Went from a Comparison of Films to a Film Discussion

Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
edited May 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
This was originally a thread about a comparison of "The Godfather" to "New Moon". Someone read somewhere on IMDB that someone wrote about and said New Moon is better than "The Godfather." Here's the link to the board and what someone else wrote.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068646/boa ... /162988824

When I first read this I thought it was a hilarious joke soon came to realize he wasn't kidding...

Honestly I found New Moon to be the stronger film. Sure it has its weaknesses but overall it is simply the more profound film. The performances are vastly underrated, and the special effects here are top notch. Really there are just too many mob movies out there for The Godfather to be considered a classic, where this film is truly one of a kind. it is a story similar to Romeo and Juliet where forbidden love sort of takes a role. It is filled with emotion and passion and you can tell the directors main focus was making this film a unique, thrilling and provocative movie. I really, truly admire the hard work put into such a film, and think it is one of the finest films of the cinema of the past half-century. One of the most impressive movies you will ever see, whereas the Godfather is just...well dull. Overall-10/10
Not at all. What separates The Godfather from any other mob movie?
I'll tell you, nothing. Its a family study that tends to not be as effective since it is a family set on doing nothing the whole movie. Emotionless characters make this a pain to watch. Bella Swan is a modern girl and I can relate many people I have come to know to her which makes her a very realistic and compelling character. Edward is mysterious and that adds to the great suspense of the movie. Jacob is the more protective type and that is admirable and allows his character to be felt and cared for. The dark setting brings out the darkness in all of them. It has great themes that speak to the audience. The Godfather lacks this element.
Yes I am "for real". I think with the points I have been making, one could tell how influential and inspirational I found this movie to be. It is pure brilliant craftsmanship and while The Godfather had a couple of scenes that had potential to make the film a masterpiece, as a whole, New Moon is the significantly more effective of the two
kids these days...
Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
"Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mrveddersonmrvedderson Posts: 784
    ........................ :|
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,825
    That's hilarious.
  • Was this posted on 4/1/2010?
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Well yeah, I mean the Godfather has the Godfather, but New Moon has vampires. Vampires can totally take the mob in a fair fight, not that either groups really fight fair.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Was this posted on 4/1/2010?

Was it? Aw shit...let me check.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    This person's thoughts do not warrant a response. The Godfather is the greatest story ever told. Period.

It's portrayal about the struggles of an immigrant family during the great depression, a father raising his sons, shaping their individual vision of the American Dream, is brilliant. Will never be topped.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    This person's thoughts do not warrant a response. The Godfather is the greatest story ever told. Period.

It's portrayal about the struggles of an immigrant family during the great depression, a father raising his sons, shaping their individual vision of the American Dream, is brilliant. Will never be topped.

I don't know, Stepbrothers is pretty good.

There are only a few masterpieces I can think of and The Godfather is one of them. The others, I think, are: The Godfather II, Goodfellas, Raging Bull, and Star Wars (A New Hope and Empire).
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    eyedclaar wrote:

I don't know, Stepbrothers is pretty good.
    :lol: That too.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    Newch91 wrote:
    There are only a few masterpieces I can think of and The Godfather is one of them. The others, I think, are: The Godfather II, Goodfellas, Raging Bull, and Star Wars (A New Hope and Empire).
    And twighlight :lol: :roll: :twisted: :o
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Newch91 wrote:
    ...board. Someone read somewhere on IMDB that someone wrote about and said New Moon is better than "The Godfather." Here's the link to the board and what someone else wrote.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068646/boa ... /162988824

When I first read this I thought it was a hilarious joke soon came to realize he wasn't kidding...

Honestly I found New Moon to be the stronger film. Sure it has its weaknesses but overall it is simply the more profound film. The performances are vastly underrated, and the special effects here are top notch. Really there are just too many mob movies out there for The Godfather to be considered a classic, where this film is truly one of a kind. it is a story similar to Romeo and Juliet where forbidden love sort of takes a role. It is filled with emotion and passion and you can tell the directors main focus was making this film a unique, thrilling and provocative movie. I really, truly admire the hard work put into such a film, and think it is one of the finest films of the cinema of the past half-century. One of the most impressive movies you will ever see, whereas the Godfather is just...well dull. Overall-10/10
    I'll tell you, nothing. Its a family study that tends to not be as effective since it is a family set on doing nothing the whole movie. Emotionless characters make this a pain to watch. Bella Swan is a modern girl and I can relate many people I have come to know to her which makes her a very realistic and compelling character. Edward is mysterious and that adds to the great suspense of the movie. Jacob is the more protective type and that is admirable and allows his character to be felt and cared for. The dark setting brings out the darkness in all of them. It has great themes that speak to the audience. The Godfather lacks this element.
    Yes I am "for real". I think with the points I have been making, one could tell how influential and inspirational I found this movie to be. It is pure brilliant craftsmanship and while The Godfather had a couple of scenes that had potential to make the film a masterpiece, as a whole, New Moon is the significantly more effective of the two
    kids these days...

