Went from a Comparison of Films to a Film Discussion

Comments

• DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    I think its because people who say 'This is the greatest film ever' also tend to rope The Matrix and Star Wars in that bracket. They are both great films but in a dumb down, popcorn eating kinda way.

If there is a copy of the Godfather in the house (i think my brother may have left it) i will make an effort to watch it over the weekend.

Besides Keanu's family, someone has put The Matix in the "best movie of all time" bracket??? In that case, I nominate Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure - Keanu's only believable role, dude.

Some people do yes.

I think Bill & Ted is the only film keanu has actually 'acted' in. Every other is him playing himeslf :lol:

See, I think the exact opposite... lol
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    Theovl316 wrote:
    ".....Godfather is just...well dull. Overall-10/10
    Not at all. What separates The Godfather from any other mob movie?
    I'll tell you, nothing. Its a family study that tends to not be as effective since it is a family set on doing nothing the whole movie. Emotionless characters make this a pain to watch."

This person HAS to be kidding!!!! Dull??? Emotionless??? C'mon...
    Someone give me the order...I'll do it clean!!

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

yes Godfather.
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,710
    I think its because people who say 'This is the greatest film ever' also tend to rope The Matrix and Star Wars in that bracket. They are both great films but in a dumb down, popcorn eating kinda way.

If there is a copy of the Godfather in the house (i think my brother may have left it) i will make an effort to watch it over the weekend.

Besides Keanu's family, someone has put The Matix in the "best movie of all time" bracket??? In that case, I nominate Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure - Keanu's only believable role, dude.
    What about Point Break?
    pointbreak.jpeg
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Poncier wrote:

What about Point Break?
    pointbreak.jpeg

2 fist pumps!

billandted460.jpg
  • Digital TwilightDigital Twilight Posts: 5,642
    BinFrog wrote:

Uhh, no.

Not sure what your saying 'no' to here.

Star Wars and The Matrix are the greatest film ever or is it the opposite?
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    This person's thoughts do not warrant a response. The Godfather is the greatest story ever told. Period.

It's portrayal about the struggles of an immigrant family during the great depression, a father raising his sons, shaping their individual vision of the American Dream, is brilliant. Will never be topped.

Beautifully put. The Godfather is my favorite film of all time simply for what you've just described. Comparing it to New Moon is offensive and sickening. Personally, I'm sick to death of all the Vampire shows and movies...I think it's kind of a lame trend and eventually it'll die an inevitable death. Timeless story telling, such as The Godfather, will never die. That story has stood the test of time, and will for years to come.

I find the movie to be incredible, and yet I think the book is twice as good.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    BinFrog wrote:

Uhh, no.

Not sure what your saying 'no' to here.

Star Wars and The Matrix are the greatest film ever or is it the opposite?

I'm saying people who know what they are talking about when they say the GF series are cinematic masterpieces are not going to lump SW and The Matrix in as well.

You can make the case for SW because of how ahead of its time it was (the first 3 installments) I suppose.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
    norm wrote:
    If that's a joke then it's hilarious

If it is real, that is very sad...betcha this person will have a successful career as a movie critic though
    He's submitting his resume to the NY Times.
    computernerd-450x341.jpg
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Poncier wrote:
    norm wrote:
    If that's a joke then it's hilarious

If it is real, that is very sad...betcha this person will have a successful career as a movie critic though
    He's submitting his resume to the NY Times.
    computernerd-450x341.jpg

LMAO!
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    dcfaithful wrote:
    This person's thoughts do not warrant a response. The Godfather is the greatest story ever told. Period.

It's portrayal about the struggles of an immigrant family during the great depression, a father raising his sons, shaping their individual vision of the American Dream, is brilliant. Will never be topped.

Beautifully put. The Godfather is my favorite film of all time simply for what you've just described. Comparing it to New Moon is offensive and sickening. Personally, I'm sick to death of all the Vampire shows and movies...I think it's kind of a lame trend and eventually it'll die an inevitable death. Timeless story telling, such as The Godfather, will never die. That story has stood the test of time, and will for years to come.

The second Godfather is equally as good.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful

2 fist pumps!

billandted460.jpg
    Excellent!
    2927754818_49e77eb7dc_o.jpg
    norm wrote:
    Flagg wrote:
    Ugh. I don't even know what to say.

Is anyone else absolutely fucking sick of vampires by now. I mean, seriously?

I've never understood the fascination with vampires

Thank Christ I'm not alone..
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    The Godfather teabags all other movies. Period.

I am now going to put that on a shirt.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    Newch91 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

The second Godfather is equally as good.

Indeed it is. A lot of people claim it to be over-hyped...but I think it deserves every amount of recognition it has received.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:

With a picture of Fredo teabagging Edward Vampire whatever his name is (haven't actulayy seen any Twilight movies, as shocking as that may seem)
    Poncier wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

With a picture of Fredo teabagging Edward Vampire whatever his name is (haven't actulayy seen any Twilight movies, as shocking as that may seem)

I was thinking Sonny would teabag the vampire dude.
    Newch91 wrote:
    Poncier wrote:

Sonny would just smash a metal trashcan over him and bite his knuckles. :lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    Newch91 wrote:

It'll have much greater impact if Fredo does it.
    "I'm smart, not dumb, I can do things"
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    Poncier wrote:

Sonny would just smash a metal trashcan over him and bite his knuckles. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    [quote="BinFrogI'm saying people who know what they are talking about when they say the GF series are cinematic masterpieces are not going to lump SW and The Matrix in as well.

You can make the case for SW because of how ahead of its time it was (the first 3 installments) I suppose.[/quote]

Ok, good and i suspect i will agree with you once i have seen The Godfather.

Back to the original point of the thread, i will never watch any of them silly adolescent vampire bollocks of a movie(s) unless i am watching it with an extremely hot women and i am guaranteed the greatest blow job of my life as a reward for sitting through that tripe.

The person who posted that should probably be isolated from mankind until he dies so that we may prevent his stupidity contaminating the population!
    Poncier wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

Not shocking. Actually, it indicates that you respect your time and taste. I have no interest in seeing those movies. I normally don't bash on things I don't try myself...but I have no problem doing that in this case. I am certain I will not gain an ounce of anything but anger and regret from those movies.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    Back to the original point of the thread, i will never watch any of them silly adolescent vampire bollocks of a movie(s) unless i am watching it with an extremely hot women and i am guaranteed the greatest blow job of my life as a reward for sitting through that tripe.

Dude...even that would be pretty hard for me to agree too. I mean, you could probably find an equally satisfying blow job just down the street for under $15...and you won't want to gouge your eyes out....well maybe you will, but hey...you will not have to watch teeny bopper romance.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    [

Back to the original point of the thread, i will never watch any of them silly adolescent vampire bollocks of a movie(s) unless i am watching it with an extremely hot women and i am guaranteed the greatest blow job of my life as a reward for sitting through that tripe!

Pass the popcorn:
    real-ugly-face.jpg
    You know, because the author of those books is from Utah, the Twilight thing is at large here. Sadly enough, I see more middle-aged soccer moms indulging in all of it's glory than I do the expected pre-teens.

Another wonderful reason to love Utah, all the adults are enjoying fantasizing about teenage vampire love.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    Poncier wrote:
    [

Back to the original point of the thread, i will never watch any of them silly adolescent vampire bollocks of a movie(s) unless i am watching it with an extremely hot women and i am guaranteed the greatest blow job of my life as a reward for sitting through that tripe!

Pass the popcorn:
    real-ugly-face.jpg

Did Sloth have a daughter?
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    dcfaithful wrote:
    You know, because the author of those books is from Utah, the Twilight thing is at large here. Sadly enough, I see more middle-aged soccer moms indulging in all of it's glory than I do the expected pre-teens.

Another wonderful reason to love Utah, all the adults are enjoying fantasizing about teenage vampire love.

Yeah, that's even worse.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    "The Freshman," in which Brando plays a caricature of the Godfather is a million times better than this Twilight bullshit.
  • Poncier, you are the man! The Fredo reference was priceless! :lol:
    Bristow, VA (5/13/10)
  • HammerdonkeyHammerdonkey Posts: 550

One of the great things about it is you can see Pacino (much like his Scarface character) begins the movie with one persona and then elevates to a completely different person by the end. It's pretty cool to see that kind of transformation on film. Especially if you study film.

Citizen Kane has been listed as #1 or #2 all time by many. Personally, I think it sort of sucks. The Godfather i and II will not disappoint.

One of the great things about it is you can see Pacino (much like his Scarface character) begins the movie with one persona and then elevates to a completely different person by the end. It's pretty cool to see that kind of transformation on film. Especially if you study film.

Citizen Kane has been listed as #1 or #2 all time by many. Personally, I think it sort of sucks. The Godfather i and II will not disappoint.

Agreed. Both 1 and 2 of the Godfather trumps Citizen Kane in my opinion as well. We had to watch it in a film history class and I was disappointed after being told it was the greatest thing in cinema.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL