Options

Bonnaroo Schedule Released

Comments

• Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,211
    Something I just noticed..

in 2005, Dave Matthews Band was a headliner, and the time slot they were given was 8:30 - 9:30PM

Dunno where you're seeing that, but that's wrong. They had at least until 11:30, maybe even midnight. Most headliners have been given variations on the 9:00-12:00 slot, plus or minus :30, and most have not played through the entire slot.

If you're looking on the Bonnaroo page at previous years' schedules- don't trust them. Something is wrong with the formatting or something.
  • Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    AndySlash wrote:
    No shit- all you people getting your undies in a wad need to chill the fuck out. And those of you using the schedule to justify being glad you're not going are just falling into their own self-fulfilling prophecies. If the band wants to play over their slot, they can- no one will stop them. There's no curfew, nobody on after them, no obligation to quit because of bands on other stages...

So, IF they stick to two hours (which they won't- Lolla is proof enough of this), then it's on the band and no one else. If they're feelin' the show, and the crowd is feelin' the show, there's no telling what could happen. I mean, don't plan on another State College or anything, but I don't think 2:30 is unreasonable guess as to how long they'll be on.

I agree with you here. I'm pretty sure it was PJ's call to do a two hour slot and I'm also pretty sure they plan on holding to that (barring a great crowd). However, it's a bit suprising to see them doing that when I was really expecting them to pull out some marathon set for the ages.

Instead the 70 year old Phil lesh and cronies will have to show them how it's done.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,211
    djonesr wrote:
    I highly doubt that they will play much later than 12:15.

Why? Because that's what it says on the schedule?

I'm telling you guys, there's plenty of wiggle room. They'll go past 12:15, I guarantee it. They'll probably not do another State College length set, but I'd wager at least a 12:45 sign off.
  • Options
    MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Phil Lesh for 4 FUCKING HOURS!?!?!?!?! No way he's gonna make it
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Options
    Big EdBig Ed Posts: 331
    "it was sarcasm at everyone complaining about the possibility of PJ only playing 2 hours"

I know it was sarcasm....I just couldnt pass up the opportunity to use Kordell Stewart and Suck in the same sentence! HA!

But if your sarcastic prediction comes true.....I'm going to flog you to death with my terrible towel.
    Ignoring Rusted Signs
  • Options
    rudelukerudeluke Posts: 7
    the first year i went to bonnaroo in 2003 Particle (this band no one ever heard of at the time) had a 2-4AM slot saturday night....they played until 10AM it was epic....i left at 9AM cause my body just shut down....

these time slots are meant to be broken and the bands, fans and organizers love it when they do cause that's when the magic happens.....seeing as PJ has the last show on the main stage they can go as long as you can.....!

hope to see a bunch of you in 3 weeks and throughout June!!!!
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Check out Friday's schedule!

They start your day off with Drive by Truckers at 12:30 ... and rock you all day til midnight when My Morning Jacket go from midnight til 3am.....

That would be a hell of a long day for me because there is no way i coudl go see the truckers without slamming back some brews :)

I'd probably get drunk.. sober up and then party again late night.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    cool that no other shows are going on during this performance. gonna be lots of ppl watching..
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    KDH12KDH12 Posts: 2,096

this is all I am saying, shit I am not even going to BonnERoo....

but why phil lesh gets such a priority I am not sure.....

if I wanted to she phil I would got to one of the 3 or 4 shows he plays in chicago every year.......
    **CUBS GO ALL THE WAY IN......never **
  • Options
    GangstacroGangstacro Posts: 104
    FYI, if anyone wants to check out an amazing guitarist, go check out Back Door Slam playing on Thursday. I've seen them and the dude is a sicko guitarist, ala hedrix/clapton/bb king/ray vaughn
  • Options
    weekapaungweekapaung Posts: 11
    Just to let you all know. At Bonnaroo, there is a 12:30am curfew on the What Stage (which is the main stage that Pearl Jam is playing on) due to surrounding neighbors. So, they can go on early, mix with Jack Johnson a bit, or just play the 2 hour or 2 hr. 15 min. they are scheduled for.

I personally am very disappointed by this news. I was worried about this happening as soon as the Allman Brothers Band cancelled and they made the announcement of JJ sharing the stage with PJ on Sat. night. I can definitely see Eddie playing several songs with Jack but Pearl Jam as a whole probably won't play much more than 2 hours.

All in all, this isn't that bad, as Bonnaroo is more about the experience, people, and good times, but it is disappointing that the number 1 headliner doesn't get a full blown 3 hour time slot like a lot of us were hoping for, since this is Bonnaroo, home of the EPIC show.
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    rudeluke wrote:
    the first year i went to bonnaroo in 2003 Particle (this band no one ever heard of at the time) had a 2-4AM slot saturday night....they played until 10AM it was epic....i left at 9AM cause my body just shut down....

these time slots are meant to be broken and the bands, fans and organizers love it when they do cause that's when the magic happens.....seeing as PJ has the last show on the main stage they can go as long as you can.....!

hope to see a bunch of you in 3 weeks and throughout June!!!!
    :eek:

well, I hope so, I'm just fearful that by 'respect' for the other acts on the other stages they might actually stick to it..

and I'm too looking forward to meet another bunch of new people, as well as hook up with the old ones :D

well, on the good news front of the schedule, State Radio has 2 slots on the Friday :) (after seeing them this week in London, I can't wait to see them again!).. now just got to get a ride from Nashville to Roo in time to see the first one!
  • Options
    djonesrdjonesr Posts: 73

Now Way?

Phil just clocked in a 6 hour show in SF on Sunday. Closing down the Warfield theatre. How about THAT!
  • Options
    djonesrdjonesr Posts: 73
    AndySlash wrote:
    Why? Because that's what it says on the schedule?

I'm telling you guys, there's plenty of wiggle room. They'll go past 12:15, I guarantee it. They'll probably not do another State College length set, but I'd wager at least a 12:45 sign off.

Why? I guess I'm just being a pessimist. I remember getting that sick feeling when I heard that JJ was going to do an extended "sunset" performance. Back then, I could "feel" the schedule showing PJ with a shorter time slot.

I guess I should be glad they aren't scheduled for 90 minutes.

2 hours is short. Period. There's nothing more you can say about that. It is short for a PJ show and it is short for a bonnaroo headliner. We are getting jipped.
  • Options
    sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,033
    I just went through my bootlegs, and yeah a lot of great shows are 2:30 or so. But a lot of them aren't.

Some of my absolute favorites are less than 2:10. All they have to do is cut out the encore break, and they buy themselves a lot more time. Maybe just do one rather than two.

The length of the show doesn't really say anything about the quality. State College was cool a few years ago, but it was sloppy as hell. I would rather have a tight 2 hours, where they are all in sync.

I think this is going to epic, the kids on the roo board I read are really fucking psyched about PJ, they have been clamoring for this for years. PJ is going to come out and kill it, just watch.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,852
    I'd be unhappy but it's hard to when I know that the festival is so fucking good that Sigur Ros is playing a 1am set shortly thereafter.

Besides, they will be tight in two hours. And who honestly thinks they are going to be kicked off the stage at the two-hour mark? They are at a farm in the middle of nowhere for Christ sakes!
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    wow, you are all crazy..especially the ones complaining who aren't going to Bonnaroo.
  • Options
    AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    It will be a 2 plus bottle show! Im callin 3 hrs flat. No more no less, mark my words.
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    what defines a 'headliner'?

i'm just not understanding.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    wickedmonkeyzwickedmonkeyz Posts: 489
    brainofPJ wrote:
    what defines a 'headliner'?

i'm just not understanding.

no different than any other festival

however, in years past the headliners for each night were typically given 2.5-4 hours of set time

that's why some, myself included, are disappointed that Pearl Jam was given 2 hours

not to mention that everyone on this board knows they normally play longer than that on their own, and have the ability to play much longer

some of the sickest shows over the years were at bonnaroo...ask anyone who's been before, it's just a magical weekend where all rules are thrown out the door...the mars volta in 2005...my morning jacket and radiohead in 2006...the flaming lips in 2007

the most logical reasoning for their set time was the allman brothers stepping down...widespread panic got added to fill their place before Pearl Jam...however, they moved to the Sunday headliner and now Jack Johnson will be playing before PJ...and for whatever reason the bands on the main stage for saturday are starting later than normal...I was expecting Pearl Jam to play from 9-12...as has roughly been the case every year in the past
    looking for 2 to Columbia...

***GOT EM***
  • Options
    wickedmonkeyzwickedmonkeyz Posts: 489
    on a side note...anybody see they are offering free shaves in centeroo?

gotta love the irony there
    looking for 2 to Columbia...

***GOT EM***
  • Options
    HollermanHollerman Posts: 41
    Good Lord, I have not heard this much belly aching since I told my six kids to clean their bedrooms or we weren't going to see Indiana Jones tomorrow.

As an example, Radiohead was to play 8:30 until 11. I think they finished sometime after 12 closer to 12:30.

If you have not been to Bonnaroo; I think you will be surprised. If you are afraid of missing Phil Lesh's set, then you are not a Pearl Jam fan!

Could you sell your tickets on ebay? YES!
  • Options
    hollerman wrote:
    Good Lord, I have not heard this much belly aching since I told my six kids to clean their bedrooms or we weren't going to see Indiana Jones tomorrow.

As an example, Radiohead was to play 8:30 until 11. I think they finished sometime after 12 closer to 12:30.

If you have not been to Bonnaroo; I think you will be surprised. If you are afraid of missing Phil Lesh's set, then you are not a Pearl Jam fan!

Could you sell your tickets on ebay? YES!
    yeah but someone pointed the main stage has a curfew.
    if this is true, the late start means they won't be able to play longer, unlike your example..

I have a bad feeling about it, I hope I'm wrong, couldn't care less about Phil whatever (never even heard of the guy let alone his music) and I'll see Sigur Ros in Werchter anyway.
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    I'm hoping since they "bought the farm" (hahahaha) the curfew has been set aside this year. I believe it was in the contract that no band played after 12:30 but maybe that has gone bye bye now that they own the land.

I think JJ will play an hour and a half alone, then they mix it up some. I still have a pretty good feeling all in all.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 734
    Pegasus wrote:
    :eek:

well, I hope so, I'm just fearful that by 'respect' for the other acts on the other stages they might actually stick to it..

and I'm too looking forward to meet another bunch of new people, as well as hook up with the old ones :D

well, on the good news front of the schedule, State Radio has 2 slots on the Friday :) (after seeing them this week in London, I can't wait to see them again!).. now just got to get a ride from Nashville to Roo in time to see the first one!
    yeah...on respect...Sigur Ros starts at 1:00AM and I know for sure Jeff likes them...and I think Ed too...so I can see them at least trying to make that gig (I know I want to make that one)...but it'll probably depend on how things are going in front of What Stage that decides if they will play longer.

ds
    And no one sings me lullabyes
    And no one makes me close my eyes
    So I throw the windows wide
    And call to you across the sky....
  • Options
    DarkStar wrote:
    yeah...on respect...Sigur Ros starts at 1:00AM and I know for sure Jeff likes them...and I think Ed too...so I can see them at least trying to make that gig (I know I want to make that one)...but it'll probably depend on how things are going in front of What Stage that decides if they will play longer.

ds
    so lets make sure they don't want to leave :D..
    I'm counting on you..you know I'll get you to the barrier if you're up for it ;)
  • Options
    HatfieldHatfield Posts: 122
    pjalive21 wrote:
    you guys do understand this is a festival.....right?????

2 hours is more than generous for this type of setting, if you wanted a longer set you should by tickets to the east coast shows

i dont get some of the thinking around here sometimes

I guess it has been said plenty but regardless of what the old b-roo website says about DMB in 05, Headliners at Bonnaroo usually have a 8:30-11:30 or 8:00-12:00 time slot. That is what people are thinking around here.

For those that haven't been, you will be so blown away by the atmosphere, people and sense of community that Pearl Jam's set will be magical regardless of 2 hours or 2 and 1/2 hours.

Finally, stick around for Sunday night and go see Widespread Panic. If you think pearl jam covers Neil Young well, you should see how Panic does it. You might just like it.
    '96 - 10/5
    '98 - 9/1 9/4 9/18
    '00 - 8/6 8/7 8/15 8/17 9/5
    '03 - 4/9 4/15 4/19 7/11 7/12
    '04 - 10/6 10/8
    '05 - 9/11 9/12 9/13 9/15
    '06 - 5/27 5/28 7/7 7/13 7/18 7/22 7/23
  • Options
    velogatorvelogator Posts: 174
    I saw this over on the Roo board:

"according to Jack Johnsons web page he will be playing a few songs with pearl jam b4 their regular set, to fill in for the allman brothers slot. "

I'm thinking maybe something like the Gorge 05, a nice 10 song set to kick things off (at the end of JJ's set) then 2 hours of mayhem during their slot, that's my theory and I'm sticking to it ;-) Anyway, just looking forward to the whole weekend, should be awesome.
    Manchester, TN - 2008
    Washington, D.C. - 2008
    Philadelphia, PA I - 2009
    Bristow, VA - 2010
    Baltimore, MD - 2013
    Milwaukee, WI - 2014
    Hampton, VA - 2016
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    no different than any other festival

not sure what you mean...

Pearl Jam were the headliners at lolla last year, so it made sense to me that they closed out the festival

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,315
    velogator wrote:
    I saw this over on the Roo board:

"according to Jack Johnsons web page he will be playing a few songs with pearl jam b4 their regular set, to fill in for the allman brothers slot. "

I'm thinking maybe something like the Gorge 05, a nice 10 song set to kick things off (at the end of JJ's set) then 2 hours of mayhem during their slot, that's my theory and I'm sticking to it ;-) Anyway, just looking forward to the whole weekend, should be awesome.

That is a reasonable explanation - you are gonna see and Ed and Jack burn a few acoustic...followed by a 2hr PJ set. You'll get a good show - wish I was going