcock really grabbed my interest too.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:

Thats one i haven't seen yet. Its been on my rental list for a year but they haven't sent it out to me yet :lol:

The scene with protagonist playing chess with death is one of the most reconised in cinema and of course replicated in Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey :D
    dcfaithful wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

Also, Rear Window by Hitchcock really grabbed my interest too.

freshman year i'm taking film aesthetics...prof asks us to pick a movie and analyze it and shit...i choose rear window...yeah that was a dumb move...my buddy got to do 'splash'...if i had know i could do less 'classic' movies i would have done 'stripes' or something :evil: :lol::lol:

but i love rear window....my fav hitch movie
    dcfaithful wrote:

Thats one i haven't seen yet. Its been on my rental list for a year but they haven't sent it out to me yet :lol:

The scene with protagonist playing chess with death is one of the most reconised in cinema and of course replicated in Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey :D

I just think the premise is so awesome. Then again, I love chess and was a chess club champion in my youth. :oops: :ugeek: :ugeek:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

I just think the premise is so awesome. Then again, I love chess and was a chess club champion in my youth. :oops: :ugeek: :ugeek:

I play chess occasionaly online but i'm not the best. I lack long term stragety.

I play chess occasionaly online but i'm not the best. I lack long term stragety.

I challenge you someday... :geek:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    I was a film minor in college. Saw all the greats that are mentioned above. Great call on Seventh Seal. That movie takes about 3 watches. So powerful.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    when i first read this i thought someoen was making a case that Moon with Sam Rockwell was better then Godfather.
    I scoffed at that (even though i liked Moon a lot)

then i realized it was "New Moon" and it made me sad someone could even try to make that argument.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    dcfaithful wrote:

I challenge you someday... :geek:

Dont think it would be much of a challenge but i'm up for a game :lol:
    intodeep wrote:
    when i first read this i thought someoen was making a case that Moon with Sam Rockwell was better then Godfather.
    I scoffed at that (even though i liked Moon a lot)

then i realized it was "New Moon" and it made me sad someone could even try to make that argument.

I like moon a lot but i was dissapointed that it explained why there were 2 of him.I was hoping it would be a lot more open to interpratation but i liked it all the same. Very low budget film as well. The Director has said it is gonna be a part of a trilogy!? Not sure how that will pan out.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Would you look at that. A thread that started off with a ridiculous comparison turned into a legitimate film discussion.

Bravo!!
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    sadly, this is probably the concensus with most of my generation...

the world is in bad shape
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    I like moon a lot but i was dissapointed that it explained why there were 2 of him.I was hoping it would be a lot more open to interpratation but i liked it all the same. Very low budget film as well. The Director has said it is gonna be a part of a trilogy!? Not sure how that will pan out.
    yah that was my biggest complaint about the movie... was hoping for something more psychological... or atleast wait to diffuse the drama til the very last minute... dont give me an hour of knowing the ending

as long as people are mentioning good films to wash the taste of stupid out of this thread... check out "russian ark"... its a bit slow, but from a visual/cinematography standpoint its stunning... 96 minutes... not a single cut
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    i hate to backtrack here, through the 'moon' and hitchcock discussions, back to the godfather trilogy. i really feel that the third installment, although nowhere near the benchmark set by the first two, is a great piece of cinema. yeah, i said it. the story is a solid one (despite the poorly executed love story between mary and vincent), and it provides a natural closure to the story of michael corleone. sure, one can rightfully rag on sofia coppola's extreme lack of acting talent, but her role is actually quite small. the negativity surrounding her poor skills is completely overblown, and she does not get that much screen time.

although it's not perfect like its predecessors, the godfather, part iii is a great movie, and i can say without shame that i ranked it 9/10 on imdb.

...of course it woulda been a 10/10 had the whole "he's you're first cousin"/"then i'll love him first" dialogue never occurred.