If that's a joke then it's hilarious

If it is real, that is very sad...betcha this person will have a successful career as a movie critic though
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    edited May 2010
    Ugh. I don't even know what to say.

Is anyone else absolutely fucking sick of vampires by now? I mean, seriously?
    Post edited by Flagg on
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Flagg wrote:

Is anyone else absolutely fucking sick of vampires by now. I mean, seriously?

I've never understood the fascination with vampires
    Flagg wrote:

I'm sick of mountain goats, but we don't even have vampires in Idaho. Crazy Texans...

• FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    norm wrote:
    Flagg wrote:

I've never understood the fascination with vampires

I never minded them before, but now it is just enough already. Give it a freaking break, please. Especially with the fake, touchy-feely, get to know your feelings vampire-lites. Give me Salem's Lot any day.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    ".....Godfather is just...well dull. Overall-10/10
    I'll tell you, nothing. Its a family study that tends to not be as effective since it is a family set on doing nothing the whole movie. Emotionless characters make this a pain to watch."

This person HAS to be kidding!!!! Dull??? Emotionless??? C'mon...
    Someone give me the order...I'll do it clean!!
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Theovl316 wrote:
    ".....Godfather is just...well dull. Overall-10/10
    I'll tell you, nothing. Its a family study that tends to not be as effective since it is a family set on doing nothing the whole movie. Emotionless characters make this a pain to watch."

This person HAS to be kidding!!!! Dull??? Emotionless??? C'mon...
    Someone give me the order...I'll do it clean!!

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.
  • I'm more tired of stinkbugs. In Pennsylvania, they are EVERYWHERE! :lol::lol::lol:
    Bristow, VA (5/13/10)
  • HammerdonkeyHammerdonkey Posts: 550
    The New Moon movies are cute. I like vampires and werewolves as much as the next guy, but they aren't movies that I'll watch in 30 or 40 years because the vampires and werewolves that come out over that time will be even more awesome and able to do more superhuman things. Until New Moon, I wasn't aware the vampires could run at the speed of light. Who knows what they'll be able to do in 10 years.

The Godfather teabags all other movies. Period.
  • Digital TwilightDigital Twilight Posts: 5,642
    I love films. I studied film for 2 years in college. I have seen (without exaggeration) about 250 - 300 films in 18 the past 18 months (verified by my love film account). I watch a wide variety from old 40s - 50s, foreign and independant cinema but.....

I HAVE NEVER SEEN THE GODFATHER!!!!!!!!!!!
    Also, my wife read the 4th book. What a load of shit this Twilight saga has turned out to be.

I hate when a writer runs out of good storyline but tries to milk the franchise for all they can instead of stopping. The whole ending is just real fucking terrible, if I may say .
    I love films. I studied film for 2 years in college. I have seen (without exaggeration) about 250 - 300 films in 18 the past 18 months (verified by my love film account). I watch a wide variety from old 40s - 50s, foreign and independant cinema but.....

Then you, my friend, are not a fan of films. Sit your ass down and watch cinma's greatest gift to mankind.

Well, that and Bull Durham.

Then you, my friend, are not a fan of films. Sit your ass down and watch cinma's greatest gift to mankind.

The problem is its so hyped up it cant possibly be as good as people build it up to be. Can it?

I will get round to it one day, no question its just there are SO MANY films to watch.

The problem is its so hyped up it cant possibly be as good as people build it up to be. Can it?

I will get round to it one day, no question its just there are SO MANY films to watch.

It's as good as people build it up to be. It's that good. The second one is equally as good.

It is not as touchy-feely a movie as Scarface, but it gets the job done.
    I think its because people who say 'This is the greatest film ever' also tend to rope The Matrix and Star Wars in that bracket. They are both great films but in a dumb down, popcorn eating kinda way.

If there is a copy of the Godfather in the house (i think my brother may have left it) i will make an effort to watch it over the weekend.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309

It is not as touchy-feely a movie as Scarface, but it gets the job done.

Yeah, and Coppola's daughter puts on an acting display unlike any other in the 3rd installment. Pure brilliance.

(i.e. you only need to watch 1 and 2)
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I think its because people who say 'This is the greatest film ever' also tend to rope The Matrix and Star Wars in that bracket. They are both great films but in a dumb down, popcorn eating kinda way.

Uhh, no.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"

If there is a copy of the Godfather in the house (i think my brother may have left it) i will make an effort to watch it over the weekend.

Besides Keanu's family, someone has put The Matix in the "best movie of all time" bracket??? In that case, I nominate Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure - Keanu's only believable role, dude.

Besides Keanu's family, someone has put The Matix in the "best movie of all time" bracket??? In that case, I nominate Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure - Keanu's only believable role, dude.

Some people do yes.

I think Bill & Ted is the only film keanu has actually 'acted' in. Every other is him playing himeslf :lol